turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Strategy to "Preventing" Art scams.  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Sapphirus

Strategy to "Preventing" Art scams.
«: December 04, 2008, 01:18:04 PM»
I hear many of my artistic friends or artists in general getting scammed or tricked out of a “paying commission“. As a common sense thing, I believe every artist should asked for a “pay-half” method before doing someone’s commissions because people can easily scam you by asking:

1:)  “Can you make a Sketch or Lineart of my character to see if you draw him/her right before I pay”?
2:) “I don’t like paying until I get all the artwork first”.
3:) I’m not sure if I wanna commission you, but if you want, you can draw me for free >>?

(Number 3 was weirdly whispered to me one time)

This in most cases is the opportunity for people to get free art from the hard working artists on furcadia. Some can even pretend to “not like” your sketch of them and secretly keep it unless you add nice watermarks to it. Doesn’t go for ports since they’re more secure.

I think the safe way to make sure a person is commissioning you sincerely, they should pay-half for how much their port or CG Commission will Cost. Atleast if they don’t like the piece, you didn’t waste you time doing what you ask of them. We all work hard to do our peices, and I’, sure many of you feel the same way too.

Now, I want to hear opinions concerning this secure method between a commissioner and an artist. And Please, no flames, just civil comments and concerns =)

Offline Dolly

Re: Strategy to "Preventing" Art scams.
«Reply #1: December 04, 2008, 01:30:08 PM»
My remedy to this has always been get paid before working--which admittedly is not the best strategy for a lot of CG and port artists because things can come up that will prevent you from completing the commission and there will be times when the commission has to be canceled and money refunded, which isn't spectacular for your reputation--but so far I have not been scammed or canceled on yet.

What I do is require payment after I have drawn a sketch but before I have actually started working on anything remotely time consuming.  I will send the watermarked sketch to the customer and request payment before any more work is done. Sort of as proof that I am actually working on the port/picture, but not enough work that it takes a huge chunk of time out of my day and I'm stuck with a completed picture that will be hard to sell because it is someone's existing character design.

Doing this is also good because the buyer can view the pose/check the design you've drawn and register any complaints or fixes they'd like there--which is easy to accommodate via a sketch rather than a complete drawing.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #2: December 04, 2008, 01:35:38 PM»
What I do is require payment after I have drawn a sketch but before I have actually started working on anything remotely time consuming.  I will send the watermarked sketch to the customer and request payment before any more work is done. Sort of as proof that I am actually working on the port/picture, but not enough work that it takes a huge chunk of time out of my day and I'm stuck with a completed picture that will be hard to sell because it is someone's existing character design.

Doing this is also good because the buyer can view the pose/check the design you've drawn and register any complaints or fixes they'd like there--which is easy to accommodate via a sketch rather than a complete drawing.

Yes. This is what I do too.

Erde

«Reply #3: December 04, 2008, 01:41:47 PM»
I do the lineart, get payment, and finish after payment's been received. I usually talk to the person too, so they know I'm not scamming them, and vice versa.

Offline Tatiana

«Reply #4: December 04, 2008, 03:36:42 PM»
I hear many of my artistic friends or artists in general getting scammed or tricked out of a “paying commission“. As a common sense thing, I believe every artist should asked for a “pay-half” method before doing someone’s commissions because people can easily scam you by asking:

1:)  “Can you make a Sketch or Lineart of my character to see if you draw him/her right before I pay”?
2:) “I don’t like paying until I get all the artwork first”.
3:) I’m not sure if I wanna commission you, but if you want, you can draw me for free >>?

(Number 3 was weirdly whispered to me one time)

This in most cases is the opportunity for people to get free art from the hard working artists on furcadia. Some can even pretend to “not like” your sketch of them and secretly keep it unless you add nice watermarks to it. Doesn’t go for ports since they’re more secure.

I think the safe way to make sure a person is commissioning you sincerely, they should pay-half for how much their port or CG Commission will Cost. Atleast if they don’t like the piece, you didn’t waste you time doing what you ask of them. We all work hard to do our peices, and I’, sure many of you feel the same way too.

Now, I want to hear opinions concerning this secure method between a commissioner and an artist. And Please, no flames, just civil comments and concerns =)

You bring up some good points, but I honestly couldn't "half-pay" something. I've seen many artists just lose inspiration and just let commissioners wait for months without even saying anything to them. I know artwork takes time, but 3+ months is quite a bit of time(unless you were in the hospital or something severe like that). Even if you half pay, the artist could still be scammed, as well as the commissioner. The artist could be scammed because the person could take half-paid work, but the commissioner can get screwed, because if the artist never shows the commissioner any water-marked sketches or lineart and just completes a full portrait, and the commissioner doesn't like it, the artist can slightly tweak it and sell it as a premade, even if you had an original character. I don't think you can prevent scams, only enhance the probability of one not happening.

Offline Zim

«Reply #5: December 04, 2008, 05:06:45 PM»
I generally take payment after the picture is finished, only because I occasionally forget I have to do art for someone, and don't want to receive money for something I haven't done. I only show them a heavily-watermarked image first, though, and hand over the picture after payment is received. If they don't pay, they don't get the picture and I re-sell it, or just say "look at this nice piece of practice."

