turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Crit and Pricing halp plix  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Wani

Crit and Pricing halp plix
«: February 02, 2009, 12:05:46 PM»
I mostly want crit though. Constructive criticism if you may.
After a loooong pause i have started doing full body arts/digital art in general.
It has never really been my forte, and i have been mostly doing furcadia portraits.

So, here's something i have done so far, please, redline, complain, give me tips on inking, coloring, everything.
I don't have a scanner, so i have to ink everything on computer from a photo, i kinda like doing it though. :>

Oh also.. WATCH OUT FOR NIPPLES. DX

If i was to start trying to take commissions, how much would YOU be willing to pay.
I'm suck at BGs, so mostly i'd be doing just character artsies.

AND; same thing on portrait art.

I've been trying to improve my shading, it's not all that pillowish anymore, right? D:
*points at avatar for comparison*
<3

Sesruc

Re: Crit and Pricing halp plix
«Reply #1: February 02, 2009, 04:05:49 PM»
yes, your port shading isn't as pillowy
keep up the improvement

one thing i really have to point out are the facial expressions
although they aren't bad at all, they're all the same.

IPGD

«Reply #2: February 02, 2009, 08:48:57 PM»
Like Sesruc says, you are extremely prone to sameface syndrome. At my first look over, it seriously looked like you were literally copying and pasting the same face on every image. All I'm seeing in your work is repeated anime cliches without much regard to why or how things work.

Here we go....

It looks like you can't decide whether you're trying to draw furries or humans. If you want to draw elongated snouts, draw elongated snouts; your attempt in the first image just makes it look like he has a massive jaw and a mouth trying to escape from his face. Animals have very different facial structures from humans -- you can do one or the other, but if you try to mix both in the way you have, you'll end up stuck in the Uncanny Valley with no way out.

If you're trying to draw furred characters, the "blush" you've liberally applied on the figure would not be there. The redness at the cheeks, tips of the fingers, etc. is caused by blood. Skin is translucent, but fur is not; unless she is actually bleeding, you would not be able to see any of it. You can have animu knee blush or you can have fur, but not both. Also, the shading you've used heavily implies that she is hairless; you should apply some level of texture to imply fur.

If you aren't trying to draw furred characters -- skin... can't really be grey. The color of skin is a combination of melanin and the color of fat, ligaments, muscle, and blood. Melanin determines both the darkness of skin and its translucency (this is why visible blue veins are common in very pale people, but nearly nonexistant in black or dark skinned people), while the yellow of fat and the red of muscle and blood are the principle contributors to the color of "white" skin. In order for a character to have grey (or any other color) skin, she would probably have grey fat or something entirely different from melanin (such chlorophyll, which is what gives plants their green coloration).

You've paid almost no attention to anatomy whatsoever. The examples you show demonstrate no knowledge of proportion form; it looks like you're attempting to draw entirely from memory without any prerequisit knowledge or reference. Stop that. Read up on anatomy books (see the link in my signature; in addition to the resources it mentions, the "essay" is very relevant to your perdicament) and use references for things you're inexperienced with. As long as you have permission to do so, there is nothing wrong with referencing photographs.

It looks like you're using dodge and burn. Never. Use. Dodge and burn. Never. The results are very tacky and unrealistic; stop while you're ahead. You will have far more success if you learn to manually blend your values with a normal brush, be it the default or custom. Also avoid the airbrush/soft edge brushes for now. My own rendering process, if you can read my handwriting...

Your colors are very flat and lifeless. The color of your light source has a great effect on the color of your image; your shadows should be the complementary, or opposite, color of whatever your light source is. Natural light is yellow -- that means purple shadows. A green light source will give red shadows, an orange light source will give blue shadows, etc. Here's a picture I made a while ago to illustrate this principle. Google "Color Theory" for a more in-depth explanation of what I'm talking about.

Again, see the link in my sig.

Offline Adielle

«Reply #3: February 02, 2009, 10:02:41 PM»
You know, I actually adore those linearts.  Anatomy is a bit off, but it looks like its a stylized proportion and SHOULD be that way.  If you'd like anatomy tips, I can give them, but I actually like the way your style looks when the anatomy isn't perfect.  I suppose they just look more cute/sweet/innocent.

I do agree with IPDG, however, when it comes to dodge and burn.  Definitely not the way to go.  Things might look alright in the begining, but if you want to grow you'll eventually hit a brick wall with that style of coloring.  After hitting the wall, you'll find it hard to try and new, possibly bit harder style because your just so used to dodge and burn.  Its easy to then fall back into old habits.

I recommend trying a few things, number one, expierment with not only digital media coloring, but also traditional media.  Your style might actually suit traditional quite well, it would definitely be something to at least try and see if you like it.  Granted, its not for everyone, but who knows.  :)

Can't really comment on the ports, I'm awful with pixel art and therefore I don't think I'm the best person to give you a decent critique.  But either way, you definitely seem to be on the right track and slowly progressing, which is a good thing.  Keep up the practice, it'll pay off in the end.  <3
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

IPGD

«Reply #4: February 02, 2009, 10:30:02 PM»
You know, I actually adore those linearts.  Anatomy is a bit off, but it looks like its a stylized proportion and SHOULD be that way.  If you'd like anatomy tips, I can give them, but I actually like the way your style looks when the anatomy isn't perfect.  I suppose they just look more cute/sweet/innocent.
The anatomy isn't "a bit off"; it is characterized by a complete lack of knowledge. There is a difference between an exaggeration made to be aesthetically pleasing and an error made out of ignorance -- with the exception of the facial features, there is no part of these images that gives any indication that these exaggerations are purposeful. The inconsistency between the proportions of these two pieces alone is enough for me to come to this conclusion. The OP is not exercising stylistic choice, she is demonstrating ignorance.

I could ramble on this subject for ages, but most of what I'll ever have to say about the general topic of style and anatomy is summarized in my signature.

Offline Wani

«Reply #5: February 03, 2009, 12:42:14 AM»
Thanks guys.  :-*

And i totally agree with all of you. xD About anatomy, i never really draw a 'sketch'. (Where head goes, arms, legs)
I just start drawing eyes, and continue from there, and i know i shouldn't do it. I guess i'm going to have to be more strict from now on! D:<
In order to get a hang of anatomy and light source, should i just start drawing humans or/and lifeless objects, which is the priority?
And i agree with dodge and burn.. And i'm ashamed of using it. Back in the day, i actually used to shade and highlight with colors,
same thing with faces, i used to draw more furreish faces, but then i got lazy or something. And i've never been too good with expressions. :x
It's gonna take some time to get all of this to work, but hey, it's not like i have anything better to do. xD

Thanks again, all of you. <3
*bookmarks all the links* #SQ
<3

IPGD

«Reply #6: February 03, 2009, 01:11:07 AM»
In order to get a hang of anatomy and light source, should i just start drawing humans or/and lifeless objects, which is the priority?
Do both. I highly recommend taking actual life drawing classes, however (this is the thing where you have a real model come in and you draw timed poses).

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #7: February 10, 2009, 12:38:42 AM»
Agreed with Matter. If you can't take life drawing classes, do what you can. Drawing something in real 3D space is better than drawing from photos and references, though those are okay too. Draw random stuff in your room. When I'm waiting for classes to start I'll often sketch my hand, feet, shoes, other people in the hall, etc. (Though it can be annoying when they move.) Carry a small experimental sketchbook around. I think mine is like 6 by 8 inches or something. Easy to whip out and sketch in.

Watch out for your boobs--they're not really circles. :P

anything