turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Lol first port :P (And help to find background plz?)  (Read 973 times)

Offline Davis

Lol first port :P (And help to find background plz?)
«: February 10, 2008, 12:26:19 PM»
This is prety much the first port I've done (I've done some before but I have never really finished.)

This one is finished other then the fact that it needs a background.

(Does anyone have a City like background they would be willing to lemme use? Cause I don't know how to make one. ><)

So I would like some CONSTRUCTIVE crits. Don't be like LOL UR ART SUCKS GET A JOB! But ways to improve would be nice. (Espically shading tips. :P)

Suitengus Port:

(Click for the full sized image please.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 12:27:52 PM by Davis »
:o IDK WAHT TO PUT HURR D:

Offline Wizard

Re: Lol first port :P (And help to find background plz?)
«Reply #1: February 10, 2008, 12:53:18 PM»
Oh, I like it a lot! Not bad for a first at all. However, yeah, the shading is a little on the flat side. Try adding some texture, and try not to keep the shading restricted to such small areas. Using darker shades, for example, you can detail the hair so it looks more like numerous strands rather than just one large piece, or scribble a little on the fur on the collar with short strokes to make it look more... well, furry. Also, try to add a little depth to it; where's the light comin' from? Do your highlights where the light would hit the character, and do shadows where the light wouldn't be as strong. It takes practice, but you'll get there, and you're pretty good already as it is!

Offline Davis

«Reply #2: February 10, 2008, 01:11:08 PM»
Hee hee a lot of people tell me about the light thing. :P I try even drawing a pretend light source but I'm not the best artist so I always fuck up shading the most regardless of what I do.

Thanks for the shading tips though, thats my main area of "Wow I REALLY have to work on that." D:

Offline Sanne

«Reply #3: February 10, 2008, 06:02:34 PM»
Hey, look at it like this: It's a nice start. All good artists started at this level. Just practice and let people help you. x3 <333333
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Offline Lord

«Reply #4: February 11, 2008, 08:37:23 PM»
aah! this is very nice for a first portrait. ed pretty much covered the whole shading bit. i do have two things to add, however.

try and clean up the lines. it makes the furry 'juts' look a bit more... jutty..er o_o

also, try having the hair flow a bit more. notice how it goes: Straight down.. straight down... curve!      Have it look a tad lighter in the weight sense of the word ;3

Offline Davis

«Reply #5: February 12, 2008, 12:53:04 AM»
Thats one of the bits I have trouble with the lines. D: I'm not very good at making them flow this is the first one I did where the lines weren't like WAY to thick or ROTFLOL I R A SHITTY LINE ><

With the shading, I'm not really sure how to make it look better, I notice people have an  interesting way to shade but when I try and do it it looks like crud D: (Thats why I chose to do a port where it didn't really need to be shaded to heavily cause the Anime has an interesting flat shading to it.) Anyone know of any Tutorials or have any tips. I don't mean to steal your style but shading is my "super suck" factor. ><

Cause I see the suggestions I don't really understand them though. ^^;; I r not a srs artist I must admit. :P (and this art on the computer thing I only started doing that like a couple of months ago.) So I have a long way to go before people will like my art :P

Offline Sanne

«Reply #6: February 12, 2008, 10:05:26 AM»
Even if you don't understand crits, the best way to go is to try different kind of things, go with what you feel most comfortable with and exploit your style. :) Practice is the keyword to it all. Remember that every artist drew like a 3 year old, and all the good ones had to practice lots and draw almost daily to get better. What helps is asking for redlines from artists who are more experienced than you. They'll draw with a red line over your image to 'fix' anatomy flaws. Or, you can ask a good port artist to shade your port so you can compare your port to theirs and see what techniques they use. It helps!

Don't force yourself though, draw whenever you feel like it. The best pieces are those that convey your ideas and feelings - you don't need excellent shading or anatomy in order to make good art. Just use diversity and try new things if you feel like it. I can guarantee you, if you draw regularly (once or twice a week at least), one year from now you'll look back at this thread or the port and notice a huge improvement. :D

(And, as a side bit of advice, it's good if you try to draw different shaped faces. Your art will look much better if you can give every character unique attributes in the face and body. Give one person a big nose and another a small one - just naming a silly example. <3 But it gets the point across.)

And hey, I LIKE your art LOTS. D< Just because it's not as good as artist x out there doesn't mean people don't like it. <3
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

anything