turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Misleading Art Thread Titles  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Hugo

Misleading Art Thread Titles
«: September 15, 2008, 06:55:34 AM»
It doesn't have enough points on either side to be an in-depth discussion, so it should probably stay here.

--

So, have you ever browsed through the art threads around here and seen something like: ULTRA REALISTIC WOLF PREMADES BUY NOW

And then you click the thread and find the same stylized cartoon dogs everyone else is selling?

Or the person has: EXPERIENCED ARTIST OF NINE YEARS, I AM THE BEST

And their art looks like someone grabbed it by its throat and pulled it inside-out.

Now; this is not to knock artists or anything, but shouldn't they keep their titles free of adjectives and let the buyers decide how realistic or amazing their art is? I understand they have the freedom to put anything (within the rules) in their titles, but isn't it a bit cheesy when the title isn't true?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who notices, and I only browse occasionally.

--

Be nice and don't name names.

Offline Sierra

Re: Misleading Art Thread Titles
«Reply #1: September 15, 2008, 08:44:26 AM»
Yeah, I feel kinda the same way, though I don't think it bothers me as much. What I think is really stupid, is when people call themselves, "Professionals" yet, their art or whatever looks like something anyone can do.

Edit: Some people really do have professional work, but some people just add "professional" in the title to attract attention.

Offline Mala

«Reply #2: September 15, 2008, 10:02:19 AM»
it kinda sucks when i'm looking for a port artist and i read their titles and go 'oh, this person says this-and-that' but when i click its something different.

when i name my threads, i just leave it at describing whats inside. ex. '1 gd oekaki sketches'

Offline Hugo

«Reply #3: September 15, 2008, 10:50:48 AM»
It's silly, really. And you wouldn't say something like DAVINCI-CLASS OEKAKI SKETCHES THAT TOOK SIX WEEKS EACH WHILE I WAS IN PERSIA ON AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL DIG. Would you?

Offline lu

«Reply #4: September 15, 2008, 12:16:20 PM»
well, some people need to stop being stupid and get a hold of reality.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #5: September 15, 2008, 01:36:50 PM»
it could be either they believe that they're that good, or that they simply suck and need a convincing title to make people think otherwise. advertising tactic, maybe.

i don't describe myself. i put 'commissions open!!' or 'female feline premade for sale'. maybe put shitty in there somewhere.

Offline Sync

«Reply #6: September 15, 2008, 01:41:23 PM»
i don't describe myself because i am only one opinion.

"female feline collab for sale" or something is enough lol.

Offline Kamose

«Reply #7: September 15, 2008, 02:34:55 PM»
There's a difference between style, which is objective, and quality, which is somewhat subjective. I think it's good when artists include descriptions of their style (e.g., "realistic," "anime," etc.); it helps me to find what I'm looking for.

As an aside, the term "professional" is not synonymous with "expert" or "talented." A professional artist creates art for a living. You might be a good artist, but if art isn't your job, you're not a professional artist. (Doing an occasional commission for small amounts of money or Furcadia items is not the same as making a living from art.)

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #8: September 16, 2008, 07:34:57 AM»
I'm pretty humble, so I'm not about to call myself amazingly super talented or the best artist out there. The only thing I will do is when I'm selling premades I try to be specific in my title so its a little easier for people to find what they are looking for. If I think it looks realistic, I'll put realistic, but I can see where someone else might disagreee since art is a matter of opinion.

Offline sarragh

«Reply #9: September 16, 2008, 08:47:57 AM»
I personally think it's clever advertising. For example: I may not be professional or exquisite, but by putting that in the title, I still got your click, didn't I? It doesn't matter if you agreed with the adjective or not; you still looked at my art. You were still exposed to it. And, so what if you think I wasted your time? That adjective is probably drawing in more people, and exposing them to it as well. It doesn't matter that YOU didn't like it, because someone is bound to agree if I keep pulling that many clicks. It's not my duty to make things quick and easy for you, it's my prerogative to put my name out there and make some cash.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #10: September 16, 2008, 10:37:41 AM»
So you do it to mislead people on purpose? Perhaps I misread your post.

