turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pricing please  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Pocketmew

Pricing please
«: February 19, 2009, 07:38:00 PM»
I would like to know how much I can sell something like for =3 I was thinking maybe 5$/gd...but I don't know. I did work hard on it, and wonder if I could get a little more for it. Or just keep it at 5.

Rudeness is unappreciated, crits/redlines are highly welcome. <3

Offline Lovedoll

Re: Pricing please
«Reply #1: February 19, 2009, 07:45:36 PM»
This is adorable! :D But kinda dark. Only immediate crit on this would be that the shoulders seem narrow compared to the size of the head. As for pricing.. Yeah, 5 sounds good for a base. :3 Maybe 5-7 could work depending on size/complexity of the char?

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #2: February 19, 2009, 07:48:59 PM»
Hmm, I always seem to get proportion out of whack. -cry- Thank you lovedoll. I'll try to work on that some more.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #3: February 19, 2009, 07:53:46 PM»
D'awww! Well, try to use this as a general rule; shoulders are about three times the width of the head on an average person. Give or take. In some styles it doesn't look right, but it's a good idea to keep it in mind. :D

IPGD

«Reply #4: February 19, 2009, 08:27:27 PM»
I can't say I would pay very much for this.

Your main problem is your lack of knowledge of proportion. You seem to sacrifice all semblance of standard anatomy in favor of making something "cute" -- while experienced artists are sometimes able to get away with this, you sorely lack the foundation needed to successfully execute stylization (see my signature).

You don't seem to care or try very hard to make your bodies look right. Instead of looking for a reference for something you're inexperienced with (this is okay! As long as you are not literally tracing, referencing is neither cheating nor stealing), you seem to just say "screw it" and stick with whatever blobby interpretation you initially had in your mind. In this piece, the hands in particular stick out as a very clear representation of this -- I mean... what! Her right hand looks like a scorpion's tail. There are hundreds of references on the internet you can use, on top of the fact you do have a body and you probably have a mirror. Use your resources to your advantage; not using them doesn't make you a better artist (spoiler: it makes you worse!).

Another thing that bugs me about your work is the whole animu knee blush you keep doing. The increased red coloration you sometimes see other artists use -- on humans -- is caused by an increased blood flow to that area. If you cannot see the skin (because it is completely obscured by fur), you cannot see the increased red coloration of the skin. It may seem cute to people who don't know any better, but every time I see this animu cliche repeated on furries I want to cringe. Do it all you want on humans, just not on things with fur!

That brings me to another point: the entire basis of your work seems to be mimicry. You see an artist do something you like, so you imitate it. This in itself is fine, but you're going about it all wrong -- you really need to understand what you're drawing and why you're drawing it, or you will ultimately end up with a piece that smacks of amateurism and lack of comprehension. Real understanding is not accomplished by blindly pilfering stylistic elements from other artists, it's accomplished by learning the same way they did. Famous ~*mangaka*~ Totobobo McNipNong didn't learn to draw his supaa supaa kawaii manga by copying the end results of his favorite artist's ten years of rigorous practice, he figured out what classes he took and what methods he used to learn and copied those. Again, see my signature.

You don't start calculus before you've learned basic algebra. Art is no different.

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #5: February 19, 2009, 09:04:28 PM»
Hrm, I do get what you're saying. Believe it or not, I repeatedly keep using references (Not for some of my works though) and each time I do it seems to look worse than what I originally wanted to do :( Ex http://mewstara.deviantart.com/art/I-will-eat-this-ball-105633586

That one I used a reference on. I'm sorry but, I really don't want to do realism. It is very droll to me. I do use it to practice, but I never display it. Because its just not interesting to me.

I do the whole as you call it pilfering other artist thing...without noticing...Right now I would not even begin to tell you who my favorite artist is, because I just draw what comes to mind. The only person that ever intrigued me was my best friend irl http://piosa.deviantart.com but my art doesn't even look like hers. =\ Sorry about the little blush thing, others may hate it but, I just enjoy it. If it makes you cringe I'll stop, heh I know what you mean.

I don't want to make art a chore, but I will to get better.

