turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: critiques/redlines, please!!  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Jenni

critiques/redlines, please!!
«: January 02, 2009, 03:11:03 AM»
hello folks i am trying wicked bad to ~improve~.
so look through my gallery and toss me some redlines and critiques at any particular piece. nitpick shit to hell as long as you know what you're doing and aren't too harsh about it. and if there's a common mistake you see in many pieces, PLEASEEE let me know!
more about the anatomy than anything else, okay.

Offline Jenni

Re: critiques/redlines, please!!
«Reply #1: January 03, 2009, 04:29:03 PM»
NICE TO SEE HOW HELPFUL THIS ART COMMUNITY IS
THANKS YOU GREEDY PRICKS

Offline Jade Ravenwing

«Reply #2: January 05, 2009, 07:42:45 PM»
-spazms- hey, i'd help, but i don't know a thing about humanoid anatomy. >>

Offline Jenni

«Reply #3: January 10, 2009, 12:59:29 AM»
 :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Sedde

«Reply #4: January 10, 2009, 12:05:06 PM»
I DON'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG I'M SORRY D':

Offline Jenni

«Reply #5: January 10, 2009, 05:54:29 PM»
NOOOOOOooo #SL

Offline Sync

«Reply #6: January 10, 2009, 05:56:06 PM»
i don't either hdkfd
i only have suggestions on possible making more appealing pieces but that'd be my opinion and not what you're asking for lol.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #7: January 10, 2009, 06:38:47 PM»
i don't care throw them at me #SL

Offline Hollen

«Reply #8: January 11, 2009, 02:39:49 AM»
I'll have some crits to individual pieces in a little bit but here is something that may be a helpful crit as well.

Movement in your art, minus the port of Tooth stretching which is executed beautifully you tend to avoid motion in pieces. This is fine but at the same time it leaves you stuck in a comfort zone, it's hard to express a lot when a character is in a pose almost as if a picture is being taken of it. Perhaps try some more candid/in motion poses. This will open up hair flow, muscle tensing and limbs in motion which are all interesting variables to play around with in art. Your art is distinctive and beautiful but now try to experiment with the foundation that you've built, try drawing characters running, interacting with something even if that something is a blob with eyes. Bringing focus to your characters gestures opens up a depth of emotion in art that can be really fun for the artist themselves.

IPGD

«Reply #9: January 11, 2009, 03:55:52 AM»
I'm going to assume you actually want to improve in general, and that I'm allowed to do anything other than comment on specific pieces:

Your main problem, to put it simply, is that you have begun to stylize your artwork before you have adequately learned the basics. Because it's 3:30 AM and I should be sleeping instead of posting on these forums, I'll just shamelessly recycle some of my copypasta instead of rewriting it to actually fit the thread (just read through it twice and substitute 'animal' in the place of 'human' on the second read through to compensate for the furry anatomy aspect).

You need to stop drawing anime.

This isn't something you have a choice in. If you are truly serious about your artistic improvement, you need to stop drawing anime. You can go back to it later once you've learned the basics, but until you have a firm grasp of anatomy, value/light, perspective, color theory, composition, etc. you are not ready to stylize in *any* capacity. Being an artist is fucking hard, and you cannot cut corners just because you don't want to spend time learning the boring things. Very few people want to actually draw photorealism, but you have to know *how*. Simplifying forms, in a way, is much, much harder than drawing things as they are.

Realism is not a style, but a foundation upon which all other art forms are based. Every truly successful artist learned to draw from life before he stylized his artwork. Even abstraction is grounded in life (albeit further removed than some other forms); an abstract artist still needs to know how to use symbols to connote feelings and represent complex forms. He has to know what a real person looks like to be able to create a symbol which registers as "human" to the viewer. He has to know how colors and shapes and their arrangement subtly affect the human mind in order to invoke the desired emotion within the painting. All of these things apply to anime/manga artists as well.

A realistic painter, an abstract artist and a mangaka (I feel gay saying this but I don't want to repeat "___ artist" again) all draw the same thing: the human form. Each artist does so in a different manner, but fundamentally, they are representing the same exact thing. Each of these artists learn, or at least should learn, how to draw the human form in the same way -- they start with what they see, and only after that has been mastered do they move onto exaggerating and altering the anatomy and form in favor of something more aethestically pleasing or appropriate for the piece's mood and context. You cannot start drawing things stylized to begin with, or your learnings are fundamentally flawed from the beginning; instead of consciously stylizing things in a way to make them more appealing, you end up languishing in ignorance, further and further distorting the form until it's so far gone it's not even recognizably human -- you're stylizing something that is already a stylization. It just doesn't work. You have to have that foundation, something you can return to in order to understand what makes something human and what makes something not look human, or you will be completely blind to your errors.

Tracing the footsteps of an artist you admire is always more productive than blindly copying his final works. And I will reiterate, yet again, what exactly every single successful artist in history has done: he learned from life. He drew what he saw, he studied anatomy, he carefully watched how light behaved, and he supplemented his observations with textbook knowledge that was not drawn by 13 year old girls on DevianTART. Yes, even anime/manga artists. Amuria and Ramy are not people you should aspire to.

Picture related. It's by Pablo Picasso, one of the most famous abstract artists of all time. Even he knew how to make a realistic painting; it was his solid foundation in the basics of art that made his subsequent foray into the abstract arts so successful.

I would recommend starting with the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". You should be able to find a download on [somewhere on the internet]. It's essentially the introductory book to learning to drawn; it teaches you how to draw what you see, and this is the second most fundamental skill to drawing next to possessing a set of eyes. Until you learn how to draw what you see (and subsequently get away from the brain's tendency to simplify everything into symbols), you will have very little success with any other lesson or tutorial.

