turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Prices prices prices please!  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Heimdall

Prices prices prices please!
«: February 25, 2009, 07:37:33 PM»
In an attempt to be more professional and to help my skills develop, I'm going to be doing all of my character art lineless, shaded, in some pose more dynamic than just standing around, and with some semblance of background. (Might be full, or just a design, depending on the commission.) This takes way longer, but it looks better (and more professional, whatever that means). And I hope that as I get more used to it, I'll be able to pump things out a bit faster.

So, 1) how much would you pay for character art like this? and 2) any crits on my shading style/character art? Not so much on the individual pieces; just in general. :) Though point out examples on these if you need to--I know of some of the issues in these, but some I've probably overlooked.

Example time! These are all in my gallery but I figure it'd be easier for y'all to just drop them here.

Here's a piece with the "design" style of background rather than the full painted one:

details linked on the deviation: http://vorpalmuse.deviantart.com/art/Cleric-of-Boron-119981282

Here's another with the "design" background.

details linked on the deviation: http://vorpalmuse.deviantart.com/art/Wolfshriek-120620164

Just a solid-color background, but it's a portrait!

Fully painted background.

details linked on the deviation: http://vorpalmuse.deviantart.com/art/We-re-Being-Attacked-115129076

Body type, species, and expression aren't a problem--I can generally work with whatever character type you toss at me. You can check my other character art in my gallery. http://vorpalmuse.deviantart.com
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:04:36 AM by VORPALMUSE »

Sesruc

Re: Lineless or lined?
«Reply #1: February 25, 2009, 09:03:04 PM»
i think you should try lineless.
but also! remember to take into account the lighting that you have. light bounces and reflects off other objects around a character.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #2: February 25, 2009, 09:26:42 PM»
but also! remember to take into account the lighting that you have. light bounces and reflects off other objects around a character.

Yes, I know. Especially since the walls in this castle have a lot of silver in the stone, so it's reflecty. I haven't started shading the figure yet. =P

I'm gonna try lineless, though!

And yeah, Youlanda, the edges are really rough since I slapped quickie flats in there. I'm refining them now, and hopefully they'll look more natural once they're shaded!

Offline Piosa

«Reply #3: February 25, 2009, 10:20:08 PM»
Sorry my mind is else where when I think line less I always think of that one way to color that looks like paper cut outs. Your obviously digitally painting this so yeah line less.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #4: February 25, 2009, 10:53:20 PM»
Lineless. Sometimes you can get away with lines but not here.

IPGD

«Reply #5: February 26, 2009, 12:04:51 AM»
Lineless; when faced with a stylistic choice, always go for the one you don't usually do. Practice is key.

If it doesn't work out that well in the end, you can always put the lines back on without much trouble.

Offline ReiYukihana

«Reply #6: February 26, 2009, 04:43:02 AM»
Lineless; when faced with a stylistic choice, always go for the one you don't usually do. Practice is key.

If it doesn't work out that well in the end, you can always put the lines back on without much trouble.

This.  Also, I really think the lineart you've got going on right now would be way too noisy with the background having as much detail as it does.  It works better in the piece you linked because it's background-less. XD  Generally when you want to work with something with as much information as that sketch/lineart combo style, you have to become very purposeful about how you balance everything in a piece.  To make it work here the background would have to become highly subdued, and you'd ideally want some really ace color depth on your character.

Offline Heimdall

Re: Help with final touches on this piece.
«Reply #7: March 04, 2009, 04:24:31 AM»
Thanks for the tips, guys. I ended up painting it. I updated the original post to ask for help with finishing touches. :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:32:41 AM by VORPALMUSE »

Offline Lassa

Re: Help with final touches on this piece.
«Reply #8: March 04, 2009, 09:17:33 AM»
the only thing i'm really noticing is that right now the top of the shirt collar looks like it's quite a bit farther forward than the neck/head.. maybe try blending the two a little, or changing the shading on the neck?

Offline Heimdall

Re: Which looks better?
«Reply #9: March 09, 2009, 03:17:26 AM»
Updated! :D

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #10: March 09, 2009, 08:24:24 AM»
I like the red one best. It enhances the already horror-esque appearance of your character.

