turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Thinking of raising price. What do you think?  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Shnee

Thinking of raising price. What do you think?
«: October 11, 2008, 01:02:50 AM»
Okay, so I've seen the quaulity people offer for 15 gd and I'd like to think I meet it. ._. Right now I only charge 10 gd, but I need to get some more gd, so the extra 5 would be nice. x)
So I just want some opinions if anyone else thinks a price raise is reasonable:

They go in order from newest to oldest, so the ones towards the end might not be as good as ones towards the top.

But yeah.
Do you think I could get 15 gd for my ports? I'm also /usually/ pretty quick with my commissions. It normally never takes more than a week.

Offline Nny

Re: Thinking of raising price. What do you think?
«Reply #1: October 11, 2008, 01:06:02 AM»
I'd say go for it.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #2: October 11, 2008, 12:13:32 PM»
Heck yes! I love your two most recent ones especially. :D

Offline Sync

«Reply #3: October 11, 2008, 12:24:45 PM»
i think so!

Offline Hathor

«Reply #4: October 11, 2008, 01:04:14 PM»
YES.

Offline Mauser

«Reply #5: October 11, 2008, 07:39:11 PM»
some, i think, are priced fairly at 10 GD, but others look outstanding and i think upping the overall price 5 GD would be a safe venture.

Offline Desade

«Reply #6: October 11, 2008, 07:40:11 PM»
Hell yes, do it! Mrs. Lovett and Sweeney Todd. <3
~~~

Offline Sdae

«Reply #7: October 11, 2008, 09:42:14 PM»
I agree with you raising your prices.
Your ports are amazing. :)
Go for it.

Offline Shnee

«Reply #8: October 12, 2008, 12:31:29 PM»
Looks like I'm charging 15 now. x)

Though could you tell me why, Joel? Like what you think I need to fix?

Offline Tycho

«Reply #9: October 16, 2008, 02:39:14 AM»
I personally wouldn't pay over 10 for them.

I have to agree... they're somewhat hit or miss between 'mediocre' and 'excellent', and I feel that if I was charged 15 gd for it and it turned out to be 'mediocre' I'd feel somewhat shafted. 10 is more or less 'you get what you pay for'. I generally don't pay more than 10 for a port unless I've desperately wanted one from the artist or their commissions are never open and SUDDENLY they are but they're 15 - 20. You're rather accessible and seem to be fairly open with your commissions so it's never something I'd need to try hard to get a slot for.

I think 10 is a good price for your stuff. I'm not bashing you or anything, you're good -- but raising the price not only discourages people with smaller wallets, but it also lessens the commissions you can get because people will look and say '...what? she used to be 10. this is bogus :c i'm gonna go spend my 10 gd somewhere else.' -- If you keep them at 10 and advertise more, you'll get more commissions(since you're quick and efficient!!) and compensate for staving off the up in price. {:

Offline Shnee

«Reply #10: October 16, 2008, 10:15:29 AM»
'Kay. oo
I'd still like to know what's wrong with them that'd consider them "mediocre".
As I said, ones towards the end are much older (like from last year).

Offline La-la

«Reply #11: October 16, 2008, 10:50:40 AM»
i'd like to see a couple more new ones before you think of raising prices!

Sesruc

«Reply #12: October 16, 2008, 03:35:43 PM»

your shading is real pretty :)

but one thing that i noticed on your ports..
prime examples being the ones to the left and right of the dragon port on the top row

is that they kinda look like they have holes in their arms. it seems like you were going to add some muscle definition (which is good!) but i suggest studying a little more on muscle placement in particular.

maybe this will help

edit: oh yeah and i forgot to say that the seiri port looks good too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:06:46 PM by Sesruc »

Offline Shnee

«Reply #13: October 16, 2008, 09:29:28 PM»

you're shading is real pretty :)

but one thing that i noticed on your ports..
prime examples being the ones to the left and right of the dragon port on the top row

is that they kinda look like they have holes in their arms. it seems like you were going to add some muscle definition (which is good!) but i suggest studying a little more on muscle placement in particular.

maybe this will help

edit: oh yeah and i forgot to say that the seiri port looks good too.

Thank you. xD
Now /that/ was helpful. I'll deffiantly work on that, thanks. :3

Offline lu

«Reply #14: October 17, 2008, 07:57:36 AM»
i'm usually against people charging over 10gds for portraits..
but if you really need the money, i say go ahead.

Offline sarragh

«Reply #15: October 17, 2008, 08:24:19 AM»
I agree with Lu. I don't believe paying over ten dollars for portraits (or drawings I never got from certain artists, wink wink). Rarely I've seen portraits worth more than twelve. Maybe if there was more consistency in your examples - more new ones, it would help with the price jump.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #16: October 17, 2008, 09:23:46 AM»
'Kay. oo
I'd still like to know what's wrong with them that'd consider them "mediocre".
As I said, ones towards the end are much older (like from last year).

Maybe you can get better opinions if you update with more recent examples? I personally wouldn't feel inclined to pay 15 because I'm not very convinced of the consistency in your style. It's partially caused by older portraits I'm sure.

However, you have nearly a dozen different styles in your samples in regards to faces and anatomy. One time it's a cannon anime style, the other time it's almost realistic looking. It's good you have variety, but if you don't have a steady style to base everything off of, people aren't confident in what you can deliver to them.

I'm basing this on the sample sheet, but the most important thing about wanting to commission an artist is an up to date, easy sheet. It portrays your current abilities after all, and if those have improved you need to improve the sample image too! :)

Offline Glory

«Reply #17: October 17, 2008, 10:03:19 AM»
Important thing to consider is, do these people get commissions for their quallity of work?
I could charge 20 GD for a stick figure, and it'd mean nothing if I wasn't getting any buisness.

I would personally recomend staying at around 10 GD right now, because you're style and quallity seems to change alot. That KH port & maybe that koi-fishhumanthing is 15 GD I'd say because I love the shading and hair on them, but everything else... it's easy to tell you either change style too much, didn't spend as much time for some reason, or just didn't give it your full because the character didn't inspire you much at all.
Even if none of those are true, that's what it'll look like to someone thinking about commissioning you, and it can be the point that makes them go through and note you or turns away and leaves.