turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Medical Marijuana Discussion Thread  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Tweak

Medical Marijuana Discussion Thread
«: November 23, 2008, 02:30:26 PM»
With countries changing their cannabis legislation around the world and in the wake of the failed "war on drugs," the topic of cannabis use for medicinal purposes has become more prominent than ever before and begs for intelligent and unbiased discussion for the sake of progression into the 21st century.

Cannabis has been used medicinally for thousands of years by different civilizations and cultures around the globe and has only recently been rediscovered by the western world. It now sees a consistently growing number of people who believe in the medicinal potential of the plant, which is gaining an increasingly sympathetic public opinion.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis

Discuss.

Offline Mredria

Re: Medical Marijuana Discussion Thread
«Reply #1: November 23, 2008, 05:01:23 PM»
The USA already uses medicinal marijuana in the form of Marinol.
---I apologize---

Offline Tweak

«Reply #2: November 23, 2008, 08:01:13 PM»
The USA already uses medicinal marijuana in the form of Marinol.

Marinol is synthetic tetrahydrocannabinol which is the main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis. It does not have any other of the component chemicals of natural cannabis plants. Compounds such as Cannabidiol and β-Caryophyllene have medical benefits of their own. People entitled to medical marijuana should still have the option of going natural, which is the way the plant has been used medicinally for thousands of years because of its effectiveness.

Offline Mredria

«Reply #3: November 23, 2008, 09:03:37 PM»
Gotta say, I'm no enemy to research. Pour money into it, find a way to put every part of it in a pill or syrup or tea or cream and trial trial trial it down into a fine paste.
From cancer to appetite to ASS WARTS I want to know everything every plant on the whole goddamn planet can do.
---I apologize---

Offline Hugo

«Reply #4: November 23, 2008, 11:45:31 PM»
It's kind of like my position on alcohol. There are people who are responsible with it and there are jackasses who ruin it for everyone. Same goes for Marijuana. I'm pretty happy that it's not legalized, but if it ever is, there will be no prohibition on it in the future. It will be impossible.

Just put tax on it and try and pull the economy back up with the profits if they ever open the gates on  legal Mary Jane.

Offline Azula

«Reply #5: November 23, 2008, 11:59:24 PM»
Just put tax on it and try and pull the economy back up with the profits if they ever open the gates on  legal Mary Jane.

back in nevada (as well as in california, i'm pretty sure this is applicable everywhere else, though) taxes on alcohol and tobacco were what paid for education. i think it'd be pretty bomb if they legalized weed to help pay for a shit load of costs. not to mention that it'd be looked over - for lack of a better word - and restricted.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #6: November 24, 2008, 03:57:12 PM»
if it helps, use it. don't be a dumbass and say HEY THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU, WE COULD HELP BUT IT'S ILLEGAL.

people abuse the shit doctors give them now anyway. sure it's not the same, but the point is people are clearly going to do it regardless, doctors already hand people death in a bottle and trust them to properly use it.

people abuse everything, it's unavoidable. there's risks to everything. unavoidable. flaws with everything. unavoidable. but sometimes it helps which makes it oh, i don't know, perhaps worth it??

there is no perfect drug, shit is going to fuck you up, but i say it's up to you. if you think treatment is worse than the sickness, don't do it. morally, physically, whatever, nobody else cares, it's your body, do whatever you want with it. nobody is MAKING you take this shit so stop complaining about it. YOU are not affected by what that guy down the block is taking for his migraines or what that other chick next door is taking because she fucked her ankle up.

not to mention that it'd be looked over - for lack of a better word - and restricted.

Offline tooth

«Reply #7: November 24, 2008, 05:12:48 PM»
neutral about it, i do think that it needs to be decriminalized to where the punishment is less severe..way less if possible-, i mean come on they find you growing 3 plants and you're looking at 3-6 years PLUS if they tack you on intent to distribute or actually blaming you as some sort of dispensary actually,. a friend went to PRISON for 3 years for having an ounce/internal possession. thats it. hahaha but in the same city theres a man that still walks free who killed one and raped like...13 people? they even knew who it _was_..ANYWAY blahblah
 ..if it was legalized i'd fear that it might actually become toxic to society, haha it seems like- dumb people get busted with weed, if you're smart about it and have a logical or spiritual reason to use it beneficially, and can prove that,you are pretty much above the law. setting an age limit or restrictions is just gonna heighten interest in it as use for something to "fuck you up"  something like smokable alcohol. that would be abusing cannabis, leave the government and law out of it. if it was legalized- maybe, we'd actually have deaths or psychological problems related to weed, then lol

it would be a lot more convenient though for people who seek it for spiritual reasons/pain/illness could get it, so i guess in other ways youd be getting rid of/reducing certain types of violent crimes/homicides but just a fraction- but theres always more illegal shit to sell that bring some other statistic in something else. it all comes down to yourself and your reasons, laws  complicate things.

