turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Crit and stuff  (Read 952 times)

Offline Hufflepuff

Crit and stuff
«: April 23, 2009, 07:21:42 PM»
http://flashlighteyes.deviantart.com/gallery/
anything in there ^

Now that I've stopped doing commissions, I figured I'd see what anyone had to say.
I don't expect you to sugarcoat, just don't be nasty when you know it's not needed. I'll get the point, I promise!

I realize that the faces on my ports hardly vary at all, so no need to let me know about that.
I also realise Kross's boobage is far too perky for not having any clothing.

Please and thank you!

IPGD

Re: Crit and stuff
«Reply #1: April 24, 2009, 12:30:47 AM»
Do you do anything other than portraits?

Offline Hufflepuff

«Reply #2: April 24, 2009, 12:42:37 AM»
Do you do anything other than portraits?

Not lately, lol other than sketches for the ports themselves. :/ Not much content to critique as far as ports go is there? Guess I should'a thought about that
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:45:05 AM by Hufflepuff »

Offline Eevee

«Reply #3: April 24, 2009, 01:43:56 AM»
You should study breasts a little more. Not just in Kross's port but also in Shamrock(?)'s port.

Although the breasts seem pretty fine in the other ports that contain them, these two stand out mainly because the boob closer to the view looks alot larger compared to the boob that's further away.

In Kross's port this can be fixed if the cleavage line is lowered and moved toward the armpit closer to the viewer. Also, a boob is not perfectly round, the nipples (drawn or not) extend the breast outward, so the shading on breasts cannot be done just like a spherical object. Its more like... a cone.

On Shamrock(?)'s port, the same issue with the size difference occurs, in this port I think the best way to fix it is to enhance the boob that's further from the viewer a little on the top at the "nipple" but mostly on the bottom. The same shading issue also occurs with this portrait, however there is an extra added to the problem. As with any tight fitting shirt in the bust area, the fabric stretches from nipple to nipple, never really touching the skin in the cleavage, so the shading would continue straight from one nipple to the other, and no real defining cleavage really shows. Also with tight shirts, they like to wrinkle/bunch under the boobs.

With the eyes, I noticed you use a remap like boot or bracer to add some shading to eyes, but that can't always be used of course. My little tip (which I and others do) is to use the eye remap as the base color for eyes, and the badge remap as the darker (shadow) part of the eyes. Also, this is just a personal preference, adding shine to eyes give them a little life. Doesn't have to be a huge shine, could just be one pixel large, but it seems to help no matter the case.

Over all with fur, not sure if its just the colors chosen to display them in or if you're only using the first 4 lightest shades, but you could go a little more in depth with shading. I like to use the second-lightest fur remap shade as the base and use the next 3-4 shades, and for darker areas like armpits, i go as dark as i think it may be necessary.

Also, not really able to tell but I know not many people do this, but adding shadows where they should be add a pretty nice touch to a portrait (and any image all together). For example, shadows under hair that cover part of the face/shoulders, or say like the bandanna in the Shamrock(?) port or the fur that the collar/whatever on Jet's port should be casting a shadow on.

Hope these help, if not then just study your body anatomy and how light casts shadows from different angles
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:47:03 AM by Eevee »

IPGD

«Reply #4: April 24, 2009, 04:06:10 AM»
Not lately, lol other than sketches for the ports themselves. :/ Not much content to critique as far as ports go is there? Guess I should'a thought about that
About the only real thing you can critique with portraits is the actual pixel art technique. Something of such a small scale will only allow a very limited range of things you can assess. There's not much I can really say about, say, your grasp (or lack thereof) of anatomy or light and shadow, because so little of it can actually be expressed in a 95x95 square.  Fully "rendered" pixel portraits also completely obscure the structural foundation of your work, so even if I can see you have a problem, I won't be able to see why you have that problem.

Really, the best thing you could do to improve your portraits would be to do something other than portraits. It's such a limited medium that you have little chance to actually expand your ability. Also, see my signature for general book/tutorial references.

In Kross's port this can be fixed if the cleavage line is lowered and moved toward the armpit closer to the viewer. Also, a boob is not perfectly round, the nipples (drawn or not) extend the breast outward, so the shading on breasts cannot be done just like a spherical object. Its more like... a cone.

I would discourage that "cleavage line" thing, since a) non-silicon breasts aren't really going to show any cleavage if they're not being held up by anything, and b) that's a very... symbolism kind of thing. Don't think of it in terms of lines or pictures (e.g., "the collarbone is a curvy line with two notches somewhere on the chest", "there's a Y shape between the boobs", etc). Try to understand the actual form and function of the shape/body part you're drawing, because it's a lot more complicated than anything that can be described with symbols.

The breast is actually a sort of teardrop-shaped bag that's anchored to the pectoral muscle/armpit:

Notice that the breast expands both in towards the middle of the chest and outwards. A lot of people make the mistake of not letting any of the breast go any further than than armpit line (your Shamrock port sort of has this), but it can and does. I'm not sure if that made any sense, so look at pictures of boobs.

Tits also sag. Big tits sag more than little tits.