turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Poll

What kind of roleplay suits you?

Human
Anthro
Feral
Mix?
Other (Specifiy!)
No Prefrence

Author Topic: Roleplayers  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Electric Guitar

Roleplayers
«: September 19, 2008, 08:36:28 PM»
I'd really, really like to make a successful roleplay dream. I gave up on an Okami dream due to lack of intrest, so I once again need your opinions. What kind of roleplay dream do you want to see? Human, anthro, Egyptian, Dragonrider's of Pern, Halo? Post your ideas! Anything is appreciated.  :)

Offline Mala

Re: Roleplayers
«Reply #1: September 19, 2008, 08:44:04 PM»
one that has a a decent theme, and isn't full of noobs that tipe lyk dis and thesaurus thumpers.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #2: September 19, 2008, 08:45:50 PM»
I hate both.  :P

Offline Lord

«Reply #3: September 19, 2008, 09:29:00 PM»
NOOOO NOT THE OKAMI DREAM

well

if youre REALLY interested in a successful roleplaying dream... take a look around at the ones that are popular now! pound dreams, in my personal experience, are declining in popularity and other 'normal hangout' dreams are increasing--which can serve the purpose of roleplay dream and just a casual ooc place.

what id like to see is a bar-like dream that isnt specifically for yiffingomfg or shit. i know thats kinda ALWAYS gonna happen whether you make a slave dream or a my little pony one, but not -aimed- at it.

i'd make one myself but.. i'm too lazy to finish any dream i start.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #4: September 19, 2008, 09:43:01 PM»
Sorry.  :-[ I'd love an okami roleplay dream, but I don't want to be the one to do it if only a few people show...

Offline Azula

«Reply #5: September 19, 2008, 09:43:56 PM»
i like a dream where there is a plot that you can loosely base your character off of.

currently, a friend and i are creating such a dream! however, we're at a standstill with the dream because we have other things to take care of first..

i also like human and anthros.

Offline Nny

«Reply #6: September 19, 2008, 09:44:45 PM»
I almost made an Okami dream once rofl.
I stopped 'cause I got fucking annoyed with making the patches.

Make a South Park dream
Do it.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #7: September 20, 2008, 07:34:13 AM»
i'm into anthro and human, maybe some feral (like raptor forest).

Offline lu

«Reply #8: September 20, 2008, 07:38:01 AM»
i usually rp feral/anthro/werewolf.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #9: September 20, 2008, 09:24:55 AM»
Thanks for the votes so far. Remeber I also need dream ideas!  :)

Offline Glory

«Reply #10: September 20, 2008, 10:52:18 AM»
I love human and anthro... though, mix is nice because some of my friends play ferals or other. Like anime or manga (yeah big hate by some people for these sometimes, but cross overs are very fun and have fueled almost all my recent rp).

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #11: September 20, 2008, 11:29:28 PM»
What dreams are mix besides TGT Marik?

Anthro seems to be leading so far. Again I quote, I need ideas. A category helps, but what specifically? Anthro pirates for instance?

Offline Azula

«Reply #12: September 20, 2008, 11:50:14 PM»
i have an anthro pirate i need to RP..

Offline Hermes

«Reply #13: September 22, 2008, 12:50:11 PM»
I love human and anthro... though, mix is nice because some of my friends play ferals or other. Like anime or manga (yeah big hate by some people for these sometimes, but cross overs are very fun and have fueled almost all my recent rp).

^ Same for me. I'm pretty open with rp as long as people don't jump on me for making a post too long or too short... I'm someone who pretty much mixes and matches depending on my mood, but I do like continuity. o:

Art © Sushi on dA - Species © Theme on FA

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #14: September 25, 2008, 08:55:21 PM»
A nice continuity is what I'm trying to establish.  :) I still need to know what kind of anthro roleplay I need... Its not enough to give me a category. I need ideas. xP

Offline Skink

«Reply #15: September 29, 2008, 11:52:56 PM»
I think you'd get the most activity by combining all of that. Human, furre, feral, etc. Make it some kind of world where they could co-exist with any one of them being dominant. Diversity is the key to a large, more bearable and creative roleplay base. If you pick any one you're going to get stuck sometime along the way. That means staying outside of a fandom most of the time too. Flexibility is key... or people get bored. Don't keyhole your ideas in to "It has to be dragonriders" or "humans only."