this is a pretty cool site comparing weed/alcohol effects, i guess that could be helpful looking at fact-wise comparing a legal intoxicant to an illegal one..lol
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_research1.shtml

lots more info:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

Erde

«Reply #8: November 24, 2008, 05:49:55 PM»
It's kind of like my position on alcohol. There are people who are responsible with it and there are jackasses who ruin it for everyone. Same goes for Marijuana. I'm pretty happy that it's not legalized, but if it ever is, there will be no prohibition on it in the future. It will be impossible.

Agreed.  Things are only bad if people abuse them.  Organic, and sometimes even developed substances themselves tend to be harmless in moderation. (Not that I'd ever do anything like LSD or Meth, but I might try weed or shrooms if I was feeling craa~aazy).

I myself voted yes on legalizing marijuana.  My parents are nurses and have worked with several people who used marijuana for medicinal purposes.  I have a friend who's Mom uses it, and I don't see what's so wrong with letting someone have something to help them, just because other people are assholes and abuse it. My same philosophy on Gun Control.

Offline Skink

«Reply #9: November 25, 2008, 05:15:44 AM»
I've had a good number of family members use medical marijuana to regain appetite and beat back cancer surgery and treatment pains. It worked for them. One woman I know who's pretty much dead already who won't use it, but it's because she didn't feel she needed it and she hates the smell, not because she hated the fact it was weed. It can probably be used for lots of other things that I'm not aware of (I've only seen it practiced within a personal distance for cancer.)It's being given to them legally to help them escape a harmful medical problem that they don't want to deal with, and really shouldn't have to if they can just have the shit.  If it works and that's the reason they're using it, then really, why not.

Oh because so and so doesn't like it, right, forgot about them. Then again so and so probably isn't starving themselves from lack of appetite the chemo that was trying to blast the fist sized tumor hanging off of their right lung caused or something like that. There's no reason for it not to be used to HELP people if it's proven to work up, down and out the ass time and time again other than people don't like it and will complain. A lot. Diplomatic ruination, easily hyped public, bull-headed chewing the anger-cud over nothing, headaches that can't be fixed with what they're fighting against kind of a lot.

They'll be damned if something they don't like is going on in the world that obviously revolves around them because they are right and holy in all things. All mighty so-and-so can ruin a lot of good ideas.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #10: November 25, 2008, 10:43:45 AM»
What about the fact that in some states where is it not legalized it is decrimalized?

Meaning there is generally no criminal fine or punishment for having a personal amount (defined by statute and varying from state to state) or if there is it is a minimal and trivial fine.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline tooth

«Reply #11: November 25, 2008, 10:49:39 AM»
What about the fact that in some states where is it not legalized it is decrimalized?

Meaning there is generally no criminal fine or punishment for having a personal amount (defined by statute and varying from state to state) or if there is it is a minimal and trivial fine.

word! in oregon less than an ounce will just get you a citation depending on the cop that catches you, but legally its just a misdemeanor. where i am, under 2 grams will get you a 500$ + fine, possibility of being held in a jail cell, and misdemeanor. lol i def. think that it should be decriminalized in every state ):

Offline Tweak

«Reply #12: November 25, 2008, 02:08:44 PM»
i also hate the "it leads to harder drugs" spiel; one thing can always lead to another through misuse.

Agreed. Too much of anything is bad for you.  Much like with any other chemical, tolerance to cannabis increases with use which means that the highs a smoker gets will lessen gradually over time if he does it incessantly. But moving on to the next drug is still a choice.

Peer pressure is something good parenting should address.

I can't even consider putting alcohol and marijuana on the same set of scales. They are entirely different drugs to each other.

There are jackasses who ruin everything for everyone. But when I think of social stigmas, I think of all the anti-propaganda marijuana has seen over the years and then consider all the people that I do know who smoke and then realize that legalization would probably be safer for everyone.

