turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: critique, please? UPDATED 2-14  (Read 1379 times)

Offline dictate

critique, please? UPDATED 2-14
«: February 03, 2008, 08:57:36 PM»
first post:

EDIT: (as of February 14th)
- Here is an example I did the other day, which took me forever because I was experimenting, but I think it turned out 'well' for a first attempt. I took the shading critique into consideration, and I tried really hard. (Mainly on the fur). The hair gave me a lot of trouble, and I probably redid it like five or six times. For now just ignore it, because I haven't gotten very far yet.

It's not great, but I did try. It would probably be most helpful if the same people were to critique me, so if you commented last time and happen to take another look, any further suggestions or general opinions are welcomed.

UPDATED, again.

I know my shading still needs quite a bit of work, but I think I've improved a little. :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:44:46 PM by dictate »
har har.

Offline Zodiac

Re: critique, please?
«Reply #1: February 03, 2008, 10:43:29 PM»
I think you need to work a little more on shading before doing commissions. Its a little flat, without much shading done at all really. Cleaning up the line work helps a lot too, making the lines smoother and what not. Otherwise, I think you are off to a very good start.

Offline Sanne

«Reply #2: February 04, 2008, 06:21:55 AM»
Yeah, what Turq said. :)

Instead of letting someone else do it for you, if you're truly serious about selling your ports you should try and practice shading yourself. Ask artists who're good at it for pointers while you work on your ports (during the drawing, not afterwards) and try to study some tutorials about shading in general.

One helpful tip: shading comes in countless different shades of dark and light: http://www.rebekahlynn.com/free/tutorial/12shadesm.jpg

Use these different types of darkness to create depth. The darker the shade and the better gradient there is, the more realistic it becomes: http://www.rebekahlynn.com/free/tutorial/blending.gif

In terms of anatomy, shading exists where light doesn't reach. For example, think of a nose. When the sun shines on it form the left, the right side has shading because it can only light up one side.

Or think of cheekbones; when someone has high cheekbones and they smile, a little dent is formed in the cheek. That little dent lies deeper than the rest of the face and therefore gets a deeper shade: http://www.rebekahlynn.com/free/tutorial/cheekbones.jpg

I know it's a little hard to understand if you're not that good with shading. But it basically comes down to two things: understanding anatomy and understanding how lightsources work.

Like I said, your best bet is asking for a good artist to help you while you draw to give you pointers. :D And use different shades!! Only using one dark, one normal and one light color looks flat. Try using three dark colors, one normal and two light colors for example. It'll make a world's difference!!!

I really, really like the appeal your ports have and your art in general is pretty good. It has a really personal touch to it. ;) Keep practicing and you can sell ports worth 10 bucks in no time, I'm sure!

<3

Edit: Oh, and as far as price goes, 5GD may still be a little much. 3GD seems a bit more reasonable. However, the only reason I'm saying this is because of the shading. If you improve on that a bit, 5GD will be a good price. :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:24:26 AM by Sadil »
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Offline dictate

«Reply #3: February 04, 2008, 05:55:26 PM»
Thanks, to both of you. (:
har har.

Offline Mala

«Reply #4: February 04, 2008, 07:20:37 PM»
Turq and Sadil covered it all basically.

Your lineart is decent, and I spot a few anatomy mistakes. Keep workin on that and you'll see drastic improvemets fo sho. c:

Offline dictate

Re: critique, please? UPDATED 2-14
«Reply #5: February 14, 2008, 03:37:41 PM»
bump?
har har.

Offline Sanne

«Reply #6: February 14, 2008, 05:39:10 PM»
Ooh, I like!! You did a most excellent job trying to improve shading on the fur. I can see you tried to take the facial structure in consideration. :) Very good! It's not perfect yet but it's a HUGE HUGE improvement, hehe.

A few tips for the highlights: the highlight on her cheekbone could be a little further up. You can also try to highlight the other cheekbone. Besides it being a slight bit too low, it looks good. ^^

The areas above the eyebrows usually stand out a bit. Look at this:
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/tutimages/profile2.GIF
See how the forehead's most left point is right above the eyebrows? It means that area is normally highlighted. In your port you have an excellent start with highlighting the middle of the forehead, but you could expand it more to both sides.

As for the hair, yeah it's pretty hard. One way of trying to do it could be to go Anime style, but only with pixels.

http://ramy.deviantart.com/art/Anime-Hair-Shading-Tutorial-D-36095764

This tutorial is for photoshop, but there's a certain way this person shades hair. Look at the 4th picture shown in that tutorial - the closeup of the front bangs. It's the same you could try, except for straight lines you can make them wavy to fit the port's hair.

All in all though you get two thumbs up from me. <3 If you keep this up you'll be making real kickass ports within weeks!!
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Offline dictate

«Reply #7: February 15, 2008, 02:44:10 PM»
Thanks. The hair remap colors really make me mad because they never come out the right color, so that should help a lot.
<3
har har.

Offline Azula

Offline dictate

har har.

Offline Azula

«Reply #10: February 18, 2008, 10:07:52 PM»
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Monroe

thanks?

the marilyn piercing on our left is too low and should be up a little and moved closer to the nose. also, the eyebrow curved bar should be thicker.