Try picking something more like a period and place, even if it's fanciful. With your own world, anything can happen. With someone else's you get limited  :(

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #16: September 30, 2008, 12:25:01 AM»
The big thing I'd consider first isn't "what species" but rather "what continuity?" You can have a continuity that blends in a lot of aspects and species. It also depends on what kind of RP you're after--do you want very strict continuity-heavy RP, or a lighter more "opt-in" continuity? I like both, but running a strict cont with a defined setting and stuff can be REALLY hard because it seems like people always are trying to break it, or make the cont fit to their personal storylines/characters (which is natural of course!).

And as far as species go, I prefer anthro only or anthro + human RP. (I find that in most cases ferals can't be easily woven into human and anthro storylines unless it's a sentient feral. Still ways it can be done, of course--like someone owning a feral dog as a pet.)

So, ideas that I think would be cool:
- strict Dragonlands RP (anthro only, except for Ferians. I just like dragonlands RP. :3)
- Greek or Roman RP (I would LOVE to see an anthro Greek or Roman dream!! Hyoomans may fit in too, but anthro-ing it up would be neat. 8D)
- Fairy/kitterwing RP (not just generic forest RP, but a dream revolving totally around kitters or fairies. It'd be unique and you could do cool things with the patches if they're teeny-fairies! Though that'd limit what kinds of characters could feasibly be there.)
- Sailor RP (navy vs. pirates in some renaissance or colonial time?)

I tend to avoid:
- very loose communities
- demon or vamp dreams
- "multidimensional" dreams (within reason)

(Those are just my personal preferences though!)

Good luck with coming up with something! Paint has a good point about being flexible--even if you want to run a really tight continuity, with very defined setting and character "types" and stuff, try and make it so different kinds of characters could feasibly be IC in your setting. For example if you wanted to do a dragonriders dream, make it so people can also play cooks, or healers, or apprentices, or crafters, or civilians, or things like that--maybe even have dragon/rider pairs be two separate players, and if you wanna play a rider you also have to play someone else's dragon (or SOMETHING, just tossing out ideas :3).

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #17: September 30, 2008, 05:35:47 AM»
I think you just need to do what you like doing. It's your dream, and if you can't please yourself before others it doesn't matter what theme it is - if you can't run your dream with passion and dedication, it will fail. Wanting to please the masses is a nice goal, but it's really difficult.

You can look at other dreams and pick a 'popular' theme, but if you really want to trigger the masses' fancy, pick something unusual and make sure your staff and continuity fit, are reliable and start out small with open ends. A lot of great ideas - and dreams - fail not because the dream is crappy or the idea is unoriginal, but because the dream is run badly, the ideas are half-assed and the owner loses interest.

Go for what you like and simply offer people something steady and mature. Don't hire friends for staff who wave their dicks around into people's faces to show how important they are as staff, but don't do their job. Make effort to keep a storyline going and try to organize events and themes regularly that gives characters a chance to evolve.

In my opinion, the theme of a dream isn't THAT important. What's important is how it's run that keeps people settled in the long run.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #18: September 30, 2008, 10:55:36 PM»
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

One thing I'd like to ask is besides TGT, what are some other really good anthro/mix dreams out there?

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #19: October 01, 2008, 11:53:10 PM»
Eileadora and Urraim are both mix and have a lot of traffic.

Offline Archimedes

«Reply #20: October 02, 2008, 03:46:05 PM»
I run a reasonably successful dream (Urraim, actually) and I have found that having a mix of humans and anthros is best. Allow the freedom to have players playing the species they wish to play so long as it fits within the guidelines. I also have noticed that most of the most successful RP dreams have been medieval and high-fantasy based. I suggest that you try something in that genre or if you want to do something different make sure it's distinguished enough that it fills a niche.

Also, the dream itself - the mechanics of it and the layout - is hugely important. One of the things that I am most anal about with my dreamweaving and patch collecting is making sure that items fit. If you have a number of different art styles clashing together you will have problems. Ensure there's a flow and a congruity to the dream's items and layout. Keep things "realistic" with enough fantasy or surrealism to be interesting and to capture the setting appropriately. Don't overdo it and make them wacky and wild.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 03:51:35 PM by Archimedes »
A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #21: October 11, 2008, 01:02:52 PM»
Fantasy dreams are lovley, but I'm hoping to try to do something different. Again, thanks for all the help guys.  :)

Raikku

«Reply #22: October 17, 2008, 10:02:00 AM»
I've been looking for a feral wolf swamp-themed RP for some time. That would be awesome.

I see you want something different than fantasy...maybe a mix of sci-fi and fantasy? If you've ever played the Panzer Dragoon series, that's a good point to start getting ideas. Here's a link for an art site if you wanna get the concept: Click