turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Portrait Pricing Help.  (Read 930 times)

Erde

• Topic Author
Portrait Pricing Help.
«: March 03, 2009, 12:47:44 AM»
Yeah, I'm gonna jump on that band-wagon too.

I have two different style of portraits now, and I'm wondering how I should price each style.

Here's the first: A bit sketchier/less clean.

The other style is my traditional, cleaner-lined ones.

How much do you think they're both worth? I've currently got them priced $5 for the first style, and $7-$10 on the second.

Offline La-la

Re: Portrait Pricing Help.
«Reply #1: March 04, 2009, 03:28:23 PM»
impo, 3 GD for the first, 5 GD for the second.

Erde

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: March 04, 2009, 05:43:57 PM»
impo, 3 GD for the first, 5 GD for the second.

Thanks for the input. Anything you think I could work on to get it up to the price I posted?

Erde

• Topic Author
«Reply #3: March 04, 2009, 06:04:57 PM»
With a bit of practice you could get there, but it's not something that'll come quick.

Obviously.  I've been doing ports since 2004, and compared to those this is maaaajor progress.  I'm just wondering if maybe it's how simple the backgrounds are, anatomy, shading, or maybe a little bit of everything.

I personally think I've gotten much better at all but backgrounds, and I've charged the same, if not, LESS than what I used to.

Offline La-la

«Reply #4: March 04, 2009, 10:00:23 PM»
i say anatomy, poses and background, but i HAVE seen you do a lot better ports than these! try posemaniacs.com for some good poses, always try to use references for your ports, it works wonders.

Erde

• Topic Author
«Reply #5: March 04, 2009, 11:23:47 PM»
It's hard for me to really put my finger on exactly what element could be focused on to be improved or I would have said more.

I mean the torsoish one seems to have, in terms of head height, a decent proportion going on. You've got a somewhat consistent light source (not perfect but still). Something still feels odd.

In comparison to some of your other work, these two don't seem to have the same appeal--The difference seems to be some of your other ways are 'classic portraits' head and shoulders. These ones you're doing full front, just the head in one and one that has more of a body.

When people want body portraits, I think they're looking for 'sexy curvy', so seeing an unshapely figure who feels kinda straight up and down instead of sexy curvy may be what's throwing it all off.

The size of the smiles, which seem well shaded, verses the size of the eyes, make the mouth have a lot of emphasis and make the eyes feel a little small and creepy.

That's all I can really compose of my thoughts right now. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Figuring out exactly what it is will probably hit me like a brick in a few days.

The top one was just a quick 10 minute ordeal, and yes, I agree the other one is lacking a bit as far as figure.  It's also a bit older and I hadn't referenced it, so that doesn't surprise me too much (the person also wanted it to be a boy to start.. lots of flaws going on with it).  I also like to vary how much is shown in the portrait, but I do agree the head/shoulders work best.

As you said, La-La, I am using posemaniacs much more now: I used it for the port I use as my icon here (which I think turned out great anatomy-wise. Can't say much about shading since I didn't do it), and a few of my traditional pieces.

Thank you both very much for the input.  Maybe once I get some more recent ports with references up, it'll help out a little more for deciding.

edit: I guess I should also note I am only selling the second one for 5GD... so I guess I should get different ports up I'd charge more for. But I think I will lower the auto-buy for my character design/where the first port came from.

Offline Azula

«Reply #6: March 05, 2009, 04:34:43 AM»
i think what seems kinda awkward is your choice of linestyle. it's probably just me because i like lines on ports unless it can be executed rather nicely and still keep the character all together. tbh your choice of line style just makes it look.. weird. not to be rude or anything ~___~

and there's something about that :3 kinda muzzle you're doin.. idk.. it's fucking 1:30 in the morning i'll be useful l8r

Offline La-la

«Reply #7: March 05, 2009, 11:47:22 AM»
i think the port you did for your icon looks great. why don't you try asking someone to redline what you think may need help with, that way you can get a better idea of what you may need help on?

Erde

• Topic Author
«Reply #8: March 05, 2009, 03:03:14 PM»
Thank you guys very much for the input. I think I have a good idea of some things I can focus on the next time I work on a port (hopefully this weekend).

I think for now I will lower my prices, but price them in between, so 4 and 6, because these aren't my best but there are obviously some reoccuring things I need to work on.

I'll get some cleaner versions up once I get the time.

anything