turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Dream design pet peeves.  (Read 4945 times)

Offline Lovedoll

Dream design pet peeves.
«: September 26, 2008, 09:17:24 AM»
Disclaimer up front: Do NOT talk shit about specific dreams here. Don't even refer to them somehow. This is purely about flaws in design and DS that bug the shit out of you, nothing else.

----------------------------

Me, personally? I hate 'reversed doors'. I walk top left into a door, but I end up FACING a top left door again which I just walked out of. Or I walk right into a door, and suddenly it moved to the bottom... while I just walked through a door at the bottom. :(

Huge ass intro texts. When there are 2 pages of text with 'I thank... <insert list of people>', a gigantic introduction to the setting etc. I won't read all that shit if I'm dreamhopping or even regular a place. I'll be content with a few lines of "Welcome to ..., please click here for a forum and here for our rules. Read them and enjoy your stay!" It makes me more likely to click and read the rules than having to scroll up several pages to find it.

What are your pet peeves? :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:30:43 AM by Starri »

Offline Sync

Re: Dream design pet peeves.
«Reply #1: September 26, 2008, 07:36:19 PM»
my biggest one is stupid stupid dream skins. like, the ones that shrink portraits or the game window or change colors and make them hard to read.

my second biggest is dream items that cuff you. blah.

Offline sarragh

«Reply #2: September 26, 2008, 08:19:49 PM»
Really shitty dream ports.

Sesruc

«Reply #3: September 26, 2008, 08:25:10 PM»

holy shit those things made me ;-;

Offline Tonks

«Reply #4: September 26, 2008, 08:34:31 PM»
huge spacious rooms and ugly, badly made patches.

Offline Booker

«Reply #5: September 26, 2008, 09:26:36 PM»
non-iso patches. 2 PIXEL SKEW GO

Offline Jenni

«Reply #6: September 27, 2008, 06:19:21 AM»
patches that look cropped from games/photos. it's so obvious guys, who are you trying to fool.

Offline Mredria

«Reply #7: September 27, 2008, 07:27:19 AM»
I hate rooms that are made for gatherings that aren't made so that people on the different sides of the room can hear each other.
---I apologize---

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #8: September 28, 2008, 06:56:58 AM»
Seeing over used patches/ports/dream artwork. For example, swiftkil's avatars and ports.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #9: September 28, 2008, 06:35:10 PM»
Oh shiiiiit, I could go on....

1. Patches that are not proportional to the walkabouts. For example, I'll see trees that were obviously meant to be quite large come up to a furre's head. Or, items you can "pick up" that are pretty much 3 times the walkabout's size.

2. Unrealistic building proportions, like walking into a tiny lookign building and seeing an extensively large room.

3. Huge rooms.

4. Places intended for a group to be in, but can't hear each other.

5. Build-A-Homes.

6. Dreams -very poorly- made from all default patches.

7. Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<

...The list goes ON AND ON AND ON.

Offline Kamose

«Reply #10: September 28, 2008, 06:42:02 PM»
Skins that replace the tab buttons with strange symbols whose meaning is not obvious. (Sometimes, you can hover over the buttons to learn their function, but why add needless complexity?) I admit that I am guilty of this one; my Egyptian skin (which I commissioned Alabaster Sea to draw) replaces the buttons with hieroglyphics.

Graphics that are not isometric.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:45:35 PM by Kamose »

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #11: September 29, 2008, 08:18:59 AM»
Also, items that aren't walkable but block a lot of areas, while items that are walkable shouldn't be.

Think candles (should be walkable) and desks (should not be walkable). It makes no sense. :(

Offline La-la

«Reply #12: September 29, 2008, 07:56:52 PM»
Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<Feral dreams featuring Swiftkill patches. >_<

and i don't use feral dreams.

Offline Mala

«Reply #13: September 29, 2008, 08:10:50 PM»

agree x infinity

i hate walking into a dream and going asdfghjsjhtdfg whenever i click on someone.

Offline Cowboy

«Reply #14: September 29, 2008, 08:13:47 PM»
I don't like dreams that have big complicated entrances, like hallways that go on forever and have 29320380283 rooms along them, to where it's difficult to find the bar/lounge/hangout area where everyone in the dream most likely is.
"You can't be gay and in a western, especially in Wyoming." she said, "Plus there weren't any gay people back in 1963."

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #15: September 29, 2008, 11:36:47 PM»
I don't see anything wrong with desks being walkable--I make most of the items in my dream walkable because, feasibly, someone could climb onto it (it seems to come up surprisingly often in RP). But that's also because I build my dreams with a fair amount of "clutter" to look more detailed and realistic, and I hate being blocked in by a bunch of unwalkable stuff.

