turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: price/crit ports plz?  (Read 758 times)

Offline Mala

price/crit ports plz?
«: October 11, 2008, 01:25:16 AM»
okay so i think i've improved just a tad on my anatomy and shading. i know i still have to work on A LOT (eyes, fur shading, hair, backgrounds, males..)

but i'd love some pricings or crits (or both) on any of my newer ports. right now i'm pricing them at 3GDs, so i'm wondering is that accurate or should it be lowered/raised?

examples:

remap:

(newest - oldest)

nonremap:

(newest - oldest)

more examples here: http://lune-ports.deviantart.com/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:49:16 AM by Mina-chan »

Offline Sedde

Re: price/crit ports plz?
«Reply #1: October 11, 2008, 12:12:23 PM»
I can definitely see some improvements in some aspects, but for a lot of your shading it just looks like a one-way gradient...which it shouldn't be. Some of the anatomy is off, too, and overall these just don't look very polished. I've seen worse, sure, but...yeah, you have a lot to work on. I'd actually lower the price to 2 GD until you straighten out a few more of these admitted problems.

Cute, but no cigar, I guess?

Sookan

«Reply #2: October 16, 2008, 03:47:13 AM»
i actually think 3-5 is fair. the prospect that you've already got to do 3/4 times the work to make as much as most artists is pretty... idk. i wouldn't say your work is 4 times worse than the standard price, is what i mean.

just keeping practising, really.

as for crits..
all your mouths seem to be the same shape, and look exactly the same. maybe try some variety?
also it might just be my preference, but i think the way you shaded the hair makes the strands look a little too bulky. otherwise, if you just look at other artists' work and get a idea, you should be on the right track.

Offline Adielle

«Reply #3: October 21, 2008, 02:26:10 AM»
I'd recommend working on your anatomy and shading a bit before you start selling ports.  The reason for this is that, as DWY has already said, your work isn't bad, but really needs to be polished off before your going to get anything worth your time.  I don't see the point wasting your time on commissions that may take you an hour+ for only 2-3gd.  At the moment, thats really all I could say you'll earn and I don't know if your going to be happy working hard for very little.  Just keep practicing and you'll get better.  :)  Once you feel bit more confident in your anatomy and shading, then I would suggest to come back and get a better pricing estimate at that time.

Hope this helps!
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #4: October 21, 2008, 06:30:08 AM»
I actually disagree with the general notion that "artists aren't ready for commissions", aka should wait - as long as people are willing to buy your artwork, you ARE ready for commissions! It's not about whether you're good enough for it, but if people like it enough to want to pay you for it. And quite obviously you enjoy doing these as it is. :D

Yeah, you can polish some things up, but I've seen your older works (ones that aren't listed, I believe) and your works now and I can definitely tell you're getting much better. You've jumped from this:

http://lune-ports.deviantart.com/art/Astrokitty-3-81302855

to this:

http://lune-ports.deviantart.com/art/a-smile-for-the-bell-100387107

It's an obvious improvement in both anatomy and an understanding of lightsources. ;D For approximately 6 months, this is pretty darn good!! I actually can't wait to see what you can do within the next 6 months.

My only crit besides more practice in general would be to play with facial expressions. You're very set on the same smile over and over again, which can become very monotone and boring. The eyes and mouth are very important things in a drawing, and the better you can convey emotions through an expression, the more appealing your drawings and ports will become. Although it can be considered your style, try not to stick to the same round beady eyes. Expressions really are the key to making a drawing stand out, so while your general anatomy needs work, people are less likely to judge harshly on it if their eye is drawn to something else - like a very captivating expression. :)

anything