turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: GOOD books  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Jenni

GOOD books
«: January 22, 2009, 08:25:02 PM»
yah yah we all have our own opinion of good books. but i want to hear some of your favorite novels.

my favorite has to be.. HM........... idk.... i have a tendency of thinking whatever book i read is my favorite (except the last two books i read. fucking TERRIBLE ENDINGS).
i thoroughly enjoy most things by jodi picoult though. but realism is a plus and some of her highly unrealistic novels piss me the fuck off.

anyways... no twilight bullshit idec if it is your favorite get that shit outta heah.

Offline Lassa

Re: GOOD books
«Reply #1: January 22, 2009, 08:31:47 PM»
anything in the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. c:

Offline Eevee

«Reply #2: January 22, 2009, 08:36:32 PM»
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series <3

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #3: January 22, 2009, 08:37:43 PM»
I hope they serve beer in hell was the best book I ever read

Offline Azula

«Reply #4: January 22, 2009, 08:49:23 PM»
twilight LMFAO XDDD

no uhmm the things they carried was a pretty good book we read in 11th grade.. and tess of the d'urbervilles was good too.. do you guys not read any of the classics or anything in your classes

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #5: January 22, 2009, 08:55:28 PM»
I like The Hobbit and American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Terry Pratchett is good if you want funny fantasy!

The Things They Carried was strikingly good, yes. I also kinda liked Madame Bovary but it was kind of like reading para RP posts...

Offline Hufflepuff

«Reply #6: January 22, 2009, 09:05:33 PM»
.. Harry Potter. I think you know why.

Offline Booker

«Reply #7: January 22, 2009, 09:23:24 PM»
I PERSONALLY ENJOYED A TALE OF TWO CITIES BY CHARLES DICKENS except not at all

i like the dark tower series by stephen king

Offline pix

«Reply #8: January 22, 2009, 09:30:18 PM»
anything thats by chuck palahniuk- choke and invisible monsters are good.
house of leaves is pretty cool too because of how it's printed but it's just confusing as hell.
and uhhh perks of being a wallflower by stephen chbosky, i guess.
look at all your different colored hats

Offline Jenni

«Reply #9: January 22, 2009, 09:34:08 PM»
oh man i just read diary by him.. the first half i thought was good but i didn't really like the ending.. but i'm thinking of buying some other books by him soon.

Offline chris

«Reply #10: January 22, 2009, 09:38:43 PM»
choke and invisible monsters sucked. fight club, survivor, and haunted are the best. uh, bret easton ellis is a good author, hunter s. thompson is awesome as well especially the rum diary.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:41:37 PM by chris »

Offline Tonks

«Reply #11: January 22, 2009, 09:49:57 PM»
1984 by george orwell is my favorite right now

Offline Sync

«Reply #12: January 22, 2009, 10:06:51 PM»
i really like ishmael byy daniel quinn....

Offline Rat The Unloved

«Reply #13: January 22, 2009, 10:51:41 PM»
Fiction:
The Club Dumas by
Harry Potter series.
LOTR + peripherals.
Lost World/Jurrassic Park by Michael Chriton.

Nonfiction:
Vangelo or Aradia: Gospel of the Witches.
Spiral Dance by Starhawk.
The Witches Bible by J and S Farrar.
(can ya tell I'm pagan?)

Offline Cris

«Reply #14: January 23, 2009, 05:08:26 AM»
Oh my, this book called Off Season, not really sure of who wrote it.  Been awhile since I read it.  But I can remember everything that happens in that book.  It's truely amazing if you love the murder/killing novels.
- Cris Bleeds
PORT CONTEST!

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #15: January 23, 2009, 09:40:54 AM»
House of Leaves is a very interesting book if you can get over the gratuitous sex scenes rotfl. I've always loved the redwall series but I tell you if you're going to start at this point you're fucking insane. I LOVED his dark materials... the Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass. It was a beautiful and amazing and super complex trilogy but very well written and well thought out, plus it gets ur mind goin. Dinotopia books are fun, and Narnia was interesting but I got bored of it after a while. The Prequel (The Magician's Nephew) to the series is very interesting though probably my fav one. I also enjoyed the Zombie Survival Guide very much if you're into that sort of thing.

