turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Opinion please  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Sierra

Opinion please
«: August 19, 2008, 03:47:40 PM»
If someone commissioned a dreamweaver to do a dream for them, do you think the commissioner should be able to make any edits they want to the dream? What if the edits looked terrible, and it made the dreamweaver's style look bad? Would it be fair to ask for no edits be done to the dream unless the dreamweaver himself/herself did it? I've been pondering this for some time, so just post your opinions. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Offline Sync

Re: Opinion please
«Reply #1: August 19, 2008, 06:45:26 PM»
yes of course the commissioner should be allowed to make edits.
well, that's just me. i personally would not commission a dream weaver if they said i could not make edits regardless of how good they are.

Offline Kratos

«Reply #2: August 19, 2008, 07:12:38 PM»
if the commissioner wants to edit it, why not?
while it may make you feel incompetent or make you feel like you didn't do a good job, they paid you for it and you did your part. let them do what they want with it. (unless it violates other terms of course!)

maybe you could offer to do the edits for them, and if they say no, then oh well. you tried.
restricting your commissioners that much isn't too good - i wouldn't commission someone who wouldn't let me make edits either, although i do usually ask to make sure (with ports usually since i make my own dreams, but still)

Offline Sierra

«Reply #3: August 19, 2008, 09:37:05 PM»
I see what you guys are saying, I mean, it's only fair since they did pay for it.

maybe you could offer to do the edits for them, and if they say no, then oh well. you tried.
restricting your commissioners that much isn't too good - i wouldn't commission someone who wouldn't let me make edits either, although i do usually ask to make sure (with ports usually since i make my own dreams, but still)

That's what I was thinking. Making it so the dream commissioner can ask the weaver for edits, so they look nice.

Any other opinions are welcome to  :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:39:15 PM by Sierra »

Offline Kratos

«Reply #4: August 19, 2008, 09:38:52 PM»
like i said. you could offer to do edits if they need them, but if they don't accept, then that's their problem.
what you made (from the sound of it) looked fine to begin with; if they feel the need to edit and not have it match or have it look a bit more on the worse side, let them.
it won't reflect what YOU made because you can show your own version as an example, so i don't see it as a big deal.

Offline Sierra

«Reply #5: August 19, 2008, 09:40:41 PM»
like i said. you could offer to do edits if they need them, but if they don't accept, then that's their problem.
what you made (from the sound of it) looked fine to begin with; if they feel the need to edit and not have it match or have it look a bit more on the worse side, let them.
it won't reflect what YOU made because you can show your own version as an example, so i don't see it as a big deal.

That's very true, I didn't think about the examples, I was just thinking about the dream itself. Thank you for the insight <3

Offline Tonks

«Reply #6: August 19, 2008, 11:56:57 PM»
I have a policy that if you purchase a dream or commission one from me I will edit it as much as you'd like for a year. After that I have no problem with you doing it yourself if you want.

Some people are the opposite and are really strict on wanting it to stay the same, which I find kind of stupid, especially if it's a premade or something. It's personal preference however, and I recommend asking all these questions before you commission someone so you don't end up, well, screwed.

I love to see people that use my dreams show me what they've done with them. I usually stop by often myself to see how it's doing, if it's public/uploaded.

But, like I said, it's just like the difference between port artists. Some will let you edit, some will not.

Offline Sierra

«Reply #7: August 20, 2008, 09:16:07 AM»
I have a policy that if you purchase a dream or commission one from me I will edit it as much as you'd like for a year. After that I have no problem with you doing it yourself if you want.

Some people are the opposite and are really strict on wanting it to stay the same, which I find kind of stupid, especially if it's a premade or something. It's personal preference however, and I recommend asking all these questions before you commission someone so you don't end up, well, screwed.

I love to see people that use my dreams show me what they've done with them. I usually stop by often myself to see how it's doing, if it's public/uploaded.

But, like I said, it's just like the difference between port artists. Some will let you edit, some will not.
You have a good policy there. I wouldn't want anyone to keep their dream the same, that's pretty insane. I think when I'm mapping out my dream rules, that I'll edit anything for you for the first month, and then it's whatever you want down the line. It wouldn't matter anyways, cause like Penelope said, I would have the original dream to take screenshots of to show my work.

Thanks guys, you've been a big help. You can let this topic die, or admins delete it, I don't care. I just needed some opinions. Thanks again =D

Offline Goldrush

«Reply #8: August 20, 2008, 01:52:58 PM»
I don't know if someone's already said this, but I'll say it just because I think it's beneficial, keep the original copy saved too, make a spare to edit from.. just incase you do mess it up, which if you're paying for the dream, you should be allowed to do.
SUP DAWG. WE HEARD YOU LIKE CARS SO WE PUT A CAR IN YO CAR SO YOU CAN DRIVE WHILE YOU DRIVE.

http://www.hazel-rah.webs.com

Offline Lord

«Reply #9: August 20, 2008, 04:43:58 PM»
you bought it. you can fuck with it.

i make dreams small-time. i dont do comissions since, usually, i give up on finishing the dream, or i put an assload of detail into one part but the rest looks like shit. etc, etc.

but if i did sell dreams, my policy would be;

i'll make the dream, follow whatyou want as closely as i can

we will have a walkthrough. i will change the dream completely ONCE. if you do not want it completely changed, i will make a total of five edits. if you choose to have it completely redone, i will make two edits for you.

an edit will consist of;

we go through the entire dream, and you point out things you would like changed. i will edit those things. that counts as one edit. we go through again until you are satisfied, or until you use up your 2/5 edits.

redoing the dream consists of;

starting with a completely new sheet. new layout, new everything. i will either charge x-more, or have your permission to resell the dream and i will not add on a charge.

after edits, if you still see something you would like changed, you can do it yourself.

um yeah.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #10: August 21, 2008, 09:49:34 AM»
While I see the initial reactions is: OF COURSE LET THEM EDIT.

I can also see what you mean as the one who is weaving. I have the same trouble with portraits; I require that people ask me before making edits. Someone actually removed my signature by mistake when they edited a portrait they had bought from me without bouncing the news past me first.

I think it's only common courtesy to tell the artist when you are changing their work to avoid these kinds of mishaps.

Offline Sierra

«Reply #11: August 21, 2008, 08:40:11 PM»
While I see the initial reactions is: OF COURSE LET THEM EDIT.

I can also see what you mean as the one who is weaving. I have the same trouble with portraits; I require that people ask me before making edits. Someone actually removed my signature by mistake when they edited a portrait they had bought from me without bouncing the news past me first.

I think it's only common courtesy to tell the artist when you are changing their work to avoid these kinds of mishaps.
I had the same thought, that's why I asked x3

anything