turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: pricing for this dream please  (Read 1711 times)

Offline coo

pricing for this dream please
«: November 30, 2008, 06:02:03 PM»
so i made myself an apartment dream. from scratch. all the walls, items, floors, ds, etc. all of it. i worked hard and kept in on a zipdrive, working on it at other peoples' houses and whatnot, and it's finally done.
to chill in, to have, to invite friends to, and for the satisfaction to my deep desire to live in one like this.
buut. i don't know if i really need it.
i MAY sell it, or i MAY NOT. i just want to know what i should sell it for (or a starting bid and autobuy, or something) in case i do.
there are only four rooms as it is an apartment.
the screenshots are jpeggified for antitheft. (it's kind of distorted some of it but you get the general idea.)
if you see this uploaded under anyone but jones, zoombini, or emcee, please tell me.

most are resized- click to view!

all those green lamps on tables turn on and off.

livingroom:

bedroom:

the sinks in the kitchen and bathroom drip.

kitchen:

bathroom:

Offline Th0mart

Re: pricing for this dream please
«Reply #1: December 01, 2008, 01:28:55 AM»
SP: 40

AB: 100

Offline Morgan

«Reply #2: December 01, 2008, 02:29:22 AM»
would say 20 at most because it's such an amazingly tiny dream.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #3: December 01, 2008, 03:34:37 AM»
I'd start it at 30 and see where it goes.

Morgan, it's a tiny dream, but Jones said all the patches are custom too.

Offline Th0mart

«Reply #4: December 01, 2008, 03:58:45 AM»
Please do not settle for 20 dollars.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #5: December 01, 2008, 04:18:34 PM»
I would personally not be inclined to go above 20 dollars myself.

; The dream is very small
; Although custom made, there are very few items present and a lot are duplicated in the rooms

It's a lovely dream, but 40-100 dollars for this is incredibly steep in my opinion. There's a lot of detail involved in it, but the size has a heavy impact on it. If there were twice as many unique items (aka not the same tables and chairs in every room) and more rooms would be added in design, I feel such a price would be justified more.

Offline Th0mart

«Reply #6: December 01, 2008, 05:27:59 PM»
True Starri. But people pay 20 dollars for a port. I gurauntee you this dream took 2-10 times as long to make as it did to make a port.

Offline Safiye

«Reply #7: December 01, 2008, 06:34:04 PM»
I'll guarantee you that COULD have taken as long as a port, depending on which artist you are comparing to. ;)

I have found that no matter how good you make your items, most people are far more unwilling to spend money on patches than on ports. I have rarely if ever seen custom patches go for fair prices -- if we are calculating fair by the amount of time the artist spent on it.

The dream is very cute, but indeed, gives the impression of being sparse. The super dark color scheme enhances that feeling as well. Because of the way that makes you feel, I wonder if the items wouldn't go for more alone? Or if you put together an image containing just the items, no rooms, to put the focus on the detail of the items, not just how much empty space there appears to be, and showed that alongside of your screenies? Marketing, baby!

Offline coo

«Reply #8: December 01, 2008, 09:27:32 PM»
ty everyone!
for the sake of information, the dream took about a year, maybe a year and a half from start to finish.

Offline Sync

«Reply #9: December 01, 2008, 09:31:00 PM»
i agree with starri.

if there were more custom items + just bigger i'd consider paying higher.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #10: December 02, 2008, 01:56:30 AM»
I say sell higher. Size isn't an issue if they get the patches to use in their own dreams.

Offline coo

«Reply #11: December 02, 2008, 11:19:54 PM»
While it's a nice dream it does have some graphical technical problems that make it look just a little bit jarring. Unless the dream included patch editing permission, I wouldn't pay more than 10 dollars for it.

orrrrr you could just tell me what they are.. ?
rofl

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #12: December 03, 2008, 09:13:45 AM»
While it's a nice dream it does have some graphical technical problems that make it look just a little bit jarring. Unless the dream included patch editing permission, I wouldn't pay more than 10 dollars for it.

orrrrr you could just tell me what they are.. ?
rofl

I think what she means is that some items don't look right because of proportions and the perspective they are put in (i.e. if you would view the bathroom at that angle irl, the toilet would be hovering slightly in the air compared to the cabinet). However, I personally feel that is more of a nitpick than an actual concern, because until this was pointed out it didn't even occur to or bother me. I haven't found a single dream yet where this issue doesn't occur at some point or another, so I don't see the problem in it. It's about as default as the Furcadia patches to have happen.

As Safiye said, if you sold the patches alone, people may feel more inclined to pay for them. Patches alone are more attractive to people because it triggers their creativity, i.e. they have to use the items to create something themselves, rather than having a ready-to-go dream to upload. Doing this may draw people who are more serious about creating a permanent dream, since they tend to have money to spare/are more willing to spend money for good patches.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:15:40 AM by Starri »

Offline Morgan

«Reply #13: December 03, 2008, 11:20:21 AM»
also, knowing youlanda, she'll be griping about the fact that nothing has shadows.

Offline coo

«Reply #14: December 03, 2008, 04:38:24 PM»
@starri
understandable, i am/was/are/shit probably going to offer that as an option now- hadn't thought of selling just the items until it was mentioned

do you have something besides the toilet though? because i put that back there because toilets are stuck to walls and don't come out very far. xD

@morgan
oh god shadows are such a pain on checkerboard floors i didn't even bother ROFL
i thought about it until i decided i'd rather have no shadows at all than those hideous checkerboard non-translucent black ones that are most peoples' (including me, lol) only real option

Offline Zim

«Reply #15: December 04, 2008, 05:40:56 PM»
also, knowing youlanda, she'll be griping about the fact that nothing has shadows.

Uncalled for.

She didn't give critique because he didn't ask for any. There's no need to be rude and disrespectful.

Offline Th0mart

«Reply #16: December 06, 2008, 02:45:38 AM»
Even though you may be technically right.

I disagree that the toilet is floating in the air. Browsing dreams is a subconscious art. Only in consciousness does it float. I prefer the way it is now, because my brain in "relax" mode thinks the toilet is just not as long as the cabinet.

But that is just my opinion, and I am left-handed so I probably view it differently anyways. :)

P.S - Shadows really do add great spice to a patch. But personally I never add them, I am into patching for the fun - and adding shadows would take too long, when I could be moving onto another work. :)

Offline coo

«Reply #17: December 09, 2008, 02:27:46 PM»
thanks for all the input. :)
atm i'm contemplating trying to sell it (and whether to do so as a dream, patch, or both) because i'm slightly strapped for cash, but i'm still not sure. :\

anything