turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Jeez, people...RELIGION ONOES  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Sedde

Jeez, people...RELIGION ONOES
«: April 06, 2009, 10:47:50 AM»
I figured I'd put this topic here in case it got all drawn-out and/or heated.

Over the past year, I have decided to learn more about the Roman Catholic church. It's something I've always been curious about, like it was just out of my reach. Since I met my boyfriend Lukas, who is Roman Catholic, it's been much easier to break into the circle and get down to the nitty-gritty of what the church does.

Now that I've decided to "announce" that I will be joining the church, one of my old friends popped up from nowhere and started freaking out on me, giving such bogus reasons against it as "that stuff about crackers turning into Jesus LOL!!!" or  that I'm "appeasing my pseudo-intelligent sex interest." Neither of those things are true, as there were many coincidences that happened that pointed me down this path.

My question is...
What drives people to try to prove that every religion ever is wrong and that you're stupid for wanting to be a part of one?

Keep in mind, I personally would never force my beliefs on someone else, and I wasn't trying to convert anybody by saying this is what I wanted to do. So um, what's the deal?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:52:22 AM by Sedde »

Offline Eevee

Re: Jeez, people...RELIGION ONOES
«Reply #1: April 06, 2009, 01:28:52 PM»
I'm personally not interested in religion only because I've been around alot of religious people who look down on others who are not their religion and treat them like they're worthless and then try cramming it down the throats of those who aren't interested. And not to mention alot of wars are fought in the name of God or another higher being depending on the religion as an excuse to kill without seeming like blood-thirsty heartless monsters.

I respect that you find happiness with the religion you have chosen and appreciate you not forcing your beliefs on others. I just wish there were more who are as respectful as you are :\

As for your question, some people do it to look cool, others do it to cope with their feelings about religion, death, and a higher being making the calls on how we are treated after death.

Offline Azula

«Reply #2: April 06, 2009, 01:30:49 PM»
what drives people to prove religion is right and shove it in people's faces?

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #3: April 06, 2009, 01:35:25 PM»
I'm nondenominational right now due to other people. When I told my best friend that I didn't know what religion to believe she started crying and said I'd go to hell. ._.;;;

I think some people do it out of fear of something different. They don't know the other religions so they cling on to theirs. And they believe in the myths of each religion, whether its true or not. People always tend to make up something about something they don't know well. Also people who are in their certain religion sometimes tries to "convert you" or some bullshit as if you're not good if you're not in their religion. And don't get me started on the door to door people ;-; they scare me.

I hope one day people will be more tolerant of others, or respect them for their own decisions. Until then I won't put myself in a religion.

Offline Azula

«Reply #4: April 06, 2009, 01:47:18 PM»
And don't get me started on the door to door people ;-; they scare me.

yeah man it's perfectly acceptable that jehova's witnesses can go solicit you to join their cult and it's perfectly acceptable that the westboro baptist church can go to a dead soldier's funeral and call him a fag because he fought for THEIR freedom to even be able to say that. totally acceptable for that. but GOD FORBID i fucking call god and religion a lie and calling someone an idiot for believing their shit.

Offline La-la

«Reply #5: April 06, 2009, 01:54:40 PM»
i agree with you tina.

i can see this thread getting crazily out of hand and i hope it doesn't.

Offline Tate

«Reply #6: April 06, 2009, 01:58:50 PM»
(I've made it a game in figuring out new ways in making the door to doorers go away, when a simple 'not interested' doesn't suffice.)

Also agree with worm and lala.

I personally have a hard time not being condescending with religious people because of how ill I've been treated by those who are religious (don't get me started on the big fat women who go 'I'll pray for you!' when they're too much of losers to get in an actual fist fight or somesuch). Most religious people use their religion as an excuse to call you nasty stuff or insult you.

I also grew up in a rather 'facts or I don't believe you' manner, and have a huge dislike for the 'just believe it' form of logic. While I won't go find religious people to prove them wrong, if it becomes a subject and they begin to condemn me, I WILL get nasty with them. But that's only reasonable.

IPGD

«Reply #7: April 06, 2009, 02:38:36 PM»
I also grew up in a rather 'facts or I don't believe you' manner, and have a huge dislike for the 'just believe it' form of logic. While I won't go find religious people to prove them wrong, if it becomes a subject and they begin to condemn me, I WILL get nasty with them. But that's only reasonable.
This.

I love science more than my own mother. People who use "God did it" as a substitution for science and actively condemn modern scientific thought make me enraged. People who let science coexist with their faith confuse me, but I take no issue with them.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #8: April 06, 2009, 02:52:14 PM»
People who let science coexist with their faith confuse me, but I take no issue with them.

