turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Practicing Night skies, need a few suggestions  (Read 987 times)

Offline Farren

Practicing Night skies, need a few suggestions
«: August 26, 2008, 11:08:02 AM»
I'm practicing making night skies for ports, and just made my first post here on FAZ with the results I have. Some of them I think came out at least somewhat good, but some I obviously need help with. The Norther Lights in particular

Is number 4. Number 5 also didn't come out too well.
Number one started out as a sorta-view of the milky way as you might see it on a clear night, but sorta evolved into something else... so I think I need some suggestions for that too ^^; If anyone can help me? ;;
Also, I'm new here on FAZ, so dun hurt me ;; if I screw something up.
Fishberries.

Offline Mala

Re: Practicing Night skies, need a few suggestions
«Reply #1: August 27, 2008, 12:16:13 AM»
I just want to say, these are amazing!  :D

I thought #5 and #6 were pictures resized into port-size shapes!

Offline bowlegged

«Reply #2: August 27, 2008, 01:36:46 AM»
oh sxy

Offline Lord

«Reply #3: August 27, 2008, 03:18:42 PM»
i looove number two. the clouds just look so.. thick and deep o_o

that's probably one of the better auroras i've seen, since that's.. incredibly hard to draw. especially in the .fox editor.

Offline Farren

«Reply #4: August 27, 2008, 08:34:46 PM»
I used some photos as references for things like where to put the darker areas and the lighter areas on the moon bgs, and how to do the light reflections in the ocean, but I didn't copy them exactly, or resize them. I wanted to go my own way so I could post them as examples of my work without people accusing me of copying or w/e ;;
But I couldn't get the northern lights to work out right (I thought I could when I first started this and found how wrong I was... they're hard D: ) And the half moon didn't look quite right to me, though I tried. Is the milky way view.. hard to explain what I was trying for there, not even sure if what I was trying for is actually the part of the milky way you view in the night sky. I'd have to get a pic of what I was trying to make in number 1.
I was hoping there was some sorta suggestion someone might have, that they've tried and worked out well for them. Though if no one has such, critiques are nice too, I suppose :D
Fishberries.

Offline Astell

«Reply #5: August 28, 2008, 10:10:56 AM»
kposkhgrdh these are gorgeous. I LOVE number 9, the placement of everything is great and the way you shaded the moon is amazing. Huge kudos for doing the aurora, I can barely imagine how difficult that must have been. I also love the mountains in number 4, they look great. All of them do! I hope you make more, these are delicious. <3

Offline Hugo

«Reply #6: August 28, 2008, 11:37:39 AM»
They're nice, but I recommend not selling them if you reffed them right off a photo.

Offline Greek

«Reply #7: August 28, 2008, 02:25:17 PM»
Like i said many times, on your dA and etc. I'M SO USING THESE~.

Offline Farren

«Reply #8: August 28, 2008, 07:15:21 PM»
I didn't ref them, as in making them look exactly like the photos. I used photos to determine things like how the moons would look (like where those darker spots are placed and how they're shaped... can't remember what the dark spots on the moon are called ;; ), and how to do the reflections in the ocean on number 9. Hard to explain that one... I don't do watery scenes in my ports much, or scenes with something reflective. I've never done a port of an ocean at night, either. So I looked at a picture on google so I knew what it would look like, and tried to apply it my own way. In hindsight, since there's a picture on google that comes up when you do an image search for 'full moon' that looks almost exactly like my number 9, I prolly shoulda picked something other than an ocean for the moon to be over...
Though I don't plan on selling these. I've already offered them for free here, on dA, and even posted a link to them on the furc forums.
Though I used to ref photos heavily when I drew pics, because I didn't know there was anything wrong with doing that, I'm trying to stop, as I've since found out it's bad ;;. If I do ref a photo heavily, I'll offer a link to it, unless it's a photo I took myself, then I'll just say I took the photo I reffed it from.
And yer obsessed, Ms. Greek ;;
Fishberries.

Offline Greek

«Reply #9: August 28, 2008, 08:27:09 PM»
And yer obsessed, Ms. Greek ;;

shaddup ;;