turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: When is it too much? Commissions and commissioners.  (Read 5218 times)

Offline La-la

When is it too much? Commissions and commissioners.
«: August 29, 2008, 10:46:00 AM»
You've been here, am I right?

You have a commission from someone you've been waiting to commission for a long time. You chat with the artist, send the refs, the colour string, hell, even a family tree, so they can get started. A couple days past. Man, are you anxious! A week passes. You check your inbox every hour. Two weeks start to creep up on you, and your eyes are hurting from the glow of the computer monitor through the long nights....

Hopefully it doesn't get that bad. BUT, when is it appropriate to ask an artist for updates on your port? I always feel like I'm being bothersome, and usually don't. What do you, as an artist, think is a good time to ask for updates? Personally, for myself, I think every four days is good to check up on me, but this is just because I don't take a long time to do things, usually, and if it's much longer, I'm probably having trouble and need some pushing along by the commissioner unless I'm just at a busy point in my life.

But I currently have someone commissioning a friend, and they are whispering ME to ask about updates, while PMing her no more than every couple of days. I think this is almost borderline obsessive, and very, very annoying.

What would you do in such an instance?
Put other people's ports aside for the annoying commissioner, to get them off your back?
Warn them that you will drop their commission, even if you need the money?
Tack on a fee? How do you explain that fee to them?

Any advice is appreciated, not just for me, but commissioners and other artists alike.

P.S. this does not have to do with anyone i am currently commissioning LOL k.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:56:10 AM by La-la »

Sesruc

Re: When is it too much? Commissions and commissioners.
«Reply #1: August 29, 2008, 11:18:22 AM»
Quote from: La-la
What do you, as an artist, think is a good time to ask for updates? Personally, for myself, I think every four days is good to check up on me

i think four days is good too. one or two days is just being.. annoying. but i guess a paid commissioner has a right to know where his money is going. still, it's freaking annoying for the artist to be constantly questioned.

Quote from: La-la
What would you do in such an instance?
Put other people's ports aside for the annoying commissioner, to get them off your back?
Warn them that you will drop their commission, even if you need the money?
Tack on a fee? How do you explain that fee to them?

it's not fair to anyone else that you'd have to put people's ports aside for this one annoying commissioner. i would just kindly tell him that what he's doing is.. annoying for a lack of words. gah. but i guess to not sound brash, you'd have to tell them that you do understand that they have a right to be excited about the potential art/concerned about their money.
if they seriously keep on pestering you and it becomes more than just agitating, then i think it's time to drop the commission. but still, you have to try to maintain your cool and sense of understanding.

Offline lu

«Reply #2: August 29, 2008, 11:21:55 AM»
i'm okay with people asking me for updates once a week, but i get really pissed if they keep bugging me about this stuff every god damn day. i mean, i have a life irl and much more important things to do. i try to finish every port ASAP, but sometimes it might take me over a week because i'm always so full of work to do, both online and offline.

i know we're getting paid and shit, but people should know it's important to give the artist the time they need. artwork doesn't come out of our butts, y'know.

by the other hand if you wait for over two months for a port, that's waaaay to much. the artist is obviously abusing your patience. personally i try to keep quiet and avoid asking people i'm commisioning about the picture, but i guess everyone has their limits.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:23:31 AM by lu »

Offline Kratos

«Reply #3: August 29, 2008, 01:07:37 PM»
personally, i keep status updates on my dA journal, and tell every commissioner that they can look there for updates.
i also explain that sometimes, my collab partner and i DO need a kick in the ass, and that its okay to ask every now and then (once a week or so??) so we get our butts into gear.
and.. i really don't usually ask about progress of commissions much, unless its a few weeks into it.
the longest ive waited for a piece of art was a few months, and it was for a BEAUTIFUL sketch from Roum, but i was perfectly fine with waiting and every note i sent was promptly answered, so it was okay.

Offline Greek

«Reply #4: August 29, 2008, 01:48:32 PM»
i know we're getting paid and shit, but people should know it's important to give the artist the time they need. artwork doesn't come out of our butts, y'know.

I agree with you. I remember being asked about a portrait EVERY hour everyday, and the portrait wasn't even for the person!!
Some people need to learn to have patience.

