turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: pricing help pleaase !  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Flu

pricing help pleaase !
«: April 08, 2009, 11:57:03 AM»
so i`m generally new at ports & haven`t drawn at all in the computer for like a year, let alone ever tried to sell anything. so i`m looking for criticism & advice on pricing. :)

here are my latest ports:

and character art & sketches:

what should i charge for portsÉ (ughh question mark isn`t working)
and for character artÉ

edit: if you're going to point out what's wrong with my pictures, please include some sort of advice on how to fix it aswell. thanks :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:36:48 PM by Doom »

Offline Flu

Re: pricing help pleaase !
«Reply #1: April 08, 2009, 08:38:01 PM»
lol it`s sad, i didn`t even ATTEMPT to shade in both of those pictures.
unfortunately i dont have any real work to put up here, i can do a lot better than this.
but thankyou :)

oh & may i ask what three color syndrome is É
i know ive heard of it before but i forget D:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:41:57 PM by Doom »

Offline Tate

«Reply #2: April 08, 2009, 08:57:07 PM»
It's when you only use three colours, base, shade, and highlight. Instead of adding depth with more than three colours. See my port in my icon, verses yours. Far more shades.

Offline La-la

«Reply #3: April 08, 2009, 08:58:27 PM»
2-3 gd for either

Offline Sedde

«Reply #4: April 08, 2009, 09:11:10 PM»
I'd say 4-5 GD. Also, if you didn't really try with this stuff, why are you asking for pricing on this? o_o Are you going to not really try on everything you do for your customers...? I sure hope not, but in that case, we'd have to see more finished work to price you appropriately.

Offline Flu

«Reply #5: April 08, 2009, 09:29:02 PM»
yeah ive been having a lot of trouble with that , im not really sure how to do it D:
more practice i guess ?

IPGD

«Reply #6: April 09, 2009, 05:10:52 AM»
Pay more attention to the structure of your references (and I'm assuming you are using them, because your sense of placement and general proportion seem vastly advanced in comparison to your other areas of skill) than the contour. Your poses are arranged well, but there is very little definition to the figure. The clumsiness of the piece is exacerbated by the poor quality of your lineart, which ultimately prevents you from accomplishing a look of simplicity in place of the tight structural detail you are unable to create.

I would recommend either staying more faithful to your reference, increasing your general anatomical knowhow, or both -- and in any case, fixing your lines. My sketches are (from a line-economy standpoint) a lot messier than yours, but just the varied opacity of the brush I use contributes to a look that ultimately produces a neater result; my less confident lines are given much less emphasis than those I want to define the form of the figure with. With solid black lines, you're going to end up with a mess if they aren't laid carefully or at least cleaned up afterwords. The reason why (most) people sketch with pencils instead of pens is the same reason you should use a tool that's actually designed for the purpose; if you can't be neat, at least try to do messy well.

If you weren't referencing, a) I don't believe you! and b) you should be. Understanding the mathematical aspect of proportion is useful, but that instinctual ability to tell when something "just isn't right" that life drawing and referenced work affords you is just as important, especially in your earliest stages of artistic development.

I would also urge you to stop hiding/avoiding hands and try to experiment with different face and body types. Being able to draw, or only show examples of, a limited character type will also limit who will want to buy from you.

See my signature for book/tutorial recommendations; things you should immediately look into are Loomis's and Bridgman's books on figure drawing and this tutorial on folds.

it's like 6 am so this is probably the most disjointed piece of shit i have ever pushed out of my open sore of a brain. if it doesn't make any sense just read my damn signature

Offline Flu

«Reply #7: April 09, 2009, 08:52:05 AM»
thanks matter, that really helped. :)
& the things is, i've been taking 1 GD requests, so i don't feel like i should be putting all my effort into the pictures if i'm barely getting anything for it. it's just for practice.
when i feel like i'm doing better, i'm going to bump up my prices &, obviously, put more work into my art. i'm also used to using photoshop, and since i got my new laptop we can't find the cd for it. so i've been using SAI and gimp and random programs like that, which i have NO idea how to use. so alot of this is me experimenting, trying to figure it out. x.x

