turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: STOP DRAWING IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR ART STOLEN! DUH!!!  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Tate

STOP DRAWING IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR ART STOLEN! DUH!!!
«: March 26, 2009, 10:29:32 AM»
Why, no, it wasn't me who put this in in depth. Lawl.

THIS WAS SUGGESTED FOR EVERYONE TO SEE THE IMAGES, NOT JUST YOU. Clearing that up.

Have a look at this gem...

This thread is about posting custom art in your desc background. When confronted about copyright issues this idea is very likely to cause,...

Here are some quotes:

This thread is not about copyright. If you want to start a thread about that, you are more than welcome to. If you keep posting about it on this thread though, your posts will continue to be deleted and you may be suspended from the forums. Read the forum rules please.

Not about copyrights at all. Copyrights have absolutely nothing to do with this thread. At all. Custom images have nothing to do with copyrights.... No way there's any logical reason to discuss it.

and if you're scared of art theft, then stop making art. Even in museums paintings aren't safe of art theft... in fact: It's even more dangerous (because people are taking pictures).

+

If you're so scared of art theft, then I really suggest to stop making art because you're overreacting, in my opinion. Stop making portraits/patches/whatever and nothing can happen. Problem solved?

It speaks for itself.

You know what is getting onto my nerves? Your argument of art theft ... There are CUSTOM portraits: Are you protesting against them because of art theft? It is the -same- thing. Are you annoyed by custom portrait? If not... why are you about custom desc-backgrounds? Yes, it IS the -same- thing. A custom piece of art... just behind your desc, not on your default portrait. Honestly, I find your art-theft argument ridiculous. If you don't want your art to be stolen: Don't publish it! If it turned out that you're all portrait artists ... then I'd just laugh because it is simply one and the same thing ...

It's ridiculous .... you're free to be against this, but I at least expect you to give a good reason which is logical. (Even if there was the option to make custom pictures: Nobody is forcing you to make such pictures)

I do not understand why this thread keeps moving to copyright issues and seems to be a magnet for abusive comments that push the limits of the forum rules. However, it stops here. The next person to bring up copyright on this thread gets suspended from the forums. I made it very clear early on that this thread was the wrong place for those comments and if you wanted to discuss copyright to do it on your own thread.

Oh, and apparently the OP was being ~~~abused~~~

The good quotes:

Everything Matter said.

Screaming at people "never to do art again" if you don't want it to be stolen is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. That clearly shows you are not a self-respecting artist. Why should the artist be punished for the wrongdoings of others? Why don't you just not steal the art in the first place?

Whatever, flame me if you want, but this topic just pissed me off so much. And I'm sure it will piss a whole lot of you off, too.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 01:45:01 PM by Masha »

Offline ADALEINE

Re: STOP DRAWING IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR ART STOLEN! DUH!!!
«Reply #1: March 26, 2009, 10:37:05 AM»
Wow. Way to take a topic and fucking ruin it by GOING WAY OFF COURSE. I don't think you should bring that shit over here, I'm sorry that's just my personal opinion; just because you were threatened with a suspension on those forums doesn't mean you can come over here and BAAAH about the idea. I'm saying that as a MEMBER of these forums, NOT AS A MODERATOR.

What if it's a CUSTOM IMAGEEEEEE. I think the OP in that thread was just making a suggestion. If it was only seeable by me, and not anyone else, there shouldn't bea problem.

Also, I think people should stay on topic in threads. IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

I GUESS NOT, BECAUSE I DIDN'T EVEN STAY ON TOPIC. Or did I? (:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:41:12 AM by CLEMENTINE »

Offline Tate

«Reply #2: March 26, 2009, 10:38:44 AM»
The image wasn't suggested for just you to see. Someone said it could be just for dreams or yourself, but it was suggested for out in the open. (Read all the posts saying they don't want to see the images. It's for public eye, not just yourself. Sorry if you were responding to just this post. xD I'll edit to make it clear.)

