turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Something I've noticed..  (Read 5405 times)

Maeve

• Topic Author
Something I've noticed..
«: January 24, 2008, 03:02:33 PM»
(I don't know if this is supposed to be strictly art-related conversation, but whatever)

l:<

Recently, I've seen alot more people than usual giving new users a hard time.

I don't see why they have to be ambushed when they ask questions, or given a hard time because they don't write as well as everyone else.

It's starting to tick me off, calling everyone twinks and what not, just because they are roleplaying 'wrong'. Chances are they're probably younger than you think, and don't know all the rules.

I mean, maybe I'm the only one who gives a shit, but if people had treated me the way I see users treating newbs now, I probably would have never bothered logging back in. ):
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:07:17 PM by Maeve »

Offline Tate

Re: Something I've noticed..
«Reply #1: January 24, 2008, 09:57:29 PM»
I generally will only give a n00b a hard time, but rarely a newb, if you catch my drift..

I tend to try and help newbs, whenever I see them, and see that they are honestly clueless. But with furc, you honestly have to be hard hearted sometimes, and either ignore them, or tell them to go away, as they tend to actually be idiots, and not just clueless. Or sometimes trolls...

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: January 25, 2008, 07:46:21 PM»
yeah. well.
when i was a newb, people treated my like crap.
i was probably typing wrong or not acting cool enough.
lolwtf.

Offline Hyorin

«Reply #3: January 27, 2008, 10:33:14 AM»
newbs just need a helping hand most of the time, with rping and navigating and stuff. i hang out with newbs a lot, they can be real sweethearts. n00bs/trolls are the idiots.

Sookan

• Topic Author
«Reply #4: January 27, 2008, 11:34:23 AM»
yeah. well.
lolwtf.

get away! AI table is for rl cool people 8)

i actually had it good. ive always typed properly... i wont have anyone tell me i was once a noob/newb, cause i wasnt k.

when i came to furcadia i was already literate... people helped me along withthe shortcuts and macros, and besides that the only slip-up i had with roleplaying is that i autohit.. once. i fought some fox and tried to stomp on her head and she was all "wtf you're literate, how comes u autohit?!?" so i was like "wth is autohit??" and yeah. its all good

i think that really people who go looking for trouble tend to find it. its great being friendly and all but i dont like random bright blue furres walking up to me in Naia when im trying to find out why the forums DIED and having them go SEXYBLUETHANG32314433434 3241 TAGZ U. i dont make a fuss, i just ignore them, but i dont like it. furcadia isnt a chat room, you'd have to have a skull like fort knox to have missed that. its like furryfuck(sorry) central. to quote encyclopedia dramatica, "the epitome of all that is evil".

i cant stand stupid people just like i cant stand knowitalls. im both so they cancel each other out ;D

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #5: January 27, 2008, 03:01:11 PM»
lol.
like.
i was a newb to everything.
sure, i was literate. but i hardly knew how to roleplay, least know how to use the " : " command when posting.
but.
i guess i caught on by watching others.

it's a good feeling when you're just the new kid who doesn't know how to roleplay and the next day someone compliments you on how you're the greatest. shut up, i'm not being too full of myself here. just saying.

but yeah. on and off i see people who CAN roleplay, who KNOW how to navigate furcadia, but are complete asses to people they don't like. they can go troll my ass.

Offline r i l e y

«Reply #6: January 28, 2008, 08:27:08 AM»
I have to associate with them all the time myself honestly, but I suppose it's the length of time I've put aside just for them that's got me so tolerant of everything they do. New users can easily mistake what you say since text doesn't hold emotion like flat out speech does, and they can snap if they think you're offending them. It's really just patience that so many people lack that makes it so difficult for people to get along with them.

The only grudge I hold against any of them is that if one of them whines to me about something someone did to them, then they haven't told me the full story and they wind up having dug their own grave.. :\

Maeve

• Topic Author
«Reply #7: January 28, 2008, 03:04:45 PM»
yeah. well.
lolwtf.

I don't know how I survived.
When I started playing furc, I was ten. that was 7 years ago. xD

But then again, i was a pretty smart kid. To bad my intelligence is spiralling downwards. 8)

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #8: January 28, 2008, 04:41:38 PM»
yeah. well.
lolwtf.

