turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Furcadian Descriptions  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Adielle

Furcadian Descriptions
«: January 31, 2009, 08:57:57 AM»
So, I've been mulling this over for a while myself and I'd like to hear your opinions.

Why, if someone is a roleplayer, are they not capable of writing their own description?  I'm not saying others do not deserve pay if they are willing to write one for another person, but in the end, wouldn't the owner of the character know their character best?  If you can call yourself a roleplayer, shouldn't you be able to write well enough to make one of these on your own? 

I guess I am fully in the belief that if you honestly wish to pursue roleplaying, you should be using your description to showcase your own ability, rather then paying someone else to write something for you.

What do you think about this topic?  Do you think "buying a description" is a good thing?  Or would you prefer to be reading the owners work if you plan on roleplaying with someone?

There are plenty of theasaurus rapers out there, but honestly, at least the people are writing their own description.  I have no problem with people who wish to buy description, if anything I am mroe curious as to why people buy them.  I would assume that if you created your character you would know your character better then anyone else could ever know them.  Maybe this is different in the case of premade characters, but still, it confuses me.
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline Kira

Re: Furcadian Descriptions
«Reply #1: January 31, 2009, 05:58:59 PM»
I can't stand thesaurus raping descs and people who rape the thesaurus in RP. Holy shit it's beyond unnecessary.

I'd also never waste my $ on something I could do myself. I rarely ever write a desc because I never know just how to describe my characters besides putting a little link to drawing of them in the desc and going "hey hey look! he/she looks like THAT! See?"

Maybe I'll throw in a little desc prior to an RP but, if I'm using a CANON character then I will RARELY ever write a desc for them. And if someone doesn't know what they look like or where they're from I'll direct them to GOOGLE.

They're optional for me but sometimes they DO say alot about the person behind the desc. It's a great tip off to find out if someone's a colossal retard and not even worth wasting time with. (any desc with an over abundance of !'s, run on sentences, netspeak and LOL KAWAII DESU)

Looking to commission me or just need to contact?
Deviantart: Demi Furaffinity: Demi Twitter: Demidraws Email: [email protected] I do not check PMs here

Offline Sync

«Reply #2: January 31, 2009, 06:04:33 PM»
Maybe I'll throw in a little desc prior to an RP but, if I'm using a CANON character then I will RARELY ever write a desc for them. And if someone doesn't know what they look like or where they're from I'll direct them to GOOGLE.

me too.

anyway, i personally don't care. i just don't have one for most of my characters because i'm freaking lazy and can't ever do one i'm happy with. i wouldn't pay for one but if somebody wants to write me one, awesome. free desc.

Offline Hathor

«Reply #3: January 31, 2009, 06:14:10 PM»
I can't stand thesaurus raping descs and people who rape the thesaurus in RP. Holy shit it's beyond unnecessary.

THIS.

Dear god all of that sparkling eyes of emerald jewels hues of fairy dust crap is just...wow.

I like to see a simple desc/profile for RPing, and I certainly wouldn't bother buying a desc. Seeing a nicely written desc just to find out the person can't spell simple words in RP is rather off-putting.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:15:57 PM by Hathor »

Offline Zim

«Reply #4: January 31, 2009, 06:37:06 PM»
If I have to use a dictionary to look up every other word in a desc, I won't even bother trying to talk to them. It just shows the kind of person they are. Plus, a lot of thesaurus words in descs are misused. I've even seen words made up just so they can look like a "brilliant roleplayer."

I write descs for my characters, canon or not, because I can... and I don't even RP. When I do, though, I check through to make sure I'm using common language so people don't have to scratch their heads at what the hell I'm saying. It also makes me look like less of an elitist dick.

On that note, I've noticed (personally) that most thesaurus-raping descs tend to be on elitist RPers. But that's really just what I've seen; I can't speak for everyone who does it.

As for buying descriptions... I do have to agree with the OP. It should be a chance to give a quick look at the player's ability. If someone has a beautifully written desc, and turns out to be a shitty rper... I feel like it's a bit like false advertising. It's like I opened a box describing the most amazing device ever, and pulled out a rock.

