turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Where should I go to college?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Miserable

Where should I go to college?
«: February 11, 2009, 07:14:15 PM»
So, I got a 2290 on my SATs how I did that is beyond me

Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, NYU, or Princeton.
Major undecided, but have been accepted to all but pending on Princeton.

Offline Skink

Re: Where should I go to college?
«Reply #1: February 11, 2009, 07:22:59 PM»
why would you ask people on furcadia something like this lol

Offline Mredria

«Reply #2: February 11, 2009, 07:27:26 PM»
from personal experience, wherever you go i reccomend taking core classes at community colleges. it cuts costs more than in half (more like in quarters) and the classes are smaller so that you get more individual attention. IT's most important in your composition/english classes because you'll be writing papers through the rest of college and having a lot of help on that initially keeps you from floundering later.
---I apologize---

Offline Miserable

«Reply #3: February 11, 2009, 07:40:06 PM»
lol i ask because im so confused, i thought maybe someone on here may go to one of these colleges.
& thanks mredria i think i will.

Sesruc

«Reply #4: February 13, 2009, 08:58:38 PM»
imo shouldn't you want to know what your major interests are -before- you even go on to decide what college you go to? you're pretty asking an open ended question here. going to a big name college is one thing, but if it truly offers what is best for your interests is another

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #5: February 13, 2009, 10:17:37 PM»
imo shouldn't you want to know what your major interests are -before- you even go on to decide what college you go to? you're pretty asking an open ended question here. going to a big name college is one thing, but if it truly offers what is best for your interests is another

IDK. A huge amount of people change their major. A lot of people find out what they want to do as they study, I think. (Not everyone, obviously.) Though this is a good point. I just wouldn't go somewhere too specific.

I think Mredria is right. I'd also go with a school that's well-rounded, in case you change your focus. You'll be able to expand in many different directions. That's why I don't personally like focus schools like the Art Institutes--they're probably great but you'll have to find another school if you decide you want to do biology, etc.

Don't be lured by big names. When I was applying for colleges I applied for a bunch of fancy liberal arts colleges that had massive price tags. My parents said that I could do 2 years at the university where my mom teaches since there's a huge discount on tuition (since she works there), then transfer to anywhere. I'm almost done with that second year, but I'm not leaving. I like it here. It offers what I want and at more than a tenth of the cost. Maybe I can go to grad school somewhere somewhere more esoteric if I decide to embed myself more deeply in academia. =P

College is more than just studying. Go somewhere where you'll be happy and where you can grow as a person.

Good job on the good SAT score, by the way! It's not TOO important, but it definitely looks nice!

Offline Hollen

«Reply #6: February 16, 2009, 03:33:25 AM»
Visit the campus and town around it before making a choice. Though people can give you their opinions and reviews on places they may vary from yours. For instance most of my friends went to up state NY for college half hate it because unless you have a car and like to drink there is nothing to do while the other half love it because you have to have a car and like drinking so for them there is always something to do.

Personally I couldn't go to a college that isn't near a city, cities have everything where I am concerned and all a subway or trolley ride away. However plenty of people just can't function in cities and become nervous in them.

Your safest bet is to visit these places in person first, see not only the college but the surrounding town, find out what there is to do, if there are things that spark your interest. Make sure that where you go is livable for YOU, because lets face it if you HATE where you live your grades can suffer. It can be hard to visit the college campus's during senior year but think of it this way this is a choice that will affect your first few years of 'freedom' away from home and that will put you in a living situation, you want all the possible knowledge you can have going in.

Personally I love Philly -Shameless prattle-

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #7: February 16, 2009, 04:19:36 AM»
Hollen's right. I know that as seniors in high school we were allowed to occasionally take days off to visit campuses. Make a long weekend out of it, maybe.

Offline tooth

«Reply #8: March 01, 2009, 06:07:59 PM»
hop-a-train

Offline Magma

«Reply #9: March 01, 2009, 07:22:48 PM»
from personal experience, wherever you go i reccomend taking core classes at community colleges. it cuts costs more than in half (more like in quarters) and the classes are smaller so that you get more individual attention. IT's most important in your composition/english classes because you'll be writing papers through the rest of college and having a lot of help on that initially keeps you from floundering later.

101% agree! Also, be sure you take your worst classes at a community college. It's much easier than at a four-year school (in most cases).

anything