The only thing about your long post that I kinda don't like it how you asssume I try to sacrifice anatomy, and don't care. I really really really do want to get better, and I really do try. I just can't seem to get the whole referencing right. It may sound stupid, but I really can't. I try and try to reference but I never can get to a steady level with my art. I even went as far as taking pictures of myself but that turned out a horrid mess as well =( But I'll keep trying to reference, and get anatomy down. I always seem to do better when I can see the thing in front of me.

But thank you very much for your crits. I'll be sure to keep it in mind. ^^

Offline Drug

«Reply #6: February 19, 2009, 09:19:26 PM»

Another thing that bugs me about your work is the whole animu knee blush you keep doing. The increased red coloration you sometimes see other artists use -- on humans -- is caused by an increased blood flow to that area. If you cannot see the skin (because it is completely obscured by fur), you cannot see the increased red coloration of the skin. It may seem cute to people who don't know any better, but every time I see this animu cliche repeated on furries I want to cringe. Do it all you want on humans, just not on things with fur!

Big fan of you, and I know you say this alot about blushing furres.. But keep in mind that even though it's not possible for blush to show on furres, it's very common in many furre drawings. In fact, some furres have tattooes! I know one of my all-time favorite furre artist, Amanda Payne, does it, and she makes alot of money for her artwork. So even though it's not possible, I don't see what it hurts. It's all imaginary anyway..  :-X

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #7: February 19, 2009, 09:38:02 PM»
Well Matter, always the rude one aren't you? You have some valid points, but you are assuming things about people that are none of your business. Giving good critique isn't about being an asshat nor is it about sugarcoating everything. Who are you to say she doesn't care about getting things right? Would it kill you to just say "Here are some refs you could use"? Would it kill you to understand someone's position before you go in and kick them down?

Like I said, you have good points, you're just being an asshole about it because your way is the only way in your eyes. Insulting Mew and saying she doesn't give a shit isn't a helpful critique. That's being a nasty bastard to feel better about yourself, and I think until you learn to shape up a bit and offer critique tuned in to the needs of an artist, people should refrain from even reading your posts. Your crits are getting ridiculously filled with bullshit and completely override the valuable aspect of helping.

And yeah, I know it's off topic, but god. It's not hard to say "Technically blushing knees of furries isn't possible, but see for yourself what's more important in your works - realism or cuteness". It actually brings across the point just fine without needing to be an asshat and imply Mewstara's art makes you cringe because of it. That's rudeness, not a critique. e_e

tl;dr: Just because you feel one way about something doesn't mean the world has to bend to your rules. Suggest it, don't imply as if it's the only way. If everyone had to draw like you did the world would be one hell of a boring place to be.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:39:59 PM by Lovedoll »

Offline Adielle

«Reply #8: February 19, 2009, 10:02:06 PM»
Hrm, I do get what you're saying. Believe it or not, I repeatedly keep using references (Not for some of my works though) and each time I do it seems to look worse than what I originally wanted to do :( Ex http://mewstara.deviantart.com/art/I-will-eat-this-ball-105633586

That one I used a reference on. I'm sorry but, I really don't want to do realism. It is very droll to me. I do use it to practice, but I never display it. Because its just not interesting to me.

I do the whole as you call it pilfering other artist thing...without noticing...Right now I would not even begin to tell you who my favorite artist is, because I just draw what comes to mind. The only person that ever intrigued me was my best friend irl http://piosa.deviantart.com but my art doesn't even look like hers. =\ Sorry about the little blush thing, others may hate it but, I just enjoy it. If it makes you cringe I'll stop, heh I know what you mean.

I don't want to make art a chore, but I will to get better.

The only thing about your long post that I kinda don't like it how you asssume I try to sacrifice anatomy, and don't care. I really really really do want to get better, and I really do try. I just can't seem to get the whole referencing right. It may sound stupid, but I really can't. I try and try to reference but I never can get to a steady level with my art. I even went as far as taking pictures of myself but that turned out a horrid mess as well =( But I'll keep trying to reference, and get anatomy down. I always seem to do better when I can see the thing in front of me.