My peeves are:

- spacial inaccuracies (a bunch of doors on a hallway right next to one another, each leading to GIANT ROOMS)
- empty space (you can make big open areas, just make sure to fill 'em with items and stuff that makes them interesting!)
- patching styles that don't match (not that big a deal, but it still irks me--for example, using 3D rendered items alongside TGT-style impressionisty patches.)
- standing in the corner of one room and seeing pieces of another room on the edge of the screen (sometimes unavoidable but I still dislike it)

Offline Skink

«Reply #16: September 29, 2008, 11:46:25 PM»
-Overlapping sound effects. Instead of playing spaced out they'll end up playing at the same time. I HATE walking on water splashing sounds too. SPLASHUNK splesheckspleshecksplesh eck. Easily remedied but the fact that it's even there is bothersome.
-Dream forums with the rules where you have to read them to get the password to enter but you have to join the boards to view them.
-Sparkly animated floors EVERYWHERE so it gives you a headache just from seeing your idle screen.
-out of scale, unshaded, lopsided items that just don't need to be there but they are and it's terrible.
-Swiftkill avatars and other over-used or default patches for EVERYTHING, reversed doors ad pretty much everything else mentioned here.
-Items that you're used to seeing animated that aren't, like the bon fires, but unanimated. It just seems so alien.
-Way to easy to get lost because EVERYTHING LOOKS THE SAME

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #17: September 30, 2008, 05:20:40 AM»
- Private rooms that are empty, have no walls and only 1 bed with a lock near the door.
- Oversized dreams... If you only have 10 people who regular your dream, you don't need 3 floors of private rooms and other facilities to accommodate them. You don't need 5 pens and 3 bars in a slave dream if it's just you and some friends. If you make the dream small for a small crowd, it will be much cozier and seems 'fuller', which is only positive for the atmosphere.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #18: September 30, 2008, 12:37:05 PM»
- Oversized dreams... If you only have 10 people who regular your dream, you don't need 3 floors of private rooms and other facilities to accommodate them. You don't need 5 pens and 3 bars in a slave dream if it's just you and some friends. If you make the dream small for a small crowd, it will be much cozier and seems 'fuller', which is only positive for the atmosphere.

I love cozy dreams in general. They're so nice! Though remember, sometimes a large dream can be very empty simply because it's new or in a bit of a slump. =) I like large dreams that provide lots of different settings for RP!

Erde

«Reply #19: October 21, 2008, 05:59:13 PM»
1. naked avatars

2. gigantic bars. there's no reason a bar needs 50+ stools, especially when the people sit in one concentrated area.

3. seeing other rooms in the corners.

4. poor construction overall.

5. jerk guests/owners.

6. 9/10 of the dream-goers idling.

Black Rain

«Reply #20: November 15, 2008, 06:03:14 AM»
1. Swiftkill Avatars
2 Unrealistic Room Sizes.  If I walk into a room, from the outside of a building, It should be the exact same size as the building
3. Over-used Default Patches
4. Poorly Made Dreams. - I don't care for dreams that look like they where slapped together in ten minuets
5. Build-A-Homes
6. Poorly Made and/Or Unshaded Items and/or Avatars
7. Un-Natural items being in feral dreams - Such as Rugs and Campfires. Ugh. If it's a feral dream, KEEP IT FERAL.
8. Unrealistic Characters in a feral dream. I don't roleplay with demon/vampire/dragon/undead/angelic/godly-like/winged/magical/mutated/lab-created/bionic/half-one animal, half-other animal/freak of nature type of any animal. It's just the way I am.
9. Jerk Drama Queen/Drama Creators who ruin things for other people by brining drama up or. creating drama just to be a total doushebag. This includes staff and/or others in the dream.
10. Too Many Dens in one dream.
11. Too many unwalkable items blocking my path
12. Mega huge dolls that do not belong in that type of dream. And even if they do, they ruin it because they are there.
13.  Staff that abuse powers to get their own way - That is common in 98% of all BAH dreams as well dreams in AI that even have staff.
14. Lazy staff that do nothing about something that is going on. Such as some one thrillkilling and staff won't raise a finger to do anything about it
15. Thrillkillers - There's one in nearly all Feral dreams.
16. ( -Overlapping sound effects. Instead of playing spaced out they'll end up playing at the same time. I HATE walking on water splashing sounds too. SPLASHUNK splesheckspleshecksplesh eck. Easily remedied but the fact that it's even there is bothersome. )  -Ditto that
17. ( -Dream forums with the rules where you have to read them to get the password to enter but you have to join the boards to view them. ) -Ditto That
18. ( I don't like dreams that have big complicated entrances, like hallways that go on forever and have 29320380283 rooms along them, to where it's difficult to find the bar/lounge/hangout area where everyone in the dream most likely is. )  - Ditto That
19. ( 9/10 of the dream-goers idling. ) Double Ditto to that.  And, I will add on my own bit to that as well.. I hate it when there's a feral dream with an OOC and, 99% of the dream is idling in that OOC and won't go out to roleplay. To me, that makes the dream look bad. If you want to roleplay, don't sit around and wait for it. Go out and DO IT. otherwise, you are considered LAZY.
20. Dreams with very little to No activity in it. - That's an add on to the one above.
21. Messed up room DS - If I walk in a room. I don't want to walk in ten feet from the entrance or, somewhere else in the dream.
22. Unnecessary scattered items all around the dream -This goes especially for feral dreams that allow people to drop dung all over the place.  I don't want to have to go around and clean up the dream just because people feel like spamming the dream with little piles of poop. And, getting messages whenever stepped on or, over the piles of poop.
23. Item Stealers/Hoarders - This goes mostly for BAH dreams but also, for all other dreams. Feral as well. I see many people take items from other people's homes/caves/houses and, hide them in the dream so they can come back for them later on and use them. Or, hide dolls around the edges where there are large enough trees/bushes to hide them.
24. Immaturity - They take the entire cake. Immature people who start stuff with others just because they are rude/obnoxious and/or want to pick a fight. And/or act like they are 5 years old.
25. This last one is a major pain in the rear.  People who do not research their animal before rolepalying it. - I mean seriously. Queens/Lionesses/Tigresses/Wolves that are in heat/estrus all the time. And, people who don't actual roleplay their animals out the way they should.. It's just sad.