LOL I USED TO READ ALOT. but I don't anymore.

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #16: January 23, 2009, 02:49:56 PM»
House of Leaves is a very interesting book if you can get over the gratuitous sex scenes rotfl. I've always loved the redwall series but I tell you if you're going to start at this point you're fucking insane. I LOVED his dark materials... the Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass. It was a beautiful and amazing and super complex trilogy but very well written and well thought out, plus it gets ur mind goin. Dinotopia books are fun, and Narnia was interesting but I got bored of it after a while. The Prequel (The Magician's Nephew) to the series is very interesting though probably my fav one. I also enjoyed the Zombie Survival Guide very much if you're into that sort of thing.

LOL I USED TO READ ALOT. but I don't anymore.

The zombie survival guide changed my life  8)

Offline Adielle

«Reply #17: January 26, 2009, 08:28:17 AM»
I definitely second American Gods by Niel Gaiman.

Something from the Nightside by Simon Green (A short science fiction; fast read, but wonderful story telling and characters).

Dark Space and Nylon Angel by Marianne de Pierres (First is more hard science fiction the second cyber punk, both are series with a few books and both are fun reads).

Tesla: Man Out of Time by Margaret Cheney (One of the best biographies I have ever read).

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking (If your into a bit of non-fiction, this is a wonderful book about time, astronomy, astrophysics and theoretical physics written so that it not only captures people but is a bit easier to understand for the normal person).

Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Hard to describe.  Its not a series, a lone book written in first person about a girl whom is taken by vampires and locked away.  Its interesting, well written and uses the true vampire mythology, not the sparkly Twilight BS).

Symphony of Ages Triology by Elizabeth Haydon (A wonderful fantasy series, one of the first series that hooked me on reading long ago.  I've read it at least 20 times throughout the years).

Good Omens by Niel Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (A good book with a good sense of humor).

The Moon Pool by Max MaCcoy (One of the few mystery/murder types I ever liked.  I don't like many books like this, but this one caught me off guard, I couldn't put it down and have read it more then once).

A Sorcerer's Treason by Sarah Zettel (A wonderful trilogy, well written and thought out; fantasy).

Across the Nightingale Floor by Liam Hearn (Don't know what genre to put this in, but a wonderful read none the less).

A Lady Raised High by Laurien Gardner (A book about Anne Boleyn/Tudor and her life).

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose (An HBO mini series was based off this book about the 101st Airbourne Regiment, from D-Day to their capture of Hitler's Eagle's Nest).

Hope you find a good book to read.  <3

Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline Rosby

«Reply #18: January 26, 2009, 05:42:42 PM»
Some of my favorites; can't go wrong with any of these.

James Joyce - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Dubliners and Ulysses

Ernest Hemingway - A Farewell to Arms, Death in the Afternoon, A Moveable Feast

Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby, Tender is the Night

John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces

Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, Notes from Underground

Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho

Salman Rushdie - The Satanic Verses

Offline Cormallen

«Reply #19: January 26, 2009, 06:07:36 PM»
For starters, good millitary sci-fi starts and ends with John Ringo, no matter what. I'm currently into his third Posleen War novel, When the Devil Dances. There are others, but you'd have to ask--at least I can tell you to watch out for Keith Laumer, his BOLO series is pretty dry...
Swords: A greatsword is not a one-handed weapon. A greatsword is not fast. If it is fast, it means it's made of paper mache' and will break upon striking anything.

Randomat twirls two greatswords, one in each hand.
GM: Randomat's hands fall off.

--from the Leirune RP Guide

Offline r i l e y

«Reply #20: January 26, 2009, 06:28:00 PM»

Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Hells. Yeah.