But then again, i was a pretty smart kid. To bad my intelligence is spiralling downwards. 8)

haha. if I were a ten year old who just started Furc like.. nowadays I'd be intimidated. it was different back then I guess. less people = less crapasses. but whatevs. i wasn't really there back then so I'm only assuming. lol.

Offline Sync

«Reply #9: January 28, 2008, 04:57:49 PM»
yeah. well.
lolwtf.

haha. if I were a ten year old who just started Furc like.. nowadays I'd be intimidated. it was different back then I guess. less people = less crapasses. but whatevs. i wasn't really there back then so I'm only assuming. lol.
i think that people seem to get worse because you meet more people the longer you're on a game, thus running into more assholes on the way.

Offline Tate

«Reply #10: January 28, 2008, 10:12:58 PM»
That would probably be it, Sana. I used to be pretty nice to everyone, and extremely open at the drop of a hat.

Now, when people whisper me, I hold my breath, waiting for some insults. I generally am very cautious about starting any sort of conversation anywhere, unless I know the people are my friends... And, hell, even around my so called friends, I can be very quick to become defensive, because I'm so used to people just turning around and MFing me.

Out of all the places on the internet I've ever been, furnation.com and furcadia are the two most insulting, decrepit, backstabbing places, ever.

Offline Noki

«Reply #11: February 03, 2008, 12:53:52 AM»
Furcadia would benefit from a way to help people find people who are of similar mindsets and interests.
Well, I think they do: dreams. It's just way too bad that people don't dreamhop as much as they used to, they'd prefer to stay in one familiar dream with close friends - and I don't blame them, a lot of good people are defensive because of the dicks who somehow find a way to get up your ass (as mentioned).

I remember coming here 10 years ago and how patient most of the people back then were. Poor newbies these days get a lot of stress.

Offline Morte

«Reply #12: February 08, 2008, 06:29:36 AM»
Spending time in Furcadia has some effect on you, I was unfortunate to not have a Welcomer welcome me to Furcadia, to show me the ropes. Its prolly the reason why I have the habbit of doing things on my own.

I also have a feeling that the new players to Furcadia don't know how important they can be for them. Its not a problem to simply ask them whats what either.
Then again we (as thoughs that aren't Welcomers) don't put effort into helping because we may have been the unfortunate ones to learn from the beginning that no one cares, how this game can effect people in a way. (That and some people like teasing the new players)

9 years ago people where allot more friendly and helpfull, if compared to now its completly different.
Can't access dA, you can whisper me on Lyssic, email me at [email protected] or send me a pm through here if you wish to commission me.

Offline Noki

«Reply #13: February 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM»
There might be a lack in Welcomers? I don't see many of my newly created alts get a greeting or a offer to be toured anymore.
I think that maybe newbies here are actually EXPECTING not to be helped. They're probably either really young and come from a real life world that seems far more rushed and unwelcome than a world years ago, or they come from a different MMO/RPG (perhaps World of Warcraft) where most replies to an innocent newbie question are silence or degrading mockery.
Any MMO seems to have lowered themselves to a place of bitching and scrapping, poking fun at people, and concentrated on the game economy.

I try to help newbies if I encounter them. Points to the ones that go ahead and whisper me.

Offline Dogtown

«Reply #14: February 08, 2008, 05:47:57 PM»
I actually used to be a welcomer, and right before I... quit... I remember them implementing a system so that you wouldn't have to welcome every person's new alts, only alts on new IPs or something like that.

The problem is, I think for about the entire year I WAS a welcomer only one of the people who I welcomed even whispered me for help. I think starting furc is just very overwhelming with all the shiny buttons and announcements and avatars and dreamportals alot of times the welcome message will simply get missed or accidentally ignored.

I sure as hell don't remember getting a welcome message when I first started furc. But I also seem to recall while a few people did 'lol' when I asked what afk meant or when I typed out my full name before an action instead of :, no one was really super rude to me.

EDIT: This is Anarchy, srry wrong account.

Black Rain

• Topic Author
«Reply #15: February 09, 2008, 05:13:59 AM»
That's odd. Because, I rembmer that every name I made, Even my recent one Good Luck Bear, got a welcome message when I popped on for the first time so, there must still be welcomers around.

