turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: STYLEBITING  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Jenni

STYLEBITING
«: December 28, 2008, 12:58:22 PM»
what's your opinion on it?

stylebiting to me seems like a form of theft that some people gripe over, and others go 'tough shit!'.

in my opinion, style biting is theft. what's more to an artist than their style? it's what makes them unique, stand out. some people easily dismiss extremely close cases of stylebiting, saying it's just a similarity but nothing more. some people say the person is most likely inspired by the person and therefore wants to draw like them so they mimic the style, but they will adapt their own style soon. then they say YOU SHOULD BE FLATTERED :) MIMICRY IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF FLATTERY. that shit is so annoying. either way i still think it's wrong.

for me, if i am trying to adapt my own style i look at how other people do it, and try to make my own spin on it. if you even see my gallery, the facial features change from picture to picture because i am trying to find the 'right one'. but i don't try to directly rip off one style from one person.

i see this happen a lot among friends, too. i won't name names but i think they do it because they're their friends, so it's ~okay~ when it's really not. if i saw my friend starting to fucking copy me i'd give them a stern talking to because fucking hell, your style is what essentially defines you and if that's taken away, then what the fuck do you have.

i bet some faggot will come in and mention all the disney or cartoon stylebiting. honestly, the best fanart or whatever inspired characters are ones that are done in an artist's own style. the whole tlk fanart site is the biggest dump of wannabe disney bullshit i have ever seen.

ANYWAY, ENOUGH TL;DR RAMBLING ABOUT BULLSHIT: WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?

Offline Azula

Re: STYLEBITING
«Reply #1: December 28, 2008, 01:06:00 PM»
i bet some faggot will come in and mention all the disney or cartoon stylebiting. honestly, the best fanart or whatever inspired characters are ones that are done in an artist's own style. the whole tlk fanart site is the biggest dump of wannabe disney bullshit i have ever seen.

guess i can't use that argument................

stylebiting is just idk... whenever someone pretty much stealing someone else's style, it just shows how uncreative and talentless the person is to a point that they have to rip off someone else.

who gives a fuck if someone stylebiting is your friend? that doesn't mean you have the right to rip them off maaaan.

that's what's great about our lil group we all have our little styles and none of us have to copy each other to get better. the same can't be said with other lil groups that happen to have artists... e___e;

Offline Jenni

«Reply #2: December 28, 2008, 01:16:47 PM»
i completely agree LOL.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #3: December 28, 2008, 01:56:38 PM»
"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." -Pablo Picasso

Offline alexandra

«Reply #4: December 28, 2008, 02:19:17 PM»

pretty much most styles are formed from things the artists have already seen that has been done by another person or maybe a cute little trick they can make by a certain motion of their hand that makes their style such a signature. but also i have to bring realism into this cuz lots of people seem to gawk and crave over realism, would that be considered stylebiting? :( some styles people have are completely realistic, and then again, so are many others. realism looks all the same. i hope i'm not getting too off topic.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #5: December 28, 2008, 04:04:54 PM»

pretty much most styles are formed from things the artists have already seen that has been done by another person or maybe a cute little trick they can make by a certain motion of their hand that makes their style such a signature. but also i have to bring realism into this cuz lots of people seem to gawk and crave over realism, would that be considered stylebiting? :( some styles people have are completely realistic, and then again, so are many others. realism looks all the same. i hope i'm not getting too off topic.

that is the reason i dont find full realism interesting. no style whatsoever. i could just look outside and see the same shit.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #6: December 28, 2008, 09:17:53 PM»
Every artist gains an impression from the art they see, especially if they happen to admire it. We'll all be inspired by other people's works and likely incorporate similar techniques in our future works.

That's natural.

But then you get people who like something so much or want to sell their work so badly that they copy exact poses, exact styles.

That is bullshit.