Offline Zim

«Reply #5: January 31, 2009, 06:45:29 PM»
Thank you, Youlanda. Your last post had me with my head in my hands, laughing my ass off.

I agree, though. One or two isn't horrible, but when I have to bust out a dictionary for everything? Not so cool.

On a side note, FAM has a huge thread dedicated to bad descriptions, as well.

Offline Adielle

«Reply #6: January 31, 2009, 09:47:33 PM»
I also don't understand the whole buying descriptions thing either, really. You would think that the author of a character would know it best, though in some cases someone else might design a character for another player. (I know in some cases this isn't a bad thing on the part of the recipient of such a design, nor does it imply that they're any less creative.)

But does a description really have much to do with being able to 'write well' at all?

Does everyone actualy agree on what the purpose of a Description? Is it to showcase your own writing skills? 

To me, a description exists to describe your character, not to showcase your own writing ability or tell someone your character's whole life story. Use simple, plain english, to explain what the character usually looks like. I usually describe what one might notice first (species, height, etc) then go into further detail that one might notice in further examination, ending with stuff that someone might not notice right away (such as eye color).

See, that’s exactly how I feel in some ways.  Its alright to want to "jazz it up" a bit, but when its not even formatted like a normal sentence anymore because the author just needed to fit all the big words, it actually makes a person look quite stupid.  A description should describe the character, at least in my opinion, not confuse the hell out of people.

I could show anonymous examples, but just in case anyone does know the people, I would rather not post them and cause any havoc.  But I am sure you all know which descriptions...over-do it.  Thesaurus or not, can't we all still use actual proper grammar and sentence structure?  I realize the amount of space you have to write a description is rather small, but then its there to simply get the idea of the character across to others. 

Like Zim, I don't role-play (well, not on Furcadia anymore at least).  I don't role-play for the very reason that furcadia role-play has literally changed the way of "writing."  Now, of course, not every role-player out there writes like they do in their descriptions, but I have seen plenty of players who do.  Having a surprising vocabulary is cool, but using it well and in the right context is better.  Sentence structure is the main bit that I have noticed has changed on furcadia.  Many people ignore normal sentence structure for a more dramatic writing style for their role-plays.  This isn't a problem normally, but when it catches like wildfire and everyone thinks its proper then the problems come.  Stylizing writing isn't a bad thing and cutting corners on specific writing structure is alright under certain circumstances, but I must say, after having been a role-player on furcadia for so long, when I stop role-playing, it was honestly difficult to find my old writing style again and just get used to writing...in a proper way. 

Maybe the sentence structure issues stem from the way people write descriptions?  Sometimes the simpler way of writing a description with only a few more intellectual words is better, because it not only makes things less confusing for every reader, but the structure is there, everything makes sense and yet people can still tell you have a decent vocabulary...but without you over-doing it.

Sorry, ran on there quite a bit.  I'd like to hear others opinions also on the issue of role-playing itself; has role-playing on furcadia affected your own personal writing style outside of furcadia for good or ill?

My Gallery.

Offline Adielle

«Reply #7: January 31, 2009, 09:54:18 PM»
If I have to use a dictionary to look up every other word in a desc, I won't even bother trying to talk to them. It just shows the kind of person they are. Plus, a lot of thesaurus words in descs are misused. I've even seen words made up just so they can look like a "brilliant roleplayer."

I write descs for my characters, canon or not, because I can... and I don't even RP. When I do, though, I check through to make sure I'm using common language so people don't have to scratch their heads at what the hell I'm saying. It also makes me look like less of an elitist dick.

On that note, I've noticed (personally) that most thesaurus-raping descs tend to be on elitist RPers. But that's really just what I've seen; I can't speak for everyone who does it.

As for buying descriptions... I do have to agree with the OP. It should be a chance to give a quick look at the player's ability. If someone has a beautifully written desc, and turns out to be a shitty rper... I feel like it's a bit like false advertising. It's like I opened a box describing the most amazing device ever, and pulled out a rock.