Although one of my personal favorites would have to be Surrender by Sonya Hartnett.
COPYPASTA:

"I remember my first sight of him - the sound and scavenger look of him - surrounded by summer; I remember the stillness of the day and the density of the air. Neither of us was older than nine or ten. I was skimming a car along the garden fence when Finnigan crossed the brink of my vision. At first I feigned ignorance or disdain of his presence, but the car beneath my fingertips bunny-hopped and soon stalled. I slid a glance at him. At school we had seen a wildlife film projected onto a wall, and the boy who was watching me was a hyena. His dark eyes were set apart and seemed to have no arena of white. He didn't move or say a thing but I knew, just from his watching, that he could sever my arm. We were the same height and same age and built along similar leggy lines, but he was a hyena while I was a small, ashy, alpine moth. From the footpath side of the fence he stared at me, and my gaze floated grudgingly from the toy. He swiped a fly from his face. "You're that boy," he said.

". . .What boy?" "You know. That boy. You know. What you did. Everybody knows."

I highly highly recommend this one.

Offline Mredria

«Reply #21: January 26, 2009, 07:51:30 PM»
I have to mention Chronicles of Narnia because they are my favorite books ever. If anyone has anything flamey to say about them, that's fine. I still love them. Just like if you told me that dove chocolates were made of shit and poo, I would still love them. Forever. *eats dove chocolates and reads narnia*
That said, The Door Into Summer by Robert Heinlein is really good. It has a cat in it. And time travel. I was like, woooah.
Another book that I really like is Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. It's set in India, it's got a sort of growing up/spiritual theme to it, but it's not really religious. I would say that it is anti-religious.
First They Killed My Father; a daughter of cambodia remembers - Loung Ung About the rise of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia (Kampuchea) and the rise and fall of Pol Pot from the point of view of a girl who was there. It is non-fiction and it is a personal account. When it doesn't make you cry it will make you vomit, but it's like a train wreck you can't stop reading it. x_x
Books that surprised me, my friend always lets me borrow really horrendous books, but I actually liked these. I don't know if they were good or if I had wallowed through so much crap that anything not about feminism was like the Second Coming of Christ;
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak Nazi Germany theme.
Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen I literally read this book in one sitting. It was a great ride.
---I apologize---

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #22: January 26, 2009, 08:52:09 PM»
Twilight and Edward, the sparkle pansy vampire, can kiss my ass.

Lord of The Flies by William Golding. A book that explores human psychology through little kids in survival situation. What's not to love?

Ender's Game by Olson Scott Card. Great science fiction book. 

Jurassic Park and Lost World by Micheal Chricton, who actually just died recently. :( What can I say, I'm a nerd for dinosaurs. Great science fiction book with plenty of science and action. The books are much better then the movies.

Dean Koontz books such as Watchers, Lightning, ect. Very intresting books and I don't care what anyone else says. I like him better then Stephen King.

Anne McCaffery's Dragons of Pern series. A bit hard to get through sometimes, but not a bad read.

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. Good books. Lovley characters. Did anyone else raise an eyebrow when they replaced the church with the magistrate as the main antagonists in the movie?

Ink Heart by Cornelia Funke. A good book that's about to be ruined by a BAD movie.

Christopher Paolini's Inheritance series: Good books if your into LTR or Star Wars. The books combine elements from both and Paolini admits that these influenced his writing a lot. Its especially good if your into dragons. DON'T WATCH THE MOTHER $^*$#@ MOVIE.

I like some of shakespheare's (sp?) work too. I also read cook books because I'm a fattie and studying to be a chef. lol

There are more books I like, just can't think of them all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:54:25 PM by Electric Guitar »

Offline Surplus

«Reply #23: January 27, 2009, 11:29:25 PM»
Candy
by Luke Davies

if you like books about heroin and sex.
it's my favorite...

Offline r i l e y

«Reply #24: January 28, 2009, 01:49:47 AM»
Candy
by Luke Davies

if you like books about heroin and sex.
it's my favorite...

Oh shit. I almost forgot one of my absolute favorite authors, ty for reminding me Gor!
EVERY fucking book by Ellen Hopkins.
Crank.
Burned.
Impulse.
Glass.
Identical.

Identical made me cry at the end. And Impulse broke my heart.
If you aren't convinced by opening one of her books and just LOOKING at how she writes.. And by how she writes I don't mean word selection. I mean that 95% of the entire book is written in a poem format. Some you can read the page twice and get two different concepts. Fantastic.

anything