turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Closed before it gets repetitive. Thanks, everyone <3  (Read 985 times)

Offline Suzy

Closed before it gets repetitive. Thanks, everyone <3
«: September 21, 2008, 09:14:27 PM»
http://uzikyo.deviantart.com/art/Uzikyo-Chibi-Complete-98633130

I spent like, FOREVAH shading this one. This is the first fully shaded piece I've done since getting my tablet. Critique, plz. Oh and I know the backround sucks, don't bother commenting on that. XD

Also, what would you pay for art like this?

<3Cup
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:20:35 AM by Cup Ramen »

Sesruc

Re: Need some serious crits up in hurrrr.
«Reply #1: September 22, 2008, 03:13:38 PM»
1. find/make/decide on a light source
2. stick with it!

from the little shading on her hair, face, neck, arms, and legs we can tell that there is a light source coming from the top. the dress shouts a light source from the right. both don't agree with each other. yes, of course you can have more than one light source in a picture but you can't just say that her dress is lighted this way while her face is another.

and don't be afraid to add highlights also. :P

Offline Tat

«Reply #2: September 22, 2008, 03:35:53 PM»
I agree with both Mauser and Sesruc.

Also. I can only really give you advice added onto theirs.

I keep getting better everyday just by looking through art on DA and Drawing whenever I get the chance.

I use stick figures to get the pose most of the time and then add on the 'meat' around it. Keep your purportions in check and don't be afraid to start over all together.

As for shading. I'd worry more on that later after I'd improved on my lines. But, Shading is something you can make a style all your own. Depends on what you're going for. I'd say your work now has a more cell-shaded look.

Over all. Keep drawing. Draw your little heart out, and you'll see that you will tweek and fine tune naturally. And over time, your work improves.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #3: September 22, 2008, 11:15:51 PM»
I love you all for your critiques. <3 but I'm a defensive nutcase, so I must add...

Mauser: Yeah, my color theory and shading know-how is pretty non-existent. XD By the way, I didn't actually use the dodge/burn at all. XD; I actually have tried to keep my "anatomy" close on both chibi and "serious" works, but it doesn't always look great. Especially when I don't use any references at all.

Sesruc: Yeah... light sources are tough for me. I used a gradient to shade the dress that way because it was the first thing I colored, and I wanted to mess around with the gradients. XD Then I wasn't sure how I would use it to shade everything else, so... :P Wow, I really half assed this, didn't I?

Mod: Yep, I use stick figures. I even used a head ratio this time (3 heads making the entire figure). I do need much more practice.

Thanks, guys. :3

Offline Morgan

«Reply #4: September 23, 2008, 05:48:15 AM»

Sesruc: Yeah... light sources are tough for me. I used a gradient to shade the dress that way because it was the first thing I colored, and I wanted to mess around with the gradients. XD Then I wasn't sure how I would use it to shade everything else, so... :P Wow, I really half assed this, didn't I?

never ever ever use only gradients for shading unless you are doing that weird cel-shading style thing (which you are not doing).

Offline Suzy

«Reply #5: September 23, 2008, 09:19:58 AM»
Morgan: Yep, I have much to learn. I think I'll look up some shading tutorials before I try and half-ass something else XD