turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Crits Needed. :)  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Suzy

Crits Needed. :)
«: September 30, 2008, 06:31:25 PM»
So, I'm rather soft-skinned about critiques, but I seek them anyway.

http://uzikyo.deviantart.com/art/Are-You-The-One-Colored-101096024

I'm looking for ways to improve the lineart (specifically the inking), and the shading. If you have links to awesome tutorials, feel free to post them~! All I ask is that you're polite. I get too many critiques that are basically calling me a horrible artist. I really worked hard on this one, and I hope that this reflects it!

Thanks so much. <3

<3Cup
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 02:41:27 PM by Cup Ramen »

Offline Desade

Re: What Should I Add?
«Reply #1: September 30, 2008, 06:58:37 PM»
I love drawing music, it's really interesting. But Maps looks nothing like that to me, so I don't want to ruin your vision. :)
~~~

Offline Sync

Re: What Should I Add?
«Reply #2: September 30, 2008, 07:02:56 PM»
i would try to make the woman flow more. right now she seems kind of static.

like, make the hair more whispy and add bend to the body.

Offline Suzy

Re: Crits Needed. :)
«Reply #3: October 18, 2008, 02:41:56 PM»
New piece to be critiqued. Ignore all posts before this one. :)

Sesruc

«Reply #4: October 18, 2008, 04:36:45 PM»
hm the main thing i see is the circular shadow on top of her nose.
i can't really see why it's there..?

i think your best bet is the put it -under- her nose. since well.. we don't have random holes on top of our noses.  :P

Offline Suzy

«Reply #5: October 18, 2008, 05:23:34 PM»
Sesruc: LOL. Yeah, a tutorial I read on shading placed a circle like that on a nose of that style, so I tried that. I tried to keep my light source at the top-left, where I also placed a gradient to show that. I guess I should move the shading on that nose down a bit, though, right? Thanks a bunch! :D

Offline La-la

«Reply #6: October 18, 2008, 05:30:40 PM»
your inking at the ends of the hair looks a little shaky. i can't be one to crit that though, i suck at using a tablet. try to keep in mind how hair flows. http://www.hotinhollywood.tv/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/29/hih0155892.jpg the ends of the hair there are a great example!

Offline Suzy

«Reply #7: October 18, 2008, 05:57:52 PM»
La-La: Ehehe. I have no excuse tablet-wise. I did the lineart traditionally, then inked traditionally. XD Anyway, yeah, I have loads of work to do with hair. Those are good examples, though. I want to try out a hairstyle like the picture on the left. <3 Thanks so much!

EDIT: LOL I MEANT I INKED DIGITALLY ;_;
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 08:00:41 PM by Cup Ramen »

Sesruc

«Reply #8: October 18, 2008, 06:56:31 PM»
I guess I should move the shading on that nose down a bit, though, right?

mhmm.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #9: October 19, 2008, 02:55:14 AM»
Taapeeeerrrr. Vary the thickness of lines at the ends so they don't look cut off and kind of 'disappear'. The easiest way to achieve this is by using pressure sensitivity. The harder you press, the darker and bigger the lines are. The softer, the thinner and lighter. I achieve pretty good lineart by using quick strokes with my tablet pen that way.

I often repeat myself, but it really just takes time and practice to get better. You will come to understand how hair and all that works if you draw it often enough. Try to use real life hairstyles and such for reference though. Anime isn't a good method of practicing. Even the greatest Anime artists have a basic understanding of realistic hair; you'll need it to stylize the hair to an Anime style.

But yeah, it just takes time. You're off to a good start. Tapering the ends of lines really helps to being with.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of editing her cleavage. The cleavage looks very hard, not soft or anything. A simple taper of the lines at the ends makes the breasts instantly look soft and supple:

If you pay mind to these simple things, your lineart will improve drastically already. :D You can do this by using the eraser tool. Also, I saw you mentioned on the deviation that you use the pen tool to lineart. I strongly suggest against this unless you use a mouse and not a tablet. If you have a tablet, try to get used to lining freehand, because the pen tool is extremely restricting. Even if the lines get jagged, use a thicker brush for the lines and then use the eraser to thin the lines and smooth them out.

It's time consuming, but a good way to start. I myself use the 'quick stroke' method. I just draw a line really fast in OpenCanvas, which makes it thin and smooth looking in one go.

The pen tool will draw smooth lines, yes. But if you use that to line with, you're not likely to develop a 'feeling' for the drawing, which makes it easy to make the drawing look static and stiff. Freehand is always best to get used to.

Don't be afraid not to draw 'perfect' lines. Like I said, time + practice. <3 And have fun doing it!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 03:00:56 AM by Starri »

Offline Suzy

«Reply #10: October 19, 2008, 10:06:23 AM»
Starri: Wow! Thank you so much for the great crit. I will fix her cleavage, it looks ten times better the way you did it. I'll be sure to try harder with freehand... I have no excuse to use the pen tool with a tablet. :3

Offline Silktale

«Reply #11: November 07, 2008, 05:11:20 PM»
As far as inking (if you're really attached to inking, that is... I generally feel that pictures without hard lines are prettier, though I've yet to master the technique myself. XD), I'd recommend, as Starri said, giving freehand a shot. I was fortunate enough to be around to see a buddy of mine get her portfolio critiqued by some folks at a comic con, and they seemed to be of the opinion that varying line weights was the way to go to make your ink more dynamic--that is to say, make some lines thinner, some lines thicker.
http://spikescafe.com/crit/lineweight.htm This is just the first discussion I found when I googled inking and line weights, but it seems to give a good general idea.

As for shading (another area that I, myself, need some big help in XD), be a little braver with your dark and light values. Try throwing some more shadows in there, and playing with blending. A good technique for this is to set your brush on low opacity, draw shadows, and then use the eyedropper tool around the margins of the shadows to get intermediate shades, and smooth the edges. Also, what might help you get started, if you're looking to shade faces, is to get a mirror and a lamp or a flashlight, and try shining it on your face from different angles to see where the hilights and shadows fall across the shapes of your features. From there, as you get more comfortable, you can vary the intensities of hilights and shadows for different strengths of light source/background lighting. For instance, a dark background with an intense light source will yield really harsh shadows and very localized hilights.

This is going to be a wee bit biased, but I'm absolutely against the anime "style" for learning. Try doing some drawing from pictures (heck... print 'em and trace 'em if you want to get a feel for how the lines go, so long as you're not passing the result off as original work). I think this'll be particularly beneficial to your rendering of hair. It's really easy, once you have a good grasp on more realistic sketching, to tweak things for a more "anime" style, but it's tough to translate the other way around. Much as I admire some anime-style artists, it tends to do some wonky things with proportions and features and oversimplifying 3D stuff, making it less dynamic-looking. But that's just my two cents... I don't feel like I really got better at drawing until I let go of anime. :p

Happy drawing!

anything