turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Looking for help on ports & crits!  (Read 795 times)

Chestnut

• Topic Author
Looking for help on ports & crits!
«: January 20, 2009, 11:55:45 PM»

So I'll admit right away I'm pretty horrible at doing portraits, and am rather embarrest to show anyone my work. I only started about a month ago and really have only been winging things and just hoping they turn out sort of okay. I really need help on a lot of things in making ports, but mostly as you can see shading. I've got no idea how to shade them, I've tried following some tutorials but failed miserably.  :-[
I'll take the harshest critisism out there if only it will help me to get better than what I'm at right now. So either post your own thoughts and advice, or tutorials you think are helpful.. even redline stuff if you think it'll help? Thanks to anyone who attempts to help me out here, much appreciated anyhow.  :D

You can post here or PM me!

Offline Cornelius

Re: Looking for help on ports & crits!
«Reply #1: January 21, 2009, 07:56:30 PM»
Try studying pictures of an animal you're drawing as a port.

In all due words, The Cat looks like it's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOONGGG CAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTT (is very long), Anyway

When cats sit down (unless your port is that it is standing) It's back curves downward, Unlike long cat, Since long cat is long.

For the first port it oddly looks like the eyes of chameleon Which are facing different directions, Also Saber Tooth Mouth looks lopsided and it looks like an endless blackhole. Where's the tongue? anyway as I said for the first use a reference:

(I used a tiger because well; SABER TOOTH TIGER)

For the shading or dithering try these tutorials:

http://mindsend.deviantart.com/art/Pixeled-Pointy-Pelt-Tutorial-24599096
(Need to find the other fur tutorial)

http://pixels.eclectic-blue.com/resources/dither%20tutorial/
(Dither Tutorials; Shows the different styles of dithering)

Man Why am I now missing most of the AWESOME dithering/fur tutorials?

Chestnut

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: January 22, 2009, 01:16:00 AM»
Try studying pictures of an animal you're drawing as a port.

In all due words, The Cat looks like it's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOONGGG CAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTT (is very long), Anyway

When cats sit down (unless your port is that it is standing) It's back curves downward, Unlike long cat, Since long cat is long.

For the first port it oddly looks like the eyes of chameleon Which are facing different directions, Also Saber Tooth Mouth looks lopsided and it looks like an endless blackhole. Where's the tongue? anyway as I said for the first use a reference:

(I used a tiger because well; SABER TOOTH TIGER)

For the shading or dithering try these tutorials:

http://mindsend.deviantart.com/art/Pixeled-Pointy-Pelt-Tutorial-24599096
(Need to find the other fur tutorial)

http://pixels.eclectic-blue.com/resources/dither%20tutorial/
(Dither Tutorials; Shows the different styles of dithering)

Man Why am I now missing most of the AWESOME dithering/fur tutorials?

I knew the wolves eyes were sort of going wonky in different directions, just forgot to fix that. >_< I'm not sure wheather the cat was suppose to be standing or sitting but I do understand what you're saying. :P I was scared to add a tongue to the saber since I knew it would have sucked even with a reference, though I suppose I could have tried.  :-[ Thanks much for the tutorials I'll try practicing a bit now. Also, I do usually whip up google images and search for the animal I am attempting to do, but it doesn't always turn out great. Anyways thanks a lot.  :D

Offline Lassa

«Reply #3: January 22, 2009, 01:27:43 AM»
Before you even try dithering or things like that.

Liiiightsources. You'll be amazed at what a difference they make.