turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Criticism and pricing please?  (Read 835 times)

Offline Luminairie

Criticism and pricing please?
«: January 27, 2009, 09:02:21 PM»
http://missb.deviantart.com/art/Port-for-possible-sale-110952456

I made this lil premade thingy. Its my first premade for sale or auction ever, but I think I was in too much of a rush when I made it and I think I might have made my reference picture cry. Is it even right to sell a port if you used a reference? It seems logical that you can, so long as its not traced, but just to be sure I must ask. And I think the port might possibly be made of fail, but I would like to hear what other people think. Like how much it would be worth as it is or if it had a background.

Offline Lovedoll

Re: Criticism and pricing please?
«Reply #1: January 28, 2009, 05:41:59 AM»
The stock image has a link to rules that says this;

5) This stock is not to be used for commercial purposes without permission. That does not mean you cannot sell art made using the stock. Personal commissions and sales of art that benefit the artist directly are okay. If you have a question about something specific, please note me.

So yeah, it's okay to use the image as a ref and sell the derived work for personal gain. :)

As for crits, I think you used a very awkward pose for a portrait for starters. Unless you have something to fill all that space up with, try to go for poses that make use of the canvas. Empty portraits don't sell well in general.

When it comes to the anatomy, you missed a few very important things, the most prominent one being that the neck was utterly ignored. You will see in the photograph that the neck is actually part of the spine and flows into her back, giving her a very solid and structured look. Your port ignores this structure and you basically pasted a head onto a body without taking this connection into consideration. You re-drew what you saw without realizing how her body is put together, I'm guessing.

My tip? If you use a photograph for reference, try to re-draw the person by using shapes. Don't re-draw what you see on the surface, instead use your x-ray vision to imagine how her bones look and put that down in basic shapes that most people use to start a drawing with. Using a photograph is useless if you don't understand the inner workings of the figure you're drawing. :)

For a price, I'm not quite sure. The fact half the canvas goes unused really damages the potential prices for this portrait in particular.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:44:06 AM by Lovedoll »

Offline Hugo

«Reply #2: January 28, 2009, 10:47:08 AM»
Have her holding an anchor rope or something so the pose makes more sense.

Offline Luminairie

«Reply #3: January 28, 2009, 04:58:06 PM»
The stock image has a link to rules that says this;

5) This stock is not to be used for commercial purposes without permission. That does not mean you cannot sell art made using the stock. Personal commissions and sales of art that benefit the artist directly are okay. If you have a question about something specific, please note me.

So yeah, it's okay to use the image as a ref and sell the derived work for personal gain. :)

As for crits, I think you used a very awkward pose for a portrait for starters. Unless you have something to fill all that space up with, try to go for poses that make use of the canvas. Empty portraits don't sell well in general.

When it comes to the anatomy, you missed a few very important things, the most prominent one being that the neck was utterly ignored. You will see in the photograph that the neck is actually part of the spine and flows into her back, giving her a very solid and structured look. Your port ignores this structure and you basically pasted a head onto a body without taking this connection into consideration. You re-drew what you saw without realizing how her body is put together, I'm guessing.

My tip? If you use a photograph for reference, try to re-draw the person by using shapes. Don't re-draw what you see on the surface, instead use your x-ray vision to imagine how her bones look and put that down in basic shapes that most people use to start a drawing with. Using a photograph is useless if you don't understand the inner workings of the figure you're drawing. :)

For a price, I'm not quite sure. The fact half the canvas goes unused really damages the potential prices for this portrait in particular.

You are very very right. I always thought drawing from a reference picture was more difficult because I was trying to draw the outline or surface of the person and only some of their features. Looking at where the bone structure is would make a lot more sense! And after looking at some of the redlined pictures on the forum, you'd think I'd get that by now.

Your port ignores this structure and you basically pasted a head onto a body without taking this connection into consideration.
I should probably be ashamed of this especially, I worked developing x-rays of the spine and neck for over a year. Probably best to think back to those days and remember all the weird and crazy things a neck can do.

Now I'm super happy and I think I need to start practicing drawing skeletal pictures of photos. This is going to help me in a HUGE way! Thank you!   :D

Have her holding an anchor rope or something so the pose makes more sense.

It does look a little off when most of the body isn't there, doesn't it? You can't really see what she's doing with that high held hand of hers.