turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Photo-manipulation help  (Read 657 times)

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
Photo-manipulation help
«: August 22, 2008, 02:52:57 PM»
Yeah, i did my first photo manipulation today, and i was wondering if someone could criticize it, so i can do better next time.

http://jacki-satori.deviantart.com/art/Dreams-95690490

Offline Azula

Re: Photo-manipulation help
«Reply #1: August 22, 2008, 03:15:43 PM»
you really didn't do anything except copy past the stock girl into the moon image and probably used wand tool to get rid of the white surrounding her.

and then there's the extra dragonflies at the top left where it's obvious you used the marquee tool on the other dragonflies and moved them. there is absolutely no tweening between those dragonflies' background and the original stars.

it's a really amateur photomanipulation with the filter generated clouds and the smudges on the dress to make it ripple i guess?

imo, you should have made the girl glow just slightly and create your own space scene so you have total control over where everything is positioned.

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: August 22, 2008, 03:36:39 PM»
you really didn't do anything except copy past the stock girl into the moon image and probably used wand tool to get rid of the white surrounding her.

and then there's the extra dragonflies at the top left where it's obvious you used the marquee tool on the other dragonflies and moved them. there is absolutely no tweening between those dragonflies' background and the original stars.

it's a really amateur photomanipulation with the filter generated clouds and the smudges on the dress to make it ripple i guess?

imo, you should have made the girl glow just slightly and create your own space scene so you have total control over where everything is positioned.

I know its amateurish, if you read my artist comments, it states it;s my first one. I used a brush for the mist, and the dress was like that from the photo. And i didnt use the wand tool, i erased it all. Wand wouldve been to complicated since there was alot of white in the dress parts. I'm new at PM, so i'd really love more tips.

Offline Azula

«Reply #3: August 22, 2008, 03:50:51 PM»
http://good-tutorials.com/ helps me a lot when i need to find something.

and yes, i can read comments, i was just reiterating the fact. however, that doesn't excuse you. the dress wasn't smudged like that on the bottom. and the wand wouldn't be too complicated, it would have been a lot easier than to erase everything by hand while using a mask layer.

but there are several other ways to get rid of the white surrounding her. the extract tool under filters, the magnetic lasso tool, color selection under colors (that wouldn't work in this case, however), and the plain magic wand tool. in this case, i would either use extract or the magnetic lasso.

here is a good space scene tutorial, there are loads of others though. that was just one where i liked the outcome most.

there are loads of other free cloud stock images that are natural and don't look like they're computer generated in places like here.

g-t is a really good place to find tutorials on photomanipulation as well as 3D, illustrator, website design and flash tutorials.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #4: August 29, 2008, 06:18:27 PM»
I think you really managed to convey a good, fitting feeling for this image. A composition tip though; most subjects look best when they take up 1/3 of the image with the rest of the picture enhancing the subject. I think it would have been more dramatic looking if you'd placed the woman more towards the left and bring out the moon more. Since the moon reflects light, a glow around it would do the background well and bring out the girl more due to the contrast it creates. Don't be afraid to stray from overlaying different textures and using the feather option when erasing parts of an overlay, and tint the dress differently. Since it's all black, it would be easy to give her a dreamy or even spooky feel by using textures to make her 'melt' into the background.

What I miss on the mist edit is that it all looks gathered in the foreground.. Take your time and detail further back. Let the mist swirl around the girl, not in front of her. Your main goal is to join two or more images and make them appear as one. Keep perspectives in mind, lighting and detail.

It's a really nice first try. There are still tips and tricks you can learn about the tools, but composition is just as important. Look up on that as well!

anything