turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Price and Crit.  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Sherlock

Price and Crit.
«: January 24, 2009, 09:47:21 PM»
Alrighty. This is one of my first ports, and it was done solely through touchpad. So I'm sure you can estimate how long it took and how frustrating it was. Just wanted to see if I could roll in a little profit.

No stealing yadda you know the drill.

Background is a freebie, PM for the creator.
Anyway, since this is pretty much my first time selling, I've no idea how much ports go for, considering overall quality.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:11:11 PM by Syd »

Sesruc

Re: Price me~!
«Reply #1: January 25, 2009, 09:47:26 AM»
uhmm 5+

the head looks too small for that body
love the corset
needs more shading, especially on the skin

Offline Sherlock

Re: Price and Crit.
«Reply #2: February 14, 2009, 12:43:52 PM»
Any more opinions?

IPGD

«Reply #3: February 14, 2009, 06:25:08 PM»
Mostly what Sesruc said. The shading is extremely weak and it sort of makes the body look flat. I would also move the breast line closest to the viewer further back; it looks very large in proportion to the far one.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:28:39 PM by Matter »

Offline Sherlock

«Reply #4: February 15, 2009, 04:31:40 PM»
Mmk, thank you. I'll make the shading darker next time. I think I way undercompensated because I hate it when you get ports that are so overshaded it looks horrible. I agree; the problem can go both ways.

Offline ReiYukihana

«Reply #5: February 17, 2009, 03:26:08 AM»
I suppose I'd agree with most of what's been said so far.  Comes off as flat, yadda yadda.  I'd nitpick the lines in the hair are a bit harsh, gives it a 'spaghetti' feel, which is a huge pet-peeve for me (I'd back that up with real art-terms by saying it makes it noisy and too 'structured', which isn't so much a good thing when you're wanting to depict feminine locks lolol).  The shape of the hair works for the most part, though, so don't worry about that.

Plus notes, the anatomy (what there is of it,) seems pretty acceptable.  And most of the corset details make sense.  The composition is working for the most part, too.  All in all, though, it's a little hard to really provide any helpful advice with a piece this sparse. 

But I'd go with around five, like's been said.  Keep up the good work, cheerio, make more art, etc. :3

Offline clockwork

«Reply #6: February 20, 2009, 09:44:44 AM»
i will agree that the shading looks very weak - in *places* - the bodice looks good, but remember that a great deal of furc colours 'skip' in their remap depth. it's sometimes better to overkill your shading than underwork it. also the human eye is lazy, and lazier when looking at a screen.

for example, the eye is lazy about white space and so notices shading on it a bit easier. however in the tan, grey and cream coloured skin, it looks almost as though it was flat-coloured.  and black is one of those cases of remapping 'skipping' colour depth, so it essentially *is* flat coloured by no fault of yours.

the head does look a tad small, but as the focus of the port is namely the body, i don't know i'd have complained about that were i thinking to buy it. the bodice detailing is very very nice and fun to look at, i am digging on that. the hair seems a bit like the shading in it was just straight lines of alternating colour depth, so you may want to work a bit on integrating that. but everyone does hair differently, i've noticed, and so that may be your own choice stylisticly.

i don't really buy premade ports, but i'd say based on the work of the bodice alone, i'd have considered spending even as much as 10$ if i wanted this. because that's really the focus of the port, and it is really well done.

Offline Sherlock

«Reply #7: February 22, 2009, 02:50:16 PM»
Do you have any other work you could show?

http://sydmonster.deviantart.com

I really don't draw that often because I'm way too critical of my own skill. It's a personality flaw I haven't been able to get over (any way anyone can help me with that?), but by all means, go ahead and look. No portraits in it.

http://gouge.deviantart.com

My older DA. There might be one other portrait in it.

Offline Sherlock

«Reply #8: February 22, 2009, 02:52:44 PM»
I suppose I'd agree with most of what's been said so far.  Comes off as flat, yadda yadda.  I'd nitpick the lines in the hair are a bit harsh, gives it a 'spaghetti' feel, which is a huge pet-peeve for me (I'd back that up with real art-terms by saying it makes it noisy and too 'structured', which isn't so much a good thing when you're wanting to depict feminine locks lolol).  The shape of the hair works for the most part, though, so don't worry about that.

Plus notes, the anatomy (what there is of it,) seems pretty acceptable.  And most of the corset details make sense.  The composition is working for the most part, too.  All in all, though, it's a little hard to really provide any helpful advice with a piece this sparse. 

But I'd go with around five, like's been said.  Keep up the good work, cheerio, make more art, etc. :3

Thank you kindly.

