turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: crits + new.  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Asyd

crits + new.
«: October 10, 2008, 04:54:35 PM»
new*

i'm not finished yet..obviously.  i want to know how its looking so far...and what i need to do to make it look better, what to do to make the anatomy better, anything at alll ?

this is one of my recent drawings and i am actually proud of it considering how my art looked not too long ago.  i know it can't be too great though considering i still need help in the field of paws, heads, ears, and i suppose a couple other spots. maybe a lot maybe all.  i've looked up tutorials but none ever seem to help me so if you have any good ones you'd suggest that i might actually be able to follow along with then do it c:

its really hard for me to look at a picture on the comp and use it as a reference so i don't do that very often, and i didn't for this, but i was surprised that it turned out kind of nice..  it probably isn't helping me at all not doing that but yep.

so crits and tutorials areeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee very much welcome
i'll have more examples soon. and you don't have to give a price range i don't think my arts good enough for that just yet.

and another one...this one isn't finished.  not any specific breed. i'm just really confused whether or not the neck looks ok or not? and...everything about it basically.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:48:58 PM by Asyd »
i am r kelly

Offline Sedde

Re: crits
«Reply #1: October 11, 2008, 12:14:54 PM»
These are both well-done, but I fear you might fall into a trap a lot of beginner artists do: drawing the same angles of the same things all the time.
Try to start thinking about things in three dimensions, and even though your first few drawings might not turn out too good, it's important to exercise your mind that way!

Offline Asyd

«Reply #2: October 11, 2008, 08:50:16 PM»
These are both well-done, but I fear you might fall into a trap a lot of beginner artists do: drawing the same angles of the same things all the time.
Try to start thinking about things in three dimensions, and even though your first few drawings might not turn out too good, it's important to exercise your mind that way!

Thank you that actually makes me smile to know they're well-done, and yea! i've been worrying that i'm going to be nailed to only these angles cause thats really all i've been working at.  i'll take your advice and try some differen't ones. specially' frontal views..or just all views.
i am r kelly

Offline Sdae

«Reply #3: October 11, 2008, 09:36:53 PM»
I agree with what Dwy said.
Basically I have to say. You're art is off to an amazing start. I just know I can't draw wolves and what not very well and that I'm envious of you. Proportional wise is somewhat distorted but I think of it as your style. I love it. :3

I'm not sure what you need help in some areas of drawing wolves but heres a good spot to work on.
http://anuwolf.deviantart.com/art/Wolf-Paw-Tutorial-26378758
It may help you drawing their feet.
I know how hard it is to draw them. Heh, I have the same problem.
Keep up the great work.

I didn't see much of a problem in the drawing at all. I'm not sure if I made it any better, but the neck seems a bit bulky. If it was meant to be like that then it's all good. :3 I hope I helped a little bit.

Offline Asyd

«Reply #4: October 11, 2008, 10:26:45 PM»
I agree with what Dwy said.
Basically I have to say. You're art is off to an amazing start. I just know I can't draw wolves and what not very well and that I'm envious of you. Proportional wise is somewhat distorted but I think of it as your style. I love it. :3

I'm not sure what you need help in some areas of drawing wolves but heres a good spot to work on.
http://anuwolf.deviantart.com/art/Wolf-Paw-Tutorial-26378758
It may help you drawing their feet.
I know how hard it is to draw them. Heh, I have the same problem.
Keep up the great work.

I didn't see much of a problem in the drawing at all. I'm not sure if I made it any better, but the neck seems a bit bulky. If it was meant to be like that then it's all good. :3 I hope I helped a little bit.

aw thanks c:
and thank you for doing that. you're right about the neck thing. i wasn't sure how it should be since i'd never done the pose before. i'll try editing it with your tips. thank you again. and i'll have to try out that paw tutorial as well.
i am r kelly

Offline Morgan

«Reply #5: October 12, 2008, 02:23:51 PM»

fffuck listen to the woman on that

i did that for years and i am still trying to fix it
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:27:14 PM by Morgan »

Offline Asyd

«Reply #6: October 12, 2008, 03:31:29 PM»

fffuck listen to the woman on that

i did that for years and i am still trying to fix it

ha i'll be sure to
i am r kelly

Offline Asyd

Re: crits + new.
«Reply #7: October 16, 2008, 09:49:48 PM»
+ a new human thingg..
i am r kelly

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #8: October 17, 2008, 09:31:42 AM»
For the human drawing, keep proportions in mind. Don't stylize before you have realistic proportions down well. It really helps to know how long an arm or torso is supposed to be. Or that breasts are generally an inch or two lower than on your drawing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_proportions

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Big-Guide-to-Drawing-the-Body-15014442

It's almost creepy how well balanced out we are! You'll notice the torso is very long in your drawing. For women, the hips are also best being at the same width as the shoulders. (This creates a curve from the waist to the hips) The breasts need to be a little bit lower too.

My best advice is, don't use Anime to reference off of. It took me years to wrestle my way out of bad anatomy because I never learned the basics of a real human's body. Most good artists have a foundation of realistic drawing. If you know how something in real life SHOULD be, it's much easier to draw it stylized and still have it look good. :)

Offline Asyd

«Reply #9: October 17, 2008, 11:09:46 AM»
For the human drawing, keep proportions in mind. Don't stylize before you have realistic proportions down well. It really helps to know how long an arm or torso is supposed to be. Or that breasts are generally an inch or two lower than on your drawing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_proportions

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Big-Guide-to-Drawing-the-Body-15014442

It's almost creepy how well balanced out we are! You'll notice the torso is very long in your drawing. For women, the hips are also best being at the same width as the shoulders. (This creates a curve from the waist to the hips) The breasts need to be a little bit lower too.

My best advice is, don't use Anime to reference off of. It took me years to wrestle my way out of bad anatomy because I never learned the basics of a real human's body. Most good artists have a foundation of realistic drawing. If you know how something in real life SHOULD be, it's much easier to draw it stylized and still have it look good. :)

thank you for the helpful critique! i was having trouble with the arms, and the torso especially. trying to figure out what the right length would be/correct length.  i can't ever get used to looking at things (comp images) so i don't think i'll be using any anime to ref off of (ty for the tip) so i base it off of what i can see/know in real life.  i'll be editing this on what you've instructed/suggested (: thank you starri. also i will most definitely be using those links for help.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:12:02 AM by Asyd »
i am r kelly

Offline Silktale

«Reply #10: November 07, 2008, 06:05:56 PM»
I'd recommend that you lay out your figures and their poses/proportions with a stick figure, and flesh out from there. I have only ever met one artist who could just sketch as he went, without pre-measuring, and wind up with realistically proportioned figures.
Also, bear in mind that people are made of bones! (okay... they have bones -in- them, technically... but still!) Have a look at the human skeleton... make note of what should be solid, and draw accordingly. Try to avoid curves where the presence of a bone would prevent them. Bodies have pretty rigid structures under all of the muscle/fat/etc.
If you wanna get really fancy, some study of musculature would be a good idea too. I find anatomy books ultimately unhelpful for this, personally, and would recommend drawing from real pictures of different body types instead. Really muscular 'models' will show you what's under the skin, and then you can make the bumps and lines more subtle for less muscular figures. Practice makes perfect and all that jazz.

I will try to illustrate what I mean with some redline action when I get home later.

I haven't ever worked with feral drawings, really, myself, so I can't give you any specific tips... but photo-references for realistic poses/body angles/anatomy are never a bad way to go. Hope this helps! Happy drawing!