I do that. I was a self-proclaimed agnostic for a loooong time, because when you get into the higher-ups of science (hello atomic theory?) there are some things that just can't be explained. For example, what's holding atoms together anyway? Don't go saying gravity or anything, gravity doesn't apply at that level. I certainly don't agree with every word out of the Bible, or even half of it probably...but I do believe that we could not have gotten here today purely by chance. I think there was a little bit of a push and a shove one way or another, to get us here. Beings that are self-aware.

Also, Tina, I am NOT saying that I'm one of those crazy-religious people. I grew up with my dad as a minister, I HATED religion. Just...now, it has provided me with some stability, some peace and calm once a week at least. Some structure.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:54:05 PM by Sedde »

Offline Azula

«Reply #9: April 06, 2009, 02:57:51 PM»
i never said you were one of them. i was using them as justification as to why i am allowed to shit all over one's religious beliefs in a dignified manner. putting words in my mouth tsk tsk.

ps atoms are held together because of the magnetic pull the protons and electrons give out to each other. but they never come together because of the electrons. :~( poor things.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:59:42 PM by w0rm »

Offline Tate

«Reply #10: April 06, 2009, 03:06:18 PM»
ps atoms are held together because of the magnetic pull the protons and electrons give out to each other. but they never come together because of the electrons. :~( poor things.

(I think she's talking about that one discovery channel documentary they did last year about dark matter and such. Maybe mixed up a little. ANYWAY..)

Offline Azula

«Reply #11: April 06, 2009, 03:07:46 PM»
well in THAT case this is where dark matter comes from:

IPGD

«Reply #12: April 06, 2009, 03:08:09 PM»
I do that. I was a self-proclaimed agnostic for a loooong time, because when you get into the higher-ups of science (hello atomic theory?) there are some things that just can't be explained. For example, what's holding atoms together anyway? Don't go saying gravity or anything, gravity doesn't apply at that level.
The electromagnetic force and strong force. There are much crazier things than atoms.

Either way, "Science doesn't know yet" doesn't mean "it can never be explained". I don't understand why not immediately knowing everything makes people so uncomfortable.

And edit because I didn't catch it before:
but I do believe that we could not have gotten here today purely by chance. I think there was a little bit of a push and a shove one way or another, to get us here. Beings that are self-aware.
Why not? Who says there weren't an infinite number of failed universes before us? Or ones that exist alongside us, for that matter.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:12:41 PM by Matter »

Offline Azula

«Reply #13: April 06, 2009, 03:17:02 PM»
there are things that we absolutely cannot possibly comprehend such as time and the other 6-7 dimensions. we live in time, but we are unable to comprehend it, thus, cannot see it as we see the first, second and third dimension.

it's rather apparent there were several other attempts at making a species of sapien that can stand against the pressures of survival, intelligence, and emotion. *insert lengthy discussion of evolution*

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #14: April 06, 2009, 03:45:07 PM»
Funny. Back when people didn't know what a bacteria was 'God's Hand' decided who was to get infected or not. Just because we don't understand it now... doesn't mean there isn't a scientific explanation for it.

Religion is something that gives people either
a) a reason to live life without driving themselves nuts because they don't know what to expect after they die
b) power over others by scaring them into doing certain things
c) an identity because they are unsure what is right or wrong

People think religion is wrong because religion is an exploit for many things. Aka people get scared into believing "I'll go to hell!" for one. Another is that religions preach tolerance but the next thing you know you're going to burn in hell for loving the same gender.

Religion isn't wrong. It's the way people use it that's wrong and push it down people's throats. :D

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #15: April 06, 2009, 04:02:55 PM»
my tl;dr opinion on this:
my parents and oldest brother are christian, but I'm an atheist (or for fun I say I'm a pastafarian :P). I don't mind people who believe in religions, as long as no one's trying to tell me what to believe and say I'm "going to hell if I don't believe in their god". Lately there's so much anti-religion stuff going around, especially videos like crazy christian mothers yelling at random people --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STFT0C5Hu8M and because there's so much of that stuff floating around, it makes people thing that ALL religious people are insane freaks.
Also, I can't stand people who will completely bash others for being christian/catholic/etc. Just because you don't believe in a god doesn't mean that you should complain and try to prove why god isn't real.
I say just let people believe what they want to believe. If you think the universe was created by a giant flying severed tentacle named Prometheus, then go for it. No one's going to stop you. they might call you a freak though. :c
There's always going to be people on both sides shoving their beliefs down your throat.

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #16: April 06, 2009, 04:11:39 PM»
Cross-posted from FAM:

Keeping this short and sweet for now.

This forum is for INTELLIGENT debate!

There will be NO FLAMING OF ANY KIND. Please keep your topics and replies well-thought and RELEVANT.

To elaborate:

If you have nothing intelligent to contribute, don't.

If you're going to just tl;dr a comment, don't reply.

