turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Which is worse: theft of a character's design, or their personality/backstory?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Lassa

This will mostly apply to roleplayers, since I realize not everyone really decides on a background story for their character. Some people only use their characters for drawing pictures of, which is perfectly fine. c:

Anyways.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I'm really curious as to what other people think. I, personally, would actually find it worse to find someone with a character with the exact same or very similar personality/backstory than if a character of mine's design was ripped. I've put insane amounts of time figuring out the tiniest details of my characters personalities and their stories, making sure everything makes sense and there are no holes or things left vague or unexplained if some aspect of my character's history ever comes into play. I spend time making my characters more than just "she is usually happy but gets upset easily" or "he is very angry and hates everyone and likes to be alone", because real people are never that simple.

Of course, I wouldn't be happy if my character's design was copied either, but for the majority of my roleplaying characters, I could change plenty of things about how they look and they'd still be the same person. Like a person getting plastic surgery, it doesn't affect their personality. If a character's design was really unique, of course I would be upset if someone copied it, but from looking through my characters I've found that the ones with really complex, specific or showy designs generally are the ones that i don't use for roleplay. Heh.

Your opinions?

Offline Azula

well, the way i see it, the character's design encompasses areas such as appearance, their personality/back story, orientation, if they smoke/don't smoke and what types of cigarettes, if they drink/if they don't drink, what accessories they possess, etc. so even someone rips someone's character's personality or back story, they're stealing the character's overall design.

Offline Eevee

I feel they're both equally just as bad. To me, the design is part of the character's background history, such as maybe a scar or tattoo received as acceptance into a clan or something, etc.

As I design my characters, I think up their history, so design and background information personally goes hand in hand. However neither can be 100% original since there's probably someone who's never even met me/saw my stuff that either has a very similar story, or a very similar character design.

Now I feel offended when someone I know shows strong interested in either the story or the design of a character and days/weeks later they pop out a character who "coincidentally" seems similar to mine, which has happened and I've seen it happen to friends.

Offline Anarchy

I tend to put my heart into my character's histories and personalities, so for me, in a way, it would be worse to have their story copied. I spend a long time thinking and perfecting their stories until they are just right, but I think that it is alot less blatant for someone to have a similar story than to have a similar character. Because think about it, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe = The Ressurection of Christ. I mean alot of stories are going to be similar in alot of ways. Umm... think of the Lion King. Dad dies at the hand of a family member looking to inherit while eliminating the true heir. True heir returns... takes what was rightfully his. I have heard craptons of stories like that, and they are usually in crime dramas lmao.

Anyways, I think they are both shitty in their own ways. I would be more emotionally upset if I found someone had replicated a story of mine, but I would be more angry and outwardly pissed off if someone copied my characters design.

Offline Hugo

They're both horrible because you need an appearance and a backstory to make a complete character. My backstories are extremely in-depth down to explanations for facial twitches and the reasoning behind a character's sexual orientation or taste in friends and lovers.

Offline Tonks

i notice personality tends to have an effect on the actual appearance of a real person, so in the rare case i draw my characters, i'll include that.

lines on the face, bags under the eyes, general grooming type of things, scars, wounds, all of it can link back to personality. same goes for clothes, obviously.

as well as personality, appearance obviously has to do with history.

realistically, you look like your mother and your father. that's your base.
if you were in the army you probably have a scar or something.
if you smoke/have smoked your teeth are probably not perfectly white.
if you had kids your vag probably isn't what it used to be and you probably have some extra fat hanging around.
if you're foreign you probably have an accent.
if you have an eating disorder you're probably obese or a stick.
if someone special gave you something, you probably still have it and keep it on you.
even where you got your clothes, why you got them, if they have a hole in them, a stain, anything like that, something caused it at some point in time and it's not just suddenly there.

and that all has to do with design/appearance to me.

they're both just as bad i guess, but realistically i don't think you can take one without taking the other.

Offline Adielle

I hate blatant rip-offs of character designs and history.  Whether blatant or just so similar you know they took it from you or based their entire character off of your own.  All it proves is the lack of originalty these days.
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline r i l e y

With OOC characters, they really have no backstory, and the personality is of your own. So being that most all my characters lately are OOC, I find it repulsing when people take character designs. And if someone takes the history of my character, I'd just make a new, even better one. With RP it's more easily replaced than something I'd be personally wearing on each of my characters.. Being I've gone through something similar where a previous fursona design is still currently being used by an unmentionable, it stung each and every time when I tried to use a concept I had on what was my original design previously and I was verbally beaten down shortly after. Personalities vary as much as the people that walk around every day; Once every blue moon you'd bump into someone that's eerily enough just like your best friend. But it's fun to be around them for that very reason. But if you ran into someone who had a design like your best friend down to the same hairstyle, shoes, etc-- Minus that same personality you came to know and love.. I dunno, it would just bother me more, haha.