And I honestly don't care they threatened me with suspension (Though I do care about something else in their threats). This is actually seriously about the copyright thing, and how it's ~magically~ not on topic.

ohsnap was that sarcasm in there somewhere? xD
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:43:50 AM by Masha »

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #3: March 26, 2009, 10:42:20 AM»
I don't want to read all the posts because then I'll have to skim over everyone crybabyballing over WAAAAAAH STOLEN IMAGES, and I'm not going to fucking take five minutes out of my day off just to do that, but I will take a minute to reply to this thread.

Offline Sync

«Reply #4: March 26, 2009, 10:45:19 AM»
the only reason that thread went so off topic was because the poster was like
HEY BACKGROUND IMAGES
TO SHOW YOU WHAT I MEAN, I USED RANDOM PICTURES OFF GOOGLE
then everybody an their mothers started screaming copyrights even though mr shinichi just wanted to show what his idea would look like, not say use random pictures off google...

anyway um yeah that argument about not showing off art is pretty weak cause the point of art IS to show it off because it really has no other purpose... besides being art. yeah. i might be oversimplifying things but i'm def not saying art is bad, it's just not that... pratical? i guess? i mean i'm an artist too and do art just for fun.
rambling blehhh.

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #5: March 26, 2009, 10:46:30 AM»
im moving this out of freeforall talk

because its srs bzns yall DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DD:

Offline Tate

«Reply #6: March 26, 2009, 10:48:33 AM»
the only reason that thread went so off topic was because the poster was like
HEY BACKGROUND IMAGES
TO SHOW YOU WHAT I MEAN, I USED RANDOM PICTURES OFF GOOGLE
then everybody an their mothers started screaming copyrights even though mr shinichi just wanted to show what his idea would look like, not say use random pictures off google...

anyway um yeah that argument about not showing off art is pretty weak cause the point of art IS to show it off because it really has no other purpose... besides being art. yeah. i might be oversimplifying things but i'm def not saying art is bad, it's just not that... pratical? i guess? i mean i'm an artist too and do art just for fun.
rambling blehhh.

I believe copyright would have come up, anyway, even if it wasn't an obvious tick off in the first post.

Also, you're right. For the most part, art is a luxury, and something to show off. It does have some practical uses, though I'm not sure that's exactly art, or is it? Like, blueprints for making buildings is art, but I'm not sure it it's considered ~art~. Depends I guess.

lawl at Clem. #SO I guess it is worth discussion. Ahaha. I wasn't sure, personally, s'why I posted it in freeforall.

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #7: March 26, 2009, 10:55:22 AM»
EF is a dumbass, but I do think the OP had a point. Custom art behind the desc would be about the same as a portrait (with regards to theft etc.), and noone really bitches about portraits. They are nice things to have.

I do agree however that it would be annoying as hell and look v. gaudy and unprofessional.

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #8: March 26, 2009, 10:56:57 AM»
.. I lolled.

Isn't it enough that DEP already spend a lot of time and effort into removing artwork if you have proof and tried to resolve it on your own first? Even though they don't have to?

Whatever, flame me if you want, but this topic just pissed me off so much. And I'm sure it will piss a whole lot of you off, too.

Nope, doesn't piss me off. What does tick me off is when people who are butthurt and are silenced to keep them from continuing a rather useless debate take the topic to another forum to fulfill their argumentative needs and cause more drama.

People who say "don't post art if you don't want it stolen" are correct. It may be a crude statement, but it's true. If you don't show your art to anyone or anything in the world, that's when your art is as safe as it can get. If nobody knows it's there, nobody will be inspired or inclined to copy or steal it.

People will always be dicks about stealing art. If you've chosen to become an artist who publishes their artwork online, you accept the fact it may become exploited at one time or another. There is no magical cure. There is no prevention fix.

Oh wait.

Yes there is.

Don't publish your artwork online, irl, keep it safely hidden away in your double locked safe.

Offline Sabaton

«Reply #9: March 26, 2009, 11:02:27 AM»
....lol
Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Offline Tate

«Reply #10: March 26, 2009, 11:03:18 AM»
.. I lolled.

Isn't it enough that DEP already spend a lot of time and effort into removing artwork if you have proof and tried to resolve it on your own first? Even though they don't have to?

Nope, doesn't piss me off. What does tick me off is when people who are butthurt and are silenced to keep them from continuing a rather useless debate take the topic to another forum to fulfill their argumentative needs and cause more drama.

