turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Price, TIA  (Read 1047 times)

Offline gone

Price, TIA
«: January 13, 2009, 08:30:19 PM»
yeah I did commissions some time last year or something then quit but I got a paypal account and now I'd like to take paypal payments along with my previously accepted GD payments

so here's the example of different levels of character art, I know it's the same drawing but I don't feel like digging out more and it's pretty accurate for what you'd get

I'd be happy to make anything port-sized non remaps, although I won't sell them just like that, port resizing would prob be free of charge

sorry, I tried to have a clickable thumbnail buuuut it doesn't want to do it

sketch sample

linearted sample

colored example w/ colored lines, black lines also available

any help with PRICES would be awesome, I'd like to get this off the ground soon

Offline gone

Re: Price, TIA
«Reply #1: January 14, 2009, 03:03:25 PM»
all examples in my gallery now, what do you guys think I should charge?

Offline Magma

«Reply #2: January 14, 2009, 03:13:50 PM»
You already know what I think. xD

sketch sample - $5

linearted sample - $10

colored example w/ colored lines, black lines also available - $15

Offline gone

«Reply #3: January 14, 2009, 03:31:55 PM»
you are so generouuuus though. I don't know if most people would want to spend $15. but if i end up using that price set, i'll offer flat color + black lines for like $7 or something.

Offline Magma

«Reply #4: January 14, 2009, 03:37:57 PM»
Well, I think your stuff is hella cute. <3

IPGD

«Reply #5: January 14, 2009, 04:33:31 PM»
Depends largely on how flexible you are and what you include in the image, not just the methods used to produce it. Can you do anything but stylized front-facing women cut off at wrist? (I've only been able to see two examples from you, but they both have almost the same exact type of pose, body type and face.) If not, I'd probably not go further than 3-5GD for a full colored piece; if you can demonstrate a wider range of expressions, poses and character types, that figure might increase. From what I've been able to see so far, though, there's not much that tells me I could trust in your ability to really capture and bring life to my requests. It looks more like you're the kind of artist that gets lost in her own vision and style than a good illustrator.

Show us more, but shake it up a little. Your experiments, even if they might not be as polished as something you produce from your comfort zone, can in themselves be greater pieces just because of the greater comparative dynamism. Draw some full bodied figures with different poses, and for the love of god, different body types and faces. Don't fall victim to sameface syndrome.

Offline gone

«Reply #6: January 14, 2009, 04:48:50 PM»
thanks for the constructive crits. I've seen you post in some other threads and your advice is usually v. helpful. I'm actually going to look into getting that book you keep talking about. I'm going to take what you said to heart and work on it, but right now I don't offer really dynamic poses. really, a few weeks ago I couldn't draw a bust at all. I'm still working on how to get that down right before I move on to actually drawing the body as a whole. generally I don't sell full body pieces to people, when I do draw those it's for my own practice until I get that down. now, I'm not going to whine about what you said, because I know it's true haha. the truth is though, most of the characters I get asked to draw have the same body type and face. I haven't ever been requested to draw a crooked-nosed, flat-lipped, strong-jawed male, so that's not in my examples. i do draw males, so don't worry about that. let's see. i'd be perfectly willing to accept a request for a different pose, but only if the commissioner understands that it will probably take me quite a bit longer time. I'm still experimenting with most of what I do, and I always feel bad about sending out something I think is less than my best.

now, if this sounds bitchy, please pardon me. it's hard to get what I'm saying out in typing sometimes: but it takes me a good while to color the piece in the first place, so if someone offered me 3-5 GD for it, I wouldn't really want to do it unless it was a really interesting character design. and not interesting as in bows and ribbons and zippers and huge-ass ears and five eyes all over the place and scene hair and goth clothes.

I will be drawing more soon, and with full bodies, having someone redline it for me so I can see what I'm doing wrong. but that's not exactly the point of this thread, which is to see what people would pay for what I'm offering right now, and you've told me what you think - thank you, by the way.

I have to agree with you though. it is rather boring and uninteresting, but still, if I get a commission with just a port reference and they say "draw this", I'm probably not going to shake it up. if they request something different though, I'll be happy to experiment and just give them the results. not a lot of people are willing to accept something that looks experimental, though.

thank you for your feedback, again, sorry if I sounded like a whiny little bitch. I do appreciate the advice.

IPGD

«Reply #7: January 14, 2009, 05:23:23 PM»
You're not being bitchy at all. Believe me, you haven't seen bitchy until you try to critique people on DevianTART :p

I'm actually going to look into getting that book you keep talking about.
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain? I can get you .pdf links to most of the others I've previously mentioned as well, if you'd like. Just ask.

the truth is though, most of the characters I get asked to draw have the same body type and face. I haven't ever been requested to draw a crooked-nosed, flat-lipped, strong-jawed male, so that's not in my examples.
The differences don't have to be so extreme. No two characters should ever have a face that's completely alike. You should really practice with different types of face shapes, eyes, noses, mouths, etc, even if you're not explicitly asked to. It's surprising how much you can screw with a face and still have it look attractive/aesthetically pleasing. As it is now you're basically just projecting your one idea of the ideal face onto every character you draw, while you should really have many.

now, if this sounds bitchy, please pardon me. it's hard to get what I'm saying out in typing sometimes: but it takes me a good while to color the piece in the first place, so if someone offered me 3-5 GD for it, I wouldn't really want to do it unless it was a really interesting character design. and not interesting as in bows and ribbons and zippers and huge-ass ears and five eyes all over the place and scene hair and goth clothes.
I understand what you mean, but people aren't really going to want to buy your pieces if they're priced beyond your skill level (though god knows I have much higher standards than most people). Regardless of how much you're paid, though, doing commissions has a much bigger impact on your skill and improvement than you'd think. You're forced to draw characters and use colors you'd never normally use; it's amazingly good practice. Even if it won't pay your rent, or even if you have to do it for free, you should always be open to drawing for other people. If it keeps you out of your comfort zone, you should do it.