As far as anatomy books go, get "Anatomy for the Artist"; every artist should have this book. In a more instructional vein, Andrew Loomis's books are a good starter. Google his name and you can find all of his books for free download; "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" is his most notable, though the rest are worth reading. He gives good tips for proportion -- how body parts relate to one another and how to remember them. Just remember that his proportions are obviously a guideline, not a rigid set of rules -- you should learn how to draw the default, but relatively small deviations from it are always acceptable and necessary for staying away from sameface-samebody syndrome. You can try Bridgman and Hogarth's books as well, the latter of which I wouldn't recommend until you are more familiar with a more standard figure.

"The Structure of Man" is a series video tutorials on the human body. While highly critized for good reason (terrible quality video, repetitive, unrehearsed, etc), it can be helpful if you like a more formulaic method of approaching the human body. It's not worth paying money for, but if you can grab a torrent of it on piratebay, give it a try.

"Perspective Made Easy" is a very good book on linear perspective. As it title so aptly implies, it explains perspective in an easy to understand manner. You should be able to find this for free on the internet on Google, as well.

http://www.posemaniacs.com/ is fucking great for pose inspiration. Check out both the random pose viewer and the 30 second drawings; this website can serve as a ghetto gesture drawing source if you can't get a real life drawing class (which I highly, highly recommend you look into).

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm is relatively helpful, especially with rendering light and edges. How light falls on form is extremely hard to explain in words; you will need to rely more on your own observations in this area than any other.

http://shii.org/2ch/art.html has a bunch of other random tutorials, though the list is old and has some broken links.

Also, life drawing classes etc.

If you've gotten through those two posts without wanting to throttle me for telling you something you didn't want to hear, go to http://www.conceptart.org/. Although the ability of its members is brick-shittingly intimidating, you can go in posting at any skill level and get some really quality critique. I don't personally post there because I'm a nervous pussy, but I really should (I go to a different, anonymous critique board, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it since it's pretty useless and and troll-filled now).

... if you didn't make it through without wanting to throttle me for telling you something you didn't want to hear, uh...

duhrr hurr *asspat* u so god girl ++favfav god why i still awake

Offline Jenni

«Reply #10: January 11, 2009, 11:10:17 AM»
I THANK YOU SO MUCH IPGD. SO MUCH.
even if it was some copypasta it was ~super~ helpful.
and, i love CA but i can never imagine posting there. especially my (lol) furry art.. but i look there for resources and inspiration.

& ty hollen also!!

Sesruc

«Reply #11: January 11, 2009, 02:10:12 PM»
Quote from: IGPD
"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"

reallyyyyy good book to start with! helped a lot on drawing what's actually there and not what you think it is. i just regret not having purchased it rather than just borrowing it from the library so i could have more time with the book.

recommended~

Offline Rae

«Reply #12: January 16, 2009, 05:26:42 PM»
you suck ass and you should never draw canines ok.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #13: January 16, 2009, 05:34:03 PM»
LOL okay rachel, someone's a bit butthurt. there's a difference between bashing and harsh criticism, learn to distinguish.  :~(

Offline Zim

«Reply #14: January 16, 2009, 05:37:38 PM»
you suck ass and you should never draw canines ok.

If you can't post constructive criticism, don't post at all. This was uncalled for and childish. This is your only warning.

Offline Rae

«Reply #15: January 17, 2009, 03:09:18 PM»
LOL okay rachel, someone's a bit butthurt. there's a difference between bashing and harsh criticism, learn to distinguish.  :~(

oh is there? lol my bad I thought everyone could just say OH UR ART SUCKS ASS and the mods said thats okay, Turquoise apparently said so.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #16: January 17, 2009, 03:10:56 PM»

oh is there? lol my bad I thought everyone could just say OH UR ART SUCKS ASS and the mods said thats okay, Turquoise apparently said so.

You've got blinders on. It's as simple as that. Come back when you aren't in denial anymore.

Offline Rae

«Reply #17: January 17, 2009, 03:12:02 PM»

You've got blinders on. It's as simple as that. Come back when you aren't in denial anymore.
So it's totally fine for you to sit there and not criticise but literally bash me, and yet I cannot put my two cents in about anyoen else's work? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Offline Rae

«Reply #18: January 17, 2009, 03:13:26 PM»
sorry dwy but it's unfair whether it's TRUE or not, whether my art's not good or not, It's not fair to sit there and say HEY YOUR ART SUCKS ASS and have the mods say nope thats fine they can say that, yet have people get all upset when I say the exact same thing to someone else. Thats prejudice.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #19: January 17, 2009, 04:06:29 PM»
BAWWWWWW IM RACHEL I TAKE THINGS WAY TOO SERIOUSLY BAWWWWWWWW

gtfo my thread

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #20: January 17, 2009, 04:08:45 PM»
ilu jenni

Offline Jenni

«Reply #21: January 17, 2009, 04:09:28 PM»
ilu2 kati ;)

IPGD

«Reply #22: January 17, 2009, 04:16:44 PM»
sorry dwy but it's unfair whether it's TRUE or not, whether my art's not good or not, It's not fair to sit there and say HEY YOUR ART SUCKS ASS and have the mods say nope thats fine they can say that, yet have people get all upset when I say the exact same thing to someone else. Thats prejudice.
Here's the difference between what I said and what you said:

<500 words of helpful advice>
"You suck. Ass."
<Another 1700 words of helpful advice, including a thorough explanation as to why the previous sentence is actually also helpful advice>

vs.

<demonstration of a complete lack of reading comprehension>
<hissy fit>
"u suk"
<more whining>

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #23: January 17, 2009, 06:28:33 PM»
Everything you draw sucks. I should ban you Jenni. >:(

Offline Dolly

«Reply #24: January 17, 2009, 06:30:50 PM»