People who say "don't post art if you don't want it stolen" are correct. It may be a crude statement, but it's true. If you don't show your art to anyone or anything in the world, that's when your art is as safe as it can get. If nobody knows it's there, nobody will be inspired or inclined to copy or steal it.

People will always be dicks about stealing art. If you've chosen to become an artist who publishes their artwork online, you accept the fact it may become exploited at one time or another. There is no magical cure. There is no prevention fix.

Oh wait.

Yes there is.

Don't publish your artwork online, irl, keep it safely hidden away in your double locked safe.

Always ~devil's advocate~.

We accept the fact it may be stolen. But does it mean we're giving permission for it to be stolen? No. We do what we can to stop it from being stolen. To tell us to not even bother posting because other people are dicks is... Well, I'll have to ask if you like looking at art or not. Do you like looking at a plain screen with nothing pretty on it at all?

The point is how ignorant (or stupid, as they do know what they are saying, and are not saying it out of lack of knowing) the statement is, and how abusive it is.

And yes. Why yes I am posting it on here to discuss. Because the other forum does not allow for discussion or debate, on any logical basis or grounds. Your point is? :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:05:26 AM by Masha »

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #11: March 26, 2009, 11:17:18 AM»

We accept the fact it may be stolen. But does it mean we're giving permission for it to be stolen? No. We do what we can to stop it from being stolen. To tell us to not even bother posting because other people are dicks is... Well, I'll have to ask if you like looking at art or not. Do you like looking at a plain screen with nothing pretty on it at all?

The point is how ignorant (or stupid, as they do know what they are saying, and are not saying it out of lack of knowing) the statement is, and how abusive it is.

And yes. Why yes I am posting it on here to discuss. Because the other forum does not allow for discussion or debate, on any logical basis or grounds. Your point is? :D

My point stands. You're posting this to continue drama, not post something constructive. Because EF will suspend you if you continue it on the Furc Forums, so you come here because the mods aren't so strict on discussions. It's a very transparent approach.

DEP already helps people whose copyrights are violated. Though they don't have to, if you have proof of creation they will at least give it a shot at seeing what they can do. You agreed to the fact that they let you take responsibility for your copyrights when you installed the game. To complain about it now brings nothing.

The statement isn't ignorant or stupid. It's telling you that no matter WHAT you do to stop your art from being stolen, you can't secure it 100% from being stolen unless you never show it. It's that simple. What's there to discuss? You want people to enjoy your stuff, but you don't want them to abuse it. So you watermark it. What's stopping anyone from printing and tracing it then? The watermark? I doubt it.

Bitching about how people ruin the fun for you by stealing art and not being able to display it safely brings nothing.

This is just a complain thread, not a discussion thread. :)

Why should the artist be punished for the wrongdoings of others?

Because life's a bitch. If everyone played nice we wouldn't need rules.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:19:13 AM by Lovedoll »

Offline Tate

«Reply #12: March 26, 2009, 11:22:46 AM»

My point stands. You're posting this to continue drama, not post something constructive. Because EF will suspend you if you continue it on the Furc Forums, so you come here because the mods aren't so strict on discussions. It's a very transparent approach.

DEP already helps people whose copyrights are violated. Though they don't have to, if you have proof of creation they will at least give it a shot at seeing what they can do. You agreed to the fact that they let you take responsibility for your copyrights when you installed the game. To complain about it now brings nothing.

The statement isn't ignorant or stupid. It's telling you that no matter WHAT you do to stop your art from being stolen, you can't secure it 100% from being stolen unless you never show it. It's that simple. What's there to discuss? You want people to enjoy your stuff, but you don't want them to abuse it. So you watermark it. What's stopping anyone from printing and tracing it then? The watermark? I doubt it.

Bitching about how people ruin the fun for you by stealing art and not being able to display it safely brings nothing.

This is just a complain thread, not a discussion thread. :)

Gasp! Did you know I posted this in ~~freeforall~~? I didn't move it here. If you don't think it's a ~~discussion topic~~, tell the mods that. Actually reading the posts would have told you that. Now who's just here for drama?

Now if you'll take a look at the fact most of what was quoted was not, in fact, 'don't post ur art lolz!' but was, in fact, 'don't draw! lolz!'

