turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: crit this  (Read 1479 times)

Offline dro

crit this
«: April 14, 2009, 03:16:11 PM»

redline, harsh critique, anything you want. the only thing to keep in mind is that the nose on the first is un-prominent on purpose, he is a ~*~satyr~*~ and i give mine flattish, goaty faces. on the second... it is supposed to be a cat. so i think the ears are too Rodentine

omg it's christmas

Offline Miserable

Re: crit this
«Reply #1: April 15, 2009, 10:14:25 AM»
With the satyr port, make sur eyou pay more definition to the face outline, like for example jaw bones and cheek bones should be more defined. If your looking for strictly anatomy I believe that the smile is way to far up the face, but maybe you were going for that. The neck on the one side in my opinion looks a little flat, maybe you try thickening it for a more dimensional shape. And lastly, I think you may want to broadan the shoulders, they look a little small for his head.

Im on my laptop so its not exactly how it should be, or how I would do it.
You have the right concept in my opinion just not the proportions.

Offline dro

«Reply #2: April 17, 2009, 04:17:10 PM»
With the satyr port, make sur eyou pay more definition to the face outline, like for example jaw bones and cheek bones should be more defined. If your looking for strictly anatomy I believe that the smile is way to far up the face, but maybe you were going for that. The neck on the one side in my opinion looks a little flat, maybe you try thickening it for a more dimensional shape. And lastly, I think you may want to broadan the shoulders, they look a little small for his head.

i was in fact going for unnatural smile, but thank you for everything else ::

Your lines are messy messy messy. The thickness of an outline should be 1px thick only.

i will have to gracefully ignore this because i love my messy lines, though idk i'll consider it.

Offline Dolly

«Reply #3: April 17, 2009, 04:50:39 PM»
I'd advise you to ignore Youlanda's comment as lines don't have to be 1px wide to work, nor do they have to be perfectly symmetrical if more than 1px to work, either.

That aside, I'd suggest you get a little more comfortable with understanding lighting and shading.  Your coloring as is is very flat and highlights and shadows are nearly non-existent.  There are plenty of good tutorials on how lighting works on solid objects out there, and as I am too lazy to A. provide my own or B. link to one I'll just refer you to the following link I think you'll find rather useful: www.google.com

I'd also suggest that you try to do some backgrounding.  Boring flat colors are boring.

As for the anatomy and such, I'd assume you have a decent foundation going as far as knowing where the landmarks of the face are and how they should look from what I can tell, though I can't really determine this because both examples are in similar poses and at 3/4s perspective.  If you provided a little more variation in your examples it'd be easier to critique.

Offline Kiss

«Reply #4: April 17, 2009, 06:02:08 PM»
Mouth looks a bit messed up :( But I think it's really good
~ poodddddddddddy~

IPGD

«Reply #5: April 17, 2009, 10:27:23 PM»
Wider than 1px can work, but it just looks messy and inconsistent here. I'd at least clean up the lines on his face and body -- the hair could probably stay the way it is and be fine, since it looks like it's supposed to be messy hair -- or create a more uniform level of thickness all around.

Offline dro

«Reply #6: April 18, 2009, 02:12:46 AM»
@Dolly: Thank you for critting :: I agree that the Rut port shading is sort of flat, but I had some purpose for keeping it that way when I uploaded it LOL. i'm def looking into the shading. as for the flat color background, i thought it looked rather classy with him (i usually do backgrounds, rutland/niko/drehd are weird exceptions). i'll keep the variation/etc in mind, i've already been trying to push myself to do less static. rutland is just vapid city.

@Youlanda: they're not an outright attempt, but i usually do the raw outline from a pencil sketch and feel that it sometimes manages to keep the loose feel. i have no idea about the canon artwork thing so uhh. and feel free to link a tweak, i didn't post for crit to have people quietly slip crit under my door while i sleep and then run off for fear of my bawling.

@Matter: i did a complete 'clean' line of it and i'm gonna mess with combining the two.

Offline Dolly

«Reply #7: April 19, 2009, 09:28:10 PM»
Np bro.  I know once upon a time i was scared shitless of going crazy with lighting in ports for fear that it'd look shitty.  Until one day I did go crazy with shading a used the full remap spectrum for each color and it turned out pretty decent.

...Point being don't be intimidated to try new shit, and if the shading was that way intentionally well then cool.  8)