turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tablet?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Djali

Tablet?
«: May 08, 2009, 06:06:36 PM»
I haven't had my tablet long and can never find any good tutorials on how to get better lines, how to colour with it, etc.
Halp, please?

IPGD

Re: Tablet?
«Reply #1: May 08, 2009, 11:05:39 PM»
Same way you would draw with a pencil or any other traditional medium. Seriously, just practice until you get the hang of it.

If you want tutorials for digital inking/coloring/painting, you can find a few in my signature and here:
http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #2: May 08, 2009, 11:49:12 PM»
It also sometimes depends on the program you are using. And also if you have pressure sensitivity. Without pen pressure its just like using a mouse. I know for good lines on Photoshop you have to do some tweaking. I've always liked the lines produced from Paint Tool Sai. It took me a few weeks to get used to my tablet, it really wasn't that hard. Once you have the right tools its easy going from there.

You can also download brushes for Photoshop and Gimp on deviantart and other websites to  help with lines.

Offline Djali

«Reply #3: May 09, 2009, 01:49:27 PM»
Thank you both! What would I search for as far as the brushes?
And I use Photoshop 7.0, the pen pressure is on, but my lines always look so messy compared to everyone elses'.

IPGD

«Reply #4: May 09, 2009, 02:06:02 PM»
For digital inking, your best bet is to use the default round pencil tool at very very high resolutions (3000x3000 pixels at 300 DPI is the minimum size I work on anything at). When zoomed out, your lines will automatically appear antialiased and a lot of the shakes and jitters will be filtered out.

It may also be a problem with the way you actually draw lines. Are you making motions from your shoulder and elbow, or from your wrist and fingers? If you do the latter, that's probably a contributing factor. Your arm is much steadier than your wrist, and lines drawn from it will usually end up neater. It can be really, really hard to break that habit, though.

Offline Djali

«Reply #5: May 09, 2009, 02:25:57 PM»
I suppose the colouring would come far more easy had I been more familiar with layers. :(

Offline Lovedoll

«Reply #6: May 20, 2009, 09:14:29 AM»
If you haven't had your tablet for long the problem probably lies in the fact you're not used to it (assuming you've never had a tablet before). Coordination with the tablet to the screen is very different from paper and most people take months to get comfortable with it.

The first tip I always give people is to use the pen to navigate your computer with as often as you can. Using it to browse websites, click links and scroll up and down will get you more accustomed to the pen and the way it moves, thus making it easier to draw with as a result. Clean lines however is also a matter of technique and practice, as well as the program you use.

Photoshop is in general is a bad program to lineart with because no matter how smooth you may try to draw, the lines often end up jerky and not very fluid looking. I definitely recommend SAI for lines and Photoshop for coloring, instead. Working at enormous resolutions can make it much more difficult to get the drawing right, for reasons such as an older computer, the inability to keep proportions because you get lost in the size and the fact a lot of details also tend to vanish when resized. It is possible to get smooth lines at a low resolution, but it takes practice. Lots of it.

Photoshop coloring tutorial:
http://photoshop-tutorials.deviantart.com/art/Coloring-in-Photoshop-R-39632943

As for lineart? SAI is a very lightweight program and if you use quick, neat strokes of the pen, you can produce crispy clean smooth lines without too much effort. The slower you move the pen, the squigglier the lines turn out in general.

A lot of it is trial and error. Use DA to search for SAI lineart tutorials to help you out if you want to give it a shot. Google Photoshop Layers Tutorial to find out more. It's very simple though; a layer is just a transparent sheet of paper that you can draw on and safely remove the sketches or coloring beneath without having to disturb your lineart or other coloring. If you have lineart with a white background, do a search for the Multiply setting of a layer. It will make it so you can color beneath the lines without having to erase all the white.

Just... remember it is all about practice. A tutorial can't teach you how to draw your lines, it's just a guide to offer you a push in the right direction. Getting it right depends on how you develop your techniques after all.