The funny thing is, most of those "elitist" role-players don't even roleplay anymore, they prefer to whine about how "no one is avaliable for roleplay," but they expect everyone else to initiate it with them.  Another good reason I rarely roleplay on furcadia anymore.  The old days were so amazing, but nowadays it simply looks like everyone is trying to out-do everyone else.  It shouldn't be a competition to see who's best, everyone is different and has their own style.

"False advertising..."  Thats actually a really good way to put this.  I suppose thats another good reason I have left.  Many times you'll see characters with quite inspiring descriptions that honestly seem well thought out and you try to engage them in role-play and they end up giving you next to know writing to work with for your own efforts or simply take ages to reply because they can't think up a reply in a decent amount of time.  Now, I am happy to roleplay with all skill levels, but the most important thing about ANY role-play is that both sides put in effort to make the role-play worth your time.

My Gallery.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #8: February 01, 2009, 12:13:35 PM»
I haven't read through the replies, but to answer the question as to why someone would pay another for a description... the answer usually lies within non-english speaking roleplayers. At least this holds true for myself.

When my English wasn't overly impressive I occasionally asked other players to write a description for me in the hopes this would increase my chances of RP. I gave quite a scrambled description of my character and someone else would rewrite it, make it prettier etc. It may seem silly to do, but it actually did help me struggle through the language barrier and gave me directions to improve my writing. I wasn't a shitty RPer per say, it was just difficult to catch attention.

I never was part of the thesaurus raping crowd and neither were the people who wrote my descriptions, but in the context of my situation I hope people can see this as a somewhat valid reason to have descriptions written for others.

My stance on descriptions has always been to keep it clean and simple. There's no crime in plainly describing an attire as it is. What harm can it to other than give the reader the right image of your character?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:17:07 PM by Lovedoll »

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #9: February 01, 2009, 04:48:18 PM»
(Yes, I have a nice collection of really bad descriptions somewhere.)

I have a big folder of bad descs I've screenshotted... we should start a thread on FAZ too!

I don't think it's a crime to have someone else write a desc for you. I love writing descs, even though most of them have sites, pics, or charsheets. I like reading a good desc, too... it's enjoyable to read/write something concise and descriptive, yet also interesting. The purpose of the desc IS to describe your char, but making it interesting I think is more fun. Um, I'm not AT ALL talking about thesaurus rape or twisted grammar. Instead of just "He is this, his fur is that, he is wearing those" it's nice to vary up sentence structure (appropriately) and use (appropriate) strong verbs. I'm sounding bad here. :C

I think one of the things that really helps you out, both in writing a desc, RPing, and writing in general, is just knowing the correct words for things. Instead of "round shoulder armor" you can have "pauldrons." "Breeches" instead of "puffy pants." Stuff like that. Makes it more concise and correct. I think this is a case where it's okay to use more obscure words, as long as they FIT.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #10: February 01, 2009, 05:48:25 PM»
Most of the people who can't write their own descs also can't roleplay. They go hand in hand. On the same token, I know of some people who supposedly can roleplay, but they've had typos and glaring grammatical errors in their descs for months. Typos are one thing, but if your desc is something someone sees everytime they click you, you'd better be giving it a onceover.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #11: February 01, 2009, 06:00:49 PM»
Typos are one thing, but if your desc is something someone sees everytime they click you, you'd better be giving it a onceover.

I get embarrassed when I find a typo in my descs. D:

Offline Jenni

«Reply #12: February 01, 2009, 06:33:33 PM»
i raise my hand and admit -- i was a thesaurus raper. it would be a little case of, 'well, i want to find a better word that fits..' and it blown into a 'let's find a replacement for every word i think of.' soon enough the color green isn't good enough, it has to be emerald or chartreuse, and fabric has to be narrowed down to specifics, lace, chiffon, denim. now since i don't really roleplay anymore i don't really know what i'd do for descs anymore. my mind has gone to the thesaurus so many times it can't be simple anymore.

i guess you could blame me coming from a feral world. i used to roleplay off furcadia and i didn't have a problem with it until i found the more ~advanced~ rpgs, where there was a whole thesaurus for the different parts and colors of a horse. then, coming onto furcadia, seeing those feral descriptions. kind of a conformity.

