turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pricing Help Would Be Awesome <3 (Super-Mega-Updated! >3)  (Read 1779 times)

Offline OdaLiske

Come September I'll be off into the big wide world for nine months of solid volunteer work! That means I've got to save up while I can, so that I'm able to afford souvenirs, long-distance calls back home, cheese, and non-generic brand tampons! Yay!

First! Coloured What-Nots:

(© Wednesday, WIP)

Next! Animals!:

(© Prisoner)

(Wip)

Finally, Some Sketches!:

A Lady

A Man

And Another Man

Critique and comments are great and very much appreciated, but I'd love it if you could suggest a price along with your C&C?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:15:15 AM by OdaLiske »

Offline Tate

Re: Pricing Help (And Maybe Some C&C) Would Be Awesome <3
«Reply #1: March 26, 2009, 04:13:52 AM»
Are those your only examples? It's hard to judge, with only one example per.

Offline OdaLiske

«Reply #2: March 26, 2009, 04:31:19 AM»
For the most part, I'm afraid. It's been a while since I've been in a drawing-mood, and much of that time has been spent getting used to a new tablet. I've got a photobucket here with a few older and unfinished pictures, but aside from that I'm still working on making more samples =(

Offline Tate

«Reply #3: March 26, 2009, 04:50:15 AM»
If you're just getting out of a rut, I'd suggest not taking commissions right away...but if you're sure it won't kill your will to draw, like I've noticed it does to a lot of people, then go ahead. xD Let's hope for the best.

The only thing I have to nitpick at in my sleepy state is the hair line on the second picture. I'm sure you did it like that because you're not sure what it'd look like without the ears there, but I think the hairline near the bottom should be moved back at a gradual angle, to look more natural. Or perhaps it'd look better and more natural if you had the line of her jaw and cheeks and other such facial features drawn, so it doesn't look so... weird, I guess would be the best way to put it.

Also, the tail could be placed as coming out higher, from the bottom of her spine just above the beginning of her bumcrack, instead of seeming to come out of her cheeks. UH that was awkward. Also, tail could use some fluff along its length's outer lines.

Since you seem to have an idea what anatomy is, and other such skills, I'd say try not to price anything under ten dollars. I'll let someone else tell you actual good prices, but that's my advice.

(Do you mind if I post a crappy quick redline to tell you what I mean?)

Offline OdaLiske

«Reply #4: March 26, 2009, 04:56:30 AM»
Of course not, go ahead. It's good timing - I'm just starting to line it properly, so I'll be able to fix those bits along the way =D

I'm actually thinking that I might ease my way into it with a premade or two, instead of an actual commission. I've got a bunch of ideas for character designs, and I'd much rather see someone else play them then have them lay around my brain collecting dust for any longer xP

Offline Tate

«Reply #5: March 26, 2009, 05:00:32 AM»

S'just general lines, don't take it as the word of god. I'd suggest only doing them in lightly, unless she's dieted a lot of her life and has completely depleted her facial fat. xD Also, if she has a lot of baby fat on her face, the cheek line could be much much more gentle and have only a little indication down into the side of the face, to show facial shape and not actual bone structure.

And it sounds like a plan.

I also like the way you drew her boobs. Yey for a lack of balloons!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:02:44 AM by Masha »

Offline OdaLiske

«Reply #6: March 26, 2009, 05:13:27 AM»
I see what you mean. It's really frustrating, for some reason I tend to have a difficult time with faces when I'm not drawing portraits. If the main focus is on the face I'm fine, but when it's not I tend to fall apart. I'll definitally work on that before I colour it.

Thank you for all your help! :D

Haha, there seems to be a consensus on that...

IPGD

«Reply #7: March 26, 2009, 04:03:24 PM»
While you clearly have a very good grasp of proportion, I think your understanding of the actual musculature and skeleton (and hands) could use some improvement:
i totally put that ear in the wrong place and it sort of defeats the point of the redline but i'll be damned before i'll be assed to fix it

Some notes I couldn't squeeze into the picture:

The pelvis seemed just a little too high -- I lowered it slightly and added a suggestion of waistline.

You have a very concave sort of thing going on with the limbs (particularly upper arms and her right thigh), which makes some of them look rather ill defined, as if the backs of the limbs lack muscle. The body has a very distinct "S" pattern in its shaping; I'd parrot the theory for you, but I honestly can't remember it well enough to explain it (I believe it's elaborated upon in Hogarth's "Dynamic Figure Drawing". also read bridgman he is jesus).

I would also recommend studying perspective and composition; the background in this piece is clearly an afterthought. Think of it less as a background and more as an important, interactive part of the entire work, even more so than the figure set in it. While I guess not many people here are going to bother to ask for one, it's important for your own personal (and professional) growth as an artist to be able to do it -- and as an added bonus, it certainly doesn't hurt your sense for spatial drawing.

You're on the right track, though. Keep going.

I'm not sure how I'd price you. A lot of what an artist is "worth" has to do with their ability to translate description onto a canvas, while capturing the essence of the character and request (read: not brutalizing and homogenizing all of the defining characteristics of the request into your "style"). Without any actual commissioned work to judge this by, people typically look to the range in character types you can depict; while I wouldn't say your gallery is samefaceish, it's not immediately obvious whether your this is because of a conscious effort to diversify or inconsistency. I say this mostly because of the lack of range in your body types -- your gallery is mostly idealized skinny women with little else. Can you draw fat women, masculine men, ugly people, old people, etc, or would you stumble if you ever received a commission for one? (Don't answer that -- show it in your work.)

Offline OdaLiske

«Reply #8: March 28, 2009, 05:36:29 PM»
Thanks for the redline! Those downloads are definitally going to help me.

The majority of the art in my gallery is actually commission work, or drawn on request for friends or in trades, as was the wolf girl (though some serious miscommunication screwed her up a bit xP). The pieces in my Photobucket all went over a lot better =D

Thank you for bringing up the lack of divercity in my gallery as well. I've added a couple new additions to my PB in the hopes of branching out a bit. I'm sure that I'd noticed on some level that I've pretty much been drawing the same thing over and over again, but since that's pretty much all I'm ever asked to draw, I guess I never really saw any reason to draw anything else. I'll definitally do my best to change that, now :)

Offline OdaLiske

Re: Pricing Help Would Be Awesome <3 (Super-Mega-Updated! >3)
«Reply #9: April 17, 2009, 12:15:38 AM»
Updated!

Offline Morgan

«Reply #10: April 17, 2009, 01:58:56 AM»
boy would i commission you hardcore.

Offline OdaLiske

«Reply #11: April 17, 2009, 02:36:46 AM»
Yay! That's great to hear =D

Any idea how much I could get away with charging?

Offline Morgan

«Reply #12: April 17, 2009, 02:52:19 AM»
i'd say 6-8 for a bust sketch and 7-12 for a fullbody.

prob around 15-20 color easy.

Offline Creek

«Reply #13: April 17, 2009, 05:26:27 AM»
i'd say 6-8 for a bust sketch and 7-12 for a fullbody.

prob around 15-20 color easy.

Offline Catticus

«Reply #14: April 17, 2009, 12:20:13 PM»
You definately have some skillz.  For a sketch of yours I'd pay around 10ish, for a full body colour image 15-20$.

Offline OdaLiske

«Reply #15: April 17, 2009, 12:48:44 PM»
Thanks, everyone! =)

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #16: April 17, 2009, 12:59:54 PM»
I really really really adore the mother and baby piece. 10-25$

Offline OdaLiske

«Reply #17: April 18, 2009, 12:20:41 AM»
Thank you! That's my favorite piece n.n