turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pricing help, please.  (Read 2311 times)

Offline wynter

Pricing help, please.
«: March 06, 2009, 12:00:21 AM»
I AM NOT LOOKING FOR PORTFOLIO CRITIQUE. I am simply looking for agreements or disagreements on what I think are fair pricings for my sketches, full bodies, and ref sheets. Nothing more.

Right now I have sketches at $5. Sketches take me anywhere from 10 minutes to a half hour, and I think at that price I would probably offer bust or full body sketches. They probably wouldn't be coloured, or flat coloured.

I have full bodied drawings like these prices at $10. They're mostly flatcoloured and take me anywhere from an hour to four hours.

Refs I have at $15, they'll be a little more clean than this. Includes special details on markings, a full body, and a couple headshots. They take me from an hour to four hours.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:35:52 AM by wynter »

Offline wynter

Re: Pricing help, please.
«Reply #1: March 06, 2009, 02:42:50 PM»
plz :x

Offline ReiYukihana

«Reply #2: March 06, 2009, 06:20:24 PM»
Both your market and choice of content make it a bit tough for most to comment, I guess.  Ports are the easiest thing to comment on price-wise. ;P  I don't know what the competition is like for the feral market or whatever.  Your prices mostly seem about right...kind of? 

I would criticize (in the interest of pricing) that the lack of variety detracts from value here.  Not from any of the individual pieces, but from your body of art in general.  I guess to a degree you could use some more variety in your work/portfolio in general, as it only seems you have examples of one type of 'feral' animal here.  It doesn't devalue the individual pictures at all, but it does make me reassess how much I would be willing to commission you for.

Offline wynter

«Reply #3: March 07, 2009, 12:03:38 AM»
That seems more like personal portfolio critique than pricing, but thanks. I do have more examples, but these are the things I feel most comfortable taking commissions for, which is why I have more of them in my gallery. I do other things, realism and otherwise, but I feel since they take so long they aren't worth my time to take commissions for, that and some of those things are just hella hard. Honestly, I don't think doing what you're good at detracts from value, but adds to it - then again that may just be me.

Offline alexandra

«Reply #4: March 07, 2009, 11:05:19 AM»
Also, the time lapse between pictures does seem to prove difficult to price too seeing as that you don't draw that way any longer. But I'd price the pieces on the media you used since you seem to have a variety of examples up there. I'd go around 10-15 in general. P: But I really wouldnt price refs that high unless you've actually gotten business. It isn't about how long you take to actually get the piece done, it's about the quality. Though ,for that particular reference sheet (since it's mentioned that you did draw it for yourself) it'd be reasonable for $15 since you've included other angles. I hope I didn't make that too confusing for you lol. Good luck!

Offline ReiYukihana

«Reply #5: March 07, 2009, 01:15:13 PM»
That seems more like personal portfolio critique than pricing, but thanks. I do have more examples, but these are the things I feel most comfortable taking commissions for, which is why I have more of them in my gallery. I do other things, realism and otherwise, but I feel since they take so long they aren't worth my time to take commissions for, that and some of those things are just hella hard. Honestly, I don't think doing what you're good at detracts from value, but adds to it - then again that may just be me.

I thought that before posting, and really, I was only trying to critique as much as was relevant to pricing.  Simply put, commissioning somebody for a piece of work unseen means that you're paying them money based on their body of work, and if you listed only these works as your portfolio for commissions, I would honestly be iffy about paying you the prices you listed.

And I mean, I'm not even saying you need to show things other than ferals.  There just seems to be a lack of variety even in that category, as they all seem to be of one body type and one (general) species.  I'm not saying that's bad, or that you should do something different, or...anything.  But simply from the position of folks with artistic knowledge, I feel like it could be cause for you to get paid less, which seemed relevant as you were asking for pricing advice.

Again; I'm not saying you're a bad artist or that you should do something different.  Just how your current body of work would affect how much I'd personally commission you for.

Offline La-la

«Reply #6: March 07, 2009, 05:28:47 PM»
Are you capable of drawing in views other than profile?