Offline Sherlock

«Reply #9: February 22, 2009, 03:00:24 PM»
i will agree that the shading looks very weak - in *places* - the bodice looks good, but remember that a great deal of furc colours 'skip' in their remap depth. it's sometimes better to overkill your shading than underwork it. also the human eye is lazy, and lazier when looking at a screen.

for example, the eye is lazy about white space and so notices shading on it a bit easier. however in the tan, grey and cream coloured skin, it looks almost as though it was flat-coloured.  and black is one of those cases of remapping 'skipping' colour depth, so it essentially *is* flat coloured by no fault of yours.

the head does look a tad small, but as the focus of the port is namely the body, i don't know i'd have complained about that were i thinking to buy it. the bodice detailing is very very nice and fun to look at, i am digging on that. the hair seems a bit like the shading in it was just straight lines of alternating colour depth, so you may want to work a bit on integrating that. but everyone does hair differently, i've noticed, and so that may be your own choice stylisticly.

i don't really buy premade ports, but i'd say based on the work of the bodice alone, i'd have considered spending even as much as 10$ if i wanted this. because that's really the focus of the port, and it is really well done.

I've noticed how furcadia remap colors tend to skip, and I've realized I need to shade in a way that makes the best out of all possible remap choices, else just a simple color change can turn a port from brilliant to shitty. I dabbled in that a bit and tweaked this one as much as my minimal intelligence concerning color and shading allowed me, and what you see is the result.
I do need to brush up on how to properly shade hair. That really isn't my stylistic choice, but more of a stylistic surrender.
Thank you for the compliments on anatomy. If there's anything I can do, I believe that would be it. x)

Offline cheska

«Reply #10: February 22, 2009, 03:56:09 PM»
i think its very pretty. :> it does have some flaws, but for one of your firsts, its pretty damn gewd.
Who can take a sunrise, sprinkle it with dew~

Offline Azula

«Reply #11: February 23, 2009, 05:08:44 AM»
people normally avoid using the shitty color schemes

Offline Sherlock

«Reply #12: February 23, 2009, 08:21:38 PM»
i think its very pretty. :> it does have some flaws, but for one of your firsts, its pretty damn gewd.

Thank you. =)

Offline Sherlock

«Reply #13: February 23, 2009, 08:21:57 PM»
people normally avoid using the shitty color schemes

Meaning?

Offline Violet Hawk

«Reply #14: February 24, 2009, 12:38:23 AM»
I'm pretty sure that isn't a comment directed at you in particular, Syd. I THINK he's trying to say you don't have to worry so much about shading to accomodate said crappy remapping colors..

Which is not right, imo. =x Although it isn't common, people still DO use shitty colors, and artists still have to strive to accomodate them. SO. Slacking is evil.

In any case, for a first port? This is a major 'wow'. (I still cringe at my first port ;_;) The corset is really nicely done. I.. don't like the hair so much though. Looks stiff. Doesn't have much flow to it. Kinda like those wigs with the incredibly stiff plastic used for the hair. o_o It still looks nice, mind. But it could look much better.

But it still looks pretty good.  <3

Offline Azula

«Reply #15: February 24, 2009, 11:04:59 AM»
i'm not sure how it's slacking when you're thinking smart. :S being "talented" in making furcadia portraits is useless so i'd see it as a way to be acting smart instead of trying to accomodate what? like 5% of people who DO use said shitty colors? people who commission for art know the shitty colors, and they do avoid them. except erin who loves that ugly hair color..

i'm not sure who you talk to that actually uses ruddy fucking orange. they must be retarded.

ps i'm a girl ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:07:59 AM by legolas »

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #16: February 24, 2009, 11:54:23 AM»
If we're talking about premades, legolas is right. It's best to optimize the portrait to accommodate the most frequently used, properly remapping colors to go by when you shade. This will make sure that the portrait works in most color strings without looking like shit.

If we're talking about commissions for specific character designs, it's best to optimize it to the color string you're working with. Unless the person changes their colors often, the color string will remain pretty static, so it's important you try to somehow make shitty colors looking good. (Of course, you can also argue "well if you're not going to change colors, why bother with a remapping port?")

However, I also found that in most cases it's just impossible to make it look good. So trying might be a waste of time. Some colors just can't look good unless you combine two remapping colors and fit them (such as teal hair combined with blue bracers or something).

Sooo I'm with legolas here. O: Unless the commissioner desperately wants that crappy color, don't bother accommodating your portrait to a crappy color scheme. It's not worth it for premades especially to go to such extents because most people use the good remapping colors anyhow.

anything