Neither do I believe that there will be a sudden giant influx of users should it become legal. It will more likely be a case of all the users being like, "Hey! I don't have to go into crack dens now to buy my weed off of drug traffickers." and can now go to government regulated dispensaries which have a better choice of quality and strains.

The only people who deserve to get busted are the ones running the large illegal grow operations and border traffickers.

..if it was legalized i'd fear that it might actually become toxic to society, haha it seems like- dumb people get busted with weed, if you're smart about it and have a logical or spiritual reason to use it beneficially, and can prove that,you are pretty much above the law. setting an age limit or restrictions is just gonna heighten interest in it as use for something to "fuck you up"  something like smokable alcohol. that would be abusing cannabis, leave the government and law out of it. if it was legalized- maybe, we'd actually have deaths or psychological problems related to weed, then lol

this is a pretty cool site comparing weed/alcohol effects, i guess that could be helpful looking at fact-wise comparing a legal intoxicant to an illegal one..lol
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_research1.shtml

lots more info:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

I do believe there should be an age limit set to cannabis. In the Netherlands, where weed is completely legal, it's 18 to buy and 18 to enter a coffeeshop. People under the age of 18 are children and generally don't make responsible choices.

Ty for contributing the links.

Decriminalization is a step in the right direction. I don't think we have the decriminalization thing mastered in North America yet:

http://cannabisnews.com/news/23/thread23426.shtml
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070709/pot_arrests_070709?s_name=&no_ads=
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/18/national/main2369758.shtml
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/127940.html

The way the Netherlands deal with their drug policies is inspiring: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

Unfortunately it's all politics over here.

word! in oregon less than an ounce will just get you a citation depending on the cop that catches you, but legally its just a misdemeanor. where i am, under 2 grams will get you a 500$ + fine, possibility of being held in a jail cell, and misdemeanor. lol i def. think that it should be decriminalized in every state ):

Where are you and what is the police coverage there?

Offline Moose

«Reply #13: November 25, 2008, 02:37:10 PM»
For the alcohol relation to Marijuana.. I think of it such as: You see people beating their wives and killing people while drunk and disorderly. You never hear about anyone doing anything particularily violent to others while high on it's drug (At least, not here in Canada, anyways).
If anything, make Alcohol the bad word here. Marijuana, if used appropriately, is fine in my opinion to legalize. Though, like alcohol, should require a legal age to purchase, etc.

Slap a tax on it to make it worth it to the economy.

Just my opinion, is all, as I see things.

Medical Marijuana has it's benefits, and it's cons. It solely depends on the user's responsibility, just like everything in this world.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:38:56 PM by Moose »

Offline tooth

«Reply #14: November 25, 2008, 03:23:21 PM»

Where are you and what is the police coverage there?

im in IL, weed is not decriminalized.
2-30 g's = a b & c misdemeanors (2.5 grams is punishable by up to six months imprisonment + a nice 1500$ fine), anything higher is a felony and fines can vary on both but 30+ gs (about an ounce) will probably get you a few years in prison also a fine of 25000$...an ounce really isnt that much if you think about it either,most consider it a personal stash... but anyway, i do know a lot of the tims your fate can teeter on the cops mood or attitude towards you which isnt fair at all either:/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:29:12 PM by tooth »

Offline Adielle

«Reply #15: November 26, 2008, 03:45:22 AM»
For the alcohol relation to Marijuana.. I think of it such as: You see people beating their wives and killing people while drunk and disorderly. You never hear about anyone doing anything particularily violent to others while high on it's drug (At least, not here in Canada, anyways).
If anything, make Alcohol the bad word here. Marijuana, if used appropriately, is fine in my opinion to legalize. Though, like alcohol, should require a legal age to purchase, etc.

Slap a tax on it to make it worth it to the economy.

Just my opinion, is all, as I see things.

Medical Marijuana has it's benefits, and it's cons. It solely depends on the user's responsibility, just like everything in this world.

Before I get into my opinion about the topic, I jsut wanted to say that YES, there are drugs that make people violent.  While marijuana might not be one of these, Ice sure as hell is.  There have been a huge load of problems for hospitals lately in Sydney and all across Australia due to Ice.  It makes people violent.  Nurses that are trying to help get hurt by these people.  So you can say marijauna doesn't cause violence, but there are other drugs out there that do.

