turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How has the recession affected you or your family?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Electric Guitar

How has the recession affected you or your family?
«: February 14, 2009, 02:11:38 PM»
Well shit. I just found out my mom is losing her job to the recession. She was working for a big life-flight company called Air Methods if anyone has herd of it. It's kind of a wake up call to me. I know the recession is affecting a lot of people's lives, but it hasn't really affected my family until now. Its also a bit scary since a lot of my medical issues were covered under Air Method's insurance plan. My mom will still be able to find another job since she has a lot of expereince in the medical field, but I know a lot of people aren't so lucky.

So how has the economic recession affected you?

Offline Adielle

Re: How has the recession affected you or your family?
«Reply #1: February 14, 2009, 07:11:12 PM»
Looking for a job is awful right now.  Financial issues mean I can't go back to Uni, barely can feed the animals.

Live with in-laws who try to control every aspect of my and my husband's lives and we need money to move.  I'm afraid living with them any longer will only push us apart.  He doesn't know how to say no to them because in an asian household its all about respect and yet they push him around and choose FOR HIM what he should be doing.

My dad back in the US is uncertain about his job future.  He's been with the company for 30+ years and is one of the top electricians at Falk, but Falk hasn't gotten any new orders yet past May, meaning he may or may not have a job after that point.  This also means I may or may not be able to come home to visit my family over the summer, which kills me inside.  I honestly don't know who I am anymore because I have no control over my life with the in-laws.  I miss my family.  ):

I wish the best of luck to your mother.  Its hard not only finding jobs right now, but obviously keeping them as well.
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline Tony

«Reply #2: February 15, 2009, 01:38:52 PM»
Uhh. My mom's in the real estate field and she lost her job back in January of 2008. That fucked us up big time, we were backed up like six months on the mortgage, barely living off of unemployment checks, etc. She got a job in September and our house was about to go through foreclosure in December (great christmas present, huh?) But she worked out something with the bank/mortgage company.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #3: February 15, 2009, 02:33:44 PM»
Adielle: Thanks for wishing luck to mom. I hope your luck turns around too and that you'll be able to visit your family.

Joker: My dad got out way early before the real estate market went to shit. I think the agency he was working for will probably go under since we live out in the middle of nowhere and won't be able to generate any business for them. Good luck to you to. :)

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #4: February 15, 2009, 04:08:49 PM»
We're one of the lucky ones. My parents' jobs and my education are thankfully not at stake--yet--though their retirement funds were completely trashed. Which is scary, since my folks are both almost 58. Though they like their jobs and likely won't retire right off the bat, it's still worrisome. My education fund is special and protected from a lot of things, but it lost a couple thousand dollars over the last few months.

I wish you all the very best of luck. These are hard times for so many people. =\

Offline Belgium

«Reply #5: February 15, 2009, 05:08:11 PM»
We've lived paycheck to paycheck since 2005 and the recession as only made it worse, though my mom was lucky to land a good job earlier this year and she's actually getting promoted soon, so oddly enough, things will be improving a little for us. I just hope it stays that way; having to worry about whether or not you'll have a house tomorrow really takes a toll on you.

Good luck to everyone.

Offline Mae

«Reply #6: February 15, 2009, 06:22:54 PM»
We were doing pretty well, when we lived in an apartment. But then mom wanted to get a house? It kind of went downhill from there. (2005-06ish.) Check by check living, then it got worse because her job was all HAHA NO OVERTIME BITCH~. Our cable/internet/whatever gets cut off occasionally, someone kept trying to take our car? I'm not sure who, but we ended up having to sell it, (decent car) for a broken, previously-shanked old Malibu. @_X The fact that they won't let her work overtime anymore is what really fucked our shit up, though.
fffffffffffff.

Offline Skink

«Reply #7: February 16, 2009, 04:11:32 AM»
It has kicked all our asses. The end. Not so much in everybody's losing jobs and houses and things like that, but it's always teetring on the edge of losing and keeping. The stress always has us at each other's throats.

Erde

«Reply #8: February 20, 2009, 02:49:08 PM»
I know 6 people who got laid off from their jobs within the same week.

It was baaaad.  I'm lucky I got hired somewhere that was already understaffed.

Offline Miserable

«Reply #9: March 03, 2009, 08:30:26 PM»
My whole town.
Not so the specific people but our school district. We over spent the budget before the recession, so it hit us hard. We no longer have graduation remediation programs, band, art, summer school, and many elective classes. My father is a teacher for the school district and about 100 jobs are going to be lost within it.
The thing is in my school you have to pass a specific test to graduate, and they can't even afford to take them this year and get them graded.
This economy is screwing our education up hardcore.

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #10: March 03, 2009, 09:03:30 PM»
I totally agree Miserable. My school has been hit hard. Three different small town communities send their students to our middle school/high school building. (It's centered between the towns.) Because our school depends on students enrolling in their school (enrollment has gone down in our school), and the people in these small country towns paying their taxes (which also has gone down due to the recession), our school is about to make some serious budget cuts so they can get by. It has scared a lot of people. We may be losing a few teachers, library aids, clubs, sports, coaches, ect. I'm lucky because I'm graduating this year, but it will affect my brother and sister.