As for me, I'm a bitch for a reason. I dislike miss-whispers and even more, I dislike rude and immture people around the tables in AI. They make themselves look bad by putting down people and making fun of thier names and/or talking trash about thier portraits Just so they can make themselves look cool infront of thier friends. If you have to hurt some one's feelings just to make you look cool, your a N00b and, deserve to be treated like shit. That's why I don't stay in AI for long. Too many morons flood them.

Being new to me was hard at first way back then. But, I adapted pretty quickly. I tend to adapt over time and learn for myself.

Offline Bri

«Reply #16: March 01, 2008, 10:06:18 PM»
With me and newbs, I'm usually pretty nice, but I agree with Tachs, not with n00bs. It really depends on my mood, though. Sometimes I'll actually sit on the Welcome Mat in Naia and help a lil' bits, and sometimes I think about applying to be a welcomer, since there really is a big short lately, but. Iono, I have to think about it some more.

I think it's rude to pick on newbs that don't know any better. If you don't want to help them, direct them to someone else who WILL help them, but you don't have to ignore them or be completely rude to them, in my opinion. N00bs are a different story. I don't have the tolerance for pplz tlkin lyk dis nd goin AUTOHITZ BANGBANG when they claim to be so old and claim to have been playing for so long. Simple grammar issues in people that claim to be 15+ doesn't sit well at all to me, such as confusing 'to' with 'too' or 'two', 'its' 'it's', etc. I'm not that prejudice about how you type. you can type like this. Or you can type like this. butz u kant typ liek diz if uz b claim 2 b moar den 10 yrz old kkkkk.

Offline Rat The Unloved

«Reply #17: March 03, 2008, 02:38:47 AM»
I have absolutely no tolerance for people who a: can't type b: can't do anything without their hand being held. If they're genuinely clueless, I help. If they're willfully ignorant I refuse to and pass them to someone who has a more gracious nature.

These are the reasons I have previous considered quitting the pixels. Let me give you a paraphrased log.

A furre has asked how to edit patches. We start by explaining what patches are, and what the patch editor is... I then instructed them to open the FSH editor...
"Click on the "C tab" on your furcadia screen (The tabs are on the left of your Furcadia screen). Then click the button that says Patch Editor."
"OK wher?"
"Click on the C tab on your Furcadia screen. It's the button with the C on it that's in the row that goes A B C D E F...."
"Ok whe?"
"I'm sorry, I don't understand your question."
"don see c but."
"Do you see the row of letters on the LEFT of your screen that go A B C D E F?"
"ya"
"Have you clicked The C tab?"
"O k that"
"Click on that C. Then click on the button in that "Tab" that says Patch Editor."
"wher?"
"I don't understand your question."
"don see the buten"
"What buttons do you see?"
"1s with the places you can go to"
"Okay, that's the B tab. Click on the C tab. It's right next to the B. Just click right on the C."
"then wat?"
"Click on the button that says "Patch Editor"."
"OK?",
"Just click right on the button."
"Which one?"
"Click on the button that says "Patch Editor". In the C tab, on your Furcadia screen."
"made a popup."
"That's the Patch Editor program."
"i closed it how do i get it back"
"Click on the C tab, then click the "Patch editor" button. Just like before. Don't close the window."
"i don see the butten"
"I'm sorry, but I do not believe this is a serious request. I think that you're probably having a good laugh at my expense. Even though I don't think you're serious, I don't want to leave you in the lurch if you are, so I'm going to put you back on the help channel so that someone who is more inclined may figure out what to do."

I was polite about it, but I still had to terminate the call, because I wanted to strangle them, and possibly everyone else. It's people like that - that I absolutely cannot, even slightly, tolerate. In my "offduty" time I have absolutely no trouble, especially on my own map, telling them to get lost. That is not a Newfurre, that is a N00bcaek. And the caek is a lie.

Offline Blue

«Reply #18: March 03, 2008, 08:40:41 AM»
I had it pretty good as a newbie too.  Being literate seriously helps on Furcadia, because when people are using computer lingo, and it's because that's all they know...it really, really gets annoying.  I never had anyone call me a newbie before, and after watching other people roleplay, I followed along with no problem.