I have to agree with you though. it is rather boring and uninteresting, but still, if I get a commission with just a port reference and they say "draw this", I'm probably not going to shake it up. if they request something different though, I'll be happy to experiment and just give them the results. not a lot of people are willing to accept something that looks experimental, though.
You'd really be surprised. Like I said before, something that's more dynamic is usually a much better piece than the boring stuff, even if it's less polished. And let's be honest, people rarely commission others below their own artistic skill level. Unless you've literally never drawn anything else besides [repeated comfort zone subject] (or your commissioner is both an art snob and really bad, sort of like what I am), your commissioner is unlikely to even notice the skill disparity. I mean, it doesn't even have to be an extreme change; draw them with folded arms, crossed legs, a turned head, whatever. Just do something you wouldn't normally do. Don't be afraid to use references, either.

thank you for your feedback, again, sorry if I sounded like a whiny little bitch. I do appreciate the advice.
It's no problem. I'm always glad for an opportunity to sound as pretentious as possible.

Offline gone

«Reply #8: January 14, 2009, 05:41:42 PM»
ahah thank you. I was looking for that but I could only find Portuguese and well... also, I can only imagine how bitchy people get on DA. huge dramabombs waiting there, eh?

but yeah, as for your suggestions on different faces: I usually do. I don't know why those two looked so similar, but the face really is my favorite thing to experiment with and I love doing outlandish expressions as well as just differently shaped eyes or noses. (I don't like to draw big lips all the time either, but eh, you gotta do what you gotta do for the commissioner) you are definitely right that I should just go for it and do what I want with the piece. I'm usually worried that the commissioner will get mad at me for doing something weird. it always helps for me to have more than just a reference or a port. I gotta know the personality to really do what I want to do with the piece. one thing that I love to draw is one thing that I have never seen requested and wouldn't dare draw on a commission unless asked is bloody noses, broken/missing teeth and black eyes, swollen/bloody lips and etc. buuut that's just an aside note.

so you've convinced me so far that I should really try to mix it up, unless the commissioner SPECIFICALLY asks for me to try to keep it the way my examples were. looking at those two examples, they are very similar in terms of face and body type, so you're right (of course). mostly I should let go of my other hangup - I always want to do commissions the day I get them and feel guilty if I don't. I WILL get rid of that, and start spending more time on it, taking breaks and coming back to the piece later. when I do that I can always see what I don't like about it and what I should change.

and prices? yeah, you've really made me reconsider those. :P I really have no HOLY SHIT GOTTA GET MONEY AND LOTS OF IT need, so I'm going to price them more reasonably when I do open commissions especially if it's just going to be the same old shit drawing.

I've been on a "got to improve" warpath lately, and looking for good stock photos to reference for poses. I've seen so many art alerts threads that I've realized that I feel bad about using stock, but I gotta get over that too. referencing is not tracing, and nobody's going to get pissed off at me for referencing. the thing is finding the stock, now. (god I hate art thieves/tracers/"heavily eyeballed so that it's practically a trace" referencers)

I've done commissions for a while, mostly not here though, and it really is a learning experience. sometimes it's a bit jarring to realize that what I want to draw and what they want me to draw is a big difference, because sometimes they DO think what I want to do is too weird/stupid/etc.

so again, thank you! and any excuse to sound pretentious is a good excuse.

IPGD

«Reply #9: January 14, 2009, 06:10:39 PM»
Not much else for me to say, but...

I've been on a "got to improve" warpath lately, and looking for good stock photos to reference for poses. I've seen so many art alerts threads that I've realized that I feel bad about using stock, but I gotta get over that too. referencing is not tracing, and nobody's going to get pissed off at me for referencing. the thing is finding the stock, now. (god I hate art thieves/tracers/"heavily eyeballed so that it's practically a trace" referencers)
http://fineart.sk/
http://www.jupiterimages.com/
http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/home/home.aspx
... are the ones I usually use. I'd have more to give, but my computer melted and I lost the links to most of the others. http://shii.org/2ch/art.html has some more stuff, but some links are broken.

I think some of those are not free, but I doubt it's illegal to loosely reference the pose from a screenshot of shitty quality stock. Also, get a digital camera if you haven't already. I think I've taken more pictures of my hands with mine than anything else.

Anyhow, good luck with your stuff.

Offline gone

«Reply #10: January 14, 2009, 07:49:56 PM»
thanks so much. haha yeah some of those are ones you have to pay for... and jesus christ the prices are enormous. my jaw dropped.