And, maybe you just tell the commissioner ( in non-rude way) to be quiet and wait, we're only human. And  annoying the artist isn't very smart. Or, I would give the commissioner a refund and tell them why. I guess, depends on what is happening in my life.

Offline lu

«Reply #5: August 29, 2008, 05:05:58 PM»
Or, I would give the commissioner a refund and tell them why.

Bitching is one of the reasons I don't take payment before the portrait is done. Lol.

Offline Sync

«Reply #6: August 29, 2008, 05:43:37 PM»
before i commission someone i try to get how long they usually take or if can't, then i just for the sketch. then i start counting down(not including people ahead of me on the commission list).

if nothing's happening in a month then i bug them. if i see no progress or as what happened to me once... negative progress, then i start getting worried. i usually give them another month and if still nothing's happened then i start getting pissed. blah. i don't care how many irl problems you have, 2 months is more than enough to at the least lineart a sketch.

as for being annoyed by a commissioner, idk. i usually finish ports fast enough that nobody's really fed up with waiting.

Offline Zim

«Reply #7: August 29, 2008, 08:09:30 PM»
There's a good reason I have an Annoying Commissioner Fee.

Seriously, if they want to ride my ass about something that's low on my priorities (I'm in college), they're gonna pay extra for it, end of story.

People need to realize that most artists have a life outside of Furcadia, and we can't cater to their OMG IS IT DONE YET??? 24/7.

Since I've put up this fee, I haven't had any further issues with it. [= If you get annoyed constantly, you should try it out.

Offline lu

«Reply #8: August 29, 2008, 08:17:26 PM»
There's a good reason I have an Annoying Commissioner Fee.

Seriously, if they want to ride my ass about something that's low on my priorities (I'm in college), they're gonna pay extra for it, end of story.

People need to realize that most artists have a life outside of Furcadia, and we can't cater to their OMG IS IT DONE YET??? 24/7.

Since I've put up this fee, I haven't had any further issues with it. [= If you get annoyed constantly, you should try it out.

LOL that is such a good idea... i might try it.

Offline Sierra

«Reply #9: August 29, 2008, 08:42:37 PM»
What I do is request progress shots, and I just get informed once they send me what they've done so far. I don't pm people, unless it's been 4-7 days.

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #10: August 29, 2008, 09:08:21 PM»
hmm. I don't mind TOO much hassling, but I wish more commissioners understood that we have lives outside of furc, and have to deal with school, irl issues, jobs, etc.
At the same time, if I haven't seen any progress or signs of progress in a week or so, then I'd ask for a progress update. Although I have never had the problem of waiting too long for a commission (and I'm very patient :B ), if it's been way too long of a wait, then I'd consider asking about progress more frequently.
I think that saying IS IT DONE YET?? or HOW FAR HAVE YOU GOTTEN ON THE PORT/DRAWIN' too much not only really pisses the artist off, but it could also make them sorta panic and rush the commission, which could lower the quality of the final outcome.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #11: August 30, 2008, 11:41:07 AM»
I don't commision people ever, but when it comes to people commisioning me, I don't take no longer than 4 days to finish their stuff up, ports take me only 40 mins to an hour or less because my linearting is a pretty easy-fast task, depending on how their character is. Sketches take and hour or 2, CG-Styling them up takes like 4-5 hours. So I don't get hassling really for being known to get done with my work under decent timing.

If I was to commision someone, I'd want to keep updated about what I asked for every 3 days or so. Even though I take payments first before art, I'd probably act awkward about paying someone else first before art...

If it's a port, it shouldn't take like over 2 months to finish, same with a sketch, as for a CG picture, I can understand a little over a month, especially with Life to deal with too.

In other cases....., some people don't have scanner, so i'd also understand them having to take a while to get to one for sketch commisions.

Offline sarragh

«Reply #12: August 30, 2008, 11:52:53 AM»
I don't take no longer than 4 days to finish their stuff up, ports take me only 40 mins to an hour.