.. she doesn't just have profile views up there, sooo i'd say yes.

i don't understand what you mean, rei. commissioning for work unseen. she had the things she'd take commissions for up there, i'm sure if she were offering commissions for humans or horses theh she'd have commissions on those, besides, if everything she posted was commissions, how can she help if they look alike? she's not going to draw someone a skinny thin dog if that's not what they want. i just don't understand what you're saying, if you're not saying she should broaden her portfolio >__>

Offline ReiYukihana

«Reply #7: March 07, 2009, 06:00:24 PM»
i don't understand what you mean, rei. commissioning for work unseen. she had the things she'd take commissions for up there, i'm sure if she were offering commissions for humans or horses theh she'd have commissions on those, besides, if everything she posted was commissions, how can she help if they look alike? she's not going to draw someone a skinny thin dog if that's not what they want. i just don't understand what you're saying, if you're not saying she should broaden her portfolio >__>

By work unseen I mean you're paying the artist to create an image that doesn't exist yet.  You're going off of their portfolio and reputation in judging how much to pay them.  And since pricing and portfolios are intimately linked, my opinion of pricing changes thusly.

I don't know the story behind these pieces all looking pretty similar, so whether it's because everyone really has just wanted just this type of stocky wolf or not...I don't think it much matters.  It still makes the body of work look a certain way, which still just makes me go, "Not sure if I would pay the listed prices or not."

Kinda again, I'm not saying she should greatly broaden her portfolio.  Just that if there were greater variety even among the types of ferals depicted, I think it would raise the value of her commissions.  Don't lookit me.  Maybe some skinny wolves after all.  Some dogs?  A panther?  I don't know.

I think I should re-note something I said in the first place.  I don't know jack about what the 'feral' market wants or what's going on in that crazy Furc land you kids love, so you can take my advice lightly seeing as I'm just trying to help out. o-o

But regarding that, it's just advice completely without any sort of bad intentions here.  There's no pressure here and you're open to do whatever you please concerning it.

Offline La-la

«Reply #8: March 07, 2009, 08:53:56 PM»
i wasn't trying to bash you, just simply.. trying to understand, really. doesn't everyone here pay artists to create images that don't exist yet, besides premades?

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #9: March 07, 2009, 09:51:43 PM»
I think the prices sound about right. :) If you're looking to fetch higher prices or want to draw in more clients though, you could try some of the following.

- Create a 'portfolio' of as many diverse subjects and drawings that you have, and keep filling it with new and interesting ones whenever you make a new one.
- Add some diversity to the poses.
- Only show recent samples of your work. Commissioners will want to commission you for the work you will be doing right now, not what you did 2 years ago. :) Your style and skill changes over the years, so if you want to portray an accurate representation of what you can do, try not to let the time lapse span over more than 6 months.

Nothing is mandatory, but people who keep an updated and organized portfolio have more chances to be commissioned and raise their prices than those who don't.

You might want to draw more of your personal characters rather than rely on commissions to fill up your samples, too. It's a bit of an unstable business, you never know when you get someone to commission you after all. :P

Offline wynter

«Reply #10: March 07, 2009, 09:57:27 PM»
I think the prices sound about right. :) If you're looking to fetch higher prices or want to draw in more clients though, you could try some of the following.

- Create a 'portfolio' of as many diverse subjects and drawings that you have, and keep filling it with new and interesting ones whenever you make a new one.
- Add some diversity to the poses.
- Only show recent samples of your work. Commissioners will want to commission you for the work you will be doing right now, not what you did 2 years ago. :) Your style and skill changes over the years, so if you want to portray an accurate representation of what you can do, try not to let the time lapse span over more than 6 months.

Nothing is mandatory, but people who keep an updated and organized portfolio have more chances to be commissioned and raise their prices than those who don't.

You might want to draw more of your personal characters rather than rely on commissions to fill up your samples, too. It's a bit of an unstable business, you never know when you get someone to commission you after all. :P

It feels like everyone is assuming these are the only pieces I've ever done >__> Thank you for the advice, though. Anyways, I was originally just asking for and still only want pricing critique, not portfolio critique, that's what I'm going to school for. I understand that kind of ties into pricing, but I'm mostly just looking for "Yes the prices sound right" or, "No, they don't" - I'm not really searching for feedback of any kind, positive or negative. I agree with everyone that there's lots of time lapses between things, but this is the first time in a while I actually have time for myself and others to draw and finish something that I can be satisfied with.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:43:45 PM by wynter »

Offline La-la

«Reply #11: March 07, 2009, 09:59:15 PM»
WELL ILU WYNNIE and yes i think your prices are just right. now finish my commission MACH SCHNELL.

Offline wynter

«Reply #12: March 07, 2009, 10:06:23 PM»
YES M'AM.