And, also, I'm already going to be suspended, so I'm not dodging suspension. If you ~~must~~ know, I was sent a PM with them threatening the suspension, while using my alt names to address me. (Which I see a friend made a topic about after I told him. ... vv;;;; ) So I told them to shove it and suspend me all they want, and that I don't appreciate needless and blatant power abuse. ('ooo i know ur alt names lolz i have no reason to use dem in this letter i'm posting dem to show u mai powur lolz!!!!')

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #13: March 26, 2009, 11:28:01 AM»
....lol

Cross-posted from FAM:

Keeping this short and sweet for now.

This forum is for INTELLIGENT debate!

There will be NO FLAMING OF ANY KIND. Please keep your topics and replies well-thought and RELEVANT.

To elaborate:

If you have nothing intelligent to contribute, don't.

If you're going to just tl;dr a comment, don't reply.

Don't attack the person making the post; it means you've already lost the argument.

If you're going to post just for the sake of pushing buttons, don't post at all.

I will be more than happy to update these if the need arises.

Offline Azula

«Reply #14: March 26, 2009, 12:28:36 PM»
there is no such thing as relevance in this thread.

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #15: March 26, 2009, 12:29:21 PM»
ITT: no one fucking knows...

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #16: March 26, 2009, 12:46:34 PM»
Gasp! Did you know I posted this in ~~freeforall~~? I didn't move it here. If you don't think it's a ~~discussion topic~~, tell the mods that. Actually reading the posts would have told you that. Now who's just here for drama?

Now if you'll take a look at the fact most of what was quoted was not, in fact, 'don't post ur art lolz!' but was, in fact, 'don't draw! lolz!'

And, also, I'm already going to be suspended, so I'm not dodging suspension. If you ~~must~~ know, I was sent a PM with them threatening the suspension, while using my alt names to address me. (Which I see a friend made a topic about after I told him. ... vv;;;; ) So I told them to shove it and suspend me all they want, and that I don't appreciate needless and blatant power abuse. ('ooo i know ur alt names lolz i have no reason to use dem in this letter i'm posting dem to show u mai powur lolz!!!!')

...... And I lol again.

"Why yes I am posting it on here to discuss."

And hell, if you're upset because someone told you 'not to draw'... then this thread is even more pathetic than I thought.

Again, only posted cause you're butthurt. ::) And cause you couldn't lay your egg on the Furc forums anymore.

Offline Tate

«Reply #17: March 26, 2009, 01:09:01 PM»

...... And I lol again.

And hell, if you're upset because someone told you 'not to draw'... then this thread is even more pathetic than I thought.

Again, only posted cause you're butthurt. ::) And cause you couldn't lay your egg on the Furc forums anymore.

Are you....still going on?

We've established the fact I'm upset, I'm 'butthurt', blablabla. You're.... running around in circles. Saying the same things over and over again. Making no progress. Just wanking and bitching, 'UR BUTT HURT LOLZ HAHAHAHAA UR BUTTHURT LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I'M SMART I CALLED U BUTTHURT LOLZLOLZLOLZ I'M GONNA POST THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN BECAUSE I HAVE TO HAVE THE LAST WORD' Yeah. Uh huh. we get the point. Please to be shutting your face until you get something original. Besides, aren't you ~~ignoring~~ me? You delete all my messages and block all my alts and lie about it while you're at it. Pick a side, lady. Stick to it or shut the fuck up.

S'nice you talk about being pathetic. Must know a lot about it. Lawlz.

Worm-YOU ARE RIGHT. #SO If only more people could state something in one sentence, and not post after post after post after post after post... I like your style! C;

I have a meeting in a few hours and haven't had sleep. This is so good for keeping me awake. I love poking at ms beef flaps.

Offline La-la

«Reply #18: March 26, 2009, 01:42:49 PM»
is there any point to this thread

Offline Tate

«Reply #19: March 26, 2009, 01:44:32 PM»
is there any point to this thread

There WAS.... But now I'm just having fun pissing people off apparently. 8D ilu lala.

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #20: March 26, 2009, 01:46:15 PM»
well if thats the case then this thread is locked.