Now for my opinion on the topic; I do believe they should legalize the use of marijauna for medicinal purposes.  I agree with it for many reasons.  I won't get into the why's, but I will say that it will only be beneficial in properly monitored.  The use of marijauna as stress relief, pain relief and relaxation for those with cancer, or other illnesses will be a good thing.  The only problem I foresee is people trying to bend the system to get the drug for their own personal use and not for true medical purposes.  This should be meant to help people who need it, not something for people who do it for pleasure to easily get their drugs.  Its true, if you overdo anything, it can be harmful, not just drugs, but I don't think we should be making marijauna avaliable to everyone for any silly little reason (like a broken wrist or something). 

Anyhow, thats just my opinion.  :)
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #16: November 26, 2008, 10:09:50 AM»
I live in a country where it's already legalized and sold in shops you can find in your average street. I'm not a user myself, but I can see the benefits it has to legalize a softdrug like this, medical purpose or not.

Marijuana in itself causes little harm to the body, especially compared to smoking cigarettes and taking lots of drugs (poor liver). In that sense, it's really not a bad drug. What makes it bad is how people excessively use it, but again that's no different from your average painkiller addict. I don't think that should be a reason not to legalize Marijuana, because if that's a valid reason, they need to get rid of regular painkillers too. How many car accidents happen because people are under influence of over the counter drugs?

The benefit of legalization is that people won't have to go through loopholes to get the drugs, whether it's for medical or personal use. There is a high chance crimes resulting from illegally obtaining the drugs will go down to almost zero, because you can get easily get it without having to take risks all over the place. It will be much easier to monitor how people use it, because they won't try to hide, since it's now 'okay to do'.

If you're going to legalize Marijuana, do it for -everyone-, not just for people who need it medically. If you're going to restrict it from a certain group of people, you will only end up with more crime (fraud especially) because people want an easier and 'legal' way to get it, injury or not. There's nothing wrong with using it for your own pleasure. If there is, what about cigarettes and alcohol? I know plenty of people who will shrug about cigarettes, BUT OH GOD FORBID someone may try to make weed okay. Seems a little bit on the hypocritical side, especially since cigs have much more of a worse and addicting effect than weed does.

Requiring a legal age and slapping taxes on it sounds pretty good though. You need to be 16 years or older to get into a shop here I do believe (not sure).

Offline Tweak

«Reply #17: November 26, 2008, 01:29:42 PM»
Before I get into my opinion about the topic, I jsut wanted to say that YES, there are drugs that make people violent.  While marijuana might not be one of these, Ice sure as hell is.  There have been a huge load of problems for hospitals lately in Sydney and all across Australia due to Ice.  It makes people violent.  Nurses that are trying to help get hurt by these people.  So you can say marijauna doesn't cause violence, but there are other drugs out there that do.

This discussion is not about other drugs, it is about marijuana. "Ice" is crystal methamphetamine hydrochloride/meth* which is a synthetic drug and therefore puts it in a category of its own. Nor did anyone in this thread say that there aren't drugs that make people violent and/or messed up.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1Pl1zGowc

Now for my opinion on the topic; I do believe they should legalize the use of marijauna for medicinal purposes.  I agree with it for many reasons.  I won't get into the why's, but I will say that it will only be beneficial in properly monitored.  The use of marijauna as stress relief, pain relief and relaxation for those with cancer, or other illnesses will be a good thing.  The only problem I foresee is people trying to bend the system to get the drug for their own personal use and not for true medical purposes.  This should be meant to help people who need it, not something for people who do it for pleasure to easily get their drugs.  Its true, if you overdo anything, it can be harmful, not just drugs, but I don't think we should be making marijauna avaliable to everyone for any silly little reason (like a broken wrist or something). 

Properly monitored by whom? Who's to say who's self-medicating and who's not using it for "true medical purposes"?

Where is the line between "true medical purpose" and "any silly little reason"?

The range of effects of cannabis on human health is so wide and diverse that medical research still trying to determine the full extent of its natural capabilities. People throughout history have used it for numerous reasons of their own without doctors ever prescribing it to them.

I live in a country where it's already legalized and sold in shops you can find in your average street. I'm not a user myself, but I can see the benefits it has to legalize a softdrug like this, medical purpose or not.

Where?