anyway, i didn't roleplay the way i wrote my descs. i used everyday english. i admit for some raptor rp i went overboard on the synonyms because everyone else did, but as far as anthro rp, im all chill.

as far as descriptions go, i like to read about the appearance, and a dabble of the personality. i don't like those one line, lyrical descriptions with links to websites that gives you an epic fuckton of useless information. it's not like my character is going to know your favorite food is pickles because i read that. i'd rather have things be found out through roleplay.

then what annoys me in furn descs are the overuse of metaphors and similes relating women to food. i don't care how delicious your character is, i eat food, not have sex with it.

and to be on topics -- it's ridiculous to pay for descriptions. i've had someone ask me to write them a description and they still use it today and i'm SO ashamed of it. complete thesaurusfuck. and it makes it out that they wrote their description. #SK

tl;dr i'm sorry i'm in a typing mood. #SJ

Offline Adielle

«Reply #13: February 01, 2009, 07:59:37 PM»
I haven't read through the replies, but to answer the question as to why someone would pay another for a description... the answer usually lies within non-english speaking roleplayers. At least this holds true for myself.

When my English wasn't overly impressive I occasionally asked other players to write a description for me in the hopes this would increase my chances of RP. I gave quite a scrambled description of my character and someone else would rewrite it, make it prettier etc. It may seem silly to do, but it actually did help me struggle through the language barrier and gave me directions to improve my writing. I wasn't a shitty RPer per say, it was just difficult to catch attention.

I never was part of the thesaurus raping crowd and neither were the people who wrote my descriptions, but in the context of my situation I hope people can see this as a somewhat valid reason to have descriptions written for others.

My stance on descriptions has always been to keep it clean and simple. There's no crime in plainly describing an attire as it is. What harm can it to other than give the reader the right image of your character?

You know, I actually never thought of that, but it is definitely a very good reason in which to have someone else make a description.  Brings me back to when I used to roleplay with Swinter.  Nice guy, his grasp of english wasn't the greatest, but because I knew him well enough it didn't take long to realize how he composed his roleplay.  It was just as descriptive as anyone else, but with a few small english errors which you could easily get the idea of what eh really meant.

I know what you mean about the last bit, I am definitely one of those who think the same.  Its alright to jazz up your description a little bit, but displaying an array of large words does not show your a good roleplayer and does not really help anyone else understand what that character might look like, if anything, it confuses them more.

(Yes, I have a nice collection of really bad descriptions somewhere.)

I have a big folder of bad descs I've screenshotted... we should start a thread on FAZ too!

I don't think it's a crime to have someone else write a desc for you. I love writing descs, even though most of them have sites, pics, or charsheets. I like reading a good desc, too... it's enjoyable to read/write something concise and descriptive, yet also interesting. The purpose of the desc IS to describe your char, but making it interesting I think is more fun. Um, I'm not AT ALL talking about thesaurus rape or twisted grammar. Instead of just "He is this, his fur is that, he is wearing those" it's nice to vary up sentence structure (appropriately) and use (appropriate) strong verbs. I'm sounding bad here. :C

I think one of the things that really helps you out, both in writing a desc, RPing, and writing in general, is just knowing the correct words for things. Instead of "round shoulder armor" you can have "pauldrons." "Breeches" instead of "puffy pants." Stuff like that. Makes it more concise and correct. I think this is a case where it's okay to use more obscure words, as long as they FIT.

First off, I wouldn't recommend a thread of screenshots of bad descriptions.  Mainly because, whether or not you post the descriptions without a name attached, some people keep their descriptions for a good while and others know these descriptions as well.  So whether or not anonymous, it still could cause fights, trouble and un-wanted bashing of others.  No need for that.  :)

I agree with you, the sentence structure being varied is definitely a good thing and it will usually show your skill much better then a bunch of big words you don't seem to know how to use.  I have no issues with those people who enjoy writing descriptions, or people like Lovedoll explained, who mayb have a little harder time writing one of their own and getting roleplay due to a smaller grasp of english as many others out there.  I suppose though, in most other cases, I am still under the impression that the player of the character SHOULD know their character best, if they created it anyhow.  Shouldn't they be writing their own description?  Descriptions not only describe the important details about your character, but it also displays what to expect from a role-player.  I stick with what Zim about it being similar to false advertising.  Not that people shouldn't give a person a chance even if the description is not as good, I think they should, but making yourself look better then what you can really do only disappoints those who wish to ro0leplay with you.  I'd prefer to know what sort of roleplay I'm getting into before I get into it, but thats just my opinion.