IPGD

«Reply #11: March 09, 2009, 11:17:33 AM»
If you don't want to change anything, go with the blue. If you want to make the red work, you should probably do one of two things:

1. Significantly increase the amount of red in the rest of the image to create better tonal unity:

2. Make it more clear the red is only a secondary light source by changing the background back to blue (I'd go with this one):

As is now, it looks a little more awkward than contrast-y.

Offline Cowboy

«Reply #12: March 09, 2009, 12:05:04 PM»
I agree with Matter's post and I love the blue with red light idea.

but as for the two you have up there, I like the red.
"You can't be gay and in a western, especially in Wyoming." she said, "Plus there weren't any gay people back in 1963."

Offline Jade Ravenwing

«Reply #13: March 09, 2009, 12:12:17 PM»
I like the red lighting with blue background. :3

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #14: March 10, 2009, 06:17:19 PM»
Man, Matter, you point out stuff that I wouldn't have thought of in a billion years!
Thanks for your input everyone! I'll be going with a cool background. I was planning on making some kind of background other than just a flat color (these flatcolors were placeholders), but I WAS gonna use warm colors until y'all suggested otherwise.

Also, updated the main topic. e_e I feel like a schmuck changing it all the time.

Offline Cormallen

Re: Pricing help: custom leathercraft?
«Reply #15: March 10, 2009, 07:11:03 PM»
Ooo, I know a few who'd go ga-ga over that leafy leather pouch--you'd better hide it before they come and lick them like I would've. ;D

Want me to go put them in touch with yas?
Swords: A greatsword is not a one-handed weapon. A greatsword is not fast. If it is fast, it means it's made of paper mache' and will break upon striking anything.

Randomat twirls two greatswords, one in each hand.
GM: Randomat's hands fall off.

--from the Leirune RP Guide

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #16: March 10, 2009, 07:31:09 PM»
Thanks guys!

Youlie, Emmie did like it--I showed her the leaf flap after I finished it and she was pleased.

And sure, Cormallen! As I stated in my OP, I'm not ready to take commissions, though it'd be nice to see what folks would be willing to offer. :D

Offline r i l e y

«Reply #17: April 01, 2009, 12:55:06 PM»
http://etsy.com/

<3
Fantastic work by the way!

Offline Heimdall

Re: Price/crits?
«Reply #18: April 21, 2009, 01:16:39 AM»
Shoopdate!

Offline Heimdall

Re: Price/crits and perspective help?
«Reply #19: April 22, 2009, 11:28:53 AM»
Um, I updated again! Still looking for opinions on both.

[edit] Narf, fixed image. ><
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:34:39 AM by VORPALMUSE »

Offline Heimdall

Re: Price/crits and perspective help?
«Reply #20: April 25, 2009, 02:44:08 AM»
Thanks Youlie! Yes, the back wing on the raven pic is really skewed. It looked even more warped in the lineart. When I got rid of the lines it was easier to do a semi-fix.

The left arm on the perspectivy one is a wee bit long. I've shortened it. You're right about the legs look a bit weak... I made them straighter and more obvious that they're foreshortened heavily. It works now, though the shins and feet are still messing me up.

Do you have any pricing ideas?

Offline Heimdall

Re: Prices prices prices please!
«Reply #21: April 27, 2009, 11:06:30 AM»
That is awesome~! Thank you. Still very much looking for price ideas though! Updated main post.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #22: April 28, 2009, 03:24:31 PM»
I really enjoy your artwork. I might be be willing to pay as much as Youlie, but I certainly think your work would be worth the upper end of $20 to $40. However, take my pricing with a grain of salt as I'm not huge in the art buying scene.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Tate

«Reply #23: April 28, 2009, 03:26:07 PM»
Agreeing with Narn and Youlanda. YEY I CONTRIBUTED. notrilly

Sesruc

«Reply #24: April 28, 2009, 03:57:04 PM»
feathers look nice.
as stated already a stable 20. i'm glad you're ambitious enough to not be afraid of trying out dramatic poses and perspective.

some things that you may want to remember is that the eyes are usually set level at the middle of the skull. i'm sure you know this.

and honestly what's hindering me from pricing this at $40 is the way your folds/drapery is done. a lot of them seem unnecessary especially on the one with the man reaching out. the effect you've exhibited there makes it look like his dress shirt and pants look like huge bendy parts of those bendy straws. if that kind of effect is what you were shooting for, then ignore me on this.

anything