Matter makes some good points and a few that are irrelevant.  For instance, this is what he said: "Another thing that bugs me about your work is the whole animu knee blush you keep doing. The increased red coloration you sometimes see other artists use -- on humans -- is caused by an increased blood flow to that area. If you cannot see the skin (because it is completely obscured by fur), you cannot see the increased red coloration of the skin. It may seem cute to people who don't know any better, but every time I see this animu cliche repeated on furries I want to cringe. Do it all you want on humans, just not on things with fur!"

Honestly, if you strive to be a cartoony artist, yes you do need to work on anatomy and some figure drawing and realism in your spare time.  If you don't like it, don't show it, but it WILL help you improve.  I'm still working on mine as well, but I have seen vast improvements since I did figure drawing classes and will soon be taking more.  If your not a fan of looking for stock photos to draw and the like, try and look for a local figure drawing class to take.  Their fun and a good way to network with other artists in your area.

As for the coloring techniques, you know, everyone does things differently.  Now, nitpicking coloring in a realistic or semi-realistic piece, this would be different and he would be right.  Although this critique doesn't hold much weight to cartoony styles, like your own.  If you like to have redness in certain areas, thats a stylistic choice and may end up being a pinnacle bit of what makes your style your's.  If its not realism, then there is no strict way you HAVE to color it.  Obviously adhering to normal shadowing and light sources is key, but stylizing the way you color is not wrong, nor is it bad.  However, I do agree that before you get too heavily into your own style, make sure your working on some figure drawing and always look towards what you can improve with your own style.  Either way though, your definitely on the right track and with some practice you'll be on the right track.

A helpful book I found is "The Complete Book of Drawing Skills" by Barrington Barber.  You should definitely think of picking up a copy.  Its nice and big, has a lot of helpful information and it also breaks down a lot of techniques, anatomy and even famous masterpieces and explains how to create composition.  It also has a bit about landscapes, problem areas like hands and feet, facial structure, musculature, perspective and geometry and a composition.  Its definitely one of the best books I've found thusfar.
Goodbye my Sunshine, for we are but smoke and ash...

My Gallery.

Offline Adielle

«Reply #9: February 19, 2009, 10:05:32 PM»

Big fan of you, and I know you say this alot about blushing furres.. But keep in mind that even though it's not possible for blush to show on furres, it's very common in many furre drawings. In fact, some furres have tattooes! I know one of my all-time favorite furre artist, Amanda Payne, does it, and she makes alot of money for her artwork. So even though it's not possible, I don't see what it hurts. It's all imaginary anyway..  :-X

Just to add to this, the character is also more humanistic then furre in appearance other then the obvious skin tone difference, ears and a nose.  But have you asked the artist is the character even HAS fur?  This is an assumption based on you assuming ever furre has fur to begin with when many artists prefer a humanistic representation of anthros that may or may not even have fur at all, making the skin pigmentation changes based on blood circulation and everything irrelevant.

My Gallery.

IPGD

«Reply #10: February 19, 2009, 10:17:17 PM»
I really really really do want to get better, and I really do try.
I'm sorry but, I really don't want to do realism.
You aren't going to get any better if you think like that.

You don't have to drop anime and never ever ever pick it up again, but you do need to know how to draw realism. There's no way around it. It's a choice between genuine improvements and stagnancy, which is what drawing anime (or any other form of stylized work) will cause. You need to know the basics or you will never get anywhere. (And believe me, I said the same exact thing about realism when I was an animutard. Once you know how to do it, you will enjoy it much more than you ever enjoyed what you do now. It's so much more artistically engaging, and at the same time, much easier to do; it's simpler when you aren't constrained by lack of detail you're allowed to put in any one piece. Once you experience the freedom that realism allows you, anime is what will seem droll. Again, even if you don't enjoy it (which I doubt), nothing is stopping you from going back to anime when you are ready.)

As for your problem with referencing: As always, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. The major theme of this book is distancing yourself from your mind's tendency to simplify forms into symbols; this is probably why you have so much trouble.