As for the words you spoke about, in the end, many people playing furcadia and role-playing in general have read some fantasy books, I'm sure and those words are definitely not very obsucre in such a crowd.  Most forum roleplays you find also tend to be in the fantasy/medevial genre, so its likely to hear those words elsewhere as well.  I definitely agree though, breeches is a much better word then "puffy pants."  Bloomers also fits decently if your describing the undergarment version.

i guess you could blame me coming from a feral world. i used to roleplay off furcadia and i didn't have a problem with it until i found the more ~advanced~ rpgs, where there was a whole thesaurus for the different parts and colors of a horse. then, coming onto furcadia, seeing those feral descriptions. kind of a conformity.

then what annoys me in furn descs are the overuse of metaphors and similes relating women to food. i don't care how delicious your character is, i eat food, not have sex with it.

and to be on topics -- it's ridiculous to pay for descriptions. i've had someone ask me to write them a description and they still use it today and i'm SO ashamed of it. complete thesaurusfuck. and it makes it out that they wrote their description. #SK

Yes, see, I think that whole "conformity" issue is probably what keeps making others feel the need to do the same, to be better or the best.  Everyone writes differently, some more advanced then others, but I think everyone should give even the people who are slowly getting better a chance, this is afterall how they get better (as long as they put in the effort).  I also find, although having not been a feral role-player, I can't say for sure, that feral role-players tend to get into "thesaurus mode" more then any other group.  I suppose its because many of the body parts are harder to explain using a word other then leg and so maybe these role-players feel the need to keep their descriptions from being too simplified, but in doing so often create a bigger problem for themselves by going overboard.  This can, of course, be true to any group of role-players on furcadia, but ferals are a good example.  Not everyone does it, but many do.  For those who have not studied anatomy of said animals, it is, I am sure, extremely confusing to try and pick apart a description and understand it.  There are definitely a ton of words that I have no clue about when I read many of these feral descriptions, because most of them are based on anatomy and are not really describing words.  Its just like a doctor trying to describe something to a patient in his "medical language."  How much do you actually understand?  This is the same sort of deal.

The second sentence I quoted there was just pure genius.  Made me laugh, but its so true.  Funny thing is, many of the women who DO use things like that in their description are the prudes who you go to their website and they say they don't yiff.  Whats up with making all these gorgeous creatures who run around and seduce and yet they are celibate?  I'm so confused.  I'm not one to roleplay sexual situations unless its something important in moving a role-play along, but this is rarely the case.  But still, your right, some people seem to overdo things.  By writing things like that in their description they are inticing male roleplayers to want to roleplay with the female in order to hopefully get her in bed, because doesn't she sound scrumptous and then in the end they don't roleplay that way, even though they insinuate that they do.  It confuses the hell out of me.

Thank you for your opinion, darlin'.  <3
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:24:02 PM by Adielle »

My Gallery.

Erde

«Reply #14: February 02, 2009, 10:55:58 AM»
I say write in your own style.  It'll give people a better idea of how you actually RP, as opposed to how someone writing the description RPs.  I think the descriptions with bigger or obscure words will only drive people away, as they may not know what all of them mean, or don't want to put that much brain power into trying to figure out what their RP aprtner is saying.

As was stated before, ferals seem to be the culprits for such acts, but I've see a fur anthro descriptions out there that fit in too.  Again, as stated before, there's nothing wrong with using enhanced vocabulary, just not through the entire flippin' thing. It doesn't make you look smarter, it makes it look like you're TRYING to make it look like you're smarter.