Offline Lovecraft

«Reply #13: March 07, 2009, 10:24:38 PM»
I don't really like feral stuff but i think these are fantastic! I think these really look like the wolven digo as far as anatomy goes and i think it sets your work apart from other feral artists. :3 I would easily pay 5-15 depending on the complexity, media, and shading involved. Keep up the good work!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #14: March 08, 2009, 05:09:11 AM»
It feels like everyone is assuming these are the only pieces I've ever done >__> Thank you for the advice, though. Anyways, I was originally just asking for and still only want pricing critique, not portfolio critique, that's what I'm going to school for. I understand that kind of ties into pricing, but I'm mostly just looking for "Yes the prices sound right" or, "No, they don't" - I'm not really searching for feedback of any kind, positive or negative. I agree with everyone that there's lots of time lapses between things, but this is the first time in a while I actually have time for myself and others to draw and finish something that I can be satisfied with.

I don't want to argue, but you can't realistically expect people to price artwork that is outdated and expect them to believe it will be accurate. :/ A portfolio doesn't just 'tie into pricing', your portfolio is entirely what defines your prices.

What's the point in pricing artwork you drew two years ago when your new stuff is better or simply different? That's why people are commenting on the lack of samples and the time spans in between them, and offer suggestions to build a better portfolio to reflect your recent art. I commission artists based on their most recent samples, not on what they did a couple of years ago. It's a pretty big key to doing commissions and ignoring it won't help your business. :c

Offline wynter

«Reply #15: March 08, 2009, 10:58:42 AM»
The only "outdated" examples I have are the ones below the full body ones, that's simply because I haven't had the patience or time to spend 6-8 hours on a piece in a while. That's why I don't have a set price on them, and was simply asking for opinion on prices of those pieces.

The other ones show a few outdated commissions but also some newer and recent ones. I'm not ignoring anything. If I had anything right now that was a full finished piece from recent times, then I would put it up. But I don't. I have family, school, blah blah, excuses, that have kept me busy for a while up until now, which is why I'm looking to do some commissions and add some more pieces to my gallery. I put up what *I* feel are my best pieces, and that doesn't mean that's ALL I have.

And AGAIN, I am not looking for anyone to argue with me. My portfolio is how it is, I like it and it's gotten me far, and all I'm looking for is an agreement or disagreement on what I think the art is worth, whether I did it a year ago or yesterday. I'm not looking for anyone's opinions past that.

Offline La-la

«Reply #16: March 08, 2009, 11:01:12 AM»
everyone on this site just finds reasons to bitch and argue, wynnie, it's nothing personal against you, they just don't like to listen >__>

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #17: March 08, 2009, 11:08:37 AM»
For all we know we might be way underpricing your stuff because your samples are so old. Nobody is looking to argue, we want to help. At least I do. It would be a shame to find out you've improved and we agreed to a ridiculously low price because of a drawing you did a few years ago.

Offline wynter

«Reply #18: March 08, 2009, 11:22:02 AM»
Only one of the examples of the ones I have priced are that old. But since it seems to be causing such a commotion, I'll swap it out. I appreciate the advice but these are the prices I feel are fair, and since no one else has disagreed I figure they are.

Offline wynter

«Reply #19: March 08, 2009, 11:36:15 AM»
There we go, all updated examples.

Sesruc

«Reply #20: March 08, 2009, 01:14:08 PM»
fair prices!
sketches may be a little cheap considering the different variations of complexity. for example, the second picture (that winged tiger) compared to the matan wolf beneath it would/should cost more.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #21: March 08, 2009, 01:28:24 PM»
.. See, that makes a world of difference. :o

I think your sketches should be 7-8 bucks a pop, they are pretty detailed.

The others should be $15 minimum, imo. Maybe a little more. They may not be in full detail, coloring wise but they're definitely worth more than 10. Not entirely sure about the refsheets, but I gather when cleaned up they'll be anywhere from $15 to $20.

So in general I think you're underpricing a little compared to what else there is out on the market.

Offline alexandra

«Reply #22: March 08, 2009, 04:55:06 PM»
Also, don't you already have your pieces priced or do you want them tweaked? P:

Offline La-la

«Reply #23: March 08, 2009, 05:33:59 PM»
from what i know she just wanted to make sure her prices weren't RIDICUOUSLY expensive for her style.

yeah but finish my commission woman.

Offline alexandra

«Reply #24: March 08, 2009, 06:25:18 PM»
Ohh i see.. well I think it's more suitable now.

IM TRYIN OMG

anything