Offline Djali

«Reply #7: May 20, 2009, 03:36:21 PM»
Thank you! That helps a lot.
As far as colouring, I just have a problem with keep a solid colour?
If I lift up from the tablet, then start to colour again, it's darker in the area that I went over again.
I can't seem to figure out what setting is doing that. :(

I feel ridiculous.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #8: May 20, 2009, 03:38:49 PM»
Thank you! That helps a lot.
As far as colouring, I just have a problem with keep a solid colour?
If I lift up from the tablet, then start to colour again, it's darker in the area that I went over again.
I can't seem to figure out what setting is doing that. :(

I feel ridiculous.

screenshot your workspace when it does it and i'll see if i can't find the problem with your settings

Offline Djali

«Reply #9: May 20, 2009, 04:00:47 PM»

Sesruc

«Reply #10: May 20, 2009, 04:03:29 PM»
your opacity is set to 86%
for solid colors you should set it to 100%

Offline Morgan

«Reply #11: May 20, 2009, 04:05:17 PM»
yup, i thought it was either going to be your opacity or your blend mode. just crank up your opacity to 100% and you're good to go.

Offline Djali

«Reply #12: May 20, 2009, 05:22:28 PM»
Oh, duh. Thank you guys.
If you have any more tutorials that may be helpful for you, that'd be great.
The more I have the easier it is for me to mix things up and try to find my own way.

Offline Djali

«Reply #13: May 22, 2009, 02:32:04 PM»
>:|

I don't know what happened, but now photoshop is being all weird.
It still has slight pressure sensitivity with my brush, but it's not that same as it used to be.
It's thicker and doesn't take much to make pressure against my tablet to make the line go thick.

I've re-installed the driver, removed all preference files, blah blah.
Everything anyone else has told me to do, and it hasn't worked.

Suggestions?

Sesruc

«Reply #14: May 22, 2009, 03:03:20 PM»
have you tried going to wacom tablet properties > pen > tip feel?
the softer the feel, the easier it is to make thicker lines with less pressure
the firmer it is, the more pressure you'd need to apply to make thicker lines

Offline Djali

«Reply #15: May 22, 2009, 03:16:27 PM»
I think that may've just been the thing I needed.
Thank you!

Offline Djali

«Reply #16: December 17, 2009, 04:37:20 PM»
I figured starting a new thread about this would be slightly pointless, so whatever.
I'm having the same problem as mentioned above.
It's been awhile since I've had time to use my tablet, and since then I created a different account than I had before (thus different settings, I reckon?) and now the pressure sensitivity won't work.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the driver for it.
Re-opened after re-plugging.

I'm wondering if I just don't have the same settings as I did before, because I do have slight pressure sensitivity, it's just really thick and I used to be able to use large brushes and still produce thinner lines (with larger images) and now it's just thick and slightly thinner lines?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
And yes, pen pressure is on under shape dynamics.

Here's a screen shot in case any outer settings are wrong.
http://de.tinypic.com/r/35kn9jd/6
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:39:00 PM by Djali »

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #17: December 17, 2009, 04:51:05 PM»
Go to shape dynamics in photoshop and make sure that your minimum diameter is set to 0%, like so:

To the right is what a brush with a larger minimum diameter would look like, which looks sorta like your problem.

If it's not that, it may just be an issue with the tablet still!

Offline Djali

«Reply #18: December 17, 2009, 04:57:46 PM»
Every time I try to set it to 0 it tells me that an integer between 1% and 100% is required, and sets it back to 1%.

Offline binkari

«Reply #19: December 17, 2009, 07:23:24 PM»
0 would most likely set it to no brushstroke. Try putting it at 1% and seeing if that gets you anywhere.

Offline Djali

«Reply #20: December 17, 2009, 07:26:51 PM»
1% is where it's been.

If it helps any, I'm using the Bamboo Pen tablet.

Offline schopenhauer

«Reply #21: December 22, 2009, 03:14:36 PM»
i use a bamboo, too---cause it was the cheapest with my best buy employee discount.

tbh, i have zero patience with photoshop and for the extremely simple things that i do... i won't fuck with it. i just use opencanvas or whatever.