turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Close  (Read 1860 times)

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
Close
«: February 10, 2008, 07:00:10 PM»
Close Please
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:37:08 PM by Jacki~ »

Sesruc

• Topic Author
Re: Price my work?
«Reply #1: February 10, 2008, 09:07:23 PM»
3 GD.

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: February 10, 2008, 09:11:46 PM»
3 GD.

Is that for port art AND for traditional, or just port art?

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #3: February 10, 2008, 09:21:27 PM»
both. P:

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #4: February 10, 2008, 09:55:23 PM»

Offline Sanne

«Reply #5: February 10, 2008, 10:07:32 PM»
I'd pay for 2-3GD for the ports, because I've seen more advanced portraits selling for the same price.

For traditional probably about 5GD a piece.

The reasons for this are pretty simple. Your portraits' shading is very minimalistic. You're shading flatly, meaning you're shading a character without taking it's 3 dimensional form in regards. The second and third ports for example have a moon in the background - if the light comes from behind them, they shouldn't have a lot of highlights on the front. You know how when you stare at a lamp, and someone steps in front of them? How that person looks with all that light in the back? The same goes for the moon and the wolf. :)

As for the traditional media, all your ferals look the same. They all have the same anatomy, all are similar poses.. Without markings you wouldn't be able to determine what character it is you're looking at. One character has a big and long muzzle, another has a short and more delicate muzzle. Depending on the breed, the shape of the skull is different, the length of the legs differs, the tail differs... But yours are all the same looking, pretty much.

See, I as a buyer would like my artwork to look like my character. Not have my character drawn to look like all the others you drew.

I'm not trying to be mean here, just giving my honest opinion. You've a -LOT- of potential to get far with your art. (I dare say I drew similar to what you draw a few years ago) You need more practice before you can really start charging 5-10 for ports or 10-15 for traditional artwork.

Your anatomy is fine for most parts. You just need to learn how to make characters look unique without desperately needing markings or accessories - once you can manage that, people will be much more willing to put down a few extra bucks for your art. :) I'm sure of it.
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #6: February 11, 2008, 12:30:17 PM»
I'd pay for 2-3GD for the ports, because I've seen more advanced portraits selling for the same price.

For traditional probably about 5GD a piece.

The reasons for this are pretty simple. Your portraits' shading is very minimalistic. You're shading flatly, meaning you're shading a character without taking it's 3 dimensional form in regards. The second and third ports for example have a moon in the background - if the light comes from behind them, they shouldn't have a lot of highlights on the front. You know how when you stare at a lamp, and someone steps in front of them? How that person looks with all that light in the back? The same goes for the moon and the wolf. :)

As for the traditional media, all your ferals look the same. They all have the same anatomy, all are similar poses.. Without markings you wouldn't be able to determine what character it is you're looking at. One character has a big and long muzzle, another has a short and more delicate muzzle. Depending on the breed, the shape of the skull is different, the length of the legs differs, the tail differs... But yours are all the same looking, pretty much.

See, I as a buyer would like my artwork to look like my character. Not have my character drawn to look like all the others you drew.

I'm not trying to be mean here, just giving my honest opinion. You've a -LOT- of potential to get far with your art. (I dare say I drew similar to what you draw a few years ago) You need more practice before you can really start charging 5-10 for ports or 10-15 for traditional artwork.

Your anatomy is fine for most parts. You just need to learn how to make characters look unique without desperately needing markings or accessories - once you can manage that, people will be much more willing to put down a few extra bucks for your art. :) I'm sure of it.

I said i didnt want crit. This is actually my style, just because i draw things to look the same, doesnt give anyone the right to go after me for it, cause its exactly my style. If i was to give you a picture of two wolves, and say give me a difference besides the markings/fur, it'd be very hard to. And Also, its not just because they have the same poses, because i'm still learning, i cant pull off a wolf twisted in the middle of the air grabbing something, i'm not that advanced yet. And you guys tore down the work i'm most proud of just because you dont like the fact that my style is different and that most of my work looks the same. In my eyes, i'm proud of my work, and i DONT need or want crit. I specifically asked for none. I dont want any. And about the portraits. I just started like, a month ago, give me a freaking break. I dont do shading on my traditional, so its hard for me to just go and do it on my ports when i'm terrible at digital crap.

Everyone's style is different. I know when to make differences when it comes to commissions. But for gift art or my work of ferals, theyre gonna look the same, because of the fact, that in real life, the animals themself look the same without the markings.

I asked for just the price, and my friends irl said about 10$ and i've been paid before with 30$. So saying 5 GD is making me feel like i ripped them off even though theyre the one who set the price AFTER they seen the work. It might not be the work you like, but dont degrade it because you dont like the style.