Even when showing a concept sketch, I watermark it. I also keep multiple progress files in case the commissioner doesn't cough up, or cancels their order from the digo market, or something of that nature. I've also started keeping screencaps of whispers and pms to prove that the commission did take place. With a lot of the things happening with art nowadays, you can't be too careful. Plus, the progress files are useful in case the art piece is jacked by someone who didn't commission it. :P It's win-win.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #6: December 04, 2008, 05:44:27 PM»
In some cases where I feel less secure (like when I'm accepting a commission from someone I don't know, or something) I ask for payment up front. These are rare cases. Like, one time I was being commissioned for a dream for a friend of mine. I trust him, but he had to pay via check, so a lot of things could have gone wrong. I asked him to pay up front and it was all fine. One or two people have commissioned me and then not paid, so now I'm careful about how I handle things. In the vast majority of cases, though, I'll do sketches and once the commissioner is happy with it, they pay. (The sketches are always heavily watermarked, but still easy to see.)

Offline Jenni

«Reply #7: December 04, 2008, 06:08:54 PM»
honestly i've done the most unsecure things with commissioners (ie: giving art before it's paid for, not watermarking anything) and i haven't been scammed. not YET maybe but w/e. maybe im lucky. ;)

Offline Mala

«Reply #8: December 04, 2008, 06:48:12 PM»
idk when i get commissioned i let them pay me whenever (before, when showed sketch, after) and i don't really care. i take a long time on my ports/cgs and i don't like having been paid for something i haven't done (yet) and keeping people waiting.

i don't watermark my linearts, or the final thing before showing it to the commissioner, so they can see any small mistakes or something. i haven't been scammed before, and i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline Gineviève

«Reply #9: December 04, 2008, 07:01:10 PM»
That's all well and good, but I've been scammed before by an artist.

Her name was Christiannainan or something.
I gave her what I wanted, then the space, and then she popped.
She showed up a month later with a cheap-knockoff of what I
wanted, and then went pyscho on me.

Now when I comission someone, I do a fake trade to show them
I have what they want, see at least a simple sketch that's blurred
a little or something, and then pay.

I'm sure the majority of you artists out there are on the level,
but I don't have an unlimited amount of money/stuff to get
cheated out of. :/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:05:06 PM by Nirvanic »

Offline Hugo

«Reply #10: December 05, 2008, 12:44:33 PM»
I use a combination of watermarks and word of mouth. I research any and all commissioners as I work. usually I can smell a rat from a mile away, but luckily I've only had one or two people dine and ditch on me.

Offline Gineviève

«Reply #11: December 05, 2008, 04:22:35 PM»
Her name was Chriastiann, and here's her DA, if anyone might
know a more recent name I could contact her on: here

Now I'm just wondering whose art she showed me way back when it this happened.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #12: December 05, 2008, 04:49:56 PM»
That's all well and good, but I've been scammed before by an artist.

Her name was Christiannainan or something.
I gave her what I wanted, then the space, and then she popped.
She showed up a month later with a cheap-knockoff of what I
wanted, and then went pyscho on me.

Now when I comission someone, I do a fake trade to show them
I have what they want, see at least a simple sketch that's blurred
a little or something, and then pay.

I'm sure the majority of you artists out there are on the level,
but I don't have an unlimited amount of money/stuff to get
cheated out of. :/

Ohyes, I know her. She's known to be rude and arrogant on so many levels.

Her new alt is Telford

Offline Gineviève

«Reply #13: December 05, 2008, 04:52:11 PM»
Thank you very much. :]

*edit

Are you completely sure that's her, Sap?
I'm getting the "this alt was given to me
over AIM" story. But the attitude and foul
language sounds about right.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:08:44 PM by Nirvanic »

Offline Dolly

«Reply #14: December 05, 2008, 05:08:15 PM»
Her name was Chriastiann, and here's her DA, if anyone might
know a more recent name I could contact her on: here

Now I'm just wondering whose art she showed me way back when it this happened.

If it was that big of a deal, and she really did scam you, I'd make a post on art alerts about it.

Offline Gineviève

«Reply #15: December 05, 2008, 05:09:29 PM»
Yeah. I'm about to do that now.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #16: December 05, 2008, 05:15:49 PM»
Here's another tip; trust your gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right, just don't do it.

It really helps.

Offline Glory

«Reply #17: December 07, 2008, 02:24:00 AM»
honestly i've done the most unsecure things with commissioners (ie: giving art before it's paid for, not watermarking anything) and i haven't been scammed. not YET maybe but w/e. maybe im lucky. ;)
Same way for me.

Closest to 'scammed' I've ever been, is this time I had finished a portrait.
I showed it to them and they were happy, I go out to dinner, get back, and by that time... they had drawn their own and changed minds.
(S)he was sweet though. I ended up shading the portrait they drew for free after. And just tried to resale the one I made... and it actually hasn't sold yet. I should make it a freebie by now. >>;

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #18: December 08, 2008, 01:57:30 PM»
Thank you very much. :]

*edit

Are you completely sure that's her, Sap?
I'm getting the "this alt was given to me
over AIM" story. But the attitude and foul
language sounds about right.

Ohyes, don't let her fool you. She even does this whole bitchy process when someone tries to be nice to her, she gives you:

"Why are you trying to be friends with me because I don't plan on being friends with you" type of bullshitty attitude.

anything