turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Releasing Art to the Public  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Archimedes

Releasing Art to the Public
«: October 03, 2008, 03:12:15 PM»
I have been having a rather vicious discussion with my co-Rah about releasing our unique patch items to the public. Now, there are some things I want to keep for myself, of course (some items that I've spent a lot of time on and want to keep unique to Urraim) but some items are just edits of the canon and didn't take me long.

His stance is that he wants to keep Urraim utterly unique because for some reason he believes that's all we've got going or something. Now, most of our items are MeanStreak items or edits thereof (I got her permission to edit her items, so that's fully legit, we only claim the edited items as being edits, not custom designed works). We have some items that I, personally, created (our sewers are custom made other than the torches) and our upcoming winter trees are ones that I made laboriously. They are edits of the Wylde patch items but... well I'll post 'em and you can see why they're so close to my heart, they took forever.

I am also working on making some other things that I'd like to keep to myself.

I guess the question I am posing is this: Is it a huge deal for a dream to release it's patch? Will it destroy our population and make us no longer unique or will people remember where they first saw these things? I understand that there are certain items in my patch set that are not mine and that I will never give out to anyone or make available to anybody without the artist's permission... however, if it's stuff I made and they are mostly edits, is it going to be a huge problem?
A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

Offline Lothus

Re: Releasing Art to the Public
«Reply #1: October 03, 2008, 06:35:58 PM»
As a non-artist (just a programmer), my feeling is that while patches can and do lend their own feel to a given dream, in the end it's the people and general atmosphere that makes or breaks a dream. I don't think that most of the time the patch being unique is the critical aspect. GOOD patching/choice in general is more important, I think. I've seen dreams made with barely (if any) more than the defaults that look and feel better than some fully patched-out-completely dreams.

I do believe that contributing patches back to the community is a good idea, since it breeds goodwill as well as getting your name out some more ("Get the <dream X> patch sets!"), but it doesn't HAVE to be done by any means.

Just my take on it... take it however you will. :P

Offline Hugo

«Reply #2: October 05, 2008, 12:40:41 AM»
Once you release patches a few things will happen. Initially people will remember where they came from, but over time they may very well become 'that victorian patch everyone has' or 'those trees they use in AI dreams'. They will devalue with time.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #3: October 06, 2008, 08:21:04 AM»
I guess the question I am posing is this: Is it a huge deal for a dream to release it's patch? Will it destroy our population and make us no longer unique or will people remember where they first saw these things? I understand that there are certain items in my patch set that are not mine and that I will never give out to anyone or make available to anybody without the artist's permission... however, if it's stuff I made and they are mostly edits, is it going to be a huge problem?

No.

;p

Hugo and Lothus are both right, too. Maybe just release some of them? Like ones you think people may need? I released a few of my patches like that.

anything