turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Critique, Red line, whatever? :P  (Read 731 times)

Offline Suzy

Critique, Red line, whatever? :P
«: January 08, 2009, 10:32:20 PM»
http://uzikyo.deviantart.com/art/Contest-WIP-108411875

So I'm only going to show you the WIP because it's the only part of the piece I did that I want critiqued. I know what kind of mistakes I made when coloring, so.. XD;

Anyway, this was the first time in a while doing male anatomy, so.. how'd I do? XD

Offline Sedde

Re: Critique, Red line, whatever? :P
«Reply #1: January 08, 2009, 11:51:55 PM»
I commented on the deviation itself. :3 May redline.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #2: January 10, 2009, 02:09:53 PM»
I commented on the deviation itself. :3 May redline.

Thank youuuuu <3

IPGD

«Reply #3: January 11, 2009, 05:59:06 PM»
Copypasta that I have a feeling will be an obligatory component of every critique post I make here.

You aren't drawing what you see -- you're drawing what you think you see. Breaking the brain's tendency to simplify forms into symbols is something you need to learn to do before anything else. Only after you've truly learned how to draw from observation will you be able to cohesively understand the underlying mechanics of what you are drawing and consequently be able to draw upon those observations when you draw without reference.

Before you draw anything, no matter how boring or simple you want the piece to be, you should do some thumbnails to block out the pose and composition beforehand. Thumbnailing and silhouetting go hand in hand -- if your composition and the action in your pose are not clear at the smallest possible resolution, they won't be clear in your final piece either. While it may seem rather pointless, it actually helps a lot; instead of trying to fine tune the pose after you're half way done with the line art, you'll have it all worked out before you even begin.

On a specific note...

You demonstrate very little knowledge of muscles and their purpose: his pecs are deformed and seemingly disconnected from the rest of the body. He has no trapezius whatsoever. It seems like you tried to define the muscles on the side of his ribcage, but because of how thin you made it, it looks like the bone of the ribs themselves; he looks strange and emaciated. His neck is completely broken off of his spine and the muscles attach to nothing. It's clear you know the collarbone exists, but you don't know what it actually looks like it does. He only has four abs, and his hip bones are way too high (they're too high in my redline too, but whatever. And the elbows are too low... fuck, this is a terrible redline). His shoulders appear to be completely popped out of their sockets, and the muscles of the arm aren't actually drawn; you put random bulges in places you think they should be. The pose is lifeless and rigid. All I can tell you is to study anatomy; my book/website recommendations can be found in the copypasta linked at the beginning of this post.

To address your technique, it seems like you've just started on drawing the figure in lines instead of building off of a wireframe of geometric shapes. This is a bad habit you should break; very experienced artists can get away without doing this, but you aren't quite there yet. Most of the time I sketch in the ribcage, pelvis and head (you can see the construction of the ribcage in my redline if you look hard enough) and block out the rest of the limbs with shapes to represent the muscles. At this point you would probably benefit from drawing out the actual anatomically correct bones of the skeleton; I still do this sometimes.

LOOMIS LIFE DRAWING RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Offline Sedde

«Reply #4: January 11, 2009, 06:09:00 PM»
Mine sucked go with that one ^^^