turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How do I make watermarks without PS?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Farren

How do I make watermarks without PS?
«: August 28, 2008, 08:49:01 PM»
I don't have Photoshop (and I seriously doubt my old-as-dirt comp could handle it... barely handles the internet and furcadia), so as a watermark, I been using a pixel thing I made that's a bunch of my skull and bone signature in the form of an 'F'  with every other pixel removed to make it 'transparent'.
But someone recently told me 'WTF THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO A WATERMARK WITHOUT PS' (caps and all o_o ) and when I said I knew no other way to do it, someone else suggested a big red line through it. I wasn't sure about that, though, if it'd block people's view of the port too much.
Any suggestions for what I can do for a watermark? The 'F' thing I only been doing for ports. The best I can do for my sketches and such is put my dA across the middle of the pic. So I kinda need suggestions for that, too.
Fishberries.

Sesruc

Re: How do I make watermarks without PS?
«Reply #1: August 28, 2008, 08:55:41 PM»
there is no definite way to do a watermark.. o.o

[/useless comment]

Offline Lothus

«Reply #2: August 28, 2008, 09:41:02 PM»
As a non-artist programmer, I'd say that as long as it gets a result you're happy with, that's all that you need. As Sesruc indicated, there's no ONE true way of doing a watermark.
If you want to do the true alpha-blended ones you can always look into GIMP ( www.gimp.org ) which, though no Photoshop, is completely free and powerful enough to do most things just fine. It may or may not run on the computer since you mention that it's old... but it does have lower requirements than PS.
Prismaticator (lame plug, I know <.<) will also do an alphablend watermark on your portrait image at far lower resource usage, but making a custom watermark to replace its supplied default will still require something capable of making one... such as PS or GIMP.

Offline Zim

«Reply #3: August 28, 2008, 10:07:38 PM»
http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?topic=2461.0

The program there automatically adds a watermark over the remap section and pixellates the remapped images, if that helps any?

Offline Farren

«Reply #4: August 29, 2008, 08:38:38 PM»
I'll havta try these programs later, as it takes me a while to dl them (dialup, ftw), and I havta go to bed early tonight due to having to be up at 4 am tomorrow.

But thank you all for replying. Was the biggest issue I had with posting my art online... no way to watermark it so people couldn't steal it ;;
Fishberries.

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #5: August 29, 2008, 08:42:10 PM»
I suggest using prismaticator. But if you don't want to use that, you can also use this site Finch linked to in another thread:

http://www.iaza.com/

Load your image, and then in the list of options go to Blend (Column 3 "Create", under Section "Combine").

Have your watermark saved as a file the same size as whatever you are watermarking, with a white background. Have your watermark on that image positioned wherever you want it to be on top of the original image you're putting it on.

Load the watermark image in the blend options - play with the number option til you get it where you want it.

Long process, though. Prismaticator, Zim linked to it, would do you good.

Offline Farren

«Reply #6: August 30, 2008, 10:04:38 PM»
Okay, I got prismaticator dl'd. I'll try it out on my next port. Gimp wouldn't dl, though. The site would load... but the program wouldn't dl, even though it said it was O_o
The 'iaza' site worked though. I tried it on the pic I just finished tonight (my first example of using the watermark I made with that site can be seen here: http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=7491 or on my dA, if anyone wantsa see ^^; )

Thank you all fer yer help :D it is much appreciated.
Fishberries.