That must be nice. But some of us can take up to 4-5 hours, even upwards of 15 if it's difficult and intricate, and I don't know many productive people that have that time in one sitting. I used to take three days max on my portraits, but I don't have the time now. Now to do it well, it's taking weeks, and I know many commissioners are getting a little bit irritated with that. My SKETCHES take an hour or two, and I have other things to do - not for the internet - while I'm doing that, so it's pretty difficult for me when commissioners, who are at the bottom of my list, are nudging m with

HEY

PROGRESS?

CAN I SEE IT?

HEY HOWS IT GOING

Offline Hathor

«Reply #13: August 30, 2008, 12:05:00 PM»
I got someone who likes to ask me nearly every day god damn that is annoying.
Asking every week is fine to me, maybe even every four days like you say. But that's for only if it's already started AND if it has been paid for already. It's VERY annoying to have someone ask every day while you're still working on other people's commssions. Especially when your commission topic is updated to clearly state once something is started.

As for when I commission people, I prefer to just leave them alone to get on with it. If I've already paid then I tend to ask every few weeks, because as an artist myself, I understand that they have other things to do, and that we can't always expect something to be finished quickly.

I like the idea of the fee though. xD

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #14: August 30, 2008, 12:35:58 PM»
I don't take no longer than 4 days to finish their stuff up, ports take me only 40 mins to an hour.

That must be nice. But some of us can take up to 4-5 hours, even upwards of 15 if it's difficult and intricate, and I don't know many productive people that have that time in one sitting. I used to take three days max on my portraits, but I don't have the time now. Now to do it well, it's taking weeks, and I know many commissioners are getting a little bit irritated with that. My SKETCHES take an hour or two, and I have other things to do - not for the internet - while I'm doing that, so it's pretty difficult for me when commissioners, who are at the bottom of my list, are nudging m with

HEY

PROGRESS?

CAN I SEE IT?

HEY HOWS IT GOING

Understandable. I just have too much time on my hands right now..lol.

Offline Tycho

«Reply #15: September 02, 2008, 12:53:56 PM»

HEY

PROGRESS?

CAN I SEE IT?

HEY HOWS IT GOING

Offline Tycho

«Reply #16: September 02, 2008, 01:00:27 PM»
In all seriousness though, I guess it depends on how the person you're commissioning is acting about it. Or just getting a port from. Someone was doing freebie ports, and in the beginning of February I asked for one. No problem, right? It's September 2nd and I still haven't gotten anything. That's not what bugs me, though. Every time I see them online, which is MAYBE twice a month, I ask them how it's going. The past four months I've asked them, it's been finished, and they're 'gonna email it to me tomorrow'. ....yeah. \: I'd be much more okay with them just telling me it ISN'T done, they haven't DONE anything on it, or they haven't even started yet. Just so I don't feel like I'm getting a big metal pole jammed through my back or something.

I think it depends on how well you know them. Like if I was commissioning MT or La-la I'd feel comfortable poking at them every two days or so, since I'm friends with them and talk to them on a semi-normal basis anyway. If I were gonna commission Sapph or Iu (is it Lu? XD) I'd be a little more nervous to ask how it was comin' along since I don't know them that well.

There are people who I'm on the fence with in asking, like friends of mine I know get a little irked when people bug 'em, but it would depend, again, on how long I've been waiting for something... usually beyond that I'm pretty patient, especially if I've been wanting one from them for a while.

Most of the time though the people I'm commissioning come and ask me questions along the way anyway so it's a hugely helpful indication as to whar they are in progress. :B

Offline happyknot

«Reply #17: September 14, 2008, 06:00:26 PM»
It is appropriate to ask when you can expect the finished art BEFORE you commission the artist. Artists should be responsible and set a time limit for themselves. That is just common sense - especially if they are going to be accepting valuable payment upfront.

An artist who says "I don't know when I will have this finished. I am really busy. There is a lot going on." is not ready to take on the responsibility of a commission.

If an artist tells you when to expect finished art make sure you have it in writing. Ask what their refund policies are before investing. If you aren't sure about them then find another artist.

~*~

That's my stand on it as an artist anyway.
My DA Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don't give up. ~ Anne Lamott

Offline Sealeo

«Reply #18: September 17, 2008, 11:24:25 PM»
It is appropriate to ask when you can expect the finished art BEFORE you commission the artist. Artists should be responsible and set a time limit for themselves. That is just common sense - especially if they are going to be accepting valuable payment upfront.