Offline kt

«Reply #7: December 28, 2008, 10:00:00 PM»

it's pretty simple. people just need to learn how to incorporate new styles into their OWN style and artwork without ripping directly from another artist. artists need to have SOME creativity, at least.

if people would actually do that, everything would be fine. but i don't see that happening anytime soon. :)

Offline Adielle

«Reply #8: December 28, 2008, 10:37:45 PM»
Well, here is my two cents.  Some artists prefer to work on "known" styles that are commonly used by many many artists, such as the typical anime styles (whose names I'm not sure about...bish something and some other random ones?).  Or even say, the western style of art like what you'd see in marvel and DC comics.  Its a place where people start.  As an artist expands they either decide to stay with what they currently know and continue to draw a style thats is used by the masses or they slowly work towards their own individual style.  For many artists, finding a personal style can take a long time.  Some artists may believe they have a personal style, but not all people who claim this actually do (don't mean that in a mean way).  What I mean by this is, unless your style is SO significantly unique that as soon as someone sees it they knows who's art it is, or you can always catch those defining features, you don't have your own style.  I think it is these vastly different individual artists styles that yes, its bad to steal.  Artists who like to create their own style work their asses off to get there.  Its not something that happens overnight. 

For example, my style is no where near as good as it could be, but I know that I'm on the right track to creating my own individual style, but this took me at least two years, possibly more to even come up with and develop and even at this point its not so vastly different that I feel comfortable saying its perfect.  Everyone develops their styles at different rates.  If an artist has a solidified style that is completely their own, stealing is bad.

I suppose this is partly why I am not a big fan of anime, to me, there is very little originality in it.  You can have the best technique and coloring style in the world, but if your just drawing the same old style that everyone else draws, whats there to define you as your own artist?  Say you become popular?  How do people know the difference between your art and every other anime artist out there?  It'd be nice to see more unqiue artists popping up that give you the pleasure of looking at a piece thats truly different.
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #9: December 29, 2008, 01:32:02 PM»
I think it's good for an artist to try new styles, like realism, cartoony, etc. But I'm not completely sure how I feel about stylebiting. I know that you can't copyright a style, but if I saw someone doing art in the same exact style as me or my friends I would probably get a little suspicious and pissed. Like what hugo said, people get impressions from the art around them, and sometimes try to add some of their technique into their own art, which I feel is fine unless it's the exact same thing. I don't think I have a unique style, and I'm trying hard to change it and make it less retarded. So, I like to go onto DA or some place and look at the other artists I love, and try to put some of their styles of drawing into my own.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #10: December 29, 2008, 04:34:49 PM»
"Motivation" is what I get when I see other characters. Usually I lack in my own for a whole uniqe type of character. I've grown a personal liking to "spikey hair" design to my characters.
... But style biting is a totally kisk in the ass and it's anoying.

I get told to change my style completely which I'm not gonna do because i love the style i grew up with already.

The whole "sonic" style is the most noticable too in the most cases of style biting. People think thay're being 100% original but you'll always notice the whole BIG EYES, SMALL BODY, and chibi animal look to it.

Offline Skink

«Reply #11: December 30, 2008, 04:49:49 PM»
Complete rips, unacceptable. Inspiration and adaptation, unavoidable.

Offline Greek

«Reply #12: December 30, 2008, 07:40:02 PM»
  ( i dont know how to word this) copying the style and adding your twist on is ok. Artists started from somewhere and then grow into a different style. That's fine.

But then you get people who like something so much or want to sell their work so badly that they copy exact poses, exact styles.

That is bullshit.

Sesruc

«Reply #13: December 30, 2008, 08:08:18 PM»
annoying, but it's pretty near impossible to prevent it from happening.

if it means getting a pat on the back and told you can draw, people will do it.

Offline happyknot

genre =/= style
«Reply #14: January 31, 2009, 11:54:36 PM»
Style is more than how the artist draws their base line art. It is also about the medium and the technique used. Some common styles in the FineArt world include: cubism, impressionism, abstract, pop art, pointilism, expressionism ect.