Don't attack the person making the post; it means you've already lost the argument.

If you're going to post just for the sake of pushing buttons, don't post at all.

I will be more than happy to update these if the need arises.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #17: April 06, 2009, 04:18:24 PM»
I agree 100% with Beep and the end of Lovedoll's thingy-do. It's the extremists on both sides that kinda ruin it. :\ I guess on the internet there seems to be more of the anti-religion crowd, I guess? Especially on Furc, because as my friend said...
Alex: The other reason I can't be religious is because I'm a furry, and I'm pretty sure that any religion dictates all furries are going straight to hell

Offline Mredria

«Reply #18: April 06, 2009, 04:22:52 PM»
I think shoving religion down someone's throat and shoving atheism down someone's throat is the same thing in terms of irritating.
It's the same reason too. People like to be right, and people like to be right even more when they perceive people around them as being wrong. They get worse in groups.
---I apologize---

Offline Anarchy

«Reply #19: April 06, 2009, 04:27:24 PM»
Religion is a stupid construct dreamed up by people who want to feel like life has some kind of greater purpose and they are better than everyone else.

I don't just not believe in god, I don't believe in religion period. But it's also something I hate talking about and typically if someone brings it up that's all I will say. In the end, you can't argue with religious people, their explanation is, and always will be 'JUST... GOD! OMG!'.

If you're religious and you keep it to yourself I'm cool with that, whatever makes you feel good, just don't come to me with it.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #20: April 06, 2009, 04:53:10 PM»
science tends to solve things in time. that's the whole point of research. any unknowns will most likely have a reason with better technology and better understanding.

as far as religion goes, i don't necessarily see any proof behind it. either way, i still respect those who believe in something and will let them be. the people shoving their opinions down your throat are the ones who don't believe two opposing ideals can coexist without interfering, or believe that one is an absolute and no other options can be tolerated.

people look at scientology with skeptical eyes, when i have that same viewpoint on religion as a whole. but i do nothing of it. live and let live.

Offline Green

«Reply #21: April 06, 2009, 04:56:41 PM»
Personally, I'm agnostic. I don't believe in any forms of deities, but I do not deny their existence. Just to have it clear.

The last 2 years, I've studied religions. From New age, to Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Old Norse mythology, Greek/Roman/Hellenistic religions, Shamanism, Sami Religions and Indigenous religions. So, I know quite a bit about religions. <3

I *love* religion, I do. I really do, but the main problem as I see with it, is that it can't be discussed properly. Everyone wears goggle of some kind, either you are a firm atheist who denies all form of any deities, or the opposite of being a firm believing religious person of any form of religions, often tends to be set that *their* point of views are correct, and everyone wrong. Of course, I do not say that everyone does it, but that's often the case when it's discussed or mentioned, and therefore religious discussions tends to end up heated and out of line and sadly becomes rude.

But, if both parts would manage to remain respectful for each others' believes, do I think that all religions would benefit from it.
Yet, I do understand that people have this urge to prove they are right, if you are pagan or catholic or atheist, it doesn't really matter once someone tries to force their views down your throat.

It does however seem to me, that sometimes, when people bash a religion or view, they tend to forget that religion is highly individual. Actually, it seems happen all the time, no matter what. I mean, just because the Pope said that condoms doesn't help against the battle against AIDS, doesn't mean that every Catholic supports the view.

If I believed, I'd be a Catholic I think. Christianity is by far one of the more interesting ones. Along with Hinduism.

Offline sarragh

«Reply #22: April 06, 2009, 05:00:04 PM»
Religion is a stupid construct dreamed up by people who want to feel like life has some kind of greater purpose and they are better than everyone else.

People say "OH NO, (BLANK) IS SHOVING THEIR RELIGIOUS VIEWS DOWN MY THROAT" but it works the other way around, too; especially with comments like that. By bashing religion, you're shoving YOUR views down religious peoples' throats. Live and let live, dude.

Offline Azula

«Reply #23: April 06, 2009, 05:04:18 PM»
shoving views down someone's throat consists of bashing their persona, not bashing the religion itself.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #24: April 06, 2009, 05:17:36 PM»
People find something to believe in that helps them feel justified and confident to go through life.

Naturally they want their friends and family to feel the same way not realizing that everyone achieves that feeling differently.

Me? Agnostic. There might be something up there, but I'm too logical to buy into many of the god concepts and unfounded restrictions many religions place on their congregations. Christianity is split into a million little factions. You have Hassidic jews and barely practicing ones. And you have the every day church goer and people like me who decided to just live good lives without there having to be some judging god in the picture.

I'm guilty of the OP's point too. I often encourage my religious friends to think for themselves rather than swallow the word for word preaching of their religious books. Ah well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:19:38 PM by Hugo »

anything