turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: critiques, redlines and general ripping apart wanted  (Read 2375 times)

Offline gaga

critiques, redlines and general ripping apart wanted
«: December 02, 2008, 03:52:57 AM»
Thanks to all who helped with my feral piece, it turned out nicely.
Now, I'm back after god knows how long and I've yet again decided to post something to get help on.
click me please
I tried something slightly different, and I'm generally happy with this so far, but a lot still feels off to me.
I despise drawing feet, so much and I know the legs are like WHOA HELLO HOW TO BEND!??!!
and theres probably a lot else that looks off, and I wish to fix it up!
So again I would like the following:

I'd like critiques, redlines and whatever you think will help me improve this piece!
But anything else that the FAZ community has to add, I welcome.
I don't care if you're harsh about it, I can take it. I prefer hard, harsh, honest critique over sugarcoated asspats.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:27:21 PM by rikki »

Offline tooth

Re: Pricing + Critiques?
«Reply #1: December 12, 2008, 04:36:23 PM»
i envy the amount of detail you put into your ports, i love the first one ahha! i dont have any critique because i disagree with its purpose but you have a good style and you will only get better, play around 5-10 gds or whatever and see what fits best. i like them (:

Offline gaga

«Reply #2: May 01, 2009, 04:53:33 PM»
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

/omg.

EDIT AFTER 120 DAYS.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #3: May 01, 2009, 05:39:32 PM»
The first one screams messy shading in the hair, to me...while it seems like it should be more sleek. Specifically, on the left side next to her neck, the shading's really confusing. Overall, it seems like the darkest shades aren't placed very...carefully. I'd zoom in on it and show you what I mean, but I'm not on my own computer right now.
The one with Pez's lines looks extremely pillow-shaded to me, especially concerning the hoodie. That and, next to the washed-out skin and hair, it just looks odd. No noticeable light source judging by the hoodie.

You've got a decent start, of course, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

IPGD

«Reply #4: May 02, 2009, 02:42:00 AM»
Basically, what Youlie said. You should also read my signature; this is most relevant to what you're asking for, but you will benefit from reading everything else I have on there as well. The proper execution of light and shadow also requires an understanding of anatomy and 3D form, which you do not have. You're polishing a turd.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #5: May 02, 2009, 09:42:12 AM»
I don't understand why you are posting critique shaded in black. If you have to hide it, don't post it. We all love to rip artists a new asshole every now and then, but the gallery forum is not the place to do it no matter how helpful you assume that critique may be.

Obey the requests of the OP or sit on your hands if you can't.

IPGD

«Reply #6: May 02, 2009, 10:31:28 AM»
I don't understand why you are posting critique shaded in black. If you have to hide it, don't post it. We all love to rip artists a new asshole every now and then, but the gallery forum is not the place to do it no matter how helpful you assume that critique may be.

Obey the requests of the OP or sit on your hands if you can't.
This has nothing to do with "ripping artists a new asshole". I give critique. Critique is not supposed to be sugared and overly nice. I do not want to have this conversation again; you can read any of the countless shitstorm threads I have participated in the past that have broached this subject if you want to know my opinion on the matter. If you truly must rehash this yet again, PM me.

The reason why I am now using spoiler tags is because there are two kinds of people who come here to request critique: people who actually want critique, and people who say they want critique, but expect ass patting. I have absolutely no way of telling what a poster is until they actually respond to my critique. With spoiler tags, I can give group A the full experience, spare group B from having their pride hurt, and spare the rest of us from useless shitstorms. Everybody wins!!

Edit: Also pretty useful for people who ask for pricing but don't explicitly state whether they do or do not want an explanation for those prices.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:44:43 AM by Matter »

Offline Hugo

«Reply #7: May 02, 2009, 11:27:51 AM»
It's kind of a given if someone says 'So... No Critiques on the lines, just my shading.' that you shouldn't be discussing the lines. I value your critique since you clearly have an advanced grasp on your type of work, but regardless of your beliefs, we should be listening to the OP.

IPGD

«Reply #8: May 02, 2009, 11:37:51 AM»
It's kind of a given if someone says 'So... No Critiques on the lines, just my shading.' that you shouldn't be discussing the lines. I value your critique since you clearly have an advanced grasp on your type of work, but regardless of your beliefs, we should be listening to the OP.
An understanding of form is pretty much the basis of shading. No matter how good your technical ability becomes, if you don't understand the topography of the area you are shading, it will look wrong.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #9: May 02, 2009, 02:20:36 PM»
When I give technical info and people don't want it they often baaaaaaaaaaaw about me 'nitpicking'. I'd rather avoid having to summon the whaambulance to come coddle someone's bruised artistic ego.
Couldn't you avoid that by, you know, not posting it? I know you're trying to help but there's even a sticky telling people not to critique unless it's wanted.

Offline gaga

«Reply #10: May 02, 2009, 02:40:18 PM»
I appreciate the words of advice, I'll look into fixing these things with my current and future works.
Please refrain from commenting on the lines, obviously I lined a sketch made for myself, I just follow the lines from there
http://i42.tinypic.com/dcefpu.jpg
and up close
http://i43.tinypic.com/1zbz03d.jpg

And youlanda, the species of the character was never mentioned, so to clear up your peeve and or confusion,
shes not a cat lol.
And I'll try that out,

i'll work with my own sketches and lines next time, though my anatomy is still not top-notch, i'll seek to improve that in time aswell
and i'll take a look into the helpful links you have located in your sig, Matter.

And, tbh, i dont care if you guys hide or openly make critiques on the things i'm not looking for.
At the moment its not what I want, but its good to look back on the things that desperately need to be worked on
.. if that makes any sense.

Offline gaga

Re: Critiques for a Feral bust?
«Reply #11: September 17, 2009, 12:50:58 AM»
UPDATED WITH A DIFFERENT SUBJECT YAY.

Offline alexandra

Re: Critiques for a Feral bust?
«Reply #12: October 08, 2009, 04:33:20 PM»
i tried not to embellish the picture with my style, because whomever had redlined the original picture had done it completely wrong and the eyes were stylized and unnatural :)

i dont know if you were going for a wolf or a fox (or other)
here are some refs: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=wolf&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=1&q=fox+red&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

canine eyes are circular, not rectangular and large and don't eat up most of the face. you may want to try and make your picture more fluid (like practicing with gestrual lines instead of reffing right off the picture, it makes a lot of areas look stiff and unnatural)

the eyes were far too much down the face for that pose so hopefully this shows that i'm talking about!

http://i34.tinypic.com/2zflkyg.png

i also tried to help with the arrangement of teeth, but unless they're being overlapped by the tongue they are much larger!

Offline gaga

Re: critiques, redlines and general ripping apart wanted
«Reply #13: February 19, 2010, 01:20:22 AM»
thanks for the help on the feral, now i've got a new subject up for all to see :3

Offline Azula

«Reply #14: February 19, 2010, 05:47:45 AM»
ACCESS FORBIDDEN or something @ the pic

Offline gaga

«Reply #15: February 19, 2010, 07:27:48 PM»
how gay of FA to not let me hotlink my own art.

LINK FIXED

anything