It sucks ass. 

Offline Eevee

«Reply #11: March 03, 2009, 10:11:05 PM»
My dad is an electrician who owns his own business. For commercial jobs, he has to bid the lowest he can go while being able to pay for the materials AND make a little extra for us to eat and pay bills. People bid even lower than him and win the bid to do the job so he gets less work which means less money for us. My dad is at the point where he's just about ready to fill out the paperworks necessary to be sent overseas to work as an electrician because they pay well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:16:15 PM by Eevee »

Offline Hugo

«Reply #12: March 04, 2009, 12:49:10 PM»
Still have my job, but I'm noticing a shit ton of people are going to our library now for the free media and internet.

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #13: March 05, 2009, 02:25:53 AM»
My dad wasn't exactly demoted, but they moved him to an entirely new location (after working 15+ years at the offices he was at). Now he's making 1000 less a month, and it's hurtin' him bad. My oldest brother was laid off for two weeks, but then got his job back. Youngest brother managed to get a job, second oldest still kept his. (I don't live with any of them)

So far, it hasn't effected myself as much, nor my mom(whom I live with).

The job I work at.. Well, my manager/boss finds it necessary to remind us that 'We oughta be lucky we have our jobs', and that we're 'mother fuckers'. Generally all in the same sentence, and I always get sick or a knot in my stomach just before I head into work.

Hope everyone does better, and shit starts recoverin' n what have you.. good luck, y'all..

Offline Ean

«Reply #14: March 05, 2009, 03:01:57 AM»
Well, it hit us just as hard as anyone else. Sadly...

We were in Texas for a while, a couple months before hand, and were doing alright. We were having a few problems with my fiances dad and his dads fiance. So we decided to move back home with high hopes since we were sure to make things better. Get on our feet again. Things were going alright until we started to find jobs. Out of 20 or so places, only 4 were hiring. Sad really. Most of the places we went for first were fast food places. They were always hiring... Now they just can't handle so many people. Bleh.

Now that this is going on, my mom (she is the main source of income) was laid off a while ago. Her work place keeps acting like assholes. They don't do much for their workers. Also, they told their workers that they would be called back sometime between this month and next month. She's been working there for over 15 or so years, one of the most trusted and hard working, yet haven't been called back. She's pissed about it yet not. It's factory work, I wouldn't want to go back either.

Because my fiance and I can't get/find jobs here now, we all have to live under one roof (yes, its large enough for 5 people), but it's really expensive. My dad doesn't get much, just enough to pay rent, now that my mom has no job. Even with paying rent, we are still in debt... 1k-2k in debt. Sucks really. We had to apply for food-stamps so that we can actually get food to eat. So, for now, we are getting a little over 300 a month to pay for food. Dad is bringing in.. somewhere around 500-600 a month. Which is still not enough to pay rent. Rent here is almost 800 a month. I'm bringing in little under 200-300 a month (it varies greatly) and my fiance hasn't been able to bring in anything but he has been helping with a lot of things here...

So, for now, we are just scrapping by. :/

Cocaine

«Reply #15: March 12, 2009, 04:26:11 AM»
omyy well this Recession isn't affecting me or my family one bit, my dads in the army so his job is safe and my mum doesn't work lazy bitch,
 also so is mine seeing as i work for the army in there kitchens where they eat, omg i fucking hate Sgts  >:(

No debt, no mortage to pay off, win.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:30:18 PM by Cocaine »

Offline Jokes

«Reply #16: May 08, 2009, 08:37:55 AM»
We were in dept before the ressession, so my parents have been going to a lot of bank meetings lately. We still have a little leeway money because my dad makes relatively good money. My mom doesn't work but helps out the family so they pay her for gas and stuff like that.

The one thing that was really stressful for a while was the fact that a whole shitload of people at my dads work got laid off, but because he's worked there for 16+ years and is awesome at what he does, they kept him.

Then he got sent home for a month and a half for stress leave, because hes sick of their health hazards and him reporting them and them not doing anything about it. Now he's finally back to work and they said they won't pay for his stress leave. Fucking assholes.

So, for the past couple of months I've been giving my mom and dad the money i get from me teaching guitar out of our home, and my paychecks I get from working part time to my parents just to get by. It could be worse though. We still have a little bit of money to maybe go see a couple concerts during the summer. Just, the past few months haev been scary as hell.

To everyone in the states that struggling, I wish you luck. <3
Contact via PM's preferred

Offline Catticus

«Reply #17: May 09, 2009, 02:03:46 PM»
Sorry to hear those that are in sad states right now!  I just moved into my own apartment, living by myself for the first time in my life and am desperately searching for work for the summer until school starts up again in the fall.  I've got some money in the bank but its running out all too quickly.  =S