Offline Cormallen

«Reply #15: February 02, 2009, 05:20:53 PM»
For the record, Youlie has a special place in Hell set aside for those who like to misuse synonyms of "eyes." ;D

There's pretty much better ways to "display" your descs--my personal favorite is the imagelink, where if you have a decent piccy of your character, you can toss it up for anyone who cares enough to see. Another, which is more-or-less encouraged through the application system of Leirune (where validated character sheets get posted to the website,) is simply presenting a more developed desc on a webpage somewhere.

Beyond that, go wild--just don't horribly take your 15-year-old of a desc behind the barn... please.
Swords: A greatsword is not a one-handed weapon. A greatsword is not fast. If it is fast, it means it's made of paper mache' and will break upon striking anything.

Randomat twirls two greatswords, one in each hand.
GM: Randomat's hands fall off.

--from the Leirune RP Guide

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #16: February 02, 2009, 07:32:53 PM»
soon enough the color green isn't good enough, it has to be emerald or chartreuse, and fabric has to be narrowed down to specifics, lace, chiffon, denim.

Though I totally know what you mean, this isn't 100% bad if used correctly. I mean, using "atramentous" for black is ridiculous, but specifying what a fabric is actually makes a desc somewhat better... it's more specific without being thesaurus-rapey. (Unless you get insane with it... but just saying "She's wearing a sage green silk dress" isn't bad.)

As for the words you spoke about, in the end, many people playing furcadia and role-playing in general have read some fantasy books, I'm sure and those words are definitely not very obsucre in such a crowd.  Most forum roleplays you find also tend to be in the fantasy/medevial genre, so its likely to hear those words elsewhere as well.  I definitely agree though, breeches is a much better word then "puffy pants."  Bloomers also fits decently if your describing the undergarment version.

Yeah I know, I just couldn't think of any better examples at the moment. :P Um.. well I was reading a book about writing called "Bird by Bird" and the author was talking about how she was looking for the right word. She wanted to know what that little wire thingy on the caps of champagne bottles was called. The same thing goes for any kind of writing I think.

Offline Skink

«Reply #17: February 02, 2009, 10:41:04 PM»
I do judge potential roleplayers by their descriptions. Mostly because they all fall in to one of three broad categories:
-i cn barely type lol i am 18 yrz old an i have a juicy buttoximus {bi}{yiffy}{whisper frendly}
-My oculars dart across the peckable letter squares as I percipitate from my brow over how myself may overcompensate for my pygmy roleplaying tackle (AKA too annoying to translate every damn post)
-Bearable or maybe even intimidatingly good writing giving me a good idea of the character, these guys might be worth a shot!

There's always little sub-categories like the click-me-and-you-know-nothing-about-how-I-look-but-you-have-my-life's-historys and nothing-but-picture-links-but-they're-nice-might-as-well-whispers. But to me a description is a first impression. If you show me you're compatible with my roleplaying style and competent to give me enough visual information to branch off of, that's a good first impression. Anything else is bad.

Bad.

Cocomo

«Reply #18: February 03, 2009, 01:50:51 PM»
I get told I write rather good descriptions.
But I don't see it that way XD
I do RP in FurN, so when I do get a comment like that, I often read my description, read theirs, and see if perhaps they are saying it is good because it is actually 'good' or if it's good because it makes them want to fap. If its the latter, I get on it and change it ASAP. Because, unfortunately for many, I'm not there to be their fap material for the night.
I rarely toss up much personality information, and when I do it's rather hidden, like describing how their stare is apathetic, or they are lacking care in their appearance. Things that don't pop out and scream 'OH THIS CHARACTER IS ____________' outright. Usually, if I have the time and the muse, I do a picture or two for them {or three in the case of Omu XD}.
And my Websites are kept to a rather bare minimum.
Slave papers if they are a slave, a brief 'Things your character could/would know in RP if read', perhaps a gallery for art if I have enough, people they have met, a guestbook, and every once in a blue moon, a paragraph or two of background.

