turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tear it apart!  (Read 941 times)

Offline Jade Ravenwing

Tear it apart!
«: January 16, 2009, 07:30:53 PM»
Right. So I want people to look at my gallery, and tear my art apart. (not literally mind you) xD

I want to improve, and am willing to listen to the harshest criticism out there, though I guess I am my worst critic in ways. Don't like it when people say my art is wonderful and perfect all the time. >< Makes my art feel cheap. Soooooo! Have at it!

Offline Jade Ravenwing

Re: Tear it apart!
«Reply #1: January 17, 2009, 01:34:52 AM»
What? No crits? My art can't be perfect.

Offline Rae

«Reply #2: January 17, 2009, 03:11:00 PM»
lol you want crits? hell I dont even want crits anymore, they did tear mine apart, and did a great job of it. And even TURQUOISE thinks it's okay for people to bash me just because I'm me, of course if I were to say the same thing to someone else, it's considering not constructive ::)

Sesruc

«Reply #3: January 17, 2009, 03:42:42 PM»
lol you want crits? hell I dont even want crits anymore, they did tear mine apart, and did a great job of it. And even TURQUOISE thinks it's okay for people to bash me just because I'm me, of course if I were to say the same thing to someone else, it's considering not constructive ::)

keep your drama on your thread, seriously. this is getting out of hand! >.<

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #4: January 17, 2009, 04:02:59 PM»

Omg loling haha wow chill out dude... you asked for critique and you got it. You just couldn't handle it.

To keep this on topic... You seem to have a pretty ok grasp on anatomy, and since I know very little to nothing about real serious 'art' I'll leave that at that, but I will crit your ports. Something that is bothering me is how the characters don't really seem to fit into the bgs for some reason. In some of them the shading on the bg does not match to the placement of your character, and in others I think it is just a matter of presentation. If you put a light colored line highlighting the character it will make it fit better with the bg, or you could do that and a pair black 'bars', on the top and bottom, or even on the sides, to give it a kind of 'movie' feel. I always play around with how I present a character in a bg and see what looks best. Sometimes a plain old character on a bg is fine, but others they need a little bit more 'oomph'. I hope that helped! <3

EDIT: Oh btw if you need some examples or w/e of what I'm talking about feel free to PM me here or IM me on AIM.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:10:30 PM by Anarchy »

Offline Jade Ravenwing

«Reply #5: January 17, 2009, 05:30:55 PM»
-raises an eyebrow at Rae-

I agree with everyone else. I read every post in your thread and yes, you were being immature. If you can't handle crits, then don't ask. Life isn't all golden and happy all the time.

@Anarchy
I'm still trying to work out my backgrounds, just recently started trying to get better at them since i rarely draw backgrounds these days. As for the black bars I might try that. (New! Widescreen ports! xD) At the moment I just kinda... draw a random background... and yea... If it doesn't fit I tweak a few things. -shouldn't do that-

As for the anatomy I usually try to get things accurate. I hate it when I see a pic that's okay everywhere else except for anatomy. Sometimes I see cats with their knees at their heels or something. -shudders- And if I can't find something I usually use my own body, either standing in front of a mirror or having someone take a pic of me. :3

IPGD

«Reply #6: January 17, 2009, 05:53:09 PM»
I really can't say much for the anatomy since I know literally nothing about animals, but I will comment on your rendering.

You do a lot of pillow shading. Pillow shading is where you make everything dark around the edges of a shape and highlight the center instead of actually adhering to a light source. You often times have highlights where your should have shadow and it makes the entire piece look rather plastic and unrealistic. You need to learn how to visualize what you're drawing in 3D space rather than viewing everything in the flat 2D reality of the representation. This is especially difficult to do when working directly with pixels, so I might recommend you practice value painting/drawing; this is where you draw something *entirely* with blended values, no outlines, no cell shading. Like anatomy, it's much easier to simplify things into a more limited form when you understand how it actually works in life.

There are three reasons your backgrounds seem so disconnected from the figures:

1. The backgrounds do not interact with the figure at all. This is especially obvious in the stalking cat portrait, where it's standing on the grass but none of it actually covers its feet. It looks very tacky and pasted on.

2. There are no cast shadows whatsoever. Cast shadows are spaces where light cannot fully reach because it is being obstructed by an object (as opposed to form shadows, which is the value gradation on the actual object that defines its form in space). I am completely perplexed by cast shadows myself, so I honestly can't really give you much advice here. Just try to lay it down as best you can. Even if it doesn't completely match up to the figure realistically, it looks better than if you don't have one at all.

3. The backgrounds and the figures are in completely different perspectives. Basically, the effect that your images give is that you're looking at the background and the figure at two entirely different angles, which looks pretty awkward when they're slapped together in one place. Try to start out a sketch with a defined perspective grid (go look up and download "Perspective Made Easy" for more on what I'm talking about).

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #7: January 17, 2009, 06:20:35 PM»
Turquoise thinks a lot of things. Turquoise is so silly, ne? Continue with the crits pls.

Offline Jade Ravenwing

«Reply #8: January 17, 2009, 06:21:19 PM»
1.) I noticed that on the stalking cat once I had uploaded. I fixed that, and added a shadow on the ground and grass around the feet.

2.) Sometimes I try to add cast shadows, but when it comes to pixel art I'm not sure how I'd do that really. I'll try though.

3.) Like I said before, I'm still working backgrounds, but I'll keep this in mind. :3

anything