Offline Sapphirus

I feel they're both equally just as bad. To me, the design is part of the character's background history, such as maybe a scar or tattoo received as acceptance into a clan or something, etc.

As I design my characters, I think up their history, so design and background information personally goes hand in hand. However neither can be 100% original since there's probably someone who's never even met me/saw my stuff that either has a very similar story, or a very similar character design.

Now I feel offended when someone I know shows strong interested in either the story or the design of a character and days/weeks later they pop out a character who "coincidentally" seems similar to mine, which has happened and I've seen it happen to friends.

I know what you mean mynters, I strongly agree <3

Offline Sapphirus

Basically design, because as many say "nothings absolutely original no more". You see a character/s, and realize their character reminds you of another.

Offline Skink

Design theft is more common, easier to accomplish, and pretty damn frustrating for anyone. But a background ripped to a T, that past that makes who the character IS regardless of looks, is worse in my eyes. This raises a story... at one point and time, my friend's character Riggs was going to be having babies with a new mate. They went out searching for role players. ONe of them ended up being an incompetent douche who was playing the child born, raised and covered in bloody wounds while he still should have been a kicking fetus. That was unacceptable. When they told him they didn't like it, he wasn't too happy and didn't change. So they cut him loose. "Fine, you're not one of the pups, we'll find someone else." And he was STILL not happy.

Riggs is a very distinct, unmistakable character with a long role playing history. His looks and personality are all rooted in actual roleplay; almost his entire history was played out instead of made up. The lab that produced Riggs's mutations, a dream, was actually burned down in a later roleplay and never uploaded again after that RP. Since this asshat couldn't be a Riggs pup, he decided to rip the history and said he was made using the same "genes" that warped Riggs in the same lab. Not only impossible on a very LITERAL scale, it was a cheap move. The characters weren't made that way. They got mutated at random on a whim for roleplay fun bits. The fact that he tried to use that as an excuse to run off with Riggs's genealogy pissed us off pretty fuckin' hardcore and it was a shitstorm. Not only was it obvious, it was also impossible by an IC standard, because that lab actually "existed" and he was never created there in RP.

Depending on how distinctive and deep-rooted a character is, either one can be equally as frustrating, and in HUGE ASS AMOUNTS
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:02:41 PM by Paint »

Offline Heimdall

They'd both really suck.

such as maybe a scar or tattoo received as acceptance into a clan or something

^ this. My main character Kain has a ton of scars and items and stuff that are all explained in either old RP sessions or written backstory.

Some aspects of history can be coincidentally close, though, so I really think it depends on the level of complexity. Kain's backstory is twisted and has many specific tales and twists. My other character, Ferrow, has a less developed backstory. If someone else's character had a history similar to Ferrow's, I couldn't bring myself to feel butthurt because it's not really specific.

I think that having your character's history stolen would be especially nasty if the stolen thing was something out of an actual RP. Actual RP feels more solid and real than simply saying "my character trained as a child to use swords" or something. It's not a BAD thing, not at all, it just feels more tangible if you worked/RPed for it. :C

Offline Tish

IDK this thread hasn't been posted on in ages but. I'ma do it anyway.
As a person who used to RP heavily, I had a character in the Redwall dreams that I spent SO MUCH TIME developing. She was probably the most in-depth character I have ever had. She was seriously a part of me, and I found myself being entertained in boring situations by thinking of more interesting things to add to her persona.
And then this dickface comes along and steals EVERYTHING.
Right down to the fucking lyrics I had thrown into my RP desc at the time. (Which btw were to "Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake LOL)
Anyhow, I had created a past for her that was a logical deviation from the original story lines, she was an entertainer and a poisoner, etc etc. She wielded a battle ax idk this girl just took everything about her and threw it onto her shit ass clone. And it had made me very angry. I had been a regular resident of the dream for the longest time, and when confronted about it she denied all claims. It just. It's disappointing to see everything taken away and there's really nothing you can do about it. xP

Offline $kye

LOL girly ill post too!!

i think they both suck and i agree that background and design are part of the same thing. what i hate is when people rip designs/personalities/backgrounds off and like... butcher them completely. they dont understand it cuz they didnt take the time to and just thought it was cool or whatever so it all doesnt go together.

Offline Suzy

Personally, I'd mind the actual design more. There's no real original personalities anyway anyway, you know? I see too many roleplayers who stick to "archetypes".

anything