turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Policy form!  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Heimdall

Policy form!
«: December 06, 2008, 08:22:52 PM»
Hey everyone! :3 There's been a bit of a stink on the forums about some refund issues. I think that these issues could all be prevented in the future if artists state their refund policies clearly. Not just refund policies, either--also stuff about timeliness, showing previews, etc. So I wrote this form that all commissionable artists can put somewhere and link their commissioners to. I think that the majority of transactions are fine without this, but for the few that cause drama, it's nice to have these policies in writing!

Feel free to discuss and offer suggestions for more things I can put on the form! But remember, we're not actually discussing the policies themselves. For example, person A thinks that artists should never give refunds because they still do the work even if the commissioner is unhappy, and person B thinks that you should give full refunds because you shouldn't sell sub-par work. If person A and person B want to debate that please open a new topic. This is just a thread of questions to ask yourself about your own policies! c:

The things in (parentheses) are examples of how you might answer that question. They're obviously not the only answers. XP

Here we go!

Will I ever offer refunds to unhappy commissioners?
- When? (Whenever the commissioner is unhappy, period? Only after showing the first preview of the unfinished work? After the second, third?)
- Under what circumstances? (Only if they're not a jerk about it?)

Will you offer to make changes to the piece if the commissioner asks?
- When? (Only in the sketching phase? Any time at all?)
- How much are you willing to change? (A whole new sketch/piece? Only a couple small tweaks?)

Will I finish and resell the work?

Will I show previews of the unfinished work?
- When? (After each major phase? After every minor tweak?)
- How many? (Only one? Over nine thousand?)

What kinds of alternative payment will I accept, if the commissioner doesn't have what I want?
- When will I allow this? (Only if I really like the subject matter of the commission? Never?)

Will I ever decline commissions from individuals even if my commissions are currently open?
- Why? (Dislike the subject matter? Don't trust the commissioner?)

What will I do if my commissioner disappears and they haven't paid? (Wait for three months then resell the work? Hold tight until they show up again?)

What will I do if there's an emergency and I can't finish the commission in a timely manner? (Refund half and keep half for the effort? Ask them if they mind waiting? Refund them in full and maybe finish+resell the work later?)

When will I accept payment from the commissioner? (After everything is finished? After I show one preview? Before I begin? Half before I start and half when I'm finished? Half in the middle and half at the end?)

Will I watermark the art?
- On which pieces? (Only on previews? On all images?)
- What size? (Large and obvious to prevent theft before the commissioner has paid? Small and unobtrusive on the final piece, like a signature?)

Will I post the finished work in my gallery?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:30:38 PM by VORPALMUSE »

Offline Hugo

Re: Policy form!
«Reply #1: December 06, 2008, 08:25:53 PM»
I'd been thinking this for a long while but decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

If people would outline their requests and rules (like I do in my thread) we could avoid SO much drama.  Each commissioner should also be asked if they read the rules to prevent mishaps.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #2: December 06, 2008, 08:31:01 PM»
Thanks Hugo! I added a few more thar at the end.

Offline Glory

«Reply #3: December 07, 2008, 02:27:04 AM»
I've been actually working on one of these lately myself!
This is really helpful, gave me a good few ideas of what to add or reminded me to actually finish my policy form...

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #4: December 07, 2008, 03:14:21 AM»
Yay! If you have anything on your form that isn't on this one, feel free to post it! :D

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #5: December 07, 2008, 11:10:27 AM»
This was really helpful. Thanks for posting it.  :)

Offline Th0mart

«Reply #6: December 07, 2008, 06:29:07 PM»
Really helpful! Great post. :) Maybe a pin is in order?

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #7: May 31, 2009, 01:13:06 PM»
Am I allowed to bump this? I'm still looking for more things to add!

anything