turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Looking For Tips and Suggestions: How to Market Your Art  (Read 1225 times)

Offline happyknot

I am still very new to marketting and selling my artwork. I know that there are many here who are vastly more experienced and I would like to hear any tips and suggestions you have.

I know that being confident and cheerful but not obnoxious or arrogant is a good manner to have when inviting people to look at your work, and when making offers to potential clients. I also know that you have to share your work with as many people as possible to get yourself known but still be able to do that in a non-spammy way.

Finally - I have opened commissions ( at my DA) but what am I lacking? Are my Terms of Service too unfriendly? Is my work too dry? Colorless?

Please feel free to share anything you feel might improve my chances of attracting clients.

(The high pixel portrait cost is to deter people from commissioning me for them. I did that because they're very difficult to do but if someone liked my pixel style so much that they wanted to hire me for that specifically, they could.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:26:13 AM by happyknot »
My DA Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don't give up. ~ Anne Lamott

Offline Nny

Re: Looking For Tips and Suggestions: How to Market Your Art
«Reply #1: August 24, 2008, 06:44:11 AM»
If you're still learning how to make ports, your prices shouldn't be "crazy-high". You're charging $30 for a furc port? That's a bit much. I mean, some of the best artists (imo) are only charging $10-$15 for their ports, and other really good artists are only charging $5. So uh, lower your price a bit if you want more people to commission you.

Edit;; If you don't really want people to commission you for ports, then don't do them....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 05:05:40 PM by JTHM »

Sesruc

«Reply #2: August 24, 2008, 09:13:12 AM»
your other prices are fair.. and your terms are nice and sturdy. maybe mention something about a refund policy if you have one?
but i think that your port prices are a little high right now. from what i can see, you've only one example anyways. you have definite style in the way you do your ports, but in your chinna port, i would suggest putting more definition and shadows where the hair touches her forehead (not that you asked for this or anything).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:14:54 AM by Sesruc »

Offline Suzy

«Reply #3: August 24, 2008, 12:13:42 PM»
Well. Reputation also has something to do with the way you price things. If you're just starting out, you should probably have fairly low prices to attract customers and build your reputation. Once you gain some popularity, you can raise the price a little. Just make sure that your price is as close to the art's value as you can get~!

Good luck! :D

Offline Mala

«Reply #4: August 24, 2008, 01:57:21 PM»
Try getting yourself known with a few freebies of both ports and character art.

And keep your prices not-so-high until you know people will commission you for more expensive prices.

G'luck. <3

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #5: August 28, 2008, 01:53:30 PM»
When I first started out with port making, I always kept a link in my desc that would say "PORTRAIT ARTIST", and if I was lucky they would click it. I don't think I could really give out much tips that you probably haven't heard yet though. :<

One thing I will say is that you really should lower your port prices. If you find doing portraits is too hard, then either don't do them, or only open up one commission slot at a time, with a much cheaper price. if you raise the price just because you don't like doing them/they're difficult, then I highly doubt you'll get commissions.  :)