Offline Sanne

«Reply #7: February 11, 2008, 01:35:58 PM»
Calm down your horses please. I'm sorry, I didn't see the no crits part because it was at the end of the post. I just saw you asking for a price and I saw examples. And because you're overcharging I tried to explain why I wouldn't pay you more.

I did NOT try to insult you or put you down. I just tried to explain to you why. There's a huge difference.

This isn't about style, but about art experience. As I said in my post, I would personally not commission you or pay 10 bucks for the drawing because I wouldn't want my character to look like the 10 other characters you drew. My characters have unique attributes in size and weight, and when I commission someone I want them to be able to reflect this. That's my opinion and my reason for mentioning the price so low.

As I said before as well, not all animals look the same without markings. What about a terrier and a German shepherd? Do they look the same? I hope not.

If you are still learning how to draw, first learn to take criticism. You'll need to get better because you can't see the errors in drawings others can. It's a fact. It doesn't mean people tell you your art sucks when they crit, but they try to help you see the things you don't see yourself. If you want to get better you need to know what's wrong first.

You asked for a price suggestion - if all you wanted was for people to agree with you and even overprice your work then you shouldn't have asked. Just because one person paid you 30 bucks for your artwork doesn't mean it's worth that much in other people's eyes. It's a blunt statement, but there are artist who are more advanced than you are who charge as much as I suggested in my post.

If you can't handle that simple fact then perhaps you aren't ready to ask money for your art yet. I know it's not fun to hear that your art isn't as ready yet as you'd like it to be. It sucks, it hurts, it makes you angry. I know first-hand. But it's a necessary piece of information to get a thicker hide. If you want to get serious about art, getting better and making it sell-worthy then you need to learn that critiques are necessary.

But again, I stand to my first suggestion. 2-3GD for ports and 5GD for traditional. If that offends you or makes you feel bad you shouldn't ask for pricing suggestions.
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Offline Glory

«Reply #8: February 11, 2008, 02:04:57 PM»
FYI, Theres a difference between 'Style' and 'Anatomy flaws'. You can still have a developed style without scarign off any potential commissioners because your drawings look as they have no unique aspects to them. You should always accept critism as its the basis of improvement, and plus it doesnt mean you have to listen to it (i often disregard crit i get, but will always listen to advice for improvement).

I wouldnt personaly pay for the portrait like that, even if it was cheap. The shading is flat and has no clear source of lighting. Plus the lineart on some of your portrait pieces tend not to flow and have a 'staircase pixel' look to them. Maybe try cleaning the lineart, the way it 'flows', and give em some texture via shading. I'll leave the traditional criting to others, since i really dont specialize in them.

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
Re: Close
«Reply #9: February 11, 2008, 02:57:48 PM»
Close this. I dont want anyone else looking at what i guess other call shitty artwork. Its not worth it. I'm a freaking beginner at port art. I'm improving on my traditional art. Its not the anatomy issues. Its just my style on how i draw the figures. Just close this freaking thread. I'll just deal with the commissioners i actually have that appreciate my art. And dont complain cause they know there are people out there who are sooo much better and dont know when to shut up when talking to someone who just wants a price range simply, not degradation.

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #10: February 11, 2008, 04:02:52 PM»
oi, no one said your art was shitty. ):

Offline Sync

«Reply #11: February 11, 2008, 07:57:42 PM»
yah

you probably got one of the nicest crits ever in my opinion lol.

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #12: February 11, 2008, 08:15:55 PM»
yah

are you being sarcastic? D:

Offline Mala

«Reply #13: February 11, 2008, 08:16:49 PM»
there are no such things as nice crits

that'd be just sugarcoating everything.

>:(

Offline Sync

«Reply #14: February 11, 2008, 08:23:39 PM»
yah

are you being sarcastic? D:
nono

my first statement was agreeing with your statement

the second one was towards jacki cause she got a pretty decent-without-being-extremely-blunt crit lol.

EDIT;: JACKI whoops. tired last night lol
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 09:04:05 AM by Sana »

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #15: February 11, 2008, 08:26:14 PM»
ohwow.
now that makes sense.
i was sittin' there like.. wtf m8.