If you're going to legalize Marijuana, do it for -everyone-, not just for people who need it medically. If you're going to restrict it from a certain group of people, you will only end up with more crime (fraud especially) because people want an easier and 'legal' way to get it, injury or not. There's nothing wrong with using it for your own pleasure. If there is, what about cigarettes and alcohol? I know plenty of people who will shrug about cigarettes, BUT OH GOD FORBID someone may try to make weed okay. Seems a little bit on the hypocritical side, especially since cigs have much more of a worse and addicting effect than weed does.

In an ideal world, it should be legal everywhere. Unfortunately, the legislative infrastructures of quite a few countries are rigid and don't allow for major and speedy change. But decriminalization is a step in the right direction. Decriminalization/legalization is daunting to most governments. There's the matter of how to tax it, how to get around the currently flourishing black market, and integrating it into the sectors that it affects in the legislation.

Offline Adielle

«Reply #18: November 26, 2008, 10:27:13 PM»

This discussion is not about other drugs, it is about marijuana. "Ice" is crystal methamphetamine hydrochloride/meth* which is a synthetic drug and therefore puts it in a category of its own. Nor did anyone in this thread say that there aren't drugs that make people violent and/or messed up.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1Pl1zGowc

Properly monitored by whom? Who's to say who's self-medicating and who's not using it for "true medical purposes"?

Where is the line between "true medical purpose" and "any silly little reason"?

The range of effects of cannabis on human health is so wide and diverse that medical research still trying to determine the full extent of its natural capabilities. People throughout history have used it for numerous reasons of their own without doctors ever prescribing it to them.

Well, first off, I wrote the beginning of that to Moose's comment about how drugs never seem to have violent affects, only alcohol, if you'd read what I had quoted.  As for meth, synthetic or not, its still a "drug."  Just because its chemically based, does not mean its in its own catergory when we are talknig about generalized "drugs."  If you think about it, any drug can cause violence if someone is too addicted and just has to have more.  Sorry for getting off-topic, but I felt the need to clarify that.

As for everything else, its simply my opinion.  There are always going to be people out there that know how to moderate their usage of various substances and are mature about how they use it and what reasons.  There is also another group that will abuse a substance and not use it for medical reasons that will aid in stress relief, pain relief, etc.  I suppose it should be monitored by the health system (and we are not just talking about the shitty US medical system, but any country thats considering legalizing medicinal use).  As I said, its my opinion that there will always be some people who will abuse it.  Abusing any substance is a bad thing.  I wish there were even stricter laws on alcohol, but I'm one person, nothings going to happen because of my opinion.  I believe marijauna, used for medical problems and illnesses can be a good thing, but I don't think that just because we release it as a perscribed treatment that it should be legalized for everyone in general.  There are good and bad effects to everything.

EDIT: Just found an old classmate on facebook that reminded me of another good reason it shouldn't be legalized past medicinal use.  Marijauna slows your reaction speed.  This is a good if you want to chill out and relax but not good in situations where you might be driving.  Its akin to driving drunk in some ways.  Her brother was killed back when I was in 10th grade from driving while under the influence of marijauna, and I am sure this isn't the only case.  If it were ever to become legalized, it would definitely need to be monitored more like alcohol, rather then being able to be bought from any gas station like cigs.  It may have good calming effects that might help after a stressful days work for some people, but it needs to be used properly and not while your driving or doing anything that could potentially hurt others.  Definitely not the sort of drug you should be going on your smoke break with.  In my opinion, people shouldn't be under the influence while at work.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:36:35 PM by Adielle »
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline Project-Capricorn

«Reply #19: November 27, 2008, 08:18:47 AM»
I might suggest checking out the Documentary, Super High me. It alot like Super Size me of course cept the guy is an avid pot smoker, actually does his comedy based off it. He goes off Pot for 60 days and takes all sorts of tests. IQ, Sperm, Physical, Metal, Lung. And then on pot for 60 days and doing the same tests. Now I'm sure everyones body could react differantly, but I suggest you check it out if your interested cause it gets into the state legalization of Pot in California, which was how he was able to film this legally. It goes into the uses of medical marijuana, and how the process works. And differant ways of injesting it, cause it suggests the worst part of it all is the heat and smoke burning your lungs. He actually uses something called a humidifier I think, it heats the buds to the point they produce the reaction needed to obtain a high, but without the heat from smoke. Though my opinion there is that its way to easy to get the liscence to smoke pot, as its been said before, like alchohol there will always be someone to ruin it.