Rare are the newbies who actually want to get help from other people though :\  Deciding to try and be cool and fit in, they poke-evolve into either N00bs and Trolls, both of which harass and annoy others to no end.
You Created That.  New Art Commission site in development, stay tuned for art events and projects in the near future!

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #19: March 04, 2008, 06:24:30 AM»
When i first started playing as a newbie on furc 3 years ago, people never noticed me. I was like. just there. And i never asked anyone online for help, because i have a friend who got harassed by some dude because she asked about the ; command. I had her teach me everything. I remember when i used to be a one liner. But now i'm a para rper. Now. if you see me, yeah i'll do one liners, because well, the people i rp with are brand new to rp and i dont want to scare them XD [ had that happen once]

But now, i feel bad for the newbies, because there's alot of assholes i deal with, and theyre just completely inconsiderate. I've reported so many people within the last few months, its not even funny. I just wish this game was alittle friendly, but unfortunately, its turning out like real life here, Hell. I joined this game as a way to escape the real world, but now i feel that furcadia itself is getting too much like it, like with FurN and the harassment of the newbs. Gah, i wish i could do more about these people who harass for no reason, but i'm stuck with my pety reporting.  [ did i wander off topic?] [ Woo! one more year and i can go back in FurN and report people again! ( thats really all i did, cause there's alot of jerks there >>)]

Offline Fwirl

«Reply #20: March 04, 2008, 07:04:30 AM»
jacki. i have to agree with you on everything you said.
although i did get a help message and someone very nice helped me out. i don't remember if they were a beekin or not. hell, i don't even remember their name. i'm pretty sure it was a girl...
anyways.
when i was new, i hardly got noticed. so my super help buddy pal was my only friend. she taught me EVERYTHING. how to whisper, how to do the ; thing, how to give cookies. i was basically ATTACHED to that chick. she was the /only/ nice person i first met on furcadia.
i was hardly noticed.
i think new people are intimidated by all the stuff that goes on in furcadia. (as stated before.)
some people are lucky enough to wander into dreams with friendly people who are willing to help them out. i found one. i wouldn't call it kind but it was at first.  black cat bar in furn. see, i didn't wander around furn. that was the only dream i went to.
when i started hanging out at the furn cafe, i noticed everyone was always picking on or harrassing the new people that came around.
made me frown. and i helped them the best i could.
yeah, sure, i made fun of a few people. but never new people.
ANYWAYS i'm totally blabbering and i doubt any of you will read this post.
long.
post.
is.
long.

(edited to fix typo!)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 07:07:13 AM by Fwirl »

Offline Tony

«Reply #21: March 06, 2008, 03:56:05 AM»
Just go to a private dream if you don't want to deal with them.

Offline Rae

«Reply #22: March 15, 2008, 08:07:17 PM»
yeah. well.
lolwtf.
wow. i think i'm the only one who was accepted as a newb... i bluntly told people too. " hey man im new at this" and they were like Oh. Ok.
and whatever. I even got a pair of wings just because I asked "where can i get me some wings"
and someone said. HOLD ON... 5 mins.
and I got some.
I was like WHOA thanks dude

but anyways .. I dont remember what it's like.
Other than that.
I do know that when I switch names and get lazy with my typing skills (aka now) i get ridiculed... but I ignore it.

Offline Allie

«Reply #23: March 22, 2008, 10:44:04 PM»
i DEFINITELY got picked on a lot (and still am) when i started Furc.
it kinda makes me sick that almost everywhere i go, especially AI, the only things i see typed are insults towards newbies, or to people with alt names that someone else doesn't like.
Seriously, keep it to yourself. if you hate like, idek, the show Laguna Beach, and someone has the alt Lauren Conrad, you don't need to be all "LAGUNA BEACH SUX. GTFO" honestly, it's unnecesarry, and depending on the person, it could make them feel like real shit.
furcadia has turned into assholes and backstabbers from what i've seen. i'm honestly kinda scared to go into dreams now on certain alts and start conversations, because i'm so used to getting harassed. it'd be nice to go into a dream, find chill people, and become friends with them. i have a total of TWO people on furcadia who are actually nice/friendly to me.
i miss how furcadia was a few years ago. ) :

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #24: March 23, 2008, 11:59:58 AM»
haha.
the most anyone could do now is suck it up, let the losers mangle ignorance and move on. (:

anything