Another thing that helped me when I was first learning how to use references was using a grid overlay; you draw a grid over your reference, and then copy that grid next to it (or on another sheet of paper, whatever). You can make it bigger or smaller than the original, whatever works. Here's an example of what I mean:

There are two primary advantages to using a grid; the most obvious is the landmarks it creates, which really helps you relate parts of the drawing to eachother. The other is that it makes you really see what you are drawing -- when you're focusing on one square, you aren't focusing on the whole, and you're less likely to simplify things into symbols. You might want to start out with squares even smaller than the ones I've drawn; you'll eventually be able to move on to larger and larger squares until you eventually don't need the grid at all (or you can visualize it without actually drawing it, which is just as effective). One thing you do need to look out for, though, is that you do make sure what you've drawn does work together as a whole; it's a manner of balancing the isolationism of the squares and the totality of the whole piece.
Big fan of you, and I know you say this alot about blushing furres.. But keep in mind that even though it's not possible for blush to show on furres, it's very common in many furre drawings. In fact, some furres have tattooes! I know one of my all-time favorite furre artist, Amanda Payne, does it, and she makes alot of money for her artwork. So even though it's not possible, I don't see what it hurts. It's all imaginary anyway..
Just a pet peeve, that's all. I like there to be some semblance of logic in artwork, even if it isn't strictly realistic or "possible". I only bring it up because the vast majority of the people who do this really don't realize how illogical it is; most of the time, it's something they've copied or picked up without really thinking about it. Obviously, Mewstara can ignore what I say and keep doing whatever she pleases if she disagrees.
Just to add to this, the character is also more humanistic then furre in appearance other then the obvious skin tone difference, ears and a nose.  But have you asked the artist is the character even HAS fur?  This is an assumption based on you assuming ever furre has fur to begin with when many artists prefer a humanistic representation of anthros that may or may not even have fur at all, making the skin pigmentation changes based on blood circulation and everything irrelevant.
A lot of the figures she's drawn were commissions for other characters that clearly have fur, so she's either being a bad illustrator or putting blush over fur ::) "Latex fur" is another thing that bothers me about some furry art, but I'm not going to get into that.
tl;dr: Just because you feel one way about something doesn't mean the world has to bend to your rules. Suggest it, don't imply as if it's the only way. If everyone had to draw like you did the world would be one hell of a boring place to be.
There are many ways to draw, but there is only one good way to learn. I am not suggesting that she need to become a photorealistic painter, but she has to know how if she really wants to improve.

You wouldn't tell me that Picasso and Monet's work look exactly alike, but I know for a fact they learned the exact same way -- from life. Whether you intend to draw anime or impressionism or photorealism or comic books, you need to understand how life works before you delve into stylization and simplification. Everything is based upon life. Everything. If you do not understand it, you will not be a successful artist.

If you've noticed, this is the only thing I say artists must do to succeed. I don't tell them what school they must go to or what medium they must use. I don't tell them how many hours they must spend each day or what methods they must use to construct their figures. The only important thing is that you understand how the world around you works. Do whatever works for you as long as you acknowledge the importance of being able to draw what you see.

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #11: February 19, 2009, 10:26:07 PM»
Thank you Adielle. I really really think going to those classes would help me. I'm looking into it, but alas its very hard right now with the finances, especially now that me and my husband are going to have a baby. I do have a few books that I have right now from my best friend that are really good. I'm just trying to apply that all to my style. I honestly just want to draw happily, with good anatomy, but my own cartoony style. And maybe throw in some realism on the side. I'll try to get that book! Maybe with my tax money x3 I think I'll try to do realism for the next few weeks and see where it gets me. None of which will be posted because...I don't know I just don't like how my realism comes out =x even with refs it always comes a little off.....

And please Matter, I would appreciate in your posts if you wouldn't be rude.

A lot of the figures she's drawn were commissions for other characters that clearly have fur, so she's either being a bad illustrator or putting blush over fur Roll Eyes "Latex fur" is another thing that bothers me about some furry art, but I'm not going to get into that.

Thanks for the lowblow.

But I highly understand what you mean. I do not understand how everything works, and am striving to work on it. Most of the stuff I even post are just things I whip up. My realism attempts, and other works are all kept at home, and in my computer. Believe it or not, I went to painting classes and did realistic paintings. Too bad I forgot about those classes, but still. I have some old kickass art from that.