People who create art in the same category of style are not necessarily copying each other. Not all art created in the same style looks the same. To help illustrate this I have hand picked a few examples:

Werewolves: realistic - pencil
Yin Yang ~ Goldenwolf
Stonecarver ~ Khaosdog
Werewolf Calander ~ Synnabar

They look similar but there are differences particularly in how each artist chooses to draw fur. There are other differences that are more subtle. Can you spot them? Personal style is sometimes vague like this.

Lets look at anime!

Male: different styles within the Anime GENRE - mixed media
Portrait of Adam ~ Kidchan
Male Pin-up ~ Celesse
Ice Wizard ~ Yu-iceseal
Chibi Demyx ~ Aresa
Ancient Wisdom ~ Neolucky

Hm! They don't all "look the same" like so many people have been saying! Might it be because there are different styles within the anime genre?

Anyway. I hope this has been helpful. It is alright to admire your peers and even look out for them when you find someone copying them directly. However the best place for your focus is in your own art. Keep striving to improve your techniques and skills - personal style develops naturally!
My DA Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don't give up. ~ Anne Lamott

Offline Hugo

«Reply #15: February 01, 2009, 01:41:01 AM»
The reason realism isn't stylebiting is because Nature would have to make an Art Alert thread and complain. There is only one way nature presents a wolf or a flower, but infinite ways cartoonists and anime artist render them.

Offline Adielle

«Reply #16: February 01, 2009, 02:41:20 AM»
The reason realism isn't stylebiting is because Nature would have to make an Art Alert thread and complain. There is only one way nature presents a wolf or a flower, but infinite ways cartoonists and anime artist render them.

I beg to differ.  If you are talking about drawing a flower, or a human you see in front of you, many people draw in a very different way, but some realism is NOT from life, like happyknot's example of werewolves.  While its realism, its not something you'd see in nature, therefore people will still portray it somewhat differently.  So yes, depending on your specific realistic style, it still can be stylebiting.
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline happyknot

«Reply #17: February 01, 2009, 02:48:17 AM»
Examples or demonstrations should be posted that show what "style biting" is.
Hugo: I provided 3 examples of realistically drawn werewolves and while they are each similar in form the three artists draw quite differently. That is an example of personal style. It also illustrates that not all art which relies on realism look the same.

Werewolves do not occur in nature, the artist who uses realism is still using their imagination just as much as a cartoonist or a surrealist. Within nature a multitude of species and subspecies exist of every living life form. To say that there is no variety in realism is incorrect. Finally take in to account technique: one realist might prefer to use oils and a palet knife instead of brushes, one might like chalk pastels or colored pencils. One realist might paint using their fingertips only. These also give their art a unique personal look: that is also a part of style.

If you fail to see that you might also be misunderstanding what style is, or perhaps you are talking about something that is different.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:02:30 AM by happyknot »
My DA Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don't give up. ~ Anne Lamott

Offline Skink

«Reply #18: February 02, 2009, 10:39:18 AM»
blablabla symantics. I think when a thread about stylebiting was posted it should be obvious it was about blatant style copying not vague similarities or vice versa

Offline happyknot

«Reply #19: February 02, 2009, 02:59:26 PM»
That is what I thought also but then I read the responses. People don't seem to understand what this is actually. So it would probably be best to actually have some illustrated examples.

Offline Cormallen

«Reply #20: February 03, 2009, 04:46:36 PM»
We've had that problem with the K-Girl artists back at Twisted Kaiju Theater before. Fortuantly, they were hosted on DeviantArt, and with the right words they get shut down faster than a Naruto-baited bear trap at an anime con.

But the occasional "steal" happens, which is why our community keeps an eye out and warns the big boss kaiju himself for such violations. We love our people, even if a few of them need to go sit in the corner from time to time.
Swords: A greatsword is not a one-handed weapon. A greatsword is not fast. If it is fast, it means it's made of paper mache' and will break upon striking anything.

Randomat twirls two greatswords, one in each hand.
GM: Randomat's hands fall off.

--from the Leirune RP Guide

anything