I am on the fence with it. I have seen it relieve pain and work miracles on people, and I've also seen it drive weaker people to worse things. To me there is just too many pro's and cons, though frankly I think smoking is worse and rather see it illegal, over pot. Sorry to you smokers out there, its nasty, those black lungs they show you arn't fake. yuck.

Offline tooth

«Reply #20: November 27, 2008, 12:38:16 PM»
I might suggest checking out the Documentary, Super High me. It alot like Super Size me of course cept the guy is an avid pot smoker, actually does his comedy based off it. He goes off Pot for 60 days and takes all sorts of tests. IQ, Sperm, Physical, Metal, Lung. And then on pot for 60 days and doing the same tests. Now I'm sure everyones body could react differantly, but I suggest you check it out if your interested cause it gets into the state legalization of Pot in California, which was how he was able to film this legally. It goes into the uses of medical marijuana, and how the process works. And differant ways of injesting it, cause it suggests the worst part of it all is the heat and smoke burning your lungs. He actually uses something called a humidifier I think, it heats the buds to the point they produce the reaction needed to obtain a high, but without the heat from smoke. Though my opinion there is that its way to easy to get the liscence to smoke pot, as its been said before, like alchohol there will always be someone to ruin it.

I am on the fence with it. I have seen it relieve pain and work miracles on people, and I've also seen it drive weaker people to worse things. To me there is just too many pro's and cons, though frankly I think smoking is worse and rather see it illegal, over pot. Sorry to you smokers out there, its nasty, those black lungs they show you arn't fake. yuck.

woo vaporizers, they are much easier on the lungs. you can always bake weed into things, peanut butter even..anyway that sounds like a pretty neat movie, ive never heard of it! now im gonna have to check it out haha. also i totally agree!!  pot wont turn your lungs black unless youve been a chronic smoker for ....years and years.(im talking those crazy mofos that sit in caves in the middle east that eat once a week and breathe nothing but pot smoke all day) the oil (or resin) that comes off it cant stick to the mucus membranes in your lungs, unlike the chemicals in cigs. it breaks down- but sure, im not saying you wont experience the possibility of coughing it back up if you smoke that.. regularly(i dont see why someone would need to).  eh, the heat cant be too good either- lungs are best left alone but weed is potentially harmless if used correctly. id rather see cigarettes become illegal also, because they actually kill people and actively damage the body after each use, and are the most addictive of any plant or drug and its easy to get, and does absolutely nothing for the body but worsen its condition woo hoo! but you know...cannabis is illegal, we dont want anyone to develop free thought now do we? we'd much rather have cancer and alcohol, dulls the mind and keeps us nice and quiet (:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:42:57 PM by tooth »

Offline Tweak

«Reply #21: November 28, 2008, 12:06:38 AM»
As for meth, synthetic or not, its still a "drug."  Just because its chemically based, does not mean its in its own catergory when we are talknig about generalized "drugs." 

Thank you for the sweeping generalization.

Marijuana is a plant that grows on this earth in nature. 'Meth' is a synthetic chemical compound that is produced in meth laboratories. It's not comparing apples and oranges.

Not my favourite movie in the world, but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97H4WZML5dI

cannabis is illegal, we dont want anyone to develop free thought now do we? we'd much rather have cancer and alcohol, dulls the mind and keeps us nice and quiet (:

Bingo.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #22: December 06, 2008, 09:36:29 PM»
A lot of people here have my opinion on this but I'll drop in my two cents as well. Lemme state for the record that I've never tried weed and at the moment I have no interest in it.

I think marijuana should be legalized. Its side effects are mild when it's used in a careful and responsible manner--like alcohol. ANY substance can be abused, legal or illegal. Alcohol, weed, cigarettes, porn, food, nutmeg, etc. They can all cause dependencies and physical problems. If it gets legalized, like others said, they'll be able to tax it, and control the quality as well. Weed you buy off a stranger could be laced with anything. Also, lots of kids in my area got into weed I think because it was part of the counterculture--it's illegal and therefore cool! Or something. That's not a big part of it, but still, if it gets legalized some of that might get stamped down. So I think that legalizing it would be smart in the long run. It seems to be working fine in the countries it's legal in.

Or I could be wrong. Who knows, maybe everyone would get totally spaced and nothing would ever get done! xP