I'm VERY VERY uneasy about the grid thing.. To me thats almost like tracing. So heavily referencing it isn't even your art anymore...If I do try that I will keep it to myself as well...=\

Offline Adielle

«Reply #12: February 19, 2009, 10:33:10 PM»

A lot of the figures she's drawn were commissions for other characters that clearly have fur, so she's either being a bad illustrator or putting blush over fur ::) "Latex fur" is another thing that bothers me about some furry art, but I'm not going to get into that.

I didn't really look at every single piece, my comment was purely based around this piece.  I know its weird and not probable for a furre to have the redness of their knees showing through, but its a stylistic choice.  Some people will like it, others will hate it.  I do however agree, before fully stylizing its best to get work on realism and figure drawing, but if this is simply how she enjoys coloring in a cartoony piece, then who's to say she's wrong?  Some people will enjoy this because they like cutesy art and once she has anatomy down better, she'll be able to fetch a much better price for her artwork.  Of course, improving ones-self as an artist is the most important bit.  If you don't WANT to improve or don't take the steps to do so, you'll never get far in the art world, but thats regurgitated so much that by no, every artist should know that as common sense.  

I'm kinda going on and on here, but what I'm basically getting at is that, if this dislike for "red knees" on furres was because the image was realistic and realistically shouldn't be drawn like that, it would be different.  However, even if its technically *wrong*, this is a cartoony style she's using and therefore you have a few more options for coloring that you wouldn't have in a realistic picture.  Whether other people like those choices for coloring is up to them.  If she wants to change and improve upon that, its her choice, or if she prefers to keep a more cutesy, red kneed character, its again, her choice.  I think first and foremost she needs to work on anatomy and it will really help her improve her stylized work, but coloring can come later when she's tackled everythign else and if she feels it needs to be changed.  If you have a vendetta against furre artists who use red to make a blushing look on various parts of the body, don't simply pick at one girl over it.

My Gallery.

Sesruc

«Reply #13: February 19, 2009, 10:35:36 PM»
there's no harm in keeping things to yourself, mew. so don't feel bad that not everything you do has to be exposed. in fact, a -lot- of sketches and studies by many artists aren't publicly displayed.

referencing (heavy or not) is completely different from tracing.

IPGD

«Reply #14: February 19, 2009, 10:44:34 PM»
Thanks for the lowblow.
What? If you are putting blush over fur, the whole "being a bad illustrator" thing doesn't apply. If you are drawing everything with "recolored skin", you're changing things about your commissioner's character. That is not a symptom of good illustration :p I draw all of my personal furry work with "normal" legs, but if someone commissions me for a piece and all of the reference pictures he shows me have digitigrade legs, I'll draw his character with digitigrade legs.
I'm VERY VERY uneasy about the grid thing.. To me thats almost like tracing. So heavily referencing it isn't even your art anymore...If I do try that I will keep it to myself as well...=\
It's more of a practice method than anything. Its purpose is to, again, distance you from the mind's tendency to simplify forms into symbols. You will eventually learn how to reference without the grid, but it helps to have a little booster when you're just starting out. It's sort of like using training wheels, I guess. You can always brute force it and attack the image at its whole, but that really can be frustrating when you aren't particularly good at it :p Again, the book I linked outlines the more "traditional" practices and exercises you can use to learn to reference, but the grid method was what personally worked for me.
I know its weird and not probable for a furre to have the redness of their knees showing through, but its a stylistic choice. 
Again, it's my opinion. If she disagrees with me, nobody is forcing her to listen.

Offline Lassa

«Reply #15: February 19, 2009, 10:45:30 PM»
In response to Matter's posts, I would like to point out that I did not begin with drawing realistically, I started with anime. I find it was actually quite a good base, since it's easier to make simpler forms look good than detailed realistic ones. Nowadays, of course, I can easily do realism and I do quite enjoy it (though you wouldn't know it by looking at my dA gallery XD) but everyone learns a different way and acting as if drawing realism is the only way to improve really isn't necessary. Of course, knowing proper anatomy -is- necessary, but you don't have to apply that knowledge to realism.

Mew, I think your art is quite cute, though I think you would benefit from trying to use more direct lightsources. Your anatomy honestly isn't awful in the least, though it could use a bit of work; everyone always has room to improve. c:
And a baby? O: congrats, and I wish you two the best of luck!