Offline Sanne

«Reply #16: February 12, 2008, 10:00:16 AM»
My last bit of advice: if you can't handle the truth, don't ask for it. :/

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #17: February 12, 2008, 03:25:38 PM»
My last bit of advice: if you can't handle the truth, don't ask for it. :/

I can handle the truth, its just, it seems you guys have something against me because your more talented artists. You dont know how many hours and days i put into a piece of work, or maybe its because you dont like how its drawn. When i actually do get commissioned, the people are always telling me how much they love my style. I work harder on commissions/gift art than on personal art. And to me, honestly, if one cant say something nice, just say that there could be simple improvements and not go on on where things could be fixed. Because i am WELL aware of where my mistakes are. I do fix them. I am successfully getting paid at 10$ and 5$ for ports and traditional. Atleast the people who do commission me think my art is worth it, and not a rip off.

And everyday, i've been improving more and more. Looking at the artists i look up to and learning new things. Who cares if the traditional is flat? Who really cares? Its the meaning and the artist's outlook on the picture. Who cares for the quality? It should be if the artist is enjoying themselves, thats all that matters last time i checked. And because i am getting commissions where the people are saying i should charge more, with you guys saying much less, it kinda ticks me off. I'm sorry for my aggression earlier.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:28:02 PM by Jacki~ »

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #18: February 12, 2008, 04:28:51 PM»
i really hate to sound outright cold or anything but..
honestly, in this world there are going to be people who love your style and people who don't. and if you can't really get over that fact, then best you not do art.

and quality does matter. a commissioner usually pays someone for quality. no one, i say, will pay for crap (whether or not the artist thinks it's a masterpiece or not).

Offline Sanne

«Reply #19: February 12, 2008, 04:31:06 PM»
No, see. That's what I mean. We're not hating on your art, we're trying to help you improve. -.- You're not reading any of the comments made at all, you're just assuming they're nasty and evil because you can't handle someone telling you what's wrong or what could be worked on.

Yes, I know very VERY well how much effort you put into your art. I used to draw at the same level you did, thank you very much. I used to be ten times worse than how you draw right now. I know everything about what you're going through right now because I've been there. And the only reason I'm doing this is because I know without it I wouldn't have learned to accept that critique is not a bad thing at all when given right. And hey, if someone decides to be nasty? Then I just shrug and ignore them.

I've given you pointers on what you can work on. NOT ONCE DID I SAY YOUR ART SUCKED, WAS UGLY OR UTTER SHIT. So don't presume that's what I think of your art. People can love your art all they like, and pay you however much you want. But the moment you post on this board asking for price suggestions you are putting yourself at risk of getting hurt or offended. You have to accept that. There will be people who'll pay you 50 bucks for art. But there will also be people who wouldn't pay you a penny for it. That's how things are, and when you post threads like these you're going to feel both ends.

I care your traditional art is flat and repetitive. I bothered to come to this thread and judge the value of your artwork. I told you why I wouldn't commission you and that's my personal opinion. If people like me are your target group, such opinions are vital to which direction you should go in with you art. I mean, if you don't want people like me with high standards (in terms of wanting my characters to look unique) to buy your art you don't follow my advice, but you'll keep it in mind anyhow should you wish to change target group.

The meaning and outlook aren't enough if you want to sell art though. Quality is important if you want to make a few bucks out of it. I enjoy myself drawing every time, but I give myself goals to achieve. I'll enjoy drawing it, BUT I may not end up satisfied with the end result. So I try to find out what's wrong and practice. It's called developing your talent.

You have the gift to draw. People'd kill to draw like you I'm sure. All I'm saying is exploit your talent, make it grow, make use of it by listening to the helpful advice of others. I understand that you don't like hearing it's not as good as you want it to be. That it hurts when someone says you can work on your art when others praise you into heaven. But you can do so much more if you'll just put your hurt aside and try to see what other people mean and not try to throw it out the window.

Again, not once did I mean to offend you. I am trying to help. The only reason I got as good as I am is because I let other people help me, give their opinions. I let people give me tutorials, redline my works, give me tips. That's how I learned to improve.

And hey, I've felt that people undercharged my work too. But when that happens, instead of getting all upset and aggressive about it, just shrug it off. In the end you decide how much you're charging and if they won't buy it, their loss.

I'm sorry too, I honestly didn't see the no-crit part. Otherwise I'd have never said a thing - but what's said is said, and it's up to you right now to decide whether you'll consider my words and see if perhaps you can improve by listening to them, or you can just choose to shrug them off and not bother with it. Just try to keep your cool even if you don't like it - things are easier to judge and accept when you're calm and collected. :)

Offline Sanne

«Reply #20: February 12, 2008, 04:37:33 PM»
Ahaha, wow, that was a big post. >.<;

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #21: February 14, 2008, 06:39:15 AM»
OK back. I'm so sorry about my aggression earlier though. I apologize. I will take up on the advice you've given me, but i was rash to assume right away. [ eh, my arm is hurting, no long post for me ><]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:25:30 PM by Jacki~ »

anything