There's a lot more but, I pretty much got down the basics.. :\

Offline Astell

«Reply #21: November 15, 2008, 10:56:51 AM»
While I agree with some of your peeves Black Rain, a lot of those are not 'Dream Design' peeves, moreso 'immature dreamgoers who ruin the experience for everyone else' peeves. :P Still legit, just a different subject.

Most of my peeves have already been said, mainly unrealistic rooms, overly huge dreams with lots of unused space, clipping errors, meeting rooms that don't work right, etc. You also tend to notice even smaller things when you make a lot of dreams yourself, such as lack of lip walls, items bleeding into each other, lack of floor/item transition, etc. There are a lot of little things you have to keep an eye out for when making dreams.

Offline Lassa

«Reply #22: November 24, 2008, 02:05:02 PM»
-objects placed in dreams not because they fit the dream's theme/should realistically be there, but rather because the dream owner simply liked the patch and felt this ABSOLUTE NEED to do something with it. and it's pretty obvious when that happens.
-huge rooms. i can deal with a ton of tiny rooms leading into eachother, but put me into a huge room and i will get lost. if i can stand in the middle of a room and not be able to see any walls on my screen, it's too big.
-stupid DSing. doors going the wrong way, stairs not working, frequently used commands being insanely long and a pain to type out.
-dreams so huge/with so many rooms it gets complicated. if it takes me more than a few minutes to get a basic idea of where everything is in the dream, it's too complicated. when you walk into a real building, it's pretty easy to find your way around. buildings on furc should work the same way.
-unwalkable items (mostly tables). sure, some objects shouldn't be walkable. tables should be, because people can actually stand on tables. that, and if they're in the middle of a room, moving around all of them is a pain.
-items that are shaded differently. if you use a patch that uses dithering and next to it is a patch that only uses two colours for the shading (with no dithering) and next to that is an item that uses a ton of colours to get a realistic look, it just end up looking awful.
-too many animated items. personally, i LOVE animated patches, but used sparingly. if there are a billion floating pillows in a row and flashing light things and animated floor tiles all in one room, it's just seizure inducing.
-dreams that only use downloaded patches/the default furc ones. it's not that hard to make a few of your own patches, and if you really can't, then i've seen tons of people offering to do a few free patches for people. a dream doesn't need to be made of entirely original patches, but it's nice to see something different.

those are the biggest ones. there are so many things that bother me XD

Offline Anevay

«Reply #23: November 25, 2008, 02:38:38 AM»
My pet peeve would have to be poorly utilized phoenixspeak or whatever it's called. (iDumb)
One dream I visit regularly at the moment uses it, I believe, for this 'darkness' effect that is just like a sort of film over your screen.
But the dark pixels blocking every other pixel of what you see makes it difficult to find the right spot to click on somebody with.
So I have to kind of click people three or for times before their desc finally shows up. ;<

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #24: November 25, 2008, 03:48:54 AM»
Anevay--phoenixspeak is comprised of variables that exist for each furre. For example, you could use PS to make strength/agility/defense stats for every furre who visits your dream, then use dragonspeak to manipulate those variables.

The thing you describe is a DS button(s) that are used to do screen overlay--I dislike this too, even when it's used for something that won't make it hard to click. Lots of people use it for weather but I think it looks odd. (I use walkable walls for rain/darkness/etc effects. Less DS involved and personally I prefer it! :P)

anything