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #16: February 19, 2009, 10:46:04 PM»
Matter, could you, for once offer a critique and not punch people in the gut while you do so? Mew hasn't done anything to you to deserve this.

Besides that, your artwork has a LOT of flaws in them as well - some things that you are bashing people like Mew over, you can't even accomplish it yourself. While you don't need to be able to draw perfect in other to give critique, you haven't earned any right yet with your own art to degrade others, so stop it already.

The value of your crits would rise with a tenfold if you stopped making these underhanded remarks masked by the illusion of 'helping'. You're not helping, you're just putting down other to feel better about your own mistakes. Even if you say that's not true, that's definitely how it's coming across.

Again, it's my opinion. If she disagrees with me, nobody is forcing her to listen.

Your opinion can be brought in a way where it's not insulting. If insulting people isn't your intentions, maybe you should step away from art and brush up on your social skills some.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:47:48 PM by Lovedoll »

IPGD

«Reply #17: February 19, 2009, 11:08:49 PM»
I would like to point out that I did not begin with drawing realistically, I started with anime.
No offense or anything, but you can tell. Your work has a lot of problems reminiscent of people who started with anime.
Besides that, your artwork has a LOT of flaws in them as well - some things that you are bashing people like Mew over, you can't even accomplish it yourself. While you don't need to be able to draw perfect in other to give critique, you haven't earned any right yet with your own art to degrade others, so stop it already.
I know I'm terrible and I know what I need to do to improve. That alone more than qualifies me to give critique. As long as you understand these two things, you could be shittier than a baboon's ass and still make a decent critic. The possession of knowledge and the ability to apply that knowledge have little to do with eachother ::)

I know better than to get into one of your pointless, cyclical arguments, so let's move this back on topic, shall we?

grimfaefly

«Reply #18: February 19, 2009, 11:20:16 PM»
Alright, firstly.. Mew, your work is adorable and as many have said, improvement in anatomy/coloring WILL help increase the amount you can ask for with commissions. If you have a style you like, stick with it but there's no harm in improving other things.

And to Matter.. FURRIES. Crickey, that in itself leaves so much gray area, I mean c'mon, animals walking on two fricking legs. FURRIES AREN"T REAL so people can interpret them anyway they want. Given that, it's unfair that your opinion should be law, at least that's how you come across. You might feel blushing/tattoos/whatever don't belong but don't make others feel stupid because they chose to use them.

While I do admire the fact you offer stellar sources and tutorials I think you really need to leave the attitude at the door. I agree about not ass-patting people but don't go to the other side of the spectrum and be a total jerk about it either. I know I'd be more willing to listen and TAKE advice from someone who said 'You need to work on this, this, and this, here's a tutorial' over someone who said 'You're a joke, screw animu, ME THIS ME THAT'. What might work for you might not work for everyone else. Please try to lighten up a little, otherwise you have such potential to be incredibly helpful. <3

Offline Lassa

«Reply #19: February 19, 2009, 11:22:12 PM»
I would like to point out that I did not begin with drawing realistically, I started with anime.
No offense or anything, but you can tell. Your work has a lot of problems reminiscent of people who started with anime.

I would appreciate it if you didn't judge my skills from what you've seen in my gallery, I don't upload my serious art to the computer because I have no reason to.

Offline Zim

«Reply #20: February 19, 2009, 11:25:30 PM»
If you guys can't keep from turning this into a flamewar, I am going to have to deal with you all accordingly.

Play nice or get the fuck out.

grimfaefly

«Reply #21: February 19, 2009, 11:33:29 PM»
Back to the original topic, I'd say right now 5-7 is pretty fair for something like that Mew! Out of everyone's posts, hopefully you found some advice useful and it will pan out for you hun. Also, congrats on the babeh, how far along are ya?

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #22: February 19, 2009, 11:37:27 PM»
Thanks guys. Throughout the little rude remarks here and there, I did get a lot to think about and to work on :3 I really hope to improve. And I'm not pregnant yet, me and my husband are trrrying to have a baby. Haha. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

grimfaefly

«Reply #23: February 19, 2009, 11:38:44 PM»
Ooooh! Well, good luck then? That sounds so.. awkward x.x

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #24: February 19, 2009, 11:39:54 PM»
Hahahahahahaha XDDD

anything