Sesruc

«Reply #11: September 16, 2008, 06:44:45 PM»
i mean.. even if you had misleading titles.. how much money are you seriously going to make and how much attention can you really get if you have "20 years experience! very very high quality digital art!" when you click and all you get is.. crap? if i saw something like that, i would just quickly look elsewhere and not bother spending any more time on that person.

imo, commissioners just have to have the patience to peruse the thread and examples rather than relying on the title instead

Offline Kamose

«Reply #12: September 17, 2008, 01:55:35 PM»
I personally think it's clever advertising. For example: I may not be professional or exquisite, but by putting that in the title, I still got your click, didn't I?

I have the opposite philosophy. It's not just about the sheer volume of clicks but the quality of clicks. I give my threads specific, accurate titles so that people who are interested will click them, and people who aren't interested won't waste their time.

And, so what if you think I wasted your time? That adjective is probably drawing in more people, and exposing them to it as well. It doesn't matter that YOU didn't like it, because someone is bound to agree if I keep pulling that many clicks.

You do have something to lose by that strategy: goodwill. Goodwill is a benevolent feeling that people have for your brand. (As an artist, you are your brand.) Over time, people will gain or lose goodwill for your brand based on their experiences with it. When you make people feel as if you've wasted their time, they lose goodwill for you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:16:40 PM by Kamose »

Offline sarragh

«Reply #13: September 18, 2008, 07:36:50 AM»
So you do it to mislead people on purpose? Perhaps I misread your post.

Not misleading on purpose; I doubt it's a thought like 'I do this, and they'll think this, but it's not true.' It's more like "I'll do this, and maybe someone will agree".

As for the volume of clicks vs quality, I disagree. I believe volume, as well as repetition is crucial to your 'brand'. So does most of the corporate world, as well. For example;

HEAD-ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD

It was irritating and may have 'degraded' their brand a bit, but everyone knows the name. Everyone remembers the commercial. Everyone knows what it does, and I can guarantee you that I know a TON of people who use it or have it in their house.

Plus, I don't know many people who actually judge artists consistently on their thread topics. (I'm lookin' at you, Hugo). I, myself, can only remember the name of one thread in the offering art; Dangerous Art, because I thought it was clever. Have I ever commissioned them? No, but maybe I will in the future, because I remember their brand. I think artists are judged more on the way they conduct themselves; prices, quality, consistency, customer interaction, etc. ANY reputable artist could have the STUPIDEST thread name there could possibly be, and still get hits, and commissions.

Again, I say; so what if it wastes your time? Most people remember the art itself, not the thread title (Still lookin' at you, hugo). I can't count how many times I've re-clicked one thread because I instantaneously forgot the name.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:46:59 AM by Smidgen »

Offline Azula

«Reply #14: September 18, 2008, 07:48:03 AM»
perhaps we should turn to the master of misleading titles in search for answers.

ANYWAY...

i don't remember a person by their title, i remember it by their name.

i really don't see why hugo is complaining. it's not like he commissions anyone but himself, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:07:58 AM by Taylor »

Offline Tonks

«Reply #15: September 18, 2008, 11:01:26 AM»
so... i agree about this clever advertising shit for some of these titles. as for another handful of them they actually think they are that great but in reality their shit is not exactly easy on the eyes.

and if you recognize the artist already,
you're not going to go to someone's thread for more than shits and giggles if you know they're terrible no matter what they have in their thread titles.

putting "PROFESSIONAL ARTIST CHEAP PRICES" in your title doesnt make that statement true.

Offline Kamose

«Reply #16: September 18, 2008, 12:00:49 PM»
As for the volume of clicks vs quality, I disagree. I believe volume, as well as repetition is crucial to your 'brand'. So does most of the corporate world, as well. For example;

It was irritating and may have 'degraded' their brand a bit, but everyone knows the name. Everyone remembers the commercial. Everyone knows what it does, and I can guarantee you that I know a TON of people who use it or have it in their house.

You are certainly in good company when it comes to that advertising strategy. There are many commercials that scream at you for attention. The same mentality made pop-up advertising popular and cluttered home pages with dozens of flashing banner ads.