An artist who says "I don't know when I will have this finished. I am really busy. There is a lot going on." is not ready to take on the responsibility of a commission.

If an artist tells you when to expect finished art make sure you have it in writing. Ask what their refund policies are before investing. If you aren't sure about them then find another artist.

~*~

That's my stand on it as an artist anyway.

That's all good and fun, but then Hurricane Ike comes barreling in. #SC

Offline Glory

«Reply #19: September 20, 2008, 12:44:32 AM»
Personally, there is no such thing as a set in stone due date.
It is up to the commissioner and artist to figure something out before hand, be it via TOS, Their to-do list, a rough estimate using old ports as examples, or a general "I will do it as soon as possible. Promise." it will change due to patience and ideals.

...Have any of you tried telling them to stop bugging you?
I tend to notice artists complain HORRIBLY (because it is horrible to be bugged like Navi is to Link) yet, I never see any comunication to the commissioner that they should really back off.
If your scared to hurt their feelings or loose the money, well... then you really shouldn't be talking about them behind their backs as it makes no sense. You didn't tell them to stop!
They are going to use their right to know as an excuse till you put them in their place. P:
Idk just a tip cx

Offline Mala

«Reply #20: September 20, 2008, 01:10:41 AM»
i don't bother people who i commission. i never once talked to any of them when i was waiting for a port. i made the mistake of bugging someone several times with a digo sale and i felt terrible since they had responded (very nicely!) that they were moving, and couldn't reach a computer.

i leave things at the artist's pace. they can take three days or three months, but the only thing i'll do is check their progress on dA journals and whatnot. the only time i'll talk to someone is if i don't see my name on their list.

for my commissioners i give them a progress shot of the lineart, and then if they approve, i'll colour it, and show them the fully finished picture.

i've been lucky, and none of my commissioners have complained about the time i take (which imo is much too long). i don't mind that they send a pm/note asking about it once a week. it'll get me off my butt and working harder on it.

if its once every couple days, i'll start to get rather ticked off and most likely finish the port in a haste to get them to shut up.

tl'dr: i think once a week or so to check up on someone is a-ok as long as they don't mind.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #21: September 20, 2008, 03:03:58 PM»
whenever i commission anyone i'm terrified to ask them about progress, so i just dont.

which is why right now it's very likely i'm never going to see a product or a refund for something i paid for months ago.

personally i love to see progress and be updated but i'll never ask about it because i dont want to be a bitch about it. it's like the paranoia that waiters are going to spit in your food.

and my sister brought up a very good point:
prtkatsuu (1:50:40 PM): well its important to remember that you're doing THEM a favor by paying them for their services
prtkatsuu (1:50:47 PM): so they basically "owe you"

just because i'm a chickenshit doesnt mean they should be off the hook and be left to take my money.

prtkatsuu (2:00:20 PM): it's just important to remember that when someone offers up their services in exchange for your money, they are pretty much signing a contract of customer service - they're the one with the talent, you're the one with the money. i can sort of relate it to my job, as a cashier - customers are always right, it doesn't matter how annoying or obnoxious or polite or mean they are...

so there is a thin line between harassing them and saying "hey, where's my shit?" once in a while

Offline Sealeo

«Reply #22: September 20, 2008, 09:29:27 PM»
I wouldn't say artists are cashiers, though. Cashiers simply accept the money given to them in exchange for an item chosen by the customer. Artists don't (excluding premades) have items to trade money for immediately on hand- and thus the problem we are discussing arises.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #23: September 21, 2008, 02:24:49 AM»
sort of is sort of for a reason.

i think she was relating this bit right here:
customers are always right, it doesn't matter how annoying or obnoxious or polite or mean they are...

not saying that artists are cashiers.

i dont know, i cant put words into her mouth for her.

Offline Nny

«Reply #24: September 21, 2008, 02:31:05 AM»
customers are always right, it doesn't matter how annoying or obnoxious or polite or mean they are...

http://notalwaysright.com/

k and to be on topic.

When I commission someone, I never ask them about the progress of my port.
I hate to seem like a bother, really.
I wait for them to contact me.
Unless it's been like... a month.
Then I'll bother them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:33:06 AM by JTHM »