Offline Narnia

«Reply #8: April 09, 2009, 09:50:18 AM»
If you're taking 1GD requests for practice, but aren't trying to do your best.. Then you aren't really practicing.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Flu

«Reply #9: April 09, 2009, 10:17:13 AM»
that makes sense. :/
i'll try harder on my next one and post it, see what you guys think :)

Offline Flu

«Reply #10: April 09, 2009, 04:43:35 PM»
ahh, i see !
well thankyou very much, i'm gonna save that picture for future reference :P
and yeah with the hair - her bangs were supposed to be pulled back, making a 'bump' if you know what i mean. i obviously failed with trying to get that effect, but atleast i know for next time. hopefully my portraits in the future will have some more depth to them :)
and i never really thought about the lip thing, haha. im just used to doing that i guess.
and i've ALWAYS had trouble with lighting & shading, seeing how for years and years i simply didn't shade at all, so i'm only now trying to figure it out.
ty <3

Offline Flu

«Reply #11: April 09, 2009, 06:04:00 PM»
ahah i'll probably end up trying that later

Offline Flu

«Reply #12: April 09, 2009, 07:28:06 PM»
added a new picture, actually tried to shade properly . x.x
what do you guys think about this one ?

Sesruc

«Reply #13: April 09, 2009, 07:31:00 PM»
what kind of stock do you use..?

Offline Sedde

«Reply #14: April 09, 2009, 07:43:01 PM»
The body looks great, but that head...

I might redline later. Jeez, that face is disturbing. :( Or lack of one? The head also seems WAY too small.

Offline Flu

«Reply #15: April 09, 2009, 07:49:28 PM»
ahh i realized that later, aha.
i was focusing more on the shading then proportions :/ guess that didn't work out so well.
how is the face disturbing? other than the fact that it's small
the ref image used was picked out by the owner of the character

Sesruc

«Reply #16: April 09, 2009, 07:53:23 PM»
wait.. let me rephrase lol.
can we see the stock image?

Offline Flu

«Reply #17: April 09, 2009, 08:00:31 PM»
http://fc39.deviantart.com/fs21/f/2007/233/5/9/young_man_with_topaz_ring_by_artdibujar.jpg

im thinking i should've looked that up before i did the picture, didn't even notice that it was from deviantart. is it 'against the rules' then to have my picture up because i can't find anything that says it's okay for someone to use the picture as a reference or anything? .. i dont really know much about that stuff.

Offline Nny

«Reply #18: April 09, 2009, 08:11:16 PM»
The head... scares me.
Why is it so... square?
It'll look better if you round it out a little, imo..
IDK it kinda reminds me of this:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:15:27 PM by Nny »

Offline Azula

«Reply #19: April 09, 2009, 08:12:57 PM»
shading right now is the LEAST of your worries

edit: LMAO at squidward

Offline Flu

«Reply #20: April 09, 2009, 08:13:38 PM»
it'd be nice if you wrote something helpful, thanks.

Offline Azula

«Reply #21: April 09, 2009, 08:15:39 PM»
perhaps you really shouldn't be so worried about lighting when you can't even get anatomy right. because without the correct anatomy your lighting will be fuck3d.

edit: anatomy isn't the correct term but i can't think of anything else at the moment...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:17:50 PM by w0rm »

Sesruc

«Reply #22: April 09, 2009, 08:28:02 PM»

care to explain?
(btw, this is not the only thing that matches. if i shift the stock around a bit..)

Offline Jenni

«Reply #23: April 09, 2009, 08:33:22 PM»
it might be just me, but when i first saw your art i got the impression of "heavy referencing" if you catch my drift... it's just how some of the lines are done or some inconsistencies. like something might look really good in one drawing, and in another it's really lacking........

edit: op nvm thank you sesruc i noticed that too. B)

Offline Flu

«Reply #24: April 09, 2009, 08:35:41 PM»
what do you mean explain?
if youre accusing me of tracing the picture it's definitely not the case
ive never traced a picture in my life, don't even know how
i looked off of it as a reference as i was told they wanted that exact pose
is heavy referencing bad when youre told to do it? :S