Nonetheless, there is plenty of information about goodwill and how to build it or lose it. That's why many companies don't simply bombard you with the loudest, flashiest ad they can come up with. Such advertisements always carry a stigma of being lowbrow or immature, even if they do succeed in getting your attention.

I think that the point you miss is that there isn't a perfect correlation between advertising quality and sales. If people like a product, it can sell despite low-quality advertisements. For example, word-of-mouth can cause people who weren't persuaded by the advertisement to buy the product anyway.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #17: September 19, 2008, 12:36:26 PM»

I actually remember people by a few different methods. Usually I look at the title to see if I want to click, then I look at the name once the thread is open. If I don't remember the person, I'll see what they've got. The title thing isn't really a huge issue unless it's glaring; like 'PROFESSIONAL ARTIST OF NINE YEARS' and then the art really doesn't support it. It's kind of an afterthought, really, I just figure it would be easier to get people to change their titles than to get them to change their art, no?

As for your post, Smidgen, you can look at me all you'd like. I don't expect my opinion to be popular, I was simply curious if anyone felt the same way. You obviously don't, and I will agree to disagree with you.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:38:12 PM by Hugo »

Offline Rae

«Reply #18: September 22, 2008, 10:31:32 AM»
yes I've seen that, I try and be honest, but also it's bad if you go the opposite way too and put "HI HERES MY SHITTY ART BUY IT IT STINKS"
LOL but it's kinda funny too.
Especially if a good artist puts that.
a popularily known one i mean,.

yea I try and be honest put something like, " hey I sell art too"/
lol.

Offline Rae

«Reply #19: September 22, 2008, 12:06:28 PM»
I've seen it, and if it werent for tact............ :/ yeah.

...but personally, i just tend to say what it is because it just feels like setting myself up. XD and also it feels like bragging when either 1. if its good theres no point as the art speaks for itself 2. if it sucks you get flamed

anyway. it kinda annoys me too but it's also to be expected. what can ya do? x)

OH and mindi, about the people that are like THIS SUCKS!!!! ...and actually it's like amazing. lol. i gotta say though, that's annoying in its own way because its like theyre kinda fishing for compliments. ESPECIALLY WHEN I WAS GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY. ):<
True

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #20: September 22, 2008, 12:30:56 PM»
Though I never commision people, after seeing an art thread long ago saying "Realistic art at its best here!".

I no longer click titles similar to it..

Browsing art threads is fun when you're bored..

Offline sarragh

«Reply #21: September 28, 2008, 08:04:19 AM»

As for your post, Smidgen, you can look at me all you'd like. I don't expect my opinion to be popular, I was simply curious if anyone felt the same way. You obviously don't, and I will agree to disagree with you.

It was only playful banter, Hugo, and though you took it in a different way than I intended, I respect your maturity.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #22: September 29, 2008, 10:20:05 AM»
Well that is just totally awesome. Did this really happen on an internet forum?

Offline Skink

«Reply #23: September 30, 2008, 12:08:25 AM»
It annoys the piss out of me personally. Sure you can click it, see the title was pretty much a lie, and then just hit back saying screw that. But it gives me a pretty bad impression of the artist. Saying you're an awesome experienced realistic portrait artist then showing maybe 3 ginga style ports with smiling christmas tree backgrounds kinda makes me sit and think "golly they're full of themselves, something tells me doing business with them even if they got better would be a royal pain."

I would never want to commission an artist who came off as thinking they're the best thing in the world. Because if I want to ask for edits or have something changed/redone, I want the change, not a bitchfest. A lot of the time from the way someone advertises in their thread, you can tell if they're going to accept your critiques and requests or give you an excuse and whine. So even if they improve excellently some time later, the impression of them charging an arm and a leg for incorrectly advertised computer scribbles before is still going to stick to the name.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #24: September 30, 2008, 05:24:57 AM»
Rofl.

I get so many shits and giggles out of the attention whores. :) I like hard facts.

"Anthro/Human portrait commission: OPEN" <-- The best thing since cheese. Straight to the point without lies, a bloated ego or emo whining about how much they suck and don't deserve to be commissioned, BUT HEY COME LOOK AT MY THREAD ANYWAY.

anything