turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: crit & pricing  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Booker

crit & pricing
«: March 01, 2009, 12:50:23 PM»
hi guys.
i want to start taking commissions for some different kinds of pics. i don't really want to charge a lot, because i don't think pics like these are worth a ton.

first up: knees/waist up thick lined, flat colored pictures.
examples:

character belongs to $kye.

character belongs to jenni.
3GD? i know i don't have good pose and expression variation, especially since i only have two pics lol. i'm hoping that if i take commissions i can have more specific info. these were just for the doodle above you thread, but i like drawing them. the lineart will probably be a lot cleaner, like in jenni's.

fullbody thinner, more detailed lineart.
only one example, character belongs to chris

uhh 4GD? i can flat color these as well, and i'll try and get more examples up.

and finally, refs. 7-10 GD? these take a lot of time and effort.

(they will NOT be in .jpg format)

this one is older, and was bought by worm. idk what happened to the remapped nude ver. but refs will have 4 pics, like the first one.

opinions? i know my art isn't the best, so crit is helpful. and i take crit well so don't be shy (not that any of you are.)

Offline $kye

Re: crit & pricing
«Reply #1: March 01, 2009, 01:01:59 PM»
only 3 gd?? thats cheap. id think 5 for the ones that arent even full body cuz theyre really nice and your flat coloring is amazing. maybe like 7+ for full bodies then and like 10+ for refs. as i fail at pricing

Offline Jenni

«Reply #2: March 01, 2009, 01:06:34 PM»
whoa are you kidding me
i say like 5 for the knees up
10 for full body
and like 15-20 for the ref man

Offline chris

«Reply #3: March 01, 2009, 01:12:04 PM»
whoa are you kidding me
i say like 5 for the knees up
10 for full body
and like 15-20 for the ref man
i agree with jenni, your art is worth a lot more than you think it is.

Offline Booker

«Reply #4: March 01, 2009, 01:22:21 PM»
THANK YOU GUYSSS
anything i can improve on??

Offline Sabaton

«Reply #5: March 01, 2009, 01:41:47 PM»
Dude, you seriously don't charge enough!
lol

I think 5 for knees up
7-10 for full body sketches and I'd add like 3-5 more for color
and at LEAST 15 for the refs
Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #6: March 01, 2009, 02:10:20 PM»
THANK YOU GUYSSS
anything i can improve on??

yes. i notice in all your art you make the legs too short. try fixing that??

Offline Booker

«Reply #7: March 01, 2009, 02:14:28 PM»
ty & yeah, i noticed that. in the future i think i'm going to try and find a good way to size them so they look proportionate.

Sesruc

«Reply #8: March 01, 2009, 03:20:59 PM»
like everyone says, you're selling your art short

something like the fullbody lineart you did for chris can take in -well- over 4 GD. 10 might still be low with all the detail you include.

and maybe a little something to help with leg length
note that the length of the torso+head = length of legs:

Offline Booker

«Reply #9: March 01, 2009, 03:36:01 PM»
thanks sesruc! that really does help n_n

IPGD

«Reply #10: March 02, 2009, 05:29:31 PM»
too tired to write a full crit, but stop hiding hands like that

Offline Booker

«Reply #11: March 02, 2009, 05:57:03 PM»

LOL yeah i was waiting for someone to point that out, trying to do better.

Offline Cormallen

«Reply #12: March 02, 2009, 06:17:51 PM»
LOL yeah i was waiting for someone to point that out, trying to do better.
I was hoping I wasn't alone in my thoughts! ;D

But, yeah... hands are a b3th to do sometimes. You'll do well with art studies of the human hand--it's really not that hard, it's just all that fiddly little details like fingers...
Swords: A greatsword is not a one-handed weapon. A greatsword is not fast. If it is fast, it means it's made of paper mache' and will break upon striking anything.

Randomat twirls two greatswords, one in each hand.
GM: Randomat's hands fall off.

--from the Leirune RP Guide

Offline ReiYukihana

«Reply #13: March 04, 2009, 10:38:10 PM»
Holy crap, double thumbs up.  XD  Your stuff looks really confident, and your experience with your style shows. 

You are pricing too low.  Well executed pics.  I'll also back up the issues listed here: the legs are just a bit over the line of too short.  I'd work on that as mentioned, but I want to add that I would experiment with not going a WHOOLE lot longer.  I'd like it if you could keep the legs short looking but also believable and workable, as that slightly stunted look can be charming when you get the altered proportions working right.  Just don't jump off to a super-model, super-long-legged look because they were a smidge too short before. ;)

WTH are you hiding your hands anyway?  In that mohawk pic, well, that -one- hand is awesome.  Shapely; omnom.  Draw them moar.

Aside from that, I dunno.  The very first pic, I guess I could nitpick that that dood looks like he's got a pointy shoulder, and a flat butt.  The girl in the second one has a weird skull-shape thing going on.  But like most of your other issues, they're just nitpicks; not deal breakers.  You've got a solid set.

Offline Glory

«Reply #14: March 24, 2009, 09:53:36 PM»
If you price anything low any longer... I am personally going to stalk you down in Furcadia and beat you.
I usually tell people to charge a price that, no matter what they think, is enough to buy the artist a nice treat at the end of your hard work. So I'd say the least you should charge is 10 gd (or whatever you take) and then only improve off that price, never get tempted to go lower (unless you are holding a special or need fast GD QUICK ONLY). I usually tell this to artists that are a little past starting out that they have a change of getting commissions for this much, not great artists like you that keep pricing low because they are insecure. You're doing great, so exploit your talent!
I don't have any anatomical pointers that haven't bee said before.