I've been asked to write a description for a few people, but I always decline. Not even to be mean, but I think they should write their own. No sense in giving others false hope by having a stellar description, and then RPing like crap XD
And if you don't speak English? Find someone who does and help them translate a bit :D That way you learn as well ^.^

I kind of judge by description. If they spend most of the time talking about their perfect breasts, and how their skin is like poured milk, I have no interest in RPing with them. Same with anyone with the word 'Yiffy' in their description. Its just a big 'No-No' for me.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #19: February 04, 2009, 01:38:50 PM»
Possessive Pronouns and Adjectives, which folks trying to be poetic seem to leave out when writing:

We were always encouraged in my fiction classes to never use adverbs, since they sound weak. Strong verbs are the best, since they're very active and engaging. I don't know how you're supposed to escape using adverbs all the time, though. (And I use them all the time in my RP, since I'm trying to RP fast and have fun, not create a piece of fiction.)

Publicly shaming someone for being terribad isn't all that great. These things are best reserved for private boards and when spending time among groups of likeminded people. This way, the terribads won't have as big a chance of accidentally stumbling upon the mockery. Yes, in some cases they ARE bad and should feel bad, however, finding people publicly mocking them isn't going to make them change. It's more likely that they'll start drama. Kind of like what's mentioned in the critique thread.

Someone said there was a thread on FAM for this too, which is public. That's why I suggested. You're right, though.

Offline Wyndlily Sharphowl

«Reply #20: February 04, 2009, 05:02:41 PM»
All I can really do is agree with what's been said.

I don't understand purchasing descriptions; never have, never will. I've been asked to write descriptions on a couple of occasions and a strong bitchfest ensued. I don't think I'm the best description writer ever and I have to be in a certain mood to write one, or else it sounds like garbage.

And I too am a recovering thesaurus humper... fortunately, I jumped off the bandwagon sooner than most!

Offline alexandra

«Reply #21: February 04, 2009, 08:16:28 PM»
well.. personally id rather pay someone to write me a desc only because in certain company i am very insecure and my descriptions, that i've written that is, have been nitpicked on when i've been proud of them. i don't know what it is, but i guess id use someone else's commissioned desc as a sheild for my ego, but sometimes i really do enjoy reading other people's interperatation of my characters.  OH LORDY I SUCK but my descs anyway are more for show because i dont usually roleplay with people even though all my alts are roleplay characters lol :333333
i guess thats all i have to say i hope this post isnt completely irrelevent
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:20:27 PM by alexandra »

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #22: February 04, 2009, 08:55:35 PM»
In this case, the stuff I linked to was stuff like, "The" and "He" "His" "Her". It's the difference from writing "Leather belt rested upon waist." and "The leather belt rested upon his waist."

Oh, that. I hate that. Usually, anyway, and in fiction/RP. I guess it's not so bad in poetry, but something about it grinds my gears.

Offline Adielle

«Reply #23: February 04, 2009, 10:09:51 PM»
well.. personally id rather pay someone to write me a desc only because in certain company i am very insecure and my descriptions, that i've written that is, have been nitpicked on when i've been proud of them. i don't know what it is, but i guess id use someone else's commissioned desc as a sheild for my ego, but sometimes i really do enjoy reading other people's interperatation of my characters.  OH LORDY I SUCK but my descs anyway are more for show because i dont usually roleplay with people even though all my alts are roleplay characters lol :333333

Darlin', I'm sure your writing is much better then the elitest snobs who probably nit-picked you.  Be confident in your work.  Don't let other people bring your down because they think they are so godly and better then everyone else.  Just the fact that they nit-picked you at all makes them assholes.  No one will be the "best writer in the world."  Don't let other people make you backdown from what you've written.  In the end, by buying a description your simply going to look more like the elitests who don't have "time" to write their own and go around nit-picking everyone else.

Be proud of what you can do.

My Gallery.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #24: February 04, 2009, 10:17:48 PM»

Darlin', I'm sure your writing is much better then the elitest snobs who probably nit-picked you.  Be confident in your work.  Don't let other people bring your down because they think they are so godly and better then everyone else.  Just the fact that they nit-picked you at all makes them assholes.  No one will be the "best writer in the world."  Don't let other people make you backdown from what you've written.  In the end, by buying a description your simply going to look more like the elitests who don't have "time" to write their own and go around nit-picking everyone else